PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak stop close to trail NC or SC

GrandCanyonWildflowr
12-16-2013, 16:01
Are any of these towns close to the trail?
NC: Hamlet, Southern Pines, Cary, Fayetteville, Raliegh, Selma, Wilson, Rocky Mount
SC: Yemasee, North Charleston, Kingstree, Florence, Dillon
Also a shuttle driver to get to the trail.
Thanks!

bamboo bob
12-16-2013, 16:51
Only I can Think of is Lynchburg, VA and get a shuttle to trail. Look on list here.

Alleghanian Orogeny
12-16-2013, 17:14
Are any of these towns close to the trail?
NC: Hamlet, Southern Pines, Cary, Fayetteville, Raliegh, Selma, Wilson, Rocky Mount
SC: Yemasee, North Charleston, Kingstree, Florence, Dillon
Also a shuttle driver to get to the trail.
Thanks!

Each of the listed NC and SC towns are on or on the edge of the Coastal Plain of their respective states. Thus each is at least 150 to over 200 miles from the nearest point along the AT.

AO

Slo-go'en
12-16-2013, 17:35
Each of the listed NC and SC towns are on or on the edge of the Coastal Plain of their respective states. Thus each is at least 150 to over 200 miles from the nearest point along the AT. AO

There is a route which comes closer to the AT which runs between New Orleans, Atlanta and Washington DC. It parallels the Appalachians, but all the stops (except for Gainsville, GA and Charlottesville, VA) are still a ways from the AT, but might be with in a reasonable shuttle distance.

You can down load an Amtrak route map in pdf format which is handy to find out how close you can get to someplace. That plus a state road map atlas and you can figure it out from there.

kofritz
12-16-2013, 17:35
maybe roanoke VA, atlanta, harpers ferry

HooKooDooKu
12-16-2013, 18:02
There is a route which comes closer to the AT which runs between New Orleans, Atlanta and Washington DC.
If it's still named the same, that's the old Cresent Limited Route. You can see the stops on the Amtrak Website (http://www.amtrak.com/south-train-bus-stations). Looks like there is a stop in Gainsville, GA. That puts it about 30 miles (as the crow flies) from Springer Mountain.

It looks like the next closest approach is around Washington, D.C. where you're about 50 miles away from the trail just north of Shenandoah National Park.

Coffee
12-16-2013, 18:14
You can get to Roanoke for $4 from the Lynchburg Amtrak: http://www.smartwaybus.com/amtrak.htm. The Amtrak stations in Charlottesville and Staunton are not too far from the trail. I almost used the Charlottesville Amtrak for a hike in SNP this year but ended up getting a ride to the trailhead instead.

George
12-16-2013, 20:47
harpers ferry Amtrack puts you right on the trail - otherwise the bus is the usual option - especially if you are coming from the west

George
12-16-2013, 20:54
You can get to Roanoke for $4 from the Lynchburg Amtrak: http://www.smartwaybus.com/amtrak.htm. The Amtrak stations in Charlottesville and Staunton are not too far from the trail. I almost used the Charlottesville Amtrak for a hike in SNP this year but ended up getting a ride to the trailhead instead.

if you do this you want to go all the way to blacksburg VT campus - then get a shuttle to pearisburg - I used the motel for a shuttle - this is about a month on the AT to Harpers Ferry

Siarl
12-16-2013, 21:27
I will be taking Amtrak to Atlanta. There are shuttles listed in Whiteblaze that will transport hikers from Atlanta Amtrak and the Airport to the trailhead. I think they are asking the going rate if you were take a taxi which is $55. However, when you take a taxi, that taxi drive is not going to put you up for the night, feed you, take you resupply and transport you to the trailhead at Amicalola Falls. Some of the shuttles will do just that. Type in shuttles for Amicalola Falls on the Whitebalze search bar and it should come up. I think.

Here is the link to the posting on Whiteblaze regarding shuttles etc.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?8530-Article-Getting-to-Amicalola-Falls-Springer-Mountain

Nuggz
12-19-2013, 16:08
You can get to the trail head at Daleville in about 10 minutes from downtown Roanoke. McAfees trail head is about 15 minutes. If anyone needs a ride from Roanoke, I could definitely hook it up.

GrandCanyonWildflowr
12-25-2013, 19:39
Thank you for all the great advice. May just go to DC and take the train to Harpers Ferry and hike south. Thanks again!

squeezebox
12-25-2013, 23:36
And you might catch a bus from the train to a smaller town with a bus station Asheville NC for example and then a cheaper shuttle.