PDA

View Full Version : Phone service

smithjv
12-16-2013, 19:52
Anyone have an idea which major cell phone carrier has the best overall reception/coverage for:
- Georgia/NC area?
- Entire AT

MEB
12-16-2013, 20:05
I used Verizon and never had any problems with coverage. There were only a handful of places I can remember not getting good reception.

-MEB

RF_ace
12-16-2013, 20:20
i had hardly any service from double springs shelter to Russell field shelter, iphone4s with verizon

Cro-Mag
12-16-2013, 20:26
I think Verizon is the preferred choice for the AT.

I use AT&T and had service about 60% of the trail.

HikerMom58
12-16-2013, 20:32
I agree with Cro-Mag... Verizon. It worked well for my daughter too.

George
12-16-2013, 20:33
Verizon has long been the best for coverage ( and the most $$$ ) - phone selection will also determine coverage, smart phones have less power, durability and battery life I use a flip phone commonly marketed for outdoor / construction type use

johnnybgood
12-16-2013, 20:39
Verizon has more cell towers in the south. As a rule of thumb the higher up on the ridge line the better chance to geting
service.
There are some dead zones along the regardless of the carrier but all in all Verizon has the goods when the AT is concerned.

johnnybgood
12-16-2013, 20:43
Should have said " along the AT" regardless of carrier.

fins1838
12-16-2013, 22:10
Verizon....No doubt

SunnyWalker
12-16-2013, 22:57
Straight Talk and Verizon

Drybones
12-17-2013, 09:18
I hate them, but Verizon is by far the best.

If you have AT&T you're out of luck, rarely ever had a signal.....BTW, hate them too.

Traffic Jam
12-17-2013, 09:23
i had hardly any service from double springs shelter to Russell field shelter, iphone4s with verizon

I know of 3 places to get cell service in GSMNP, Russell Field Shelter, occasionally at Icewater Spring Shelter if you keep the entrance at your back and walk to the edge of the clearing, and a beautiful open spot before you get to Pecks Corner Shelter (I think it's on Laurel Top?). I've had reception with both AT&T and Verizon but it seemed better with Verizon.

rusty bumper
12-17-2013, 09:47
Verizon served me exceptionally well from GA to ME.

Sandy of PA
12-17-2013, 09:51
I have had great luck with a $20 Tracphone. If I kill it with water or shock I can get a new one at the next town. Three years and I even had coverage thru the Smokies this year. I have the AT done from Springer to High Point NJ.

Starchild
12-17-2013, 10:14
Another Verizon worked where other's failed. ATT should not be allowed to use the letters AT in their name.

CarlZ993
12-17-2013, 12:55
Straight Talk and Verizon
This is what I used. Android phone (Samsung). Worked better than most. I traveled w/ a buddy who had a contract Verizon phone that had better coverage that I did. He was able to roam with some other carriers that I couldn't. But, he paid a lot more for it. Oddly enough, I had no coverage in a couple of trail towns that surprised me - Hot Springs & Harpers Ferry.

max patch
12-17-2013, 13:18
I think Verizon is the preferred choice for the AT.

I use AT&T and had service about 60% of the trail.

Can you (and others) clarify what you mean by this.

When you say 60% are you referring service along the entire 2,000 mile trail or service in trail towns (i.e., was in 20 towns and service in 12 of them). I'm asking because I really don't care if I have service in the woods or not, but I'd like service in town as close to 100% as possible.

slbirdnerd
12-17-2013, 13:37
Verizon, but I had limited service in the valleys and great service on the mountains.

Astro
12-17-2013, 14:06
I know of 3 places to get cell service in GSMNP, Russell Field Shelter, occasionally at Icewater Spring Shelter if you keep the entrance at your back and walk to the edge of the clearing, and a beautiful open spot before you get to Pecks Corner Shelter (I think it's on Laurel Top?). I've had reception with both AT&T and Verizon but it seemed better with Verizon.

I also had good reception on Rocky Top (with Verizon).

daddytwosticks
12-17-2013, 17:10
I also had good reception on Rocky Top (with Verizon).
Used my Verizon flip phone to talk to my wife from the top of Rocky Top in a dense fog bank this past Labor Day weekend. Oh the memories! As stated above, Verizon is best down south. Highest elevation you can get to helps also. :)

bamboo bob
12-17-2013, 17:38
I wasn't going to switch phones for a hike. My ATT worked fine in the towns and not in the woods. When I got in mid VA it worked fine everywhere. My first hike with just pay phones worked well so I really can't say I missed it. Actually at some high points in the south it worked too. I can't say I ever needed it, except there are no pay phones anymore. In an emergency I bet someone will help you out.

Cro-Mag
12-28-2013, 22:55
Can you (and others) clarify what you mean by this.

When you say 60% are you referring service along the entire 2,000 mile trail or service in trail towns (i.e., was in 20 towns and service in 12 of them). I'm asking because I really don't care if I have service in the woods or not, but I'd like service in town as close to 100% as possible.
Sorry, I meant over the entire trail. I had service is 90% of towns I stopped in. It is always a bummer when a town doesnt have service.
Most members on here would scold me for admitting this (not that I care) but I kept up with my fantasy baseball team on my entire hike. I also posted a lot of pictures to Facebook from my tent.