PDA

View Full Version : Bryson Book=Redford & Newman MOVIE!

Jaybird
08-28-2005, 13:38
From Reuters News Service:

Redford and Newman may pair up again on screen
Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:55 PM ET

By Claudia Parsons
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Robert Redford may soon be reunited on screen with Paul Newman but don't expect a sequel to "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" or "The Sting," which paired one of Hollywood's most popular double acts three decades ago.

"All these years went by and nobody came up with any ideas that were anything but corny and kind of low grade so we just decided probably that wasn't going to happen," Redford said.

"But now there's something rolling around that we're talking about it, and the real question is whether he can remember his lines or not," the 68-year-old Redford said in a dig at Newman who turned 80 this year.

Media reports earlier this year suggested the two would pair up in an adaptation of Bill Bryson's travel book "A Walk in the Woods," the story of the author's hike through the American wilderness with a friend.

Redford said he was superstitious about discussing details of projects that were not finalized.

"I think Paul and I are probably alike in that we're reluctant to talk about something that is not real yet, but we are talking about it," he told reporters in New York while promoting his new film "An Unfinished Life."

Redford said it was surprising considering Hollywood's penchant for remakes that nothing had come to fruition since the mob and gambling film "The Sting" in 1973 and the 1969 hit "Butch Cassidy," about two bank robbers who flee to Bolivia.

"The stuff that came to us wasn't any good," Redford said. "(They said) can you do a sequel to 'The Sting?' No, leave that one alone ... don't try to milk it."

"What about a sequel to 'Butch Cassidy?' Well the guys died in it, what is it going to be, a spiritual film? Well how about a prequel? That's pretty desperate."

One film that he is planning a sequel to is "The Candidate" from 1972, in which he played a Democratic Party candidate for the Senate who has no hope of winning and who finds his ideals compromised by the realities of politics.

Redford said in the sequel he will play the same character 30 years on, who is now president of the United States.

"Right now I'm frightened for my country," he said in one of several political asides during a news conference by the actor who makes no secret of his liberal leanings.

"Actors have every right to speak out but they carry more responsibility to know what they're talking about," he told Reuters in an interview, adding that he enjoyed "lobbing grenades from a distance."

But he said he had no intention of stepping into active politics like action star Arnold Schwarzenegger, who is now governor of California.

"I would have to be just consumed with ego and self-absorption. When you enter the political arena it's so full of compromise and so full of knots, you tie yourself up," he said.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

Bob Baker
08-28-2005, 18:35
Already been mentioned...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10016.

attroll
08-28-2005, 19:02
Yes it has been mentioned many times. If only people would read the site and add the they already going subject instead of jumping on and starting a new one we could avoid reptitive post. No getting on you Jaybird just trying to make a point here for others.

MOWGLI
08-28-2005, 20:43
One of the ways this can be avoided is by clearly & appropriatly naming new threads. The other thread is called "Heard on Whitblaze First". How in the world is anybody supposed to undwerstand what that thread is about?

attroll
08-28-2005, 21:34
You are right about that to Jeff. Wish there was some type of way to help eleveate this somehow.

generoll
08-28-2005, 22:36
yeah, it's not always easy to navigate in some of the forums. no noticable standardization and you kinda have to just blunder your way though.

Jaybird
08-29-2005, 10:03
Yes it has been mentioned many times. If only people would read the site and add the they already going subject instead of jumping on and starting a new one we could avoid reptitive post. No getting on you Jaybird just trying to make a point here for others.

YES, it HAS been mentioned before...if you'll note the date on the REUTERS NEWS SERVICE release...i assumed it contained NEW info....

i was wrong.

BUT, since we dont have EDIT buttons on posts any longer...i couldnt pull the post.

SORRY, fellow hikers,...dont get your COOLMAX UNDIES in a WAD!

'Nuff said!

dream
09-03-2005, 01:59
Oh the anarchy! :)

saimyoji
11-26-2005, 17:20
Why is this post in the articles section?

attroll
11-26-2005, 17:37
Why is this post in the articles section?

I don't know. But I moved it. Thank you for pointing this out.

Cookerhiker
12-03-2005, 09:56
Dec. 4 Washington Post feature about Redford mentions his upcoming role in film starring as Bryson:

From article: <!--StartFragment --> "...Redford has a number of projects he will soon star in, including "A Walk in the Woods," from Bill Bryson's account of hiking the Appalachian Trail, and a movie about Jackie Robinson in which he will play Brooklyn Dodgers general manager Branch Rickey..."

Full article link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/02/AR2005120200276.html

I'm looking forward to the Jackie Robinson movie also.

MOWGLI
12-03-2005, 10:04
Dec. 4 Washington Post feature about Redford mentions his upcoming role in film starring as Bryson:

"...Redford has a number of projects he will soon star in, including "A Walk in the Woods," from Bill Bryson's account of hiking the Appalachian Trail....

Oh well. at least I can say I hiked the trail in 2000 before the crowds. Of course, 2000 was perhaps the most crowded year from a thru-hiker perspective, or so I've heard.

Speer Carrier
12-03-2005, 10:27
Do you think this movie will really prompt a huge number of people to try a thru hike, like the huge number of people that took up marathon running after Frank Shorter won in the Olympics? Could be, but remember, this influx will probably only affect the trail between Springer, and Neels Gap, for obvious reasons.

Speer Carrier

colbys
12-03-2005, 10:40
i think the at will explode like nothing else beforhand.i fear for the over use of the trail.talk about alot of potential thru-hikers who will have no idea what they will be getting into.but could be a good thing for the trail.more widespread recognition could mean in the long run,more care for the trail with volunteer work,and donations..
what i want to know,are they going to film the movie on the at itself,and where on the trail will it be filmed.will it be filmed during thru-hiking season or not?
any chance of gettin in the film for us thru-hiking alumni.no make -up needed for extras at all,just grab some thru-hikers and shoot.

MOWGLI
12-03-2005, 11:24
Do you think this movie will really prompt a huge number of people to try a thru hike, like the huge number of people that took up marathon running after Frank Shorter won in the Olympics? Could be, but remember, this influx will probably only affect the trail between Springer, and Neels Gap, for obvious reasons.

Speer Carrier

I think it'll affect the trail along its entire length. 99% of the trail users are and will always be day hikers. The masses will flock to see the trail - and most will stay within spitting distance of their cars.

I think there will also be a considerable spike in thru-hiker traffic for the short term. My guess is it'll be like nothing anyone has seen. Could you imagine a 200% increase in attempted thru-hikers, and what that would do to the resource?

Hopefully the film producers will be very generous and give a healthy sum to the ATC Land Trust, and give the ATC some publicity when the DVD eventually emerges. With Redford involved, there is a possibility that'll happen.

The one saving grace is that the film will proably not be made on the AT. If it was, people would want to flock to see certain places that are associated with key scenes from the film. Maybe we'll get lucky, and they'll film this thing in Romania - just like Cold Mountain.

Palmer
12-03-2005, 11:40
I hope that the crowds will die down by 2011 when we plan our thru. I also hope that they don't destroy the trail, although I supose they will at least change its character. Is there any possibility that the change will be for the better?
Fortunately, we've got a number of good trails here in Pennsylvania, so we can just stay off the AT for awhile.

rickb
12-03-2005, 11:40
One plus is that it could bring more international hikers to the AT.

weary
12-03-2005, 12:43
Media reports earlier this year suggested the two would pair up in an adaptation of Bill Bryson's travel book "A Walk in the Woods," the story of the author's hike through the American wilderness with a friend.
Fiction usually makes a better movie than facts, so it may make a great movie. Bryson didn't report on a trail that was anything like the trail I experienced. Nor do I expect the movie will either.

Sly
12-03-2005, 13:04
I think there will also be a considerable spike in thru-hiker traffic for the short term. My guess is it'll be like nothing anyone has seen. Could you imagine a 200% increase in attempted thru-hikers, and what that would do to the resource?

Since the attempts have slid nearly 50% since, I don't think there'd be any more than in 2000.

Youngblood
12-03-2005, 14:12
Since the attempts have slid nearly 50% since, I don't think there'd be any more than in 2000.
They make a popular movie centered on the AT with some sexy babes and every horn-dog in college will be thinking about hiking it.:cool:

Sly
12-03-2005, 14:23
Not the best place to go to satisfy your needs but I thought every horn-dog in college was hiking the trail as it is!

Tin Man
12-03-2005, 14:54
When they stage the scenes off-trail or in the studio, do you think they will get the blazes right? It would be a shame if they painted them sideways. However, it would be accurate to Bill Bryson's hike if they painted many of them blue AND most of them yellow. ;)

Nean
12-03-2005, 17:43
I don't see why this subject being dicussed before counts for anything. Not everyone was around then. Tired of the subject? Move on. Heck, I can think of several subjects that have been discussed to death but a new thread will always resurface. Big deal. The AT will always be crowded if you walk in one. One can however, hike outside the crowd. Too many people? Blame your parents!:D

Sly
12-03-2005, 19:23
If the movie does come out, I'll be hiking Georgia again, collecting all the good discarded gear! :)

Panzer1
12-04-2005, 00:02
As a long time Karate instructor we noticed a large increase in new students when new martial arts movies like the "Karate kid" come out. The spike lasts for about a year and then dies off as the movie loses popularity.

I suspect the same would be true for a movie about the trail. We will see a short term spike in AT hikers that will die off in about a year..

Panzer

Ridge
12-04-2005, 05:22
The Outfitters are going to have a field-day. I also predict some great yard sales about a year after the movie.