PDA

View Full Version : Cold on AT

fireemt
12-18-2013, 10:56
I will be starting a 2014 thru hike on March 25-26
Question At night what is the coldest temp I should plan on?

Thank you

doobe01
12-18-2013, 11:16
This year it got down to single digits in mid to late March in Georgia. I started on March 15th. But that was in 2013, 2014 might be colder or warmer. I would bring cold weather gear that you know can keep you warm down to single digits. If you don't need it great, but getting caught without it would be a miserable time.

Pedaling Fool
12-18-2013, 11:22
I once saw it get into the 20's during that time frame, but it was accompanied by strong winds, so I do believe it was near zero with the wind chill factor; I could feel it through my tent.

hikerboy57
12-18-2013, 11:43
I once saw it get into the 20's during that time frame, but it was accompanied by strong winds, so I do believe it was near zero with the wind chill factor; I could feel it through my tent. this past spring I started on March 27 we had snow sleet freezing rain ice storms and temperatures down to the upper teens there was still snow in the Smokies till mid april

Pedaling Fool
12-18-2013, 11:48
this past spring I started on March 27 we had snow sleet freezing rain ice storms and temperatures down to the upper teens there was still snow in the Smokies till mid april
Yeap, luckily I just had snow that day, here's the day

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/p1030579.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=24271&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=6936)

RED-DOG
12-18-2013, 12:12
Plan on it being From single digits to below zero at night especially in the GSMNP, and expect snow also in the park but once you get to Hot Springs and the Erwin area it should start getting warmer, the days will be between mid 40s to 50s+. March is a pretty good month to start a thru-hike, i always started mine in Feb.

Tennessee Viking
12-18-2013, 12:16
In the south it can be anywhere from the single digits to the 40s. Elevations above 3500' add in some extreme windchill and cold damp weather.

garlic08
12-18-2013, 20:21
Agree with the above. I started in early April and had low teens a couple of times, for days at a time. With blowing snow. Do not underestimate spring weather in the Southern Appalachians, I learned.

But you can always pay attention to forecasts and bail out to town nearly everywhere, if you're not equipped for that kind of cold. (Consider the cost of town stays when you buy the cheaper sleeping bag!) I enjoyed having the entire GSMNP to myself for a couple of days during a spring blizzard.

moldy
12-18-2013, 20:36
Your coldest night at the start of your 2014 thru hike will be March 29th. The overnight low will dip to 29 degrees at your location. Remember that in the Southern Appalachian's with endless ups and downs that when it's cold, sleep down in the gap where it could be 15 degrees warmer than up at the top. On April 13th you will go up the Shuckstack and into the Smokey's where you will see overnight low's in the 30's.

hikerboy57
12-18-2013, 20:39
Your coldest night at the start of your 2014 thru hike will be March 29th. The overnight low will dip to 29 degrees at your location. Remember that in the Southern Appalachian's with endless ups and downs that when it's cold, sleep down in the gap where it could be 15 degrees warmer than up at the top. On April 13th you will go up the Shuckstack and into the Smokey's where you will see overnight low's in the 30's.
as far as sleeping down in the gap, a better position would be midway up the gap. cold air sinks, and gaps in winter can be very very cold indeed.you want to get out of the summit winds, but you dont want to go too deep down.

Deacon
12-18-2013, 20:44
as far as sleeping down in the gap, a better position would be midway up the gap. cold air sinks, and gaps in winter can be very very cold indeed.you want to get out of the summit winds, but you dont want to go too deep down.

Good advice, if you can find a level spot.

ShaneP
12-18-2013, 21:13
Good advice, if you can find a level spot.

Good thing for hammocks!

ezdoesit
12-18-2013, 21:15
Good thing for hammocks!
+1 for Hammocks :)

Many Moons
12-18-2013, 21:29
It can get real cold. You are a firefighter and emt? I am a full time capt. In raleigh fire,nc. I may see you in GSMNP around early April. Then jumping to hot springs April 20th? I go by Miller on the trail and trying to get to K by sections..... Only to these areas!!!!!, Guna try to make to Watauga Lake area this year. Good luck! Last year mid April I hit a 19 degree night after falling temps and rain the day before. I hike at 530am,but that morn about 8am after getting the courage to get out of down bag to put on frozen clothes, socks and shoes. Even my tent was frozen! Home and town looks real good in bad weather, toughen up! HIKE ON!!!

Miller
ILMT(I like my tent) SAD(Shelters are dirty)!!!!!!!

hikerboy57
12-18-2013, 21:33
oh yeah, btw, when its below freezing,once you get out of your tent, get the floor off the ground.the condensation that built up during the night will freeze the tent floor to the ground.

Rain Man
12-19-2013, 12:36
A couple of links to GSMNP weather, for what they might be worth to you--

http://www.outragegis.com/weather/grsm/

Historic averages, but off-hand I don't know where in the Park, if down low or up high or what, so beware--

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx#chart

As others have said, don't be fooled thinking southern AT temps at elevation are going to be moderate or warmer than northern. So far, my coldest, most miserable night on the trail was on Standing Indian Mountain in July, because I wasn't properly prepared.

Also, a "rule of thumb" that I've read more than once and have come to believe in is "don't send your cold weather gear home before Mount Rogers, in Virginia."

Rain:sunMan

scope
12-19-2013, 12:41
oh yeah, btw, when its below freezing,once you get out of your tent, get the floor off the ground.the condensation that built up during the night will freeze the tent floor to the ground.

Good thing for hammocks! Oh wait, somebody already said that.

George
12-19-2013, 16:37
lots of smart ass replies, not much info

to be conservative: bring gear (tested by you, not ratings) that will keep you comfortable at 10 F - this will keep you alive sub zero

to be of average care: 20 F

walk on the wild side: comfortable at 30 F

hikerboy57
12-19-2013, 16:53
lots of smart ass replies, not much info

to be conservative: bring gear (tested by you, not ratings) that will keep you comfortable at 10 F - this will keep you alive sub zero

to be of average care: 20 F

walk on the wild side: comfortable at 30 Fsmart ass replies? yours was the first. every reply was spot on.

MuddyWaters
12-19-2013, 23:06
Bring something rated at 20
If its colder wear all your clothing, you will survive

If its forecast below 10, head to town with everyone else.

MuddyWaters
12-19-2013, 23:08
Bring something rated at 20
If its colder wear all your clothing, you will survive

If its forecast below 10, head to town with everyone else and party for a day or two till it passes.

Lucy Lulu
12-19-2013, 23:17
In 05 I started mid-March with a 15 degree bag. I sleep cold and wish I had started with my zero bag. We got 4-6 inches of snow above Hot Springs and I was freezing!