PDA

View Full Version : What to wear as a rain pant on the AT?

Garrett1
12-18-2013, 12:12
Do people usually pack a separate hard shell pant and throw them on for rainy conditions? Any suggestions on UL rain pant options that are waterproof, such as maybe frog togs? I found the Mountain Hardwear Plasmic that are 7.2 oz, that doesn't seem too bad.

yaduck9
12-18-2013, 12:28
Do people usually pack a separate hard shell pant and throw them on for rainy conditions? Any suggestions on UL rain pant options that are waterproof, such as maybe frog togs? I found the Mountain Hardwear Plasmic that are 7.2 oz, that doesn't seem too bad.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/rain-kilt.htm

w00dchuck
12-18-2013, 12:56
Many people myself included do pack hardshell pants for rain. They won't often be used on the trail but when needed you will be truly glad to have them especially in cold wind. The biggest use for them however is to have something to wear while doing your laundry in towns.

slbirdnerd
12-18-2013, 13:13
I've been keeping a $3 pair of Tyvek pants in my pack for emergencies, but the Kilt may be the next cool gear item on my list.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24319&catid=867&clickid=searchresults

Slo-go'en
12-18-2013, 13:22
This is one of those "it depends" answers. If your starting before the middle of April, thier probably a good idea. They can help a lot in keeping you warm and with any luck, a little drier.

Personally, I don't bother. I use gaiters instead which aren't quite as hot and mostly to keep the bottom of my pants legs clean and crap out of my shoes.

As for the rain skirt, I haven't found that to be very effective. Doesn't keep me warm or dry. At least not the silnylon one I have. Bleeds through too quickly. I've been wanting to make a skirt out of Tyvek for some time now which I think might be more effective, but simply haven't gotten around to it yet.

Garrett1
12-18-2013, 13:50
[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;1826171]This is one of those "it depends" answers. If your starting before the middle of April, thier probably a good idea. They can help a lot in keeping you warm and with any luck, a little drier.

You're right, start date is an important factor. I do plan on starting between March 1-15. the skirt that yaduck9 seems like it would be great for warmer conditions, but I think for storms in the earlier part of my hike ill be better off with the pants.

Thanks, all

Garrett1
12-18-2013, 13:51
Not sure what I messed up there ^ ha oops

FarmerChef
12-18-2013, 14:54
I have tried the white tyvek pants as rain pants. In a quick rain shower that work great. But in an all day steady rain the water starts to bleed through after a couple of hours. Plus the tyvek material is not that strong. If you reinforce the crotch with duct tape you're probably ok but one little stumble and a stretched leg to catch yourself and it's the beginning of the end for the crotch.

I've wanted to try the rain skirt/kilt approach. I don't mind the neked legs problem, it's keeping my shorts dry that bugs me. I suppose I could just bring a bathing suit or some nylon shorts :P

blue indian
12-18-2013, 15:21
I saw someone using a piece of polycro as a rain skirt. She just wrapped and tucked like with a towel.

I thought this was a pretty good idea. Its cheap, light, and dual use.

Not sure how feasible it is but she was a gossamer gear trail ambassador so I assumed she's had enough trail miles to know what she was doing..

tiptoe
12-18-2013, 17:25
I take an old pair of Campmor rain pants. Not the lightest option, but they work. I wear them in camp when it's rainy, windy, and/or cold and when I'm doing laundry. I almost never hike in them because I'd overheat.

HeartFire
12-18-2013, 21:38
LightHeart Gear Rain Wrap (http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=45&zenid=cfab57e1399263d80f7893e19665d713) - it's not silnylon and can't 'wet out'

bigcranky
12-18-2013, 21:41
In cold weather I like hard shell rain pants. I still have a pair of old Golite Reed pants that are around 5 oz. For warmer weather my lovely wife made me a silnylon rain skirt that works very well. It keeps my shorts dry but lets me ventilate.

Slo-go'en
12-18-2013, 22:31
Since I always wear long gaiters during monson season in the spring and during the winter, I had my rain pants cut down and hemmed just below the knee. That gives me much greater freedom of movement around the knee and better ventulation. It's also a lot easier to put them on and take them off with out removing the boots first. (since they don't have side zippers, which always leak). Although I pretty much only wear the rain pants in the winter.

garlic08
12-19-2013, 09:43
My answer is seasonal. I brought real rain pants for my April start, needed them very much then, and sent them home in May. I never needed them again.

10-K
12-20-2013, 08:13
It just depends on when you start and your tolerance for discomfort.

The colder it is and/or the harsher the weather extremes the more I'd recommend "real" rain pants - I have Golite Tumalo's and love them - they patch great with McNeil's Tenacious Tape. :)

I use my rain jackets and rain pants more for wind protection more often than rain. A light base layer covered by a rain jacket/pants is often just the ticket for cold, windy hikes.

slbirdnerd
12-20-2013, 12:49
LightHeart Gear Rain Wrap (http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=45&zenid=cfab57e1399263d80f7893e19665d713) - it's not silnylon and can't 'wet out' Ooo, I like that! Thanks for sharing!

squeezebox
12-20-2013, 13:26
Rain KIlt??
A kilt is an extremely specific design. the back must be pleated, not sure if there is a required #, pleats are sewn down from waist to about the bottom of your butt. length just below the knee , very specific about where the belt loops are set. correct me but I do not think there is a waist band. Front is overlapped, ie wrap around skirt style. no sewn hem , selvage at bottom . So if that's not you're wearing, man up - girl up and realize you're wearing a skirt, nothing wrong with it.

Starchild
12-20-2013, 14:00
Rain kilt (and I don't mind one bit calling it a rain skirt, as it still keeps my balls dry - ya know when I am like carrying things like tennis balls and place them under the skirt to keep them dry), it allows great rain free ventilation which works much better then rain pants - which tend to get wet from the inside.

But in colder temps I go to some form of vapor barrier method and need some form of pants.

squeezebox
12-20-2013, 15:58
Starchild - exactly!!

MuddyWaters
12-20-2013, 18:20
What to wear as a rain pant on the AT?
How about rain pants in cold weather.
Nothing in warm weather.

10-K
12-20-2013, 18:34
What to wear as a rain pant on the AT?

How about rain pants in cold weather.
Nothing in warm weather.

That works. :)

Starchild
12-20-2013, 19:02
That works. :)

That works on hike naked day

handlebar
12-21-2013, 00:51
While I'm moving I find long pants especially with rain pants on top to be too hot. Even in 40F degree all-day rain, I'm comfortable hiking in my kilt topped with my ULA silnylon rain wrap. When I stop I set up my camp and stay nice and warm in my sleeping bag.

ednotmilkman
12-21-2013, 01:16
I go with gaiters and a campmor poncho that's big enough to go over my pack and still cover the front of my knees. Ventilates fine summer or winter with zip-off hiking pants. But if it is blowing cold rain, my legs will get wet, just not soaking cold - wet. If the rain turns slows up and I get warm, just temporarily flip up the front of the poncho over my shoulders, kinda sticking it under my pack straps to hold it outa the way.