PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Surprise Gone Horribly Wrong

tjforrester
12-18-2013, 14:30
I'm posting this on White Blaze because I want to publicly thank two hiking related people who helped me in my time of need, Jeff Patrick at Mount Rogers Outfitters and Diane at Cascade Designs.

I'm a long time hiker, can no longer do the miles because my knees complain too loudly, and recently turned to bike touring. A logging truck clipped my bike several days back and put myself, my bike, and my gear down hard. The collision was abrupt and violent and is something I will never forget. I am paying the price in pain, thankful to be alive.

I will also never forget the kindness shown at Cascade Designs in warranting the pump for my MSR International. I was honest when I talked to Jeff, telling him the pump was broken in a collision and I did not expect a warranty, nor would I lie to get one. He called Diane at Cascade Designs, told her the circumstances and she warrantied the pump anyway. This kindness was so unexpected that I wanted to make this post and give them both a big shout out.

So, thanks guys. You made my day.

I've decided to write about this experience and have started a journal if anyone is interested, was trying to cycle home to surprise my parents for Christmas. http://crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=354658

bfayer
12-18-2013, 14:45
Glad to hear you are OK. Hope you are back on the road soon!

As for Cascade Designs, I had a 25+ year old Whisperlite stove (Built way before they were owned by Cascade Designs) that had a mesh covered rubber fuel hose. It worked fine but it was cracking and was getting to the point where I was not sure if it was still safe.

I called them about the issue and they said they could not say without looking at it. They sent me a label and I sent it in. Two weeks later I got a box from them. I was expecting them to return my stove with a note saying it was unsafe and they will gladly repair it for $$.

What I got was a brand new stove with a note saying that they hope I get as many years out of the new one as I did the original. Zero charge.

I still feel a little guilty about that. But I can't complain about the customer service.

HikerMom58
12-18-2013, 14:46
Well tjforrester... Merry Christmas to you. You must feel blessed to be alive, like you said.

It's really nice of you to thank these people that helped you out, publicly. It's refreshing to hear about these acts of kindness instead of the horrible consequences of other people's behavior. (especially tragic this time of year) It seems we can't get away from those stories... this is a welcome change! :>)

I wish you well in your recovery and hope you can find a way to get to your parent's home for Christmas.

Kudos to the people that helped you out!!

Dogwood
12-18-2013, 14:54
+1 darn right - It's refreshing. If we all focused more on being grateful there would be fewer incidences of folks being offended, complaining, annoyed, and angry. Gratitude and appreciation just makes sense!

hikerboy57
12-18-2013, 14:57
Jeff and the guys at Mount Rogers Outfitters are top notch

10-K
12-18-2013, 22:45
Glad you're in one piece! Did I give you a ride to Sam's Gap with your bike when you were through Erwin a few weeks ago?

JAK
12-18-2013, 23:47
Nice of them, and glad you are ok. I nearly lost a friend this past spring in a bike accident.
Thanks Diane and Jeff. This means a lot.

Trailweaver
12-19-2013, 02:47
Wow! Merry Christmas to you! Glad you are alive, and hope your recovery goes well. Thanks for reporting good news on a good company.

sweeper
12-19-2013, 08:22
good to know that MSR is sold to cascade design?
also think you should submit this story to the bike manufacturer, maybe he would consider replacement expense or waver
we have many miles of rail to trail reclamation in the US check them out, be aware at least in Maine they are multi use, but potential damage from a 4 wheeler is more acceptable than a 18 wheeler ? must of hurt
good luck in recovery, often remote sites can be accessed by these
a really nice stretch is from Ellsworth ME to Calis ME

Starchild
12-19-2013, 08:29
I had mixed experience from Cascade Designs, Had a sleeping bag legitimately defective from them, didn't notice it till it got cold, and hey where are the feathers (in some chambers)? Emailed them in Lincoln, they replied went I got to N. Conway, they wanted me to bring the bag to a dealer, but we both saw that was not going to work, they asked me to photograph it, which I did. They got back to me I believe when I got to Maine, sent the incorrect bag to (town between Andover and Stratton) and it arrived a day later then I told them I would be there. They finally got me the correct replacement at Monson, but at that point I just mailed it home, went thru the 100 miles with my old one.

So in all I do have a new bag that has none of the thru hiker funk on it, but though they are willing to work with you, they are not understanding the needs of a thru hiker IMHO.

Pedaling Fool
12-19-2013, 09:10
That's why I always ride with a mirror; I watch everyone. Although, there's always a chance of getting hit, I've been hit 3 times and sideswiped once (I was able to keep the rubber side down, so I don't count that as a hit), but I've seen them all coming that makes a big difference.

Did you see it coming?

wornoutboots
12-19-2013, 10:13
So Glad your okay!! Heal Well!! I outfitted my wife with all new gear this year at MRO because they are true experts!! Nothing better than my wife having gear that will last for years upon years & her smile from ear to ear as we left the store :O)

Valley Girl
12-19-2013, 12:56
Glad you ok and have a wonderful Christmas!

Dogwood
12-19-2013, 13:43
That's why I always ride with a mirror; I watch everyone. Although, there's always a chance of getting hit, I've been hit 3 times and sideswiped once (I was able to keep the rubber side down, so I don't count that as a hit), but I've seen them all coming that makes a big difference.

Did you see it coming?

You better! Florida usually leads the U.S. in bicycle deaths from being hit by automobiles. Fla has few bicycle lanes, the intense sun impairs motorist's vision, and the high % of the sedentary elderly pop. is on a mind numbing asst. of prescription meds. One thing I did when riding in Fla is try to keep the sun at my back and ride with the flow of vehicles whenever possible.

In NJ, one of the WORST and most hazardous states overall to ride a bicycle, a bicyclist must ride defensively IMO. When I ride in Ocean County(Toms River area) if I don't ride extremely defensively I would be struck by an aggressive driving motorists about 1 times in 3. They aren't of the mindset to watch and yield to legally acting pedestrians or bicyclists.

Pedaling Fool
12-20-2013, 10:22
You better! Florida usually leads the U.S. in bicycle deaths from being hit by automobiles. Fla has few bicycle lanes, the intense sun impairs motorist's vision, and the high % of the sedentary elderly pop. is on a mind numbing asst. of prescription meds. One thing I did when riding in Fla is try to keep the sun at my back and ride with the flow of vehicles whenever possible.

In NJ, one of the WORST and most hazardous states overall to ride a bicycle, a bicyclist must ride defensively IMO. When I ride in Ocean County(Toms River area) if I don't ride extremely defensively I would be struck by an aggressive driving motorists about 1 times in 3. They aren't of the mindset to watch and yield to legally acting pedestrians or bicyclists.

Yeah, I know...Florida is the deadliest state for cyclists and pedestrians :rolleyes: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-28-florida-pedestrians-cyclists-deaths_N.htm

We've had that distinction for a while now, but I've ridden in several states and I don't see it. What I do see are several factors which I think significantly contribute: Longer periods of Good weather than many places (so more idiots outside longer); Tons of tourists; Tons of homeless people that ride bikes a lot -- I think they migrate down here for the weather (those people don't care about rules). Florida bike laws are just fine and completely accomodating to cyclists: http://floridabicycle.org/bicycle-traffic-law/

I see tons of people (including the homeless) that are oblivious to rules of the road and assume just because they (pedestrians/cyclists) "have the right of way" (which isn't really true) that they can just do what they please. I've seen people just walk into a crosswalk (or into the road) without much of a glance and I've seen idiots on bikes do all kinds of things that would have killed me by now if I rode like that. (given the amount of time I have cycling on roads).

My bike is my transportation, it's not a hobby, so the idea of riding with the sun at my back is just not possible. And why would you NOT ride with the flow of vehicles :confused: Although, I've seen idiot on bike do that plenty of times before...

Bike lanes...I don't need no stinkin' bike lanes:D;)