PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Bear Spray

M C
12-18-2013, 20:27
Looking for some mace/pepper/bear spray options for my AT Thru.
I know the AT is not Grizzly country, so the normal bear spray canisters are too big, too heavy - overkill.
However, I would like something a bit more substantial than the common lipstick size mace sprays you see everywhere.
Something in between the griz can and the regular mace sprays - probably closer in size to the reg ones, but with a bit more umph.
Why? Self defense against biting dogs and mean, aggressive drunken lunatics :eek:
How about just for peace of mind.
I know many of you will feel that you don't need anything like this on the AT. Got it. But I'm not asking if I should or not,
I'd just like to know what kinds/sizes are available and where I might be able to purchase them.
By the way, I love dogs - I really do, but not the ones that run 200 yds ahead of their owner and like taking a piece out of your leg.
Drunks can be fun too, but not the ones that wanna brawl with everyone in sight.
So please, don't lecture me on why I don't need anything like this. -I know, I'm just "packing a fear", right? Yep, peace of mind.
At least I'm not asking about guns...:p
Would simply like to know what different sizes and kinds of sprays etc are available. Thanks

Deacon
12-18-2013, 20:59

Found this at my local bicycle shop. I've used it a couple times on dogs chasing me on my bike.

4eyedbuzzard
12-18-2013, 21:50
Typically 2 oz and 4 oz canisters are marketed as human and dog sprays at approximately 1 to 2% capsaicin.
Bear spray comes in larger 8 and 16 oz canisters with concentration of 2% for most I've seen.

The part you don't want to hear: Please note that the human sprays are illegal in NY and MA unless legally purchased there. In National Parks, the Superintendent for each individual National Park must authorize the carry of bear spray if they choose to allow it, and any bear spray carried in National Parks MUST be labeled as "Bear Spray" and EPA approved. Carrying "people spray" or "dog spray" on federal lands (NPS, USFS, ACE, etc.) could get you arrested and convicted of violating federal law (Title 36). Is it likely, probably not. But seriously, do you still think the upside is worth it?

CoffeeBager
12-18-2013, 23:41
I've successfully used Halt on a couple of dogs while cycling and on one aggressive (food habituated) raccoon in a campground. However, I recently found that there is Halt II, which is quite a bit stronger: http://www.omarksafety.com/ARI-Halt-II-Dog-Repellent-15-oz-Spray_p_6213.html . The North American Bear Center tested Halt on black bears a couple of decades ago and found that it worked on black bears--last question on this page: http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/pepper-spray/204-pepper-spray-questions-.html

Here is a company that makes personal defense pepper spray. Some of their information is marketing-heavy, of course, but it will give you a better idea what's available: http://www.foxlabs.com/products/pepper-spray/Spring-Loaded-Flip-Top_AE4.html

The regular Halt is often available in bike shops, online, and at places like REI. Halt II seems to have limited availability online. I have purchased personal defense spray at a couple of different gun shops and have gotten good service and answers to my questions in both shops. Places like Bass Pro Shops or Cabella's or other outdoors/hunting stores usually have it in stock, too. It might be more difficult to find in some locations because of local regulations, but if you want to pick it up in person, I'd check reviews online to find a reputable gun shop near you: http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/pages/states

Carrying "people spray" or "dog spray" on federal lands (NPS, USFS, ACE, etc.) could get you arrested and convicted of violating federal law (Title 36). Is it likely, probably not. But seriously, do you still think the upside is worth it?

Yes. I do think the upside is worth it because I think the chances of getting arrested for possession without any other violation or without a warning are vanishingly small. I used to bicycle tour quite a bit and didn't know it was illegal on a lot of different kinds of federal land. I was in Yellowstone for 3 days with Halt attached right to my handlebars with its obvious, bright red top. I paid my entry fee at the entry station like anyone else, talked to numerous rangers throughout my visit, and never once had anyone say anything about it, even when it was less than an inch from my hands and in plain view. Same deal in the Tetons and who knows how many USFS locations. Now, I hike with it out of sight in a pocket, but like M C, I will carry my spray because it's worth it to me.

Leanthree
12-19-2013, 00:06
Time to be the guy who points out we can't discuss/promote doing illegal things on WB.

This thread can be totally positive and helpful under the assumption that one would bounce box their spray around any places it is illegal should they choose to carry it where it is allowed.

4eyedbuzzard
12-19-2013, 00:18
Carrying pepper spray and having rangers turn a blind eye is one thing. But if you use it, they (rangers/LEO) will likely not be able to ignore it, especially if used on a person. You would likely get arrested for assault even if it was used in self-defense - and definitely if you freaked and sprayed someone who turned out not to be a real threat. On the flip side, I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six like anybody else. One things for sure - I definitely don't ever want to be in that position. I just think carrying spray on the AT has more potential downside than upside - there just isn't that much risk from humans (the AT is rather heavily populated with fellow hikers during thru-hiker season) nor from big western bears.
Whatever, just pointing out some of the possible legal ramifications. YMMV

Trailweaver
12-19-2013, 02:41
If used, you would be charged, and before you could bail bond out, you would have several miserable hours or days in jail. Could ruin an otherwise really good hike. Do what you like, but I've never felt a threat on the trail that would make me risk jail time.

CoffeeBager
12-19-2013, 09:29
Thanks for the reminder, Leanthree. I should have clarified as much myself :)