I am Guna start two new hiking terms!!!

SAD (Shelters are dirty)
ILMT (I Like My Tent)

HIKE ON!!!!

Miller

Another Kevin
12-18-2013, 21:54
They are, and I do.

Once in a while, I like using a shelter, for the company, or because I've arrived in a howling storm and would rather deal with the mice than pitch in the weather. I'd say that I've slept in shelters maybe twice in the last year. The Hemlocks in Massachusetts was nice - it was still too new to have been trashed. The Batavia Kill lean-to in the Catskills was not nice. The floor was rotting, the roof leaked, and the place smelt like a gerbil cage. But I didn't fancy pitching my tent, because by the time I got there, there was a hellacious thunderstorm, with high winds, torrential rains, and widowmakers crashing down all about. I just wanted to get under cover and say a prayer to whatever saint looked out for me getting off the exposed ridge.

All my other clueless weekends for the last 2-3 years, I've just stealth-camped somewhere. (Generally lawfully: I mostly hike in state forests where the rule is that anywhere >1/4 mile from a road, >150 feet from a trail, >200 feet from a water source, and below 3500 feet elevation is fair game.)

Many Moons
12-18-2013, 21:59
Guilty of staying in Shelters in bad weather and in GSMNP! HIKE ON!!!

Miller

They are, and I do.

Once in a while, I like using a shelter, for the company, or because I've arrived in a howling storm and would rather deal with the mice than pitch in the weather. I'd say that I've slept in shelters maybe twice in the last year. The Hemlocks in Massachusetts was nice - it was still too new to have been trashed. The Batavia Kill lean-to in the Catskills was not nice. The floor was rotting, the roof leaked, and the place smelt like a gerbil cage. But I didn't fancy pitching my tent, because by the time I got there, there was a hellacious thunderstorm, with high winds, torrential rains, and widowmakers crashing down all about. I just wanted to get under cover and say a prayer to whatever saint looked out for me getting off the exposed ridge.

All my other clueless weekends for the last 2-3 years, I've just stealth-camped somewhere. (Generally lawfully: I mostly hike in state forests where the rule is that anywhere >1/4 mile from a road, >150 feet from a trail, >200 feet from a water source, and below 3500 feet elevation is fair game.)