PDA

View Full Version : postal scales

Tramp
12-19-2013, 02:15
What brand of scales do you use and where did you get them ? Why did you buy that brand over something else ?

lynn523
12-19-2013, 02:25
I use a small digital kitchen scale that displays grams or ounces to weigh my gear. If something has an odd shape (e.g., zip off pants), I just put a big plastic bowl on the scale, tare it with the bowl, and then put the item in the bowl to weigh it. Mine is a cuisinart model I picked up from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Tramp
12-19-2013, 02:48
What did you have to give for it, lynn523

lynn523
12-19-2013, 03:45
I honestly don't remember, and I probably had one of their coupons. I just looked up my model and its a "Cuisinart KS-55 Weight Mate Digital Kitchen Scale". Amazon is currently listing it for $39. I'd past the link, but I haven't figured out how to copy links on my iPad. To be honest, I chose it based on a combination of factors, including price, small size and sleek appearance (I use it a lot for cooking so it sits out on my counter all the time), digital display, ability to display both grams and ounces, and ease of cleaning. I think you'll probably be able to find several sizes and shapes in the $30-$50 range. I used to have a large, non-digital one but got rid of it because it took up too much counter space and it was too hard to differentiate weights at the gram level- I highly recommend digital. I'm much happier with this one. It is quite small which works for most of my needs, but it would be tricky to weigh bigger items. Depending on how you'll use and store it, you might find one with a bigger platform is better for you. In general, however, I think I've been able to weigh almost everything I've put in my pack by using the big bowl technique. I've even thrown a hiking boot in a bowl to see what it weighs. The only "negative" I've encountered with mine is that it is so compact that I can't put a large flat object like a cutting board on it and still see the display. (That's why I use a bowl). A taller design would work a bit better than in that respect-- just something to consider.

daddytwosticks
12-19-2013, 08:06
Got mine at Walmart several years ago for under 25 bucks. Measures in ounces and grams. It works great but only goes up to 3 pounds. :)

fiddlehead
12-19-2013, 08:17
They are all basically the same anymore.
Around $15-20 sounds about the norm.
Unless you want a detachable face for large boxes, AC power supply,........
They are all made in China and often in the same factory.
My business has a cheap $20 one and we've had it now for about 10 years.
Use it everyday. Never had a problem.

Tramp
12-19-2013, 09:42
I honestly don't remember, and I probably had one of their coupons. I just looked up my model and its a "Cuisinart KS-55 Weight Mate Digital Kitchen Scale". Amazon is currently listing it for $39. I'd past the link, but I haven't figured out how to copy links on my iPad. To be honest, I chose it based on a combination of factors, including price, small size and sleek appearance (I use it a lot for cooking so it sits out on my counter all the time), digital display, ability to display both grams and ounces, and ease of cleaning. I think you'll probably be able to find several sizes and shapes in the $30-$50 range. I used to have a large, non-digital one but got rid of it because it took up too much counter space and it was too hard to differentiate weights at the gram level- I highly recommend digital. I'm much happier with this one. It is quite small which works for most of my needs, but it would be tricky to weigh bigger items. Depending on how you'll use and store it, you might find one with a bigger platform is better for you. In general, however, I think I've been able to weigh almost everything I've put in my pack by using the big bowl technique. I've even thrown a hiking boot in a bowl to see what it weighs. The only "negative" I've encountered with mine is that it is so compact that I can't put a large flat object like a cutting board on it and still see the display. (That's why I use a bowl). A taller design would work a bit better than in that respect-- just something to consider. wow!! Thank you. What a great post !

Tramp
12-19-2013, 09:44
Thank you to fiddlehead

kayak karl
12-19-2013, 09:49
Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-pocket-scale-93543.html). Why? Love this toy store :)

Feral Bill
12-19-2013, 11:13
Any office supply can help you.

Sly
12-19-2013, 11:29
Try OldWillKnot. I bought a scale from him on ebay about 10 years ago. The feature scale (MY Weight KD 7000) is only $30 weighs in grams/oz. up to 15 lbs.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

You may find others on Ebay even cheaper

dmax
12-19-2013, 12:13
Bought one a few years back at Bass Pro while picking up seasoning for jerky. For heavy items I use my fishing one. Made by Berkley. It's hand held, can easily weigh my full pack or a 50 pound cat.

Dogwood
12-19-2013, 13:24
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/escali-11-lb-capacity-pico-pocket-scale-in-colors/205188?Keyword=digital+food+scale

Just bought this one at B, B, & B for a UL hiking friend. Digital, 11 lb(5 kg) capacity, reads in .1 oz or 1 gram(*good accuracy IMO even for a anal ULer), weighs in grams, kilograms, lbs and ounces, retailed for $25 but had 30% off coupon so cost me under $18. Takes up little space which in one respect is good but you have to place a larger holding basket for larger items to be weighed on top, zero out, and then weigh your larger item.

Everything Lynn said.

BTW, I bought a mini higher end Salter Digital Scale model for myself at B, B, & B yrs ago that retailed for $60. It was the last one on the shelf and the box corner was ripped open. I looked in the box to find the scale was not damaged. Spoke to a Mngr and she reduced it to $30. That time I also had a coupon which surprisingly the cashier let me apply to the already discounted price. Cost me $21. Even after all these yrs of anal gram weenie toting it around to outfitters and weighing food, gear at home it works and looks like I bought it last night.

JAK
12-19-2013, 13:35
Digital scales are also very handy for mixing stuff like 2 part epoxy in precise ratios. More accurate than pumps and easier than volume measurement.

Slo-go'en
12-19-2013, 13:49
I hate to keep promoting Wallyworld, but thier the only place I can buy a lot of stuff with out driving 3 or 4 hours round trip.

Digtial postal scales (found in the statinary department) are great for the small stuff, but to get a good net weight you really need a hanging fish scale. In the sporting goods department you can get either an analog scale (cheap, but not too accurate) or a digital scale (still not very expensive at $20) rated up to 50 pounds, with 1 ounce resolution.

I load up my pack, hook the fish scale to it, lift it up and read the weight. If it weighs more then 50 pounds, I start to take things out :)

Astro
12-19-2013, 14:40
I assume this is for weighing stuff for your pack. I have a digital kitchen scale from Wal-Mart. As would be expected reasonably priced and switches from ounces to grams.

Rolls Kanardly
12-19-2013, 16:09
A business in the strip mall where I worked part time closed and we went dumpster diving. Picked up a postal scale. Only good to about 1/2 oz but since I am not a gram weenie it works quite good. I use a small bowl like lynn523 to weigh bulky stuff.
Not sure of the cost. Looking at Amazon, $14, $16, $20, $30 etc. up to 35 lbs and digital to .01 ounces.
Rolls Kanardly

jimmyjam
12-19-2013, 20:35
Wally World scale for me too. Works great and under $25.

MuddyWaters
12-19-2013, 20:37
I gots 2. A kitchen one, good to like 11 lbs or so, and a little one good to 500g. The little one is from harbor freight and cost ~6 with coupon once upon a time. Probably more today.

Tramp
12-22-2013, 21:58
Old will knot looked great. Thank you for that link. I just cant find them in my local walmart. I could order off the web and have it shipped to the store i guess.

CalebJ
12-23-2013, 09:24
http://www.amazon.com/Weigh-Masters-ProChef-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B00ARHITNG
$10 shipped if you have Prime.

KYLarry
12-25-2013, 23:11
I ordered a digital postal scale off of eBay. Is a no name brand, but it goes up to 25 pounds, goes down to .01 oz, and cost me less than $25. I have had it for a couple of years and haven't had any problems thus far.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

theinfamousj
12-28-2013, 00:54
Inherited an old kitchen spring scale. Measures in ounces up to five pounds and is really easy to tare. If I need grams then I round to the nearest ounce. Better to believe my pack is heavier than it is and be happily surprised, than the opposite.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

theinfamousj
12-28-2013, 00:56
Digital scales are also very handy for mixing stuff like 2 part epoxy in precise ratios. More accurate than pumps and easier than volume measurement.

That, right there, might be enough of a reason to upgrade my scale.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

RetroGear
12-31-2013, 02:53
Taylor Classic digital kitchen scale from BrandsMart ... paid $16 ... weighs up to 11 lb/5 kg in increments of 0.1 oz or 1 gm (I weigh in grams and then convert to ounces for greater precision) ... works great!