PDA

View Full Version : Best Lean-To's/Shelters on the trail

FinnMelanson
12-19-2013, 15:23
Howdy! I will be starting my thru-hike in early May after college graduation. I am absolutely stoked to start. Late last summer I did a section hike of the 100 mile wilderness and distinctly remember "Cooper Brook Falls" as the best Lean-To location on the section. It was situated right above a great swimming hole. It got me thinking though, what are some other noteworthy Lean-Tos worth staying at along the rest of the trail?

tiptoe
12-19-2013, 15:54
I've hiked from northern NH to Central VA, and there are quite a few nice shelters. Hexacuba (NH), Stratton Pond (VT), Upper Goose Pond and The Hemlocks (MA), Riga (for the view, CT), a couple in PA and MD whose names escape me now, and Bryant Ridge (VA) are some you might want to consider.

daddytwosticks
12-19-2013, 17:08
Tray Mountain Shelter area down in Georgia is a great place to stay. Beautiful tent sites with awesome views. :)

peakbagger
12-19-2013, 17:39
Gentian Pond shelter in NH has a nice location, right next to a waterfall that looks out over the surrounding hills. West Mountain Shelter is on spur trail off the AT in NY , no reliable water and its pretty beat up but the view down the Hudson is impressive. Speck Pond shelter in Maine. Overmountain Shelter in the Roan Highlands is actually an old tobacco barn but great views down the valley (although the barn is a cold place to sleep as the wind whistles through it ). Crag Camp in the whites is on spur trail but is quite spectacular, right on the edge of Kings Ravine. Ed Garvey Shelter in Maryland. Much as they get picked on AMCs Madison Hut, Lake of the Clouds and Greenleaf Huts are hard to beat for location and views (but very pricey and crowded) and definitely not lean tos. Of course there are some non shelters that hikers like to stay in like a few firetowers along the way. Great views but not a place to be in bad weather.

There are many architectural wonders along the trail but they tend to be in wooded areas so I don't rate them special. Most of the Smokies shelters were that way, nice places to stay but hidden away in the woods. Unfortunately most shelters tend to located in saddles and in the woods as water is more available.

jimmyjam
12-19-2013, 20:32
I've only hiked about 400 miles or so of the trail, but Bryant Ridge shelter is my favorite so far. the place is a palace compared to the others I've seen.25362

Toon
12-19-2013, 21:07
Tray Mountain Shelter area down in Georgia is a great place to stay. Beautiful tent sites with awesome views. :)

+1

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

HikerMom58
12-19-2013, 21:53
Fun thread... I agree with the other posters. I liked Overmountain Shelter and I do like Bryant Ridge... nice pic JJ. :)

tiptoe
12-19-2013, 22:10
And I second West Mountain shelter in NY. Was there in a screaming lightning storm, and we all watched the sound and light show over the New York City skyline. Really outstanding.

CarlZ993
12-19-2013, 23:00
Technically not a shelter... but, I liked Upper Goose Pond Cabin. 1/2 mile off the trail. Nice lake that you could canoe on (cabin had some canoes you could use). Fully enclosed from bugs & elements. For $5, you got a bunk and a pancake breakfast (w/ coffee) in the morning from the caretaker. What a deal!

Several talked about Tray Mountain. I stayed there in a snow storm. It was cold. Very cold. Don't remember much scenery. Ate supper & jumped in my sleeping bag for warmth.

I agree that Cooper Brook Falls Lean-to was a nice site. Some places had really nice sites & so-so shelter. Others had some nice shelters at so-so sites. Rarely did you have both.

CyborgAT
12-20-2013, 01:11
Bryant Ridge shelter is a great place. Stayed there in 2012 and can wait to stay again in 2014.

fiddlehead
12-20-2013, 05:24
The best shelter is the one you get to when you're cold, wet and in bad need of a way to get out of the rain, get some water and take a break.
The worst one is the when you find the one above and there are 30 people in it standing there (standing room only) and no one smiling.
You'll be cursing the shelters when THAT happens.

Doesn't matter what they look like, as long as they are a roof in the storm.

I wouldn't stay in them, unless absolutely necessary; full of mice, toilet paper not far away (used), and hikers either snoring loudly or staying up talking.

Just move on and once in a while, you'll find one that is the right place, empty at the right time, and you'll think it's the best one ever.

Shelters remind me of convenience stores in towns.
I never really understood why people hang out there, drinking coffee, smoking, panhandling, looking rough.
I just don't feel comfortable in that crowd.

Robin2013AT
12-20-2013, 08:38
Quarry Gap in PA. 25374

yellowsirocco
12-20-2013, 09:08
Pierce Pond lean-to just south of the Kennebeck in Maine is a very relaxing place with an awesome view of the pond. It is nothing to speak of architecturally, but you can't beat the location.

Dahoyt
12-20-2013, 10:37
The Secret Shelter right before Governor Clement Shelter in Central Vermont is my favorite, secluded, nice, not a lot of people know about it, particularly locals, and also stocked with toilet paper, books, candles, etc.

takethisbread
01-18-2014, 16:58
Fontana Hilton : hot showers
game set match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
01-18-2014, 18:23
Gentian Pond and Overmountain for views, hands down. Vanderventer is good too, but you have to go round back for the view. Some are noteable for thier architectual aspects, some for thier views. But since most shelters are well, sheltered, not too many have views. On the other end of the spectrum, one of the worst is Walnut Mt shelter in NC.

hikerboy57
01-18-2014, 18:30
Gentian Pond and Overmountain for views, hands down. Vanderventer is good too, but you have to go round back for the view. Some are noteable for thier architectual aspects, some for thier views. But since most shelters are well, sheltered, not too many have views. On the other end of the spectrum, one of the worst is Walnut Mt shelter in NC.
+2 .

Grampie
01-19-2014, 11:13
For the hands down, best shelter is the Cabin At Upper Goose Pond. It's a inclosed cabin with a fire place, located on a pond. It offers bunks with mattress, swimming, a canoe to use, under cover eating area, two nice privies with toilet paper, pancake and coffee breakfast and a wonderfull caretaker. all this for just a donation. It's a deal like no other on the AT.

Drybones
01-19-2014, 17:37
25636Don't recall the name but this stone shelter outside Atkins but it was pretty nice, enclosed 4 sides, windows, bunks, great views. Only ate lunch there but in bad weather it would be great.

hikerboy57
01-19-2014, 17:44

i stayed at overmountain shelter this past april. the shelter could probably accomodate some 30 hikers. the night i was there it was just me, grizzley, homebrew,shaman and gardengirl.it was a full moon rising over the ridge that night, and just before the moon came up, the entire ridge lit up. it was one of those surreal magical moments, as we sat in total silence for over an hour.

HikerMom58
01-19-2014, 17:54
25636Don't recall the name but this stone shelter outside Atkins but it was pretty nice, enclosed 4 sides, windows, bunks, great views. Only ate lunch there but in bad weather it would be great.

I think that's Chestnut Knob Shelter, DB... I heard that the privy there has the BEST view ever! lol

i stayed at overmountain shelter this past april. the shelter could probably accomodate some 30 hikers. the night i was there it was just me, grizzley, homebrew,shaman and gardengirl.it was a full moon rising over the ridge that night, and just before the moon came up, the entire ridge lit up. it was one of those surreal magical moments, as we sat in total silence for over an hour.

NICE, HB! :)

Furlough
01-19-2014, 20:18
One of my favorite stops is Rock Springs Hut in Shenandoah National Park. Nothing special about the hut. But, getting water from the spring where it bubbles up from under that large boulder, to me is neat. Also, in the evening I enjoy walking down to the PATC Rock Spring Cabin and sitting on the front porch with a beverage and watching the sun go down.

Furlough

Hoofit
01-19-2014, 22:03
Any shelter that's close to the trail is plus, (who needs an extra mile or two at the end of a good day's hike?!), plus an open fire is a welcome addition, ( not always possible in some states), if you're tired enough, sleep is more important than the shelter itself! They all have their share of mice, some have snakes, jus can't beat the tent some nights!

Demeter
01-20-2014, 09:15
Quarry Gap in PA. 25374

+1 on Quarry Gap, at least in the Pa/MD area. Lots of charm with the hanging flower baskets and fence, selection of board games and new fire pit. A tarp behind the picnic table provides weather protection.

Draggin
01-20-2014, 10:31
Goddard Shelter in VT comes to mind it was great with a fire tower up behind it.

Draggin

RED-DOG
01-20-2014, 11:07
My favorite shelters are.
1 Carter Gap shelter.
2 Mountaneer Falls shelter.
3 Bryant Ridge Shelter
4 I always thought PunchBowl was a great shelter.
5 the one Before Harpers Ferry and after the Blackburn trail center ( sorry i can't remember the name but it's an awesome place ).
6 Quarry Gap shelter's in PA ( it's a double shelter ).
7 Birch Run shelter.
8 Telephone Pioneers shelter.
9 Cooper Brook Falls Lean-to.
10 Birches Lean-to ( in BSP a lot of people don't like it but i enjoyed staying their ).
These are my most favorite shelters on the trail, Their is a lot more but i can't remember their names. RED-DOG

RED-DOG
01-20-2014, 11:15
I also liked Wilson Creek shelter, never stayed their but i had lunch their a few times it's got a really nice creek in front.
Fullhardt Knob shelter, I really like the water source their it's very interesting.

Kerosene
01-20-2014, 19:54
Per RED-DOG:

1 Carter Gap shelter. --Do you mean Carter Notch Hut in NH? I loved the solitude and the bunkhouses.
2 Mountaineer Falls shelter. --Cool shelter, well built. Temp dropped to 20F with 4" of snow that night.
3 Bryant Ridge Shelter --Stopped for lunch, but wished I could've stopped overnight.
4 I always thought PunchBowl was a great shelter. --Eh.
5 the one Before Harpers Ferry and after the Blackburn trail center ( sorry i can't remember the name but it's an awesome place ). --That would be the David Lesser Memorial Shelter. Great swing, with a nice separate covered cooking/eating area.
6 Quarry Gap shelter's in PA ( it's a double shelter ). --Wasn't there when I went through in '75.
7 Birch Run shelter. --Passed through in '75; unique double lean-to but I didn't think it was notable otherwise.
8 Telephone Pioneers shelter. --Eh, but I walked by quickly on a cold weather dayhike.
9 Cooper Brook Falls Lean-to. --Haven't got up there yet.
10 Birches Lean-to --Haven't got up there yet.

MDSection12
01-20-2014, 20:10
Birch Run has been rebuilt since 1975. It is no longer a double, but it wasn't particularly unique to me. It is in a beautiful little hollow though.

Trail Ponderer
01-20-2014, 20:34
I enjoyed the Jim and Molly Denton Shelter in Virginia. Nice porch in front of the sleeping area with a glider, seperate covered eating area away from shelter and a shower. The shower wasn't operating when I spent the night there a few years ago.

full conditions
01-21-2014, 10:34
The best shelter is the one you get to when you're cold, wet and in bad need of a way to get out of the rain, get some water and take a break.
The worst one is the when you find the one above and there are 30 people in it standing there (standing room only) and no one smiling.
You'll be cursing the shelters when THAT happens.

Doesn't matter what they look like, as long as they are a roof in the storm.

I wouldn't stay in them, unless absolutely necessary; full of mice, toilet paper not far away (used), and hikers either snoring loudly or staying up talking.

Just move on and once in a while, you'll find one that is the right place, empty at the right time, and you'll think it's the best one ever.

Shelters remind me of convenience stores in towns.
I never really understood why people hang out there, drinking coffee, smoking, panhandling, looking rough.
I just don't feel comfortable in that crowd.

Completely agree with all the above. They are pretty nice at the end of a day of walking in 40 degree rain and you get the place to yourself or just one or two other interesting and considerate types. Otherwise they suck.

Kingbee
01-21-2014, 11:03
25636Don't recall the name but this stone shelter oIutside Atkins but it was pretty nice, enclosed 4 sides, windows, bunks, great views. Only ate lunch there but in bad weather it would be great.

That's Chestnut Knob, an old fire warden cabin. Nice to enclosed, but water is iffy there.25653

Kingbee
01-21-2014, 11:06
I enjoyed the Jim and Molly Denton Shelter in Virginia. Nice porch in front of the sleeping area with a glider, seperate covered eating area away from shelter and a shower. The shower wasn't operating when I spent the night there a few years ago.

25654 Pretty luxurious place.

Kingbee
01-21-2014, 11:14
Ed Garvey shelter in MD if you don't mind the steep trail to the water.2565525656

Also the Blackburn Trail Center, tho not technically a shelter I guess.

MDSection12
01-21-2014, 11:55
I've spent many great nights at Ed Garvey... A very charming little spot on the ridge. :)

shelterbuilder
01-21-2014, 20:39
Being SLIGHTLY prejudiced (I was the guy in charge of this project), I'd have to say that I'm a bit partial to the reconstructed Rausch Gap Shelter in Pa. (Nice log work....) However, Upper Goose Pond Cabin was a GREAT place to stay. Great site, great sights, the canoes were fun.

HikerMom58
01-21-2014, 20:51
Being SLIGHTLY prejudiced (I was the guy in charge of this project), I'd have to say that I'm a bit partial to the reconstructed Rausch Gap Shelter in Pa. (Nice log work....) However, Upper Goose Pond Cabin was a GREAT place to stay. Great site, great sights, the canoes were fun.

I was at Rausch Gap Shelter May of last year. I was sooo impressed with that shelter. A job well done in a beautiful setting on the AT. Thanks shelterbuilder!!

johnnybgood
01-21-2014, 21:46
David Lesser in NoVa.- The swing is the clincher

Quarry Gap is nice . Ditto , Bryant Ridge Shelter .