PDA

View Full Version : Something i noticed when wearing running shorts on the trail.

faxanadu
12-19-2013, 19:08
I got way fewer rashes, bumps, irritations, bites, etc... than i ever did wearing lightweight pants.

Anyone else have similar results?

Rain Man
12-20-2013, 11:47
I eventually switched from "hiking shorts" to shorts with stretch fabric and found them more comfortable and more effortless while hiking and doing climbs and descents. But can't say they reduced rashes, bites, etc. That's where good tight underwear (a la bike shorts) comes in.

Rain:sunMan

nickgann
12-21-2013, 09:09
I get all kinds of airy relaxation with running shorts while hiking. Sometimes I even go kilt styleee.

redseal
12-22-2013, 19:21
Running shorts are a must for me as well!

tolowo80
01-22-2014, 11:10
I only put on hiking pants whwn the weather is bad.. I usually have running shorts or running tigh ts under shorts (in the winter) when hiking.. more freedom less restrictive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Pedaling Fool
01-22-2014, 11:21
I'm a runner, but I don't know what running shorts are...but then again I'm a fashion neanderthal:D

I usually wear nylon shorts and I don't get rashes anymore, only because I run virtually everyday, so that area is pretty tough. However, over the summer I noticed that when I run in the same shorts when they are wet I get a very painful rash; so now I run in them wet...no more rashes.

garlic08
01-22-2014, 15:12
I switched the other way and get no more sunburn, poison ivy, ticks or mosquito bites. To each his/her own, but I'm not sure how wearing shorts can result in fewer bites than wearing trousers.

marti038
01-23-2014, 09:57
I'm assuming you mean the running shorts with a built in liner?

Those leave me with chafing issues on the ole upper thigh. I prefer to wear under armor boxer briefs with hiking shorts. This also makes it easier to keep the outer layer clean and gives me something to wear at night while I wash and dry my undies.

That said, everyone is going to have different preferences. I thought the running shorts would be perfect since I've worn them in lots of distance runs, but I guess hiking is just a different animal.

msupple
01-23-2014, 11:25
I eventually switched from "hiking shorts" to shorts with stretch fabric and found them more comfortable and more effortless while hiking and doing climbs and descents. But can't say they reduced rashes, bites, etc. That's where good tight underwear (a la bike shorts) comes in.

Rain:sunMan

I couldn't agree more, stretch material is amazingly more comfortable.

eblanche
01-24-2014, 01:38
I've always worn running shorts while hiking. Even underneath lightweight pants they do really well.

RedBeerd
01-24-2014, 09:55
the shorter the inseam the better the hike!

Matthew82
01-24-2014, 20:07
Wonder where I could get some shiny extra short ones with stripes circa 1978?

Toolshed
01-25-2014, 00:02
Shiney extra short.....Why right here!!!Asics splits are great. You probably want half splits though. Ful splits go almost up your let to your hip.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Asics_Mens_Intensity_1_2_Split_Short/descpage-AMISIP.html

George
01-25-2014, 03:49
I have noticed when I wear no shorts on the trail, I get a lot of strange looks - especially in winter

I guess some folks just do not appreciate nature

leaftye
01-25-2014, 03:58
More ventilation means less moisture, and then less fungal growth. Aside from fewer bug bites, it totally makes sense. I've been planning to switch to a kilt at some point soon. Okay, I've been saying that since a hike a couple years ago when I dropped my full length pants to air out my boxer briefs. The ventilation was glorious. I hope it's like that all the time with a kilt.

gumball
01-25-2014, 06:53
This is what I hike in unless it is very cold.