PDA

View Full Version : Pisgah loop hike ?

Drybones
12-21-2013, 14:33
I'm looking at doing a loop hike near Brevard, NC that starts at Turkey Pen Gap, follows the South Mills River to the Pink Beds, on to the MTS trail and loops back at Little Bald Mt, 33.5 miles, looks like it would make for a good weekend hike....anyone from that area that can comment on the quality of this hike? Thanks.

10-K
12-21-2013, 18:29
Sounds interesting - is this within the Shining Rock or Middle Prong wilderness area? That's some rugged, beautiful country. I've hiked the Art Loeb and MTS trails through there and I always think about coming back.

Drybones
12-21-2013, 22:00
Sounds interesting - is this within the Shining Rock or Middle Prong wilderness area? That's some rugged, beautiful country. I've hiked the Art Loeb and MTS trails through there and I always think about coming back.

This hike would be east of Shining Rock and on the other side of the Blue Ridge Parkway. About half of the hike follows a stream so I'm guessing a lot of Rhododendrons similar to the Foothills Trail. Part of this loop is on the MTS trail. I did the Art Loeb last December, nice hike also.

winger
12-21-2013, 22:38
I spent more time trying to find turkey pen gap road then anything else, so I hope you have a good idea as to its location. I spent 3 days hiking back through there, and did not make it to Pink Beds, but the rest of the hike, along the South Mills and up then up the mountain was very enjoyable. Was a few years ago, and in the late Fall, lots of blow downs, and knee deep leaf drifts, but didn't see another person the whole time. Would have to pull out that map to give you some more information, but its a very nice area.

bwb49
12-22-2013, 10:35
Turkey Pen Road is located right at the county line for Transylvania and Henderson County on NC Hwy 280 (Boylston Hwy). If you are coming from the US 64 and US 176 intersection it is approximately 5 miles to Turkey Pen Rd. Turn left to get to the trail head.

Drybones
12-22-2013, 12:13
The commentary in the book "Hiking the Southern Appallachians" says South Mills Creek has good fishing, I may carry an ultralight rod and make this my first backpack/fishing trip and just stay in a spot until the fish stop biting and then move on.

FooFighter'12
12-22-2013, 12:31
I have hiked some of the South Mills River from Turkey Pen and around Pink Beds. You are in for a beautiful hike. There will be several fords on the South Mills and some really good campsites. I haven't fished it but it looks like it would be good fishing. This is a trail I hope to do again in the near future. If you want a good meal when you get off the trail, I'd recommend either the Pisgah fish camp or the huge Chinese buffet near the entrance to Pisgah.

The Solemates
12-23-2013, 09:50
Haven't hiked in this area in probably 15 years, but back then I hiked just about every mile of trail in that area. It's beautiful. The horse trails get overused, and in times of heavy rain like we have had this year, you will be wading a lot of streams, some up to your waist, unless something has changed and they now have bridges. Have fun!

ajwatson
12-23-2013, 11:08
You are right about the rhodos, all the hiking down in that area is similar to the Art Loeb's southern half (south of the Parkway). Hope you have a great hike!

fwish
12-23-2013, 11:24
Many years ago I did a mountain bike trek in that area starting at Turkey Pen Gap. I would highly recommend it but of course I have absolutely no idea of the current condition of any of the trails. But back about 15 years ago it was a fantastic ride so I can imagine that it would also be a great area to backpack into and around. Lots of rhododendron thickets if I remember correctly. I have also hiked the Pink Beds and found it to be very enjoyable as well especially when they were all in bloom.

Happy44
12-23-2013, 12:57
white squirrels nuff said