PDA

View Full Version : My dad and I section hiking Mt Washington, Mahoosuc Notch, and Mt Katahdin?

solidude
12-21-2013, 23:32
Hey everyone,
My dad had me hiking the AT through the smokies by the time I was 10 years old. Now 27 years later it's my turn to take him on some hikes that he has always wanted to do before he hangs up the pack. He is still in great shape at 62 years young but is preferring the RV more and more every year, lol.

We are wanting to fly in and hike Mt. Washington then drive north and do Mahoosuc Notch and then drive north again and do Mt Katahdin and then fly home. I have a few questions, if you all could help me out with this, it would be great!

1) What would be a great hike 2-3 days to cover Mt Washington? Does the AT go to the summit or is that a side trail? Should we spend the cash to stay in the hut?
2) What would be the best way to cover the "slowest mile", Mahoosuc Notch? Is there any loop trails?

Sorry for newbie questions but most of my experience is on the southern AT.

Thanks in advance!

- Solidude

Tinker
12-21-2013, 23:47
You could hike up from the west on the Ammonusuc Ravine trail and stay at Lakes of the Clouds (alternatively, Crowds) Hut and summit the next day and return to your car via the Gulfside Trail (AT) and the Jewell Trail, or hike down the other side to Pinkham Notch and shuttle back to your car.

Second Hand
12-21-2013, 23:54
1.) You can go from Route 302 to Route 16. It's 26 miles section that can be done over the course of 2 to 3 days.
Day 1 - 6.4 miles to Nauman Tentsite
Day 2 - 11.8 miles to Madison Springs hut / tent site
Day 3 - 8.8 miles to route 16
You go over the summit of Washington. If you want to stay at the hut it's like $90 per night (last time I checked) and you need to make reservations well in advance. This is a very challenging section of trail.
If you are a peak bagger you can take a number of side trails to summit 4,000 and 5,000 footers.

4eyedbuzzard
12-22-2013, 00:28
Now 27 years later it's my turn to take him on some hikes that he has always wanted to do before he hangs up the pack. He is still in great shape at 62 years young but is preferring the RV more and more every year, lol.

We are wanting to fly in and hike Mt. Washington then drive north and do Mahoosuc Notch and then drive north again and do Mt Katahdin and then fly home.

...most of my experience is on the southern AT.

1.) You can go from Route 302 to Route 16. It's 26 miles section that can be done over the course of 2 to 3 days...This is a very challenging section of trail.

Very challenging could be an understatement. Where to start . . . A most ambitious itinerary. Pretty much three of the toughest short sections on the AT. Make sure you do these in good weather, because honestly, those hikes/climbs would not be enjoyable in cold and/or wet conditions, and can at times be outright dangerous. You may have to be flexible for weather windows when going above treeline, especially for Mt. Washington and Katahdin. Make sure your dad is up to this (and not pushing too hard just for you) and have some alternative hike/camp plan for after the Mt. Washington hike if it all starts to prove too much. Not trying to doubt yours or his abilities or resolve, but doing those back to back to back could prove to be more than what you bargained for.

Tinker
12-22-2013, 00:41
There is a side trail to Mahoosuc Notch off of a long dirt road. I believe that I used the AMC's Maine Mountain Guide to locate it.
Also, the AT goes right over Mt Washington's summit.
The climb northbound out of Mahoosuc Notch is MUCH tougher than the Notch itself.
Katahdin is a VERY tough climb unless you have some recent miles under your belt. The rock is very smooth and near vertical in places.

Tinker
12-22-2013, 00:47
Btw: I believe I've given you the easiest route up and down Mt. Washington. If the huts aren't your thing, you'll have to do much more hiking to get to the closest approved camping areas as they are much further down off of the ridgeline than the huts. If you stay at the Lakes hut, make it a point to climb nearby Mt. Monroe as the sun sets and watch the stars come out.

solidude
12-22-2013, 01:06
Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming. My dad has done Katahdin twice, this will be my first. He has also done all of GA, TN/NC, and the Shenandoah Valley. He may have to carry me, lol.

We are planning to have extra days built in for weather/visiting towns and etc.

Please keep the ideas coming, we are trying to plan this for the first week of August 2014.

Thanks!
- Solidude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Tinker
12-22-2013, 01:11
Make your reservations at Lakes hut and Baxter Park asap! :)

No solitude for Solidude in the Whites in August. ;)

r
s
e
r
v
a
t
o
n

Tinker
12-22-2013, 01:13
This website does not like my computer. (See above). :-?

4eyedbuzzard
12-22-2013, 01:18
My dad has done Katahdin twice, this will be my first. He has also done all of GA, TN/NC, and the Shenandoah Valley. He may have to carry me, lol.

We are planning to have extra days built in for weather/visiting towns and etc.

Good time of year weather wise. Have a great time. And try and keep up with your dad!

yellowsirocco
12-22-2013, 07:15
Don't forget about the Randolph Mountain Club huts. Lot cheaper than the AMC huts.

peakbagger
12-22-2013, 11:45
Its good time of year to visit. Mt Washington is an easy dayhike that many do. Up Ammonusuc ravine trail and down Jewell. The AMC hut Lake of the Clouds (AKA lake of the Crowds) is a spectacular location but, they jam in as many folks as possible and if the weather is good, it most likely will be full to the maximum. It holds over a 100 people and they all sleep in what are basically two bunkrooms. There will be a constant stream of folks going to an from the rest rooms and plenty of background noises all night long. Do not go there expecting a good nights sleep. I would suggest instead of doing an overnight, do Mt Washington one day with a rest day and the Franconia Ridge the next (if you both are in shape). The Old Bridal Path,Franconia Ridge Trail/Falling Water loop is a very popular loop. MHO dayhiking is better option as you can pick the best day while if you have hut reservations you don't have the option of swapping nights.

Mahoosuc Notch can be done as a day hike in almost loop. You will need to do a 1.5 mile road walk. Getting to the trailheads are a challenge, You need a good map and patience. You can order the AMC Map of this areas and it is about the best way to find the trailhead. You to have to drive 20 plus miles in from Berlin NH via Success Pond road. It is poorly maintained and plan on 20 MPH. You can get a motel in Gorham NH or there are plenty of place to car camp on side road off of Success Pond Road. Make sure when you drive up is go past the Notch trailhead and drive up the road to find the Success Pond trailhead then drive back to the Notch trailhead so you don't get lost when you hike out in the late afternoon/early evening. The normal route is up the Notch trail to the AT then take the AT down through the notch. Then once you have gone through the notch you have to climb up Mahoosuc arm then down via the Success Pond trail. Mahoosuc Arm is one of the steepest ascents on the AT and it can be bear on hot day. Alternatively you can overnight at the base of Mahoosuc Arm and cut it inot tow shorter hikes.

For Katahdin, if your dad hasn't hiked it from the east side, definitely try to do it. Read and understand the reservation system and try to go there mid week. Ideally book a night at Chimney Pond and then you have a couple of options for loop hikes including the infamous Knifes Edge. Roaring Brook is the definite second choice as the hikes are longer but it does ad in the Helon Taylor trail option. Alternatively book a site at Katahdin Stream or Abol and make the loop up Abol trail and down the Hunt trail and end the day with a dusty road walk. Of all of the hikes on your list this is the longest and most tiring of all including Washington.

I would definitely plan in some rest days and an extra night at Baxter State Park has a lot to be recommended as the weather on Katahdin can be unreliable.

Slo-go'en
12-22-2013, 13:56
That is a lot of ground to cover if you only have a week, especially if that has to include transportation to and from home. It takes the better part of a day to drive from Gorham, NH to Baxter. Unless you really have 2 weeks to spend up here, you'd probably be better off concentrating on just one of these areas.

peakbagger
12-22-2013, 14:58
Is about 4 hours from Gorham NH to Baxter via RT 2. I have on occasion got up early, driven to Millinocket, stayed for a few hours and drove home but its a long day. I have also climbed Katahdin and drove home to Gorham a couple of time in the past. I didn't notice the one week limitation and would suggest the Whites and Mahoosuc Notch only and leave baxter for another trip.

Slo-go'en
12-22-2013, 16:47
4 hours to get to Baxter from here? Remind me never to get into a car with you! At least 6 hours would be more reasonable for someone who doesn't drive like a Maineiac and isn't familer with the roads and most likely will want to stop for lunch some place along the way. Make that 7 hours. Pray you don't get stuck behind an RV too :)

SunnyWalker
12-22-2013, 18:35
Whatever you do, wherever you hike, remember its not the hike. Its the time being with your Dad that is the important and wonderful thing. He will never forget it, Solidude. He'll remember this in his dreams, he will think upon the time with you when he lays his head down at night. He (as well as you) will forever treasure your experience together. Hope you have a great time.

solidude
12-26-2013, 21:25
Thanks everyone! After more study, we will be skipping Mahoosuc Notch and focus on Mt Washington and Mt Katahdin. Thank you SunnyWalker, the trail will be great but being on this trip (potentially the last for him) with him will mean more to me than anything!

Slo-go'en
12-26-2013, 23:01
Be sure to get your reservations for Baxter as soon as they start accepting them. They go quick!

peakbagger
12-27-2013, 07:17
The key to driving between Gorham and Baxter is not speeding but picking the right time of day, avoiding a couple of towns (rumford, Farmington and Showhegan), these are all fairly easy to bypass using state highways other than RT2 and getting going in the early morning (easy to do in the summer) before the logging traffic starts up on RT 2 between Jay and Gorham. If someone waits until mid morning and blindly follows their Tom Tom, then its a 5 to 6 hour trip.