PDA

View Full Version : Denatured Alcohol Storage

Old_Man
12-22-2013, 11:32
This is something of a noob post (and I apologize if my question has been answered before) but I've just started experimenting with the alcohol/aluminum can stove and I'm having some difficulty with the fuel storage aspect. I purchased a can of denatured alcohol at Walmart and it's of course way too bulky to cart around the back country.

On my last overnighter, I tried storing some fuel in a recycled mini soap squeeze bottle and ended up with a good deal of denatured alcohol just all over, everywhere. It was a nightmare.

But I don't want to give up on the alcohol stove just yet because it's so light and easy to make/repair.

I've been thinking about using something similar to this:

http://www.firstaidmart.com/site/product_detail.aspx?item_guid=6012c979-eb81-4105-ac86-450fa437aa34&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CSE&utm_term=4962&utm_campaign=CSE&gdftrk=gdfV25409_a_7c2869_a_7c10473_a_7c4962

I have a cheaper, smaller version that I purchased at the dollar store that has a rubber grommet around the cap. My only fear is that the alcohol might seep through the grommet and cause similar nightmarish scenarios.

So, my question:

What do other alcohol stove aficionados use for fuel storage?

Malto
12-22-2013, 11:49
A small PET water bottle.

Southeast
12-22-2013, 11:55
I'm using a water bottle as well.

Odd Man Out
12-22-2013, 12:00
First of all, one of the nice things about alcohol is that if it does spill, it isn't really a nightmare. It might be annoying, but if you spilled the same amount of white gas, you would know the alcohol spill is much less nasty.

Also, alcohol is much easier to store. It doesn't typically need a special container. A lot of people use methanol rather than denatured ethanol because it is easily available in gas stations as Heet gas line antifreeze. This bottle is designed to store alcohol so it works fine. You could get a bottle from the gas station, use the fuel, and keep the bottle.

Or you could just use a pop bottle. These lids are designed to keep the pressure of a carbonated beverage in, so they don't leak. If you do this be sure to label it clearly to make sure you don't drink it. Some people even put duct tape around it or something like that so you can even identify your fuel bottle by feel in the dark for extra safety.

Mouthwash bottles are nice because they have a cup-like cap that can be used for measuring.

Flip top plastic bottle are popular because you can squirt right from the bottle. A lot of companies that sell alcohol stoves will carry them. Here is one example.

http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/products/cooking/alcohol_bottles.html

4eyedbuzzard
12-22-2013, 12:03
I got a couple of 4 oz squeeze bottles from Zelph here on WB with a stove I purchased from him. Some of these are better than others. The dollar store and WM travel stuff tends not to be so good.
Used 5 Hour Energy bottles and similar also work well for short trips or for keeping a back-up supply. They come in 2 and 4 ounce sizes.
Many just use yellow HEET (gas line antifreeze) as fuel - it's 99% methanol and the plastic bottles are very light and leak proof. It also doesn't leak. DO NOT use the red HEET! Different type of alcohol and it will smoke.
Many use old soda/drink bottles. Be careful to mark the bottle! Do not to accidentally drink any - methanol, while naturally occurring in many of our foods and beverages, is deadly poisonous in any amount beyond a small sip and even that wouldn't be good for you. Should it ever happen, the antidote is regular alcohol - immediately get the person drunk so that the ethanol inhibits absorption of the methanol (no, I'm not kidding).
Some plastics can be attacked - just put a little alcohol in, turn it upside down to test the cap material and seal, and test it for a week for softening and/or discoloration and leaks.

Drybones
12-22-2013, 12:20
I use a Listerine bottle, normally the 8.5 oz size. The cap locks on and holds 1/2 oz of fuel, if you want to measure. The larger bottle (16 oz I believe) has a cap that holds 1 oz...best container I've found, never had a leak. I normally use Heet because it's easy to find and seems to burn better for me, others would tell you denatured alchol is better.

DeerPath
12-22-2013, 12:31
I use a 14 oz. Vodka bottle with a pop-up spout I took off some other bottle. The curve on the backside of the bottle lets it pack nicely, and the pop-up spout makes it easy to pour into a stove.25384

MDSection12
12-22-2013, 13:05
I use six ounce plastic Kentucky Gentleman bottles. I spray paint them silver and write 'toxic' on them several times.

CalebJ
12-22-2013, 13:23
A contact solution bottle also works quite well. I've got a 4 oz (rated) one that holds 4.25 to the brim and weighs about .5 oz. At <.75 ounces per burn and only cooking dinner, that's enough for about 5 days.

capehiker
12-22-2013, 13:36
I just take the whole Heet bottle with me.

Drybones
12-22-2013, 15:24
I use six ounce plastic Kentucky Gentleman bottles. I spray paint them silver and write 'toxic' on them several times.

That bottle should have come with "toxic" on it.

nastynate
12-22-2013, 15:57
I've been using a ReNu contact lens bottle. 4oz capacity and its clear, so it's easy to meter out, and easy to see how much is left. If I were going to be out for a week or longer, I would just take a whole bottle of Heet

CarlZ993
12-22-2013, 16:08
I used a 12 oz Coke plastic bottle. Never had any issues with it on the trail. I think I used two of them for the entire trail. I always packed it on the outside of my pack (ULA Circuit) in the side pouch. I tied a bottle sling knot on the lip of the bottle and clipped the cord loop to a small S-biner in case it fell out of the pouch (it did once or twice).

MDSection12
12-22-2013, 16:57
That bottle should have come with "toxic" on it.
I get that joke a lot on the trail. :)

Drybones
12-22-2013, 17:58
I get that joke a lot on the trail. :)

In truth I like all those Kentucky gentlemen...Jack, Jim, George, Ezra, Evan, Elijah, Henry....

4eyedbuzzard
12-22-2013, 19:13
In truth I like all those Kentucky gentlemen...Jack, Jim, George, Ezra, Evan, Elijah, Henry....
I think a couple of those guys are from Tennessee, not Kentucky - but they are definitely still fine gentlemen - and fine still gentlemen. ;)

MDSection12
12-22-2013, 19:33
I didn't know prior to recently reading the bottle, but Kentucky Gentleman is 51% grain spirits... It comes more than half full of useable fuel. :)

moytoy
12-22-2013, 22:45
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/images/products/bottles/66394p.jpgI use a bottle like this. I make marks on the side of the bottle every 1 oz. with a magic marker.

budforester
12-22-2013, 23:14
I re- purpose a 4 oz soap bottle... maybe just lucky about leaks. Also yellow Heet for 12 oz... puncture the foil liner and it becomes a squirt- bottle, too.

Drybones
12-22-2013, 23:20
I didn't know prior to recently reading the bottle, but Kentucky Gentleman is 51% grain spirits... It comes more than half full of useable fuel. :)

Should be great for fueling the BS around a campfire.

Drybones
12-22-2013, 23:23
I think a couple of those guys are from Tennessee, not Kentucky - but they are definitely still fine gentlemen - and fine still gentlemen. ;)

Yeah...Jack's an outcast...but still a good guy...not sure, but George may be a TN gentleman also.

Rocket Jones
12-23-2013, 07:10
I use a "shorty" Mt Dew bottle. The plastic is green, unlike any other bottle I have (visual) and the shape is different than any other bottle I have (feel), including my pee bottle (which is also different from my water bottles). There's also a bit of duct tape wrapped around it with warnings written on it in magic marker. I've never had it leak, but I keep it in a ziplock, just in case.

Bronk
12-23-2013, 13:13
Just buy some liquor that comes in a plastic bottle, whatever size you think you need.

Odd Man Out
12-23-2013, 18:09
Just buy some liquor that comes in a plastic bottle, whatever size you think you need.

Great idea. But then what do you do with the liquor???:rolleyes:

Drybones
12-23-2013, 18:22

Any with a handle would be a good size.

rusty bumper
12-24-2013, 09:45
I use a plastic coke bottle...it weighs 1 ounce and stays in the outside mesh pocket of my pack.

LIhikers
12-25-2013, 16:38
I use plastic mouth wash bottles and have a collection of sizes from small travel size to a quart.
Since I always carry water in round, Gatoraide bottles, I choose mouthwash that comes in bottles shaped other than round.
That way there's little chance of drinking my stove fuel or fueling the stove with water. The shape of the bottle serves as a warning.
The alcohol can be stored in those bottles long term too.

QiWiz
12-25-2013, 18:23
Any small plastic bottle with a water-tight cap will work. Even empty Gatorade or Pepsi, but make sure you don't mix them up with your real water bottles. It's been done. Some people add food coloring to their alcohol to keep things straight.