PDA

View Full Version : "New+Old" Sections of Benton MacKaye Trail

C-Stepper
08-29-2005, 08:41
I just completed my first "long" trail...the Foothills Trail in SC. I'm trying to plan my next foray...I'm stuck between the Pinhoti and the BMT, but I'm leaning toward BMT (for the views).

Has anyone here hiked the whole BMT? I understand (from another thread) the BMT was recently extended to Davenport Gap. I would hike this in at least 2 sections, possible 3 sections (due to job/family constraints). I'm thinking the "older" section I could do this winter, and leave the "newer" section, which I'm assuming would be higher elevation, for next spring/summer.

I'm a novice backpacker, so I'm concerned about having a well-defined trail. I don't want to get lost!

If you hiked, which guide did you use (if any)? Are any guides out yet other than from the association (which doesn't appear quite complete)? No trail journals yet that I could find...has anyone read one you could point me to? Any other info you could provide?

Edited to also ask: I couldn't find any info on shuttles...any ideas, as I'm a solo hiker and rely on a drive to get me to the trailhead?

http://www.bmta.org/trail_section_descriptions.htm

The Solemates
08-29-2005, 09:13
I just completed my first "long" trail...the Foothills Trail in SC. I'm trying to plan my next foray...I'm stuck between the Pinhoti and the BMT, but I'm leaning toward BMT (for the views).

Has anyone here hiked the whole BMT? I understand (from another thread) the BMT was recently extended to Davenport Gap. I would hike this in at least 2 sections, possible 3 sections (due to job/family constraints). I'm thinking the "older" section I could do this winter, and leave the "newer" section, which I'm assuming would be higher elevation, for next spring/summer.

I'm a novice backpacker, so I'm concerned about having a well-defined trail. I don't want to get lost!

If you hiked, which guide did you use (if any)? Are any guides out yet other than from the association (which doesn't appear quite complete)? No trail journals yet that I could find...has anyone read one you could point me to? Any other info you could provide?

Edited to also ask: I couldn't find any info on shuttles...any ideas, as I'm a solo hiker and rely on a drive to get me to the trailhead?

profile and almanac own a shuttle service and hostel in dahlonega that would work. someone will post the link im sure.

MOWGLI
08-29-2005, 09:35
profile and almanac own a shuttle service and hostel in dahlonega that would work. someone will post the link im sure.
http://www.hikerhostel.com/

MOWGLI
08-29-2005, 09:40

I hiked the "original" 93-mile section in spring '03. Which guide did I use? His name is Youngblood. :D He was pretty good, but he balked when I asked him to carry some of my gear.

There is a link to my BMT Trail Journal from the BLOG link below. Since I hiked the trail, Tim Homan has written a guidebook. It's a bit heavy for the trail, but good for planning. Checkout the BMTA website for more details about the book and maps; http://www.bmta.org/

Drop me, Youngblood, Hammock Hanger or Hikerhead a PM. All of us have hiked the southern most 93 miles, and would be willing to share a few words of encouragement.

And congrats on hiking the Foothills Trail. Is that a great trail, or what?

Tha Wookie
08-29-2005, 09:45
Yes, I asked Walk Cook the same question the other day, and he said the Homan book is THE guide at this point. They also have some copied map/topos/data guide that I've used, although they are hard to read because of poor reproduction quality. I remember REI had them in Atl.

C-Stepper
08-30-2005, 08:09
Thanks, all...the shuttle info is particularly helpful.

The FHT was a gorgeous trail...but summer hiking sucks. I was lucky, though, to hike in August and to see full creek basins and waterfalls. But the temps were 95+ everyday, and bugs were a menace. I had a really tight schedule, and the heat took it out of me, making the hiking less enjoyable. Cold weather hiking is best (except for trying to crawl out of the bag in the morning!).

I had already read journals from those on trailjournals.com...Little Bear, your journals always crack me up! I had hoped someone had hiked the "new" sections, but so far no hits. I've been on some of the GSMNP trails, where the newer section is located, and these trails are not always well-maintained or well-marked (particularly the Lakeshore Trail area) so this was one of the reasons for my concern.

Hammock Hanger
08-30-2005, 08:34
If you are looking for views then the section from Springer to Big Frog Wilderness is best done in the winter when the leaves are off the trees. I enjoyed our spring hike but with all the foliage there we only had a few view spots on the 93-mile route. Basically the first day out and the last day.

It is a nice trail and I think you will enjoy it. I know I am looking forward to completing the newer sections.

Profile and Almanac are the BEST and their hostel is SUPERB.

Sue/HH

C-Stepper
08-30-2005, 09:31
If you are looking for views then the section from Springer to Big Frog Wilderness is best done in the winter when the leaves are off the trees. I enjoyed our spring hike but with all the foliage there we only had a few view spots on the 93-mile route. Basically the first day out and the last day.

Sue/HH
Thanks, Sue...lack of views during summer was also something I hadn't considered ahead of time on the FHT, either, and the views would have been impressive at other times of the year than August, when I hiked...I really missed the "earned" views!

FYI, a poster on backpacker.com posted the trail map on the GSMNP website...as I have the "little brown book", Hiking Trails of the Smokies, so I can see exactly how the trail plays out there. here's the link, then click on "Trail Map" to get the pdf http://www.nps.gov/grsm/pphtml/maps.html . I was concerned about campsites, water, etc., but this "infrastructure" already exists, it appears.

Skyline
08-30-2005, 09:52
I'm planning to hike the Foothills Trail this early October, if hurricanes don't shut me out like they did last year.

How would those of you who know it well think the weather would compare to less-than-pleasant August hikes? Heat/humidity? Bugs? Average temps? Average precipitation? Trail conditions since last year's hurricanes' damage? The official FHT website hasn't been updated since Hurricane Frances in '04 so it is of little help.

Thanx in advance...

C-Stepper
08-30-2005, 12:41
I'm planning to hike the Foothills Trail this early October, if hurricanes don't shut me out like they did last year.

How would those of you who know it well think the weather would compare to less-than-pleasant August hikes? Heat/humidity? Bugs? Average temps? Average precipitation? Trail conditions since last year's hurricanes' damage? The official FHT website hasn't been updated since Hurricane Frances in '04 so it is of little help.

Thanx in advance...The trail conditions listed on the website www.foothillstrail.org (http://www.foothillstrail.org/) are up-to-date...you still have to detour around the mudslide at Whitewater Falls. It's no biggie, though...just take the restroom spur to the parking lot (it's marked), walk all the way across the lot and down to the observation deck to the upper falls. Descend the stairs from the observation deck to rejoin the trail. You'd probably go up there to the observation deck, anyway.

There were lots of blowdowns on the trail when I hiked last month. I got around the blowdowns, but two I remember as putting me in precarious situations that I'd rather not be in as a solo hiker.

I don't think heat/humidity/bugs will be a problem in October. It can get warm in the Carolinas in Sept (I live in NC) but humidity pretty much goes in early Sept. Precipitation will be liquid. I'm guessing that the leaves may not be all gone from the trees, though, so if you could wait until November you may have a more "view rich" hike.

Skyline
08-30-2005, 13:16
I don't think heat/humidity/bugs will be a problem in October. It can get warm in the Carolinas in Sept (I live in NC) but humidity pretty much goes in early Sept. Precipitation will be liquid. I'm guessing that the leaves may not be all gone from the trees, though, so if you could wait until November you may have a more "view rich" hike.

The lack of humidity is very good news, after the summer we've had in the East. Blowdowns I can deal with--washed out trail next to rivers or cliffs that force long bushwhacks, and bridges out that force deep fords, I'd prefer to avoid. So all the news is good, so long as the remaining hurricanes behave!

Unfortunately, the window that allows me to be AWOL from my business occurs the first half of October, or I'd take your advice and wait until November.

Again, thanx for the info...

Hikerhead
08-30-2005, 14:03
On the original 93 miles, read MowgL16's journal, and Hammock Hanger has a journal on Trail Journals. Buy the maps from BMT trail association, very much worth the $5.OO although I doubt very much that you would get lost, the trail is really well marked. Just a couple of places where you'll need to be watchful of the blazes. Hammock Hanger is right, early spring or late fall would be the best times for views. Profile and Almanac have a great place and excellent service.