PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Yourself ... Please

Pages : 1 [2]

wtrenda
01-31-2014, 04:29
Hi
I am Will, and I live in Knoxville, TN. I get out to the smokies about 2 or 3 times a week right now but am currently planning a thru hike for 2015. I've been lurking about for a while now just to gauge the gossip around the site. I have all of my gear except for a few minor upgrades that will be made over the next year. I will be hiking the smokies a little before the 2014 thru hiker bubble I believe. I have grown up in the shadow of the smokies my whole life and am excited to see more of the AT throughout the next year while I explore some more areas in preparation. If there are any 2015 planners on here, feel free to message me and start getting to know who will be out there next spring...especially if there are any other (hopeful)winter warriors. Or if you are a recent thru hiker that wants to just share some trail knowledge. Logistics is where I am lacking now...especially in the resupply/bounce box category.

Almost There
01-31-2014, 10:28
Been around for awhile, off and on, used to be more but he site has changed several times, and now I lurk more than anything. Almost There is my old trail name, but was recently given a new one by my youngest son and newest hiking partner. He's dubbed me "Walking Dead Bear" thanks to my passion for "walking in the woods" as he calls it, and the Grateful Dead Bears around my ankle. Anyways, have over 2000 miles on various trails, been sectioning the AT since 2005, and will go over 1,000 miles this summer when I finish Shenandoah NP. I'm around here more in the late winter/early spring when I have trail fever, but thought I'd say hi to all the people I don't even recognize.

HikerMom58
01-31-2014, 11:01
Welcome in futureatwalker all the way from Scotland! :)

Nice to meet you too FelixS13- interesting life you've lived, so far. Welcome to WB! Have a good time this Spring on the AT, sound like a plan! :) Also, so happy to hear that you beat the cancer- 2 years strong... WTG!! :D

wtrenda- don't hesitate to ask any question you would like to know about resupply. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?53516-BOUNCE-Boxesly/bounce boxes. Here's a quick search I did on existing WB bounce box threads. I found the thread above. The easiest way I've found to search for a subject on WB is to go out to Google, search on Bounce Box or Resupply options on Whiteblaze. You will get a lot of hits. :) WElCOME wtrenda!

Hey Almost There.. I've seen you around! Thanks for introducing yourself. :)

Hang R
02-01-2014, 12:04
I am a new member from SE Pa that is getting back into backpacking. I try to get out at least once a month for at least a couple of days on the trail whenever possible. As I get older I have transitioned from a tent to a hammock while backpacking. I am looking to hear what everyone has to offer.

AngelEyez
02-01-2014, 17:27
Hilary here I agree "there is something valuable about actually hiking home" :) from the gr8 state of Maine Freeport to be exact. Planing my 2014 threw hike, seems like a monument feet but feeling up for the challenge. No trail name yet hoping to get on on the way :)

HikerMom58
02-01-2014, 21:54
Welcome Hang R and AngelEyez :0) When I see Freeport ME I think- LLBEAN! Good luck on ur hike!

Hang R- so many love their hammock, here. I'm sure you can get good advice on that subject!

he.who.forgets
02-01-2014, 22:29
Hello! My name is Jonathan, originally from Michigan but I just moved to Jacksonville, FL. I've backpacked quite a bit around Michigan and just started exploring Florida a bit. A few months ago I won an all expenses paid trip to hike 70 miles of northern Sweden... pretty amazing experience. I have a start date for my '14 thru of April 3rd, can't wait!!

If there is anyone in the Jacksonville area that would like to meet up and do some hiking let me know. I don't know many people here and I definitely don't know many places to backpack.
Hey! I'm Jamie...fellow Jacksonvillian here, born and raised. Best of luck to you on your thru!!! I'm new to the site as hiking the AT has only recently become an obsession of mine. Great info on these forums. Shoot me a message if you'd like to get out and walk some trails one day. If you haven't already discovered it, check out Cumberland Island (about an hour north) for a weekend. Amazing scenery, great trails and camping.

he.who.forgets
02-01-2014, 22:57
Hit enter a little too quickly on that last post...anyhow, I'm a nature lover but do not get out on the trails as often as I'd like. I grew up visiting the Great Smoky Mountains as a kid and used to love hiking in Pisgah National Forrest. This past summer I had the pleasure of visiting Acadia National Park and this summer my wife and I are heading west to visit Mt. Rainier, Crater Lake and Redwood Nat'l Parks. Really hoping to do a decent size section hike in the next year or two and then attempt a thru (NOBO) sometime within the next several years. Anyway, great reading through this thread and the forum in general. Nice to meet all of ya!
Cheers,
Jamie

MDSection12
02-02-2014, 00:19
If only we all had a friend close to hiking this good. ;)

Gus9890
02-04-2014, 23:49
Hello, I'm Gus. I've always wanted to hike the AT and hopefully I'll get to take it on this year. I grew up in the woods of Northwest PA, I was in the Boy Scouts and the Military. even with my background I've still done a lot of research, from ultralight and winter hiking to the experiences, tips, advice, etc. of those that have hiked it. Everyone does things different ways and it all has been helpful. I plan on making a, ultralight thru hike this year but my main goal is to turn it into a yo-yo hike because I like the challenge and because there seems to be very little about it for the AT and I could contribute that experience along with the vast amount of info that's already available about the AT. you have a wonderful site here and I hope I'll be able to see y'all on the trail.

-Gus

HikerMom58
02-05-2014, 07:34
If only we all had a friend close to hiking this good. ;)

B E A U T I F U L! It's great to be your friend!

Hello, I'm Gus. I've always wanted to hike the AT and hopefully I'll get to take it on this year. I grew up in the woods of Northwest PA, I was in the Boy Scouts and the Military. even with my background I've still done a lot of research, from ultralight and winter hiking to the experiences, tips, advice, etc. of those that have hiked it. Everyone does things different ways and it all has been helpful. I plan on making a, ultralight thru hike this year but my main goal is to turn it into a yo-yo hike because I like the challenge and because there seems to be very little about it for the AT and I could contribute that experience along with the vast amount of info that's already available about the AT. you have a wonderful site here and I hope I'll be able to see y'all on the trail.

-Gus

Welcome to WB Gus! Thank you for your service!

I don't do have much to say in the ultralight threads but I admire those that hike light & do it well.

Good luck with your hiking plans!

Gus9890
02-05-2014, 12:56
Thank you for the welcome and the support! My idea of ultralight is probably different than most, my idea is carrying as little and making due with little as possible. Thanks again! :)

ugggggggh
02-05-2014, 15:48
ugggggggh!!! nice to meet you. I AM A 40 YEAR OLD FAT GUY WITH A BEAUTIFUL 45 YEAR OLD WIFE AND 10 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER HOPING TO SOMEDAY MAKE A LONG HIKE WITH THEM. WE ARE PLANNING VARIOUS HIKING/ CAMPING TRIPS THIS SPRING AND SUMMER. AFTER READING A BOOK "HIKING THROUGH" I WAS SO INSPIRED. I DECIDED MY AT IS LOSING WEIGHT. BEING A MINISTER I WANT TO BE SURE OF GOD'S WILL FOR MY LIFE BEFORE I MAKE FURTHER COMMITMENTS THAN THAT.

MDSection12
02-05-2014, 16:02
ugggggggh!!! nice to meet you. I AM A 40 YEAR OLD FAT GUY WITH A BEAUTIFUL 45 YEAR OLD WIFE AND 10 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER HOPING TO SOMEDAY MAKE A LONG HIKE WITH THEM. WE ARE PLANNING VARIOUS HIKING/ CAMPING TRIPS THIS SPRING AND SUMMER. AFTER READING A BOOK "HIKING THROUGH" I WAS SO INSPIRED. I DECIDED MY AT IS LOSING WEIGHT. BEING A MINISTER I WANT TO BE SURE OF GOD'S WILL FOR MY LIFE BEFORE I MAKE FURTHER COMMITMENTS THAN THAT.

http://youtu.be/7pdWAcK6Eh8

Abatis1948
02-05-2014, 16:17
What MDSection 12 means here is you typed your note in allcaps. This equals yelling communicating in the computer world. You must have got it from preaching. No harm intended i'm sure.

HikerMom58
02-05-2014, 16:18

Oh hey ugggggggh. Nice to meet you as well. Looks like you just joined WB.. Welcome. :) I'm happy to hear that you are planning on getting outside with your beautiful family. Hiking is a great way to loose weight and it's really fun.

Hope we can be a help to you in planning those hiking trips.

The reason why my friend MDSection12 posted the video is b/c when someone types in all CAPS, on the internet, it means they are usually YELLING! :)

Nice to have you here, uggggggh!

Hey Abatis1948 ... thanks, you beat me to it! :)

Abatis1948
02-05-2014, 16:36
I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Ashley and Iam an old Army Nurse who is currently working as A Forensic Mental Health Nursefor the state of Florida. It has been a dream of mind to walk the trail fromGeorgia to Maine since 1968. 2016 is my year, retracing many miles of sectionhiking I have done over the years. I really enjoy this site with the manystrong personalities found here. I hopeto meet many of you in person someday. Maybe the folks who head this site upcan have a reunion or something like that someday.

HikerMom58
02-05-2014, 16:43
I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Ashley and Iam an old Army Nurse who is currently working as A Forensic Mental Health Nursefor the state of Florida. It has been a dream of mind to walk the trail fromGeorgia to Maine since 1968. 2016 is my year, retracing many miles of sectionhiking I have done over the years. I really enjoy this site with the manystrong personalities found here. I hopeto meet many of you in person someday. Maybe the folks who head this site upcan have a reunion or something like that someday.

Sweet! :>) I was hoping you would introduce yourself & I almost asked you too! :p We've got the strong personalities covered don't we? Yes indeed! It's nice that you still would like to meet all of us. :) I would love to meet you too!

Thanks for sharing with us. It's very interesting!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-05-2014, 17:20

Come join Snacktime and me!

MDSection12
02-05-2014, 18:00
What MDSection 12 means here is you typed your note in allcaps. This equals yelling communicating in the computer world. You must have got it from preaching. No harm intended i'm sure.

Thanks, you are correct. I meant no harm either, just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a funny!:banana

Abatis1948
02-05-2014, 18:16
Thanks, you are correct. I meant no harm either, just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a funny!:banana I loved it!

TLHiker
02-06-2014, 15:20
Hey y'all. I've been a lurker for a few months now. I'm based out of N Florida. Ive really enjoyed the info on the site. It's helped me make quite a few decisions on gear selection and planning.

As long as everything goes well I have plans for a SOBO in a couple years. I need to pay off my truck, save some $ for the trip, and attempt to get my GISP before I solidify a start date.

I've been backpacking for years, first major trip was a week in the Grand Canyon when I was younger. Since then it's mostly just wkend trips when I can fit them in.

My current base weight is around 17.5lbs, but that will most likely change as time goes on and the anticipated thru hike nears.

Till then I look forward to absorbing as much info as I can from this vast knowledge base and maybe making a few friends.

2014flipper
02-08-2014, 19:39
Hi all. What a great resource this site is! Thanks to all you experienced hikers who are sharing a wealth of knowledge.

I am one who was intrigued by the trail after reading Bryson's book years ago while living in Texas. I'm now living in South Carolina, and unlike our former governor Sanford when I tell people that I am on the Appalachian Trail, I really will be there.

I've posted my thru hike intent in the 2014 registry. I will celebrate my 61st birthday a couple of weeks into my hike.

gETSoutothewild
02-09-2014, 13:09
Im Gabe. From Baltimore, MD but have moved around a bunch since leaving home 6 years ago. I have backpacked quite a bit around the Pisgah and Uwharrie Nat Forests when I lived in NC. I am about to make a pretty big transition in my life shortly and cant wait to celebrate with my first NoBo thru-hike attempt this March! I just joined so I could get a little more access but I have been browsing through here for a few months, a lot of great resources here.

I have been wanting to hike the AT for many years and it is so awesome that I finally get to do it. I have actually done short sections of the AT near Newfound Gap and much farther north near Harpers Ferry, probably not more than 10 miles total. Its going to be pretty cool to reach those spots and think about where I was in life so many years ago.

likeahike
02-09-2014, 16:37
Hello folks, I'm Owen from LA (Lower Alabama). Been hiking since I was a teenager. I've met several AT thru-hikers down here. As for myself, I've done about 1000 miles of the trail over the years, but have little interest in ever thru-hiking - too much of a good thing all at once, I guess. Besides, I like my job, my home, my friends and loved ones too much to leave for six months.

HikerMom58
02-09-2014, 16:48
Im Gabe. From Baltimore, MD but have moved around a bunch since leaving home 6 years ago. I have backpacked quite a bit around the Pisgah and Uwharrie Nat Forests when I lived in NC. I am about to make a pretty big transition in my life shortly and cant wait to celebrate with my first NoBo thru-hike attempt this March! I just joined so I could get a little more access but I have been browsing through here for a few months, a lot of great resources here.

I have been wanting to hike the AT for many years and it is so awesome that I finally get to do it. I have actually done short sections of the AT near Newfound Gap and much farther north near Harpers Ferry, probably not more than 10 miles total. Its going to be pretty cool to reach those spots and think about where I was in life so many years ago.

Hey gETSoutothewild... Nice to have you here! Good luck on your upcoming Thru-hike attempt! Go class of 2014 :)

Hello folks, I'm Owen from LA (Lower Alabama). Been hiking since I was a teenager. I've met several AT thru-hikers down here. As for myself, I've done about 1000 miles of the trail over the years, but have little interest in ever thru-hiking - too much of a good thing all at once, I guess. Besides, I like my job, my home, my friends and loved ones too much to leave for six months.

Hello Owen.. welcome to whiteblaze! I hear ya on this ^^ I feel the same way but I admire those that can do it all at once. It doesn't appeal to me, tho. Nice to have you here! :)

HikerMom58
02-09-2014, 17:03
Daicy... WELCOME! another Roanoker... Yippee!! I have asked Alligator (admin) to fix your post. No worries. It's happened before to others. It's known as the Gray Blazer disease... Gray Blazer is a member here too.. Love ya GB! :)

Welcome to Roanoke too, Daicy! Maybe we can get together some time for a hike! :)

daimonpaul
02-09-2014, 19:35
Hi I'm Daimon, from central Pennsylvania. I'm lucky to live a two hour drive or less from both ends of the AT through Pa, I'm right around the middle and the trail passes through my county. First found an interest when my dad would take me out to overlooks when I was a kid. I've done about 1/3rd of the trail through Pa as well as a little in WV and Maryland. I've also hiked New Hampshire a couple times, near the AT, but not on it...yet

Renfeild
02-10-2014, 12:53
Hello Everybody, My name is Ian. I live in Miami and haven't had much of an opportunity to do much hiking (not many places that I know of down here.) Me and my Best Friend are planning on doing a thru-hike in 2015 so i figured now would be a great time to start getting to know people. I've mostly been lurking, here and on Reddit, as well as doing some gear research. I read A Walk in the Woods when I was 15. The idea of a Thru-hike always intrigued me but I never figured I'd ever actually do it, but with everything I've read and learned over the last few weeks I'm 99% sure that I'm going to do it!

Daicy
02-10-2014, 20:44
HM, thanks for the welcome, and your request to Alligator to delete my grey disease. I tried to edit/delete but don' have permission for that. I submitted a request to admin for "spam" deletion.
When it happened, I asked my rocket-scientist-husband to help me fix it. He checked it out, rolled eyes, and said "at least they don't know who you are." (Smiley)

Mags
02-10-2014, 20:56
HM, thanks for the welcome, and your request to Alligator to delete my grey disease. I tried to edit/delete but don' have permission for that. I submitted a request to admin for "spam" deletion.
When it happened, I asked my rocket-scientist-husband to help me fix it. He checked it out, rolled eyes, and said "at least they don't know who you are." (Smiley)

No problem Daicey! :) You can add photos, just click on the PHOTO icon (looks like it has a tree) and enter the web address of where the photo is located.

Welcome! :)

Sierra2015
02-10-2014, 20:57
I was tempted to quote it for pure hilarity. :p

HikerMom58
02-10-2014, 21:23

That's funny! You sound just like me. :) When I get into a problem like that I send out the S.O.S for my husband too! Sounds like a similar response as well! :p

Daicy
02-10-2014, 21:24
Thanks Mags and Sierra. I tried to add a smiley thing, but I seem to be "challenged". Mags, my mom asked me to send the pic of her on the AT to everyone I know. That's only 6 people. So that's when I thought I'd share it on WB. I'm going to try again. Sierra, I also thought about "quoting for fun", but then thought I might get booted:-)) Seriously, all 30 pages for a little picture? I hope I don't have a virus beyond grey disease. Ugh.

HikerMom58
02-10-2014, 21:27
No problem Daicey! :) You can add photos, just click on the PHOTO icon (looks like it has a tree) and enter the web address of where the photo is located.

Welcome! :)

Thanks Mags! :)

I was tempted to quote it for pure hilarity. :p

Ha ha Sierra2015... someone did that before but on another thread, we didn't know quite how to take it. :o

Kc Fiedler
02-10-2014, 21:32
The username says it all. Kc Fiedler, originally from Michigan. I started backpacking when I was about 16, taught myself from the ground up. My first backpacking trip was to the top of Tennet Mountain in the Shining Rock Wilderness, NC. I got a massive sunburn, carried about 5 lbs of food for an overnight and set up my tent on top of the mountain where I was nearly blown off in the night. Let's suffice it to say that I've learned a lot from many mistakes and have figured out a thing or two about backpacking since that trip.

I worked as a county park ranger for several years and was lucky enough to fill in a summer position as a summer camp naturalist at age 19. That same summer I was sitting around watching Survivorman on TV and a lightbulb went on in my head. What if I could make it my career to play in the outdoors?

Since then I've become a nationally certified EMT to which I added a WFR certification (WFR+EMT = WEMT) from the Wilderness Medicine Institute and was incredibly fortunate to learn from the one and only Buck Tilton. I got my degree in Outdoor Education and Leadership a couple years back and now spend my summers guiding backpacking trips around the country. As part of my OE&L degree I participated in a month long backcountry backpacking and rock climbing course through NOLS which was spent hiking the southern Wind River Mountains in Wyoming mainly off trail. My favorite summer job so far has been leading trips on the AT. I spend my winters working as a full time ski instructor for Deer Valley Resort in Utah.

I am an ultralight backpacker and love working on my gear. I'm also a hammock hanger during the summer months.

I'll be setting foot on the AT at Springer for a 2014 NOBO around the second week of May.

See y'all out there.

Sierra2015
02-10-2014, 22:34
The username says it all. Kc Fiedler, originally from Michigan. I started backpacking when I was about 16, taught myself from the ground up. My first backpacking trip was to the top of Tennet Mountain in the Shining Rock Wilderness, NC. I got a massive sunburn, carried about 5 lbs of food for an overnight and set up my tent on top of the mountain where I was nearly blown off in the night. Let's suffice it to say that I've learned a lot from many mistakes and have figured out a thing or two about backpacking since that trip.

I worked as a county park ranger for several years and was lucky enough to fill in a summer position as a summer camp naturalist at age 19. That same summer I was sitting around watching Survivorman on TV and a lightbulb went on in my head. What if I could make it my career to play in the outdoors?

Since then I've become a nationally certified EMT to which I added a WFR certification (WFR+EMT = WEMT) from the Wilderness Medicine Institute and was incredibly fortunate to learn from the one and only Buck Tilton. I got my degree in Outdoor Education and Leadership a couple years back and now spend my summers guiding backpacking trips around the country. As part of my OE&L degree I participated in a month long backcountry backpacking and rock climbing course through NOLS which was spent hiking the southern Wind River Mountains in Wyoming mainly off trail. My favorite summer job so far has been leading trips on the AT. I spend my winters working as a full time ski instructor for Deer Valley Resort in Utah.

I am an ultralight backpacker and love working on my gear. I'm also a hammock hanger during the summer months.

I'll be setting foot on the AT at Springer for a 2014 NOBO around the second week of May.

See y'all out there.

... You sound so cool! Congrats on being awesome. Lol

Kc Fiedler
02-10-2014, 22:37
... You sound so cool! Congrats on being awesome. Lol

Oh god I can only imagine the wave of smart-ass remarks you've just opened up for people. Thank you, though, for your very nice compliment.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-10-2014, 22:43
Well, yes KcF....but we'll save them for another thread! :D

Daicy
02-10-2014, 22:48
I have one more disease beyond the grey-disease and smashed leg. Ugh. I'm usually very private, but this is the place I'm going to talk.
I have "tortuous carotid arteries" and I have a brain aneurysm. My brain aneurysm can't be fixed with a coil. It will need to be fixed with brain surgery. I'll find out soon if I need BRAIN surgery. In the meantime, I'll keep on walking!

Kitfox man
02-10-2014, 22:54
Hello ! My name is Brian I've worked out side in the woods 28 years and took my first job inside at Lowe's RDC last year . I don't miss being cold and wet when working but I miss being out side in the woods so much .... I went and bought my first backpack this year to get back in the woods . I done a 3 hour trip two weeks ago and a trip Sunday about 4 hour and I'm so hooked ... I don't much like going alone but but had a great time :-)

Calhoun Ga.

HikerMom58
02-10-2014, 22:56
I have one more disease beyond the grey-disease and smashed leg. Ugh. I'm usually very private, but this is the place I'm going to talk.
I have "tortuous carotid arteries" and I have a brain aneurysm. My brain aneurysm can't be fixed with a coil. It will need to be fixed with brain surgery. I'll find out soon if I need BRAIN surgery. In the meantime, I'll keep on walking!

Hey Daicy... we love your spirit! Keep talking girl, we are here for ya!

Keep calm and keep walking! See you soon! :)

Kc Fiedler and Sierra2015... you kids are on your own! :banana Welp, Maybe teacher's got that one! :p

HikerMom58
02-10-2014, 23:00
Hey Brian ... Welcome in! Whoa... 28 years outside is a longggg time to be outside workin. Working inside would be quite a shock.

We plan hikes and get together from time to time. If it works out for you to join in.. come on!

Kitfox man
02-10-2014, 23:24
Thanks Hikermom58 .. It was a shock . Were are you guys planning the trip to start?

HikerMom58
02-10-2014, 23:59
We'll be posting them when it comes closer to the time. I know one hike is planned for the end of April, near Roanoke,VA. Teacher & Snacktime is going to NC for a hike too. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
02-11-2014, 00:12
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/group.php?groupid=37 These are the current hikes planned Kitfox

MikeD
02-11-2014, 22:15
Hi I am new to WB and came here to meet fellow hikers and see whats new in the hiking world. I thru hiked the AT in 2011 and since have done a few hikes in the Porcupine Mountains State Park in MI, and the Ice Age Trail in WI. This summer I am going to try to get onto the Superior Trail in MN and I am planning another thru hike on the AT in 2015. What a nice place to meet and learn from other hikers.

HikerMom58
02-11-2014, 23:24
Welcome in MikeD! Congrats on your thru-hike! :)

homelesswook
02-11-2014, 23:57
My first serious hike will be Waynesboro - Front Royal in mid may. I am happy I found so much information in one spot. Virtually any question I have had can be answered with a quick search. Thanks everyone.

Quick question - What does NoBo and SoBo mean? From context I think they mean solo or with another hiker but they seem to be acronyms and i cant figure it out (i hate not being able to figure out internet acronyms).

Sierra2015
02-12-2014, 00:00
My first serious hike will be Waynesboro - Front Royal in mid may. I am happy I found so much information in one spot. Virtually any question I have had can be answered with a quick search. Thanks everyone.

Quick question - What does NoBo and SoBo mean? From context I think they mean solo or with another hiker but they seem to be acronyms and i cant figure it out (i hate not being able to figure out internet acronyms).
Northbound and southbound. ^_^

homelesswook
02-12-2014, 00:02
I have reading comprehension problems :P. Thanks :D

GirlfromOZ
02-12-2014, 01:34
Hello White Blaze Community,

I'm excited to learn from the wealth of knowledge the hikers using this forum seem to have amassed.

My name is Steph, 26, from Sydney Australia and the majority of my hiking experience comes from day hikes,while my camping experience is from car camping so I have a lot to learn before I'm ready for a real long distance hike!

Most miles under my belt in one trip is I think 60, although I'm still getting use to converting everything to a different measurement! (Kokoda Trail, PNG)

I currently serve in the Royal Australian Navy, and after 6 years am discharging July this year.
I've decided to take time next year for a small "I don't know what to do with my life crisis" My very unrefined plan is to start north from Springer 2015 and see where the trail takes me... Gives me something to focus on and plan towards when a lot of other things are a bit undecided.

Plus I've been itching to get back to the states after stepping in San Diego!

Really looking forward to getting to know you all and following this years hikers

xSteph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 13:10
Nice to meet you too GirlfromOZ! WELCOME!

I love San Diego! :>)

We have some guys from OZ, we know. A few actually. :) They hiked the trail in 2013. They were fun to follow too.

Jump right in & make yourself at home! Nice to have you here!

GirlfromOZ
02-12-2014, 16:56
Thanks HikerMom!

I certainly have a lot to learn, so I'll be pouring through old thread topics for awhile I think!!

I think the biggest wall I've hit so far is that most Australian suppliers are geared for car camping, making it a bit harder to find good prices on some of the big ticket light weight items.

I wonder if any of the other Aussies know where to go for great prices???

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 17:39
You are welcome, GirlfromOZ!

I'll put the word out for ya.. maybe we can get some of the Aussie's that hiked last year to help you out with those questions you have. OZ and IM (invisible man) are their trail names. They are super nice and helpful! Kanga is around here somewhere as well. :0)

Prime Time
02-13-2014, 10:50
You are welcome, GirlfromOZ!

I'll put the word out for ya.. maybe we can get some of the Aussie's that hiked last year to help you out with those questions you have. OZ and IM (invisible man) are their trail names. They are super nice and helpful! Kanga is around here somewhere as well. :0)
Love IM and Oz (Jacko?)! I hiked with them now and then. They always brought a smile to my face! Try and get IM to tell his hike naked day story. I still laugh when I think about it.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-13-2014, 11:04
Love IM and Oz (Jacko?)! I hiked with them now and then. They always brought a smile to my face! Try and get IM to tell his hike naked day story. I still laugh when I think about it.

Violet sent me a picture on FB! Oh my.....

Sierra2015
02-13-2014, 11:08
Violet sent me a picture on FB! Oh my.....
Please tell me it has to do with some sort of sunburn.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-13-2014, 11:09
Oh no.....it would in fact be IM naked on a rock ledge....but tastefully arranged.

Sierra2015
02-13-2014, 11:13
Oh no.....it would in fact be IM naked on a rock ledge....but tastefully arranged.
... I'm inappropriately curious considering I don't know the guy!

*goes back to failing to lurk*

Prime Time
02-13-2014, 11:36
My indelible recolloction was of IM walking out of the Ironmasters Hostel, clad only in hiking boots, backpack (which fortunately rode low on him), and a discreetly placed 9" x 12" Austrailian flag/loincloth. He apperently didn't get the memo about getting a bit into the woods before commencing with hike naked day festivities. Truly hysterical.

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 12:10

I love both of them too... I always call him OZ but I think you are right about this trail name- Jacko. :)

I'm still trying to get the answers to the questions that GirlfromOZ posted. We are in different time zones.

K_Squared
02-13-2014, 13:00
Hey everyone! I know I'm a little late to this thread, but better late than never! My name is Backwards (Kristen) and my husband Conan (Jason) and I thru-hiked in 2010. I mostly just lurk around the site, reliving our wonderful adventure through all the posts here :)

We just moved to Atlanta from NYC and are excited to be back closer to our beloved AT. Technically, we were closer to the trail in NYC, but it's a lot easier to get to the trail when you have your own transportation. I look forward to "meeting" you all. Thanks for posting this, HM!

GirlfromOZ
02-13-2014, 14:43
Hi Backwards and Conan, look forward to hearing more about your thru and your new adventures with the trail!!

xSteph

GirlfromOZ
02-13-2014, 14:52
HikerMom,

Different days as well as zones!!

I think I'll be ordering a few things from the US and maybe taking a few days once I arrive in the states to go to the outfitters before I hit the trail!

The shipping costs are a little high, (Starts around $50) but I think I still saved money and weight by ordering a tarp tent internationally than by buying anything here!!

What items do Whiteblazers think must be tried and tested before hitting the trail, and what can be adjusted as you go?? Noting that I can't really test for 'warmth' unless the local maccas is willing to let me borrow their walk in freezer??

Loving the stories of OZ and IM, they sound like great value! I think I'll definitely try to track them down on here.... In the least stalkerish way.

x Steph

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 20:50
HikerMom,

Different days as well as zones!!

I think I'll be ordering a few things from the US and maybe taking a few days once I arrive in the states to go to the outfitters before I hit the trail!

The shipping costs are a little high, (Starts around $50) but I think I still saved money and weight by ordering a tarp tent internationally than by buying anything here!!

What items do Whiteblazers think must be tried and tested before hitting the trail, and what can be adjusted as you go?? Noting that I can't really test for 'warmth' unless the local maccas is willing to let me borrow their walk in freezer??

Loving the stories of OZ and IM, they sound like great value! I think I'll definitely try to track them down on here.... In the least stalkerish way.

x Steph

No prob. Steph... I just heard back from OZ. I just PMed you. You'll love conversing with them. They can give you lots of great info and tips.

Stay in touch with us too. :)

I wish you the best, Steph.

HikerMom

Julio
02-13-2014, 22:20
Hi Hiker Mom, I'm Julio, newbie to this site. I'm an avid "outdoor guy". After many years of hiking and camping just about everywhere I'm ready to join the AT clan. I've always wanted to, since the 60's. I plan on doing a few section hikes this year, starting with a run thru Jersey into the gap in Pa. I hope to run into folks who will give me some ideas. All this is prep for my nobo thru hike next March. I like this site and I believe it's gonna help a lot. Be well and maybe We'll cross paths someday.
"There are strangers, only friends you have not yet met.

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 22:42
Hi Hiker Mom, I'm Julio, newbie to this site. I'm an avid "outdoor guy". After many years of hiking and camping just about everywhere I'm ready to join the AT clan. I've always wanted to, since the 60's. I plan on doing a few section hikes this year, starting with a run thru Jersey into the gap in Pa. I hope to run into folks who will give me some ideas. All this is prep for my nobo thru hike next March. I like this site and I believe it's gonna help a lot. Be well and maybe We'll cross paths someday.
"There are no strangers, only friends you have not yet met.

Hi Julio....WELCOME to Whiteblaze. I love that quote! I hope to meet you one day too!

Odd Man Out
02-13-2014, 23:31
...My name is Steph, 26, from Sydney Australia and the majority of my hiking experience comes from day hikes,while my camping experience is from car camping so I have a lot to learn before I'm ready for a real long distance hike!

Most miles under my belt in one trip is I think 60, although I'm still getting use to converting everything to a different measurement! (Kokoda Trail, PNG)

I currently serve in the Royal Australian Navy, and after 6 years am discharging July this year.
I've decided to take time next year for a small "I don't know what to do with my life crisis" My very unrefined plan is to start north from Springer 2015 and see where the trail takes me... Gives me something to focus on and plan towards when a lot of other things are a bit undecided.

Plus I've been itching to get back to the states after stepping in San Diego!

Really looking forward to getting to know you all and following this years hikers

Don't think you will have too much trouble meeting fellow Aussies. I meet so many everywhere I go. Sometimes I think there must not be any left in Australia, as much as you all seem to get around. Don't fret converting to miles. It sounds more impressive to say you hiked 100 km! It would do us Americans good to get on board with the other 99.5% of the countries. If your only US experience was in SD, you may be surprised to find out how different GA is. For that matter, an AT thru hike will provide a nice cross section of the eastern US and the hikers give a nice cross section of the whole country.

Heeler59
02-20-2014, 14:46
Since I've started posting some, I should introduce myself. I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest and hike and backpack frequently. I've done at most 130 miles on a single backpack trip. I have wanted to thru hike the AT since I first heard of it(and I don't remember when I was first aware of it). I lived in NH for four years and thought the Whites were just beautiful, in a very different way from the mountains of the west.
I am toying with the idea of a southbound hike around July 1st. I am sick of my job, and although this wouldn't be the smartest move financially, I do have the means to drop everything and just go. I already have much of my gear, and I love the fact that, on the AT, versus the PCT, you can virtually drop yourself on the trail with little planning, and resupply in towns along the way. (with the possible exception of the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine). I enjoy solitude, but also enjoy meeting new people on the trail. I just don't feel like I need company the entire way. Plus, if I don't make it(and let's face it, the majority don't), at the very least I hope to get through Maine and NH, two of the most beautiful states. I keep pretty fit here in Oregon, and take advantage of the steep climbs we have here in the Columbia Gorge. I know my knees will take a beating, though.
I welcome any advice from former thru hikers. I have heard Wired's talks on the PCT and the CDT here in Oregon, and she is quite inspiring. Check out her blog, walkingwithwired.com.

HikerMom58
02-20-2014, 14:55
Nice post, Heeler59... thanks for introducing yourself & a warm welcome to White Blaze! :)

Kevin B
02-20-2014, 18:35
Hi, I'm Kevin

I'm Just starting into hiking/ backpacking and joined White Blaze recently to try and learn the best gear to buy for section hiking the AT, which I am planning on starting to do this spring or summer. Just getting ready to start purchasing gear and any advice would be appreciated, Also I am learning a lot reading the different articles and posts on this site. I would appreciate any hints or advice to help a new hiker. Thanks for the warm welcome!!

HikerMom58
02-20-2014, 21:11
Hey Kevin.. nice to have you here! My brother's name is Kevin.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about gear etc...Again, welcome in Kevin B!

whiskeystick
02-26-2014, 21:40
Bingo from NJ live about 35 min from the trail and have been putting sections together with my wife rainbow bright. My

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whiskeystick
02-26-2014, 21:41
Ipad fingers..... We will see as many as possible on the trail!

Deer Hunter
03-06-2014, 14:07
Good thread. ^^^^^^^^^^

88BlueGT
03-06-2014, 15:00
Hi my name is Dan and I'm addicted to the outdoors :) I've been here for quite some time but I tend to stop posting for months at a time. When things don't go right in my life I always tend to gravitate towards whiteblaze to make myself feel better. Sooooo I'm here!

Sanna
03-06-2014, 15:34
Hi! I'm Sanna. I've been lurking for a while. I am planning on NOBO next year. WB has been great to see others opinions on all things AT!

HikerMom58
03-06-2014, 15:35
Hi my name is Dan and I'm addicted to the outdoors :) I've been here for quite some time but I tend to stop posting for months at a time. When things don't go right in my life I always tend to gravitate towards whiteblaze to make myself feel better. Sooooo I'm here!

Hey Dan.. I think I remember "talking" to you a while ago on WB. lol. We hope we can make you feel better, laugh or smile. Welcome in.

Thanks for the bump, DH.

Also, a warm welcome to whiskeystick!

88BlueGT
03-06-2014, 17:14
Hey Dan.. I think I remember "talking" to you a while ago on WB. lol. We hope we can make you feel better, laugh or smile. Welcome in.

Yes! We have talked a few times! If I can't ACTUALLY escape; being here makes me at least feel like I'm escaping lol

stupid adage
03-06-2014, 19:04
Hi everybody. I'm pretty new here, though I've lurked for a few months scouring the forums for interesting chit chat. I like fishing and hiking. Let's see, a sprinkle about myself: Planning on doing a sobo next may/june. I think I got what it takes, I have a fair bit of backcountry camping experience, I excersize, I diet, I don't masturbate too often, I definately have the smile for it (I always say - "Miles upon Miles, make sure you smile", I came up with that), and I consider myself to be pretty tough. I'm a fighter. ... So yea I really love being outside and with momma nature. In normal life I may be a prisoner but with her I'm free! Thank you everyone for letting me introduce myself, and I hope you will all welcome me with the warmth I deserve and expect (or demand). ... And if I cross any lines or upset anyone please let me know. I am serious about hiking the trail next summer so I don't want my sense of humor getting me in trouble, poor and weird as it is, it's the only thing that's kept me sane through the years. Thanks again.

Oak88
03-06-2014, 19:32
Hello all, I have read many posts for the last 3 years in preparation for my thru hike which I did accomplish last year. I found lots of great advice here and by reading TrailJournals.com (http://www.trailjounals.com). By reading posts here I was able to anticipate every possible scenario along the trail. There were few surprises along the way. I will say that some of my fellow hikers were turned off by negative postings on WhiteBlaze. I have bit my tongue many times and have always tried to keep posts upbeat and positive. I rarely post but having walked the walk I feel somewhat entitled to speak up at times. I intend to so some short hikes this spring and summer along the trail and do some trail magic from time to time.

Studlintsean
03-06-2014, 23:34
Hi everybody. I'm pretty new here, though I've lurked for a few months scouring the forums for interesting chit chat. I like fishing and hiking. Let's see, a sprinkle about myself: Planning on doing a sobo next may/june. I think I got what it takes, I have a fair bit of backcountry camping experience, I excersize, I diet, I don't masturbate too often, I definately have the smile for it (I always say - "Miles upon Miles, make sure you smile", I came up with that), and I consider myself to be pretty tough. I'm a fighter. ... So yea I really love being outside and with momma nature. In normal life I may be a prisoner but with her I'm free! Thank you everyone for letting me introduce myself, and I hope you will all welcome me with the warmth I deserve and expect (or demand). ... And if I cross any lines or upset anyone please let me know. I am serious about hiking the trail next summer so I don't want my sense of humor getting me in trouble, poor and weird as it is, it's the only thing that's kept me sane through the years. Thanks again.

I happen to be strong advocate of the Pit Bull breed and you disclosing in your activities is certainly not welcome here. And then I read the rest of your post. My blood was boiling. Welcome and I'm studlintsean.

stupid adage
03-07-2014, 15:05
Hey! Sorry about that. People who fight dogs for sport are pretty low on the human scum ladder, just to clarify my personal feelings on the matter. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/think.gif ...But what a contradiction that would be for somebody to come here and talk up how much they really love nature, and by the way, they happen to love to dogfighting! ......Ok sorry. It's not funny. I'll stop now and try to filter myself better in the future. Thanks for the welcome Studlintsean! It's a pleasure to meet you!

macdaddy
03-07-2014, 15:37
Hello HikerMom!

Been lurking alot and posting a little since April of last year. Live about 10 miles from the Swift Run Gap entrance to SNP. My sister and I do alot of day hikes in the park and the Massanutten range. We did FR to HF last year in four days, the roller coaster beat us up pretty good. Love to Blue Blaze and Bushwack(my trail name).

Studlintsean
03-07-2014, 15:49
Hey! Sorry about that. People who fight dogs for sport are pretty low on the human scum ladder, just to clarify my personal feelings on the matter. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/think.gif ...But what a contradiction that would be for somebody to come here and talk up how much they really love nature, and by the way, they happen to love to dogfighting! ......Ok sorry. It's not funny. I'll stop now and try to filter myself better in the future. Thanks for the welcome Studlintsean! It's a pleasure to meet you!

No hard feelings here. I should have read the entire post. You just happen to hit my soft spot.

erieite
03-07-2014, 16:04
Hello, I am Erieite, 58 and can retire Jan 1, 2018. Would like to attempt a AT Thru-hike in the spring of 2018. Love reading White Blaze posts, there is a lot of great info.

MockingJay
03-07-2014, 16:25
MockingJay here. I've lurked in the shadows for a while but finally decided to sign up. I started hiking the AT 10 years ago this month when I returned home from a year in Iraq. I put in 50 miles (including the approach trail) before life called me back to reality and kept me too busy to get back to it. Sadly, even though I've lived in three states since then, I've never been more than 7-8 hours away...and now it's only 5. But ever since, the Trail has been calling to me like a far off mistress. Now 10 years, two kids, a steady job, and a mortgage later, I sit in my cubicle every day daydreaming about when I can get back up/out there. Feel fortunate to say that I've found a hiking partner to push me to keep planning and two weeks ago we finished up Georgia. Hooray for walking off your first map! Will I ever finish? Hopefully...but I can't wait until retirement, the call of the trail is too loud. I heard that the record for section hikers finishing the trail is something like 46 years. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long. I guess something's gotta give before then.

SnailRacer
03-07-2014, 18:44
Aloha from the Big Island:

It appears I am what is known as a "lurker" ( it sounds nefarious). I saw the AT Documentary on Netflix 2 yrs ago and immediately started internet searching. I planned on retiring early last yr, but was recruited by a headhunter for a new position I couldn't refuse. Currently looking at 2015 as both retirement and an AT Thru-hike. My experience is mostly hiking here on the Big Island. We used to (1985) wake up in Waipio Valley, pack the horse and be in Waimanu Valley (10 miles) before 8:00am having Bfast on the beach. I've stayed in fairly decent shape by officiating youth and high school football and basketball and doing regular day hikes. I bought Granite Gear packs for me & my son (20 yrs old) along with sleeping pads and am currently convincing him how challenging this adventure will be. I've noticed a core group that posts most of the info here and they should all be commended. If my boss knew how much time I spend "lurking", I would probably be asked to at least take a pay cut.

PS: Can I change my login name?

whiskeystick
03-07-2014, 18:55
Aloha! Did you hike the kalalau trail. Was ready to hike the trail in September but the way was not passable at the time. Welcome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnailRacer
03-07-2014, 20:02
Aloha! Did you hike the kalalau trail. Was ready to hike the trail in September but the way was not passable at the time. Welcome!!!

I have never hiked Kalalau, but the Waipio/Waimanu Trail is approx. the same distance, just not along the cliffs. The W/W Trail has just as many PUDS (WB code), just about .5 miles from the cliffs.

Thank you for the welcome!!

whiskeystick
03-07-2014, 21:21
Nice I can't wait to go back the aloha sprit is calling me....

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-07-2014, 22:41
Don't have an official trail name yet but in here I am known as 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker but I think Lady Thru is plenty. I found WB looking for AT related-sites. Checked it out from a distance for a while and just recently joined. I am presently from Mechanicsville Va. I am a crazy old lady with a huge dream that nothing short of hiking the Appalachian Trail will fulfill. I've spent lots of time camping but have never backpacked and the furthest I have ever hiked is 12 miles on Whetstone Ridge in the BlueRidge. So it probably seems pretty crazy that I actually WANT to hike almost 2200 on purpose but sometimes there is something that gets born inside you that seems right despite the odds. I am grateful for this page and those here who have gone before us and share what you have learned. Looking forward to getting altogether over the next year and taking off from Springer March 9, 2015:-)

PS: thanks for keeping up with this thread HikerMom58 :-)

darkbyrd
03-07-2014, 22:53
I'm darkbyrd, and I like to hike and bushwhack in western NC, and I sleep in a hammock. I've never been on the AT, and I don't have any plans to at this point. But hiking is hiking, and there's a lot of good information on this site.

Dawkins Leffel
03-08-2014, 01:56
What's up, guys? Brand new at distance hiking but I'm fit and very excited to start my attempt for Katahdin on April Fool's Day this year. Feel like I'm properly geared up. A little intimidated. But still eager to start. I hope I can finish. How tough am I? The idea of kissing that sign on Katahdin seems surreal right now, but I'm gonna try to make it reality. Have three more weeks to train my mind and body. I like your idea HikerMom58. A big part of this trail experience is meeting the new and interesting people that do the trail. Looking forward to meeting a few of you guys on the trail in the next few months. Good luck to all of you.

HikerMom58
03-09-2014, 00:08
Hello all, I have read many posts for the last 3 years in preparation for my thru hike which I did accomplish last year. I found lots of great advice here and by reading TrailJournals.com (http://www.trailjounals.com). By reading posts here I was able to anticipate every possible scenario along the trail. There were few surprises along the way. I will say that some of my fellow hikers were turned off by negative postings on WhiteBlaze. I have bit my tongue many times and have always tried to keep posts upbeat and positive. I rarely post but having walked the walk I feel somewhat entitled to speak up at times. I intend to so some short hikes this spring and summer along the trail and do some trail magic from time to time.

Hey Oak88... Congrats on your thru hike!! We need you to jump in here when you can! WELCOME! :>)

Hello HikerMom!

Been lurking alot and posting a little since April of last year. Live about 10 miles from the Swift Run Gap entrance to SNP. My sister and I do alot of day hikes in the park and the Massanutten range. We did FR to HF last year in four days, the roller coaster beat us up pretty good. Love to Blue Blaze and Bushwack(my trail name).

Hi macdaddy Welcome in! I like your trail name Bushwack!

Hello, I am Erieite, 58 and can retire Jan 1, 2018. Would like to attempt a AT Thru-hike in the spring of 2018. Love reading White Blaze posts, there is a lot of great info.

Nice to have you here, Erieite!

MockingJay here. I've lurked in the shadows for a while but finally decided to sign up. I started hiking the AT 10 years ago this month when I returned home from a year in Iraq. I put in 50 miles (including the approach trail) before life called me back to reality and kept me too busy to get back to it. Sadly, even though I've lived in three states since then, I've never been more than 7-8 hours away...and now it's only 5. But ever since, the Trail has been calling to me like a far off mistress. Now 10 years, two kids, a steady job, and a mortgage later, I sit in my cubicle every day daydreaming about when I can get back up/out there. Feel fortunate to say that I've found a hiking partner to push me to keep planning and two weeks ago we finished up Georgia. Hooray for walking off your first map! Will I ever finish? Hopefully...but I can't wait until retirement, the call of the trail is too loud. I heard that the record for section hikers finishing the trail is something like 46 years. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long. I guess something's gotta give before then.

Thanks for your service MockingJay.. Congrats on finishing GA. From one section hiker to another I hope we both finish in the next 46 years... lol. Nice to have you here! :)

Aloha from the Big Island:

It appears I am what is known as a "lurker" ( it sounds nefarious). I saw the AT Documentary on Netflix 2 yrs ago and immediately started internet searching. I planned on retiring early last yr, but was recruited by a headhunter for a new position I couldn't refuse. Currently looking at 2015 as both retirement and an AT Thru-hike. My experience is mostly hiking here on the Big Island. We used to (1985) wake up in Waipio Valley, pack the horse and be in Waimanu Valley (10 miles) before 8:00am having Bfast on the beach. I've stayed in fairly decent shape by officiating youth and high school football and basketball and doing regular day hikes. I bought Granite Gear packs for me & my son (20 yrs old) along with sleeping pads and am currently convincing him how challenging this adventure will be. I've noticed a core group that posts most of the info here and they should all be commended. If my boss knew how much time I spend "lurking", I would probably be asked to at least take a pay cut.

PS: Can I change my login name?

Welcome in from Hawaii!! You are right about having a great core group of posters here! They are GREAT! We love lurkers too so it's not all bad! ;) We especially like lurkers that introduce themselves. :D

You can contact Alligator (shoot him a PM) for a username change. He'll be happy to change it for you.

OR post on this thread..
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72047-Would-like-to-change-username

It's great to have you here!

HikerMom58
03-09-2014, 00:16

Okay.. don't demand a warm welcome... we welcome you.

HikerMom58
03-09-2014, 00:25
Don't have an official trail name yet but in here I am known as 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker but I think Lady Thru is plenty. I found WB looking for AT related-sites. Checked it out from a distance for a while and just recently joined. I am presently from Mechanicsville Va. I am a crazy old lady with a huge dream that nothing short of hiking the Appalachian Trail will fulfill. I've spent lots of time camping but have never backpacked and the furthest I have ever hiked is 12 miles on Whetstone Ridge in the BlueRidge. So it probably seems pretty crazy that I actually WANT to hike almost 2200 on purpose but sometimes there is something that gets born inside you that seems right despite the odds. I am grateful for this page and those here who have gone before us and share what you have learned. Looking forward to getting altogether over the next year and taking off from Springer March 9, 2015:-)

PS: thanks for keeping up with this thread HikerMom58 :-)

I've noticed you on the 2015 threads... Welcome in 2015 Lady Thru-hiker! :) Thanks for sharing this ^^ with us, very interesting! :)

Your welcome, I'm glad you enjoy this thread too! :) Nice to have you here!

Hey welcome to you as well, darkbyrd. Yeah, hiking IS hiking... maybe you can share with us about other trails too. :cool:

HikerMom58
03-09-2014, 00:29
What's up, guys? Brand new at distance hiking but I'm fit and very excited to start my attempt for Katahdin on April Fool's Day this year. Feel like I'm properly geared up. A little intimidated. But still eager to start. I hope I can finish. How tough am I? The idea of kissing that sign on Katahdin seems surreal right now, but I'm gonna try to make it reality. Have three more weeks to train my mind and body. I like your idea HikerMom58. A big part of this trail experience is meeting the new and interesting people that do the trail. Looking forward to meeting a few of you guys on the trail in the next few months. Good luck to all of you.

COOL!! We wish you the BEST Dawkins Leffel! We are pulling for ya... GO CLASS of 2014! Check in with us as you hike towards Katahdin. Thanks for introducing yourself!

Sacchoromyces
03-10-2014, 11:11
I guess I never have done this. Huh...

I am in NEOH, have never set foot on the AT (wish to desperately), and have backpacked extensively on the trails in/around the state forests of PA. Longest I've been out was 6 days while fishing the trout streams of Cameron, Potter, and McKean counties.

More recently I have been riding my bicycle to cover distances and camp. Bikepacking is far easier on my well overused knees.

Sacchoromyces
03-10-2014, 11:15
but as far as planning an itinerary and budget... I feel lost!

Even the best plans only survive first contact with the enemy (or trail). Just pack for the first week's travel and start winging it. There is plenty of help on trail (at least where I've been), and I read about the abundant "trail magic" on the AT all the time.

In short: Go git'chou some.

Kc Fiedler
03-20-2014, 10:27
Hello everyone!

I'm Christie Belle (also a Southern-Belle!). I've lived in Western North Carolina most of my life, and when I wasn't living here I lived above 8,000 ft. in Colorado. I've flirted with the AT ever since I started college at Appalachian State, taking weekend trips, day hikes, and a couple 3-4 day trips on several of the NC AT trails and just recently I met the ponies on Mt. Rogers, VA!! I suppose I've been lurking for a month or two, trying to read and research as much as possible! I'm planning on a thru-hike starting first week of April, but I have to admit I don't know how to start the actual planning process. I have at least 7 AT books, I've been devouring this website as well as others, I'm pretty set on gear, but as far as planning an itinerary and budget... I feel lost! I grow more and more excited each day although my parents frown on me for wanting to hike alone (I will for sure get murdered & such). I'd love to get into contact with as many of you AT veterans as possible, you all have an endless supply of info and encouragement :)

If you need help figuring out where to start with the planning and itinerary process let me know. I am one of the few here (though there are definitely others) making daily itineraries for my trips. Good luck!

FishyOne
03-22-2014, 23:11
Fishyone - I like to fish... I hike to fish. Saw that somewhere, that's me in a nut shell. Fishing the last 15 yrs in Maine HMW for brook trout. I helped HeartWalker get back on white blaze, then went on to one of my fav ponds to fish...what a day. He's on 2013 trail journals - thru hiker. By the way did I say I like to fish!!!!

Sugarfoot
03-23-2014, 06:18
I'm Sugarfoot. I've been hiking the AT for 20 years, all of it at least once, and some sections many times. I don't plan to stop. I tried thru-hiking last year but my knees had other ideas. With custom braces, I'll be back out this year and if that doesn't work, I'll get new knees.

HikerMom58
03-23-2014, 13:21
THanks for the introductions y'all!! Nice to meet you! FishyOne.. I had to see if you posted on the fishing thread...lol! Yup, you sure did! :D

SCShooter1983
03-23-2014, 21:23
I'm Seth, I was in the army and spent a lot of time in the mountains of Afghanistan and to be honest loved the views and challenges. I'd love to thru hike the AT but due to children I can't. But I'll be sectioning this winter. I live in aynor sc.

HikerMom58
03-23-2014, 21:47
Welcome Seth & thank you for your service! We have a lot of section hikers in this forum, not a thing wrong with that! Welcome aboard! :)

warld piece
03-26-2014, 23:40
I'm Warld piece,
I started a thru hike in 2000, did warm up and gear testing hikes from Lambert's meadow to Buena vista that spring. Then started from approach trail in Georgia and made it to Mt. Rogers where I split my head open and had to go home to heal. Ended up going to log cabin school after that.
Hope to start from Mt. Rogers in April and head north for awhile, then hit Mt. Rogers again in time to go south to Damascus for Trail Days. Got hit by a van on my motorcycle 5 years ago so a pack will feel much different now. My backpack is made of treebark, I'm finishing up touches on some homemade gear. Hikers in the last few years may have met me doing trail magic near Buena vista in a maroon 2wd Toyota pick up. I went by the trail name phree in 2000.

HikerMom58
03-27-2014, 12:27
Hey-- Welcome in warld piece. I wonder if Deer Hunter has met you while doing trail magic. He lives in Buena Vista! :)

Deer Hunter
03-27-2014, 12:55
Hey-- Welcome in warld piece. I wonder if Deer Hunter has met you while doing trail magic. He lives in Buena Vista! :)

I missed him. :( Warld, let me know the next time you are going to do magic near BV and I will try and help you.

warld piece
03-28-2014, 20:18
Thanks for the welcome,
I was born in Rockbridge, family from timber ridge and Fairfield. Grew up in Lynchburg.
Deer hunter if you came into Jim's True value the last 3-4 months before it closed/changed we probably met. I worked there for a short while.
I'll be setting out early to mid April from Mt. Rogers to Buena vista

Matthikes
03-28-2014, 21:05
Hi, my name is Matt. I have been lurking around here for about a year. Just reading and learning as much as I can. I had a friend give me a bunch of decent gear last year and I have been buying things over the past year that I did not have or wanted to replace. The first part of next week I will receive the last of what I need and will be ready to go. Due to life's situation I am a section hiker. I live in Dahlonega, GA and have been on many day hike on the trail in GA but the time has come to start doing overnighters. My goal for the year is to hike the entire GA section. Thanks to everyone for the advice and tips.

tsgosnell
03-28-2014, 21:48
Hello, my name is Scott. Sounds like I'm in a similar to situation to Matt. Just getting back in to hiking and also planning a Georgia section hike. Been hiking a lot of 1 and 2 nighters here in N FL. Also planning a BMT hike in the fall. So much good info here!

HikerMom58
03-28-2014, 22:13
Welcome to Whiteblaze guys! Nice to have you here!

warld piece--- I lived in Lynchburg for a while as well. Nice place! Maybe we all can meet up sometime. Deer Hunter is :cool:

Deer Hunter
03-28-2014, 22:36
Thanks for the welcome,
I was born in Rockbridge, family from timber ridge and Fairfield. Grew up in Lynchburg.
Deer hunter if you came into Jim's True value the last 3-4 months before it closed/changed we probably met. I worked there for a short while.
I'll be setting out early to mid April from Mt. Rogers to Buena vista

I would say we have met then. :)

Deer Hunter
03-28-2014, 22:38
Welcome to Whiteblaze guys! Nice to have you here!

warld piece--- I lived in Lynchburg for a while as well. Nice place! Maybe we all can meet up sometime. Deer Hunter is :cool:

Maybe we can meet up with him when he passes by Daleville. Warld, let us know if you would want to do this.

HikerMom58
03-28-2014, 22:40
Maybe we can meet up with him when he passes by Daleville. Warld, let us know if you would want to do this.

Sounds like a plan! :)

Andy P
03-28-2014, 23:02
Hey y'all! My name is Andy and I'm from Marlboro, Ma. I've been preparing for a thru hike for a couple of years now and I'm in the process of dialing in my gear now. I will be well equipped and able to head sobo this summer, but I'm debating waiting until next spring and heading north instead. I'm not sure yet, but either way I can't wait to hit the trail. It's such a pleasure to be here and I've learned so much from all of you here at WhiteBlaze. Thank you.

HikerMom58
03-28-2014, 23:33
Nice to meet you Andy! :) My advice to you would be to head SOBO this summer. It's really crowded going NOBO every Spring.

There's a thread or two on here where the 2014 SOBO's unite... you should check it out. :) Again, nice to know you! Welcome!

sureaboutthis
03-29-2014, 00:06
My name's Jon. As a kid my dad took me camping and showed me some of the basics of wilderness survival, so I always enjoyed and appreciate the outdoors.

Three years ago a friend of a friend got off the AT (after being locked out at Katahdin - ouch) and was looking to sell his gear. He was destitute, so I bought his stuff and paid more than he asked for it. Knew I'd want it some day. Since then I've been doing research and hoping to do my own through-hike when I got out of college.

I decided to take a semester off and do it this year. I'm taking a bus from Texas to Maine in late May. I'm hoping to find someone to hike with or near for the sake of safety and (sometimes) company.

Just counting the days down until it's time to go. Super excited!

gof
03-29-2014, 00:47
Another Matt here. I am an older guy who is working on getting back into outdoor activities. I want to through hike the AT but probably cannot for a few more years...work and such...sigh.

Have a long road to go to get back in shape and overcome some health obstacles.

Reside in southwestern Ohio.

mcgrabo
03-29-2014, 05:56
Mornin' : Our son hiked the AT last year, 2013. My wife and I did not know much about the thru-hike, until he said he was going to do it. He called about 2 times while he was on the trail, so we started to try and follow his path and found this site, which was very helpful. The AT passes thru our town and meets up with the 'Long Trail' here in VT. I picked him up at Katahdin and enjoyed every minute of my short journey. Meet some good people at the camp ground. Well, all you hikers be well and enjoy the journey. Mike G. (Hoss)

Trail Otter
03-29-2014, 07:23
I'm Robert from Maine but now in Gainesville, Florida. My wife and I had been looking for a sporting activity that we can do together. I like marathons and running and triathlons. She doesn't. Almost 2 months ago we went trail hiking at San Felesco Park and had a really good time. We talked, like we always do, and I found out that she has always wanted to thru hike the AT. After the hike I ran the 8 miles home and she went to the library and scoffed up everything on hiking and the AT!

Karen, my wife, has walked daily since this first hike and we have hiked every weekend since! I've put my Ironman plans on hold (cuz thru-hiking the AT is also Bad A**!). We are planning a 2017 start.

warld piece
03-29-2014, 11:58
That sounds good, I was in daleville yesterday at Outdoor trails looking for the last few things I need and am not making myself. I'll let you know when I figure out the specifics more of timeline. I look forward to it.

HikerMom58
03-29-2014, 12:12
My name's Jon. As a kid my dad took me camping and showed me some of the basics of wilderness survival, so I always enjoyed and appreciate the outdoors.

Three years ago a friend of a friend got off the AT (after being locked out at Katahdin - ouch) and was looking to sell his gear. He was destitute, so I bought his stuff and paid more than he asked for it. Knew I'd want it some day. Since then I've been doing research and hoping to do my own through-hike when I got out of college.

I decided to take a semester off and do it this year. I'm taking a bus from Texas to Maine in late May. I'm hoping to find someone to hike with or near for the sake of safety and (sometimes) company.

Just counting the days down until it's time to go. Super excited!

AWESOME!! Cool story too sureaboutthis. Check out the SOBO threads on here too.

Welcome to WB! Check in with us while you are hiking.. have a great time!

Another Matt here. I am an older guy who is working on getting back into outdoor activities. I want to through hike the AT but probably cannot for a few more years...work and such...sigh.

Have a long road to go to get back in shape and overcome some health obstacles.

Reside in southwestern Ohio.

Welcome in Matt :)

Mornin' : Our son hiked the AT last year, 2013. My wife and I did not know much about the thru-hike, until he said he was going to do it. He called about 2 times while he was on the trail, so we started to try and follow his path and found this site, which was very helpful. The AT passes thru our town and meets up with the 'Long Trail' here in VT. I picked him up at Katahdin and enjoyed every minute of my short journey. Meet some good people at the camp ground. Well, all you hikers be well and enjoy the journey. Mike G. (Hoss)

Good Afternoon, Hoss! Nice to have you here. It's interesting how our kids can spark an interest in the AT. :) I love the state of VT!

I'm Robert from Maine but now in Gainesville, Florida. My wife and I had been looking for a sporting activity that we can do together. I like marathons and running and triathlons. She doesn't. Almost 2 months ago we went trail hiking at San Felesco Park and had a really good time. We talked, like we always do, and I found out that she has always wanted to thru hike the AT. After the hike I ran the 8 miles home and she went to the library and scoffed up everything on hiking and the AT!

Karen, my wife, has walked daily since this first hike and we have hiked every weekend since! I've put my Ironman plans on hold (cuz thru-hiking the AT is also Bad A**!). We are planning a 2017 start.

Hey Trail Otter aka Robert. Cool story! :) My name is Karen too. You have plenty of time to chill and hang out with us before you and Karen start your thru hike... WELCOME!

That sounds good, I was in daleville yesterday at Outdoor trails looking for the last few things I need and am not making myself. I'll let you know when I figure out the specifics more of timeline. I look forward to it.

Love that Outdoor Trails in Daleville, for sure! We'll hopefully see you sometime soon. Looking forward to it as well. :)

nymeria
03-29-2014, 15:29
Hello! My name is Heidi (I've taken the trail name 'nymeria' for Nerd reasons). I live in Lancaster County, PA now (just moved from NYC). I'm a former police officer (VA) and most recently a former crime analyst. I recently left my job (eek!) to hike the AT this year (leaving in two weeks). Been sitting for far too long and just looking for a great mental and physical challenge. Plus time to re-evaluate career stuff. The usual. I'm hoping to thru hike, but that all depends on how long my home people can handle my being gone. I've secured 3 months at minimum so I can at least finish a good section of it, if nothing else.

WB has been great for gathering the last little bits of helpful hints, gear advice etc and I'm grateful for it. I'm trying not to read too much though. The more I read, the more I end up second guessing some of my gear choices. I don't mind the unknown of figuring out the logistics of it all while I'm out there. I thrive on troubleshooting, so I'm looking forward to every bit of this journey. Of course, I say all this now, we'll see what happens when I get out there. :) Well anyway hello!

JumpMaster Blaster
03-29-2014, 16:48
Hello all. I've always had interest in the AT, but was just recently caougt "the fever" and want to get after as many sections as my career will allow me.

I'm active duty military, so I have had my fair share of rucking with cumbersome loads on a weighty, non-adjustable external frame pack, and I'm also a bit of a car camper/survivalist/prepper, so I always had things like water filters, dry bags, emergency rations etc on hand.

The first thing I learned about the differences between car camping and backpacking was that 80% of my issue gear, (although extremely durable and useful) is WAY to heavy to even consider using on a section hike. I ended up spending about $800 just to be comfortable for a 4-5 day section hike, but plan on going not-so-ultra-light in the next year.

My dream is to be financially stable and physically able once I retire (maybe sooner rather than later) to attempt a thru hike. if not, my interim plan is to section hike as many miles as possible. I haven't even set foot on the AT yet but I will by May-Jun, but I'm excited and raring to go, so thank you all in advance for any and every tidbit of info, advice, and knowledge you can pass on.

Yankytyke
03-29-2014, 19:24
Greetings,
I'm a day hiker located in Western Maryland just 6 miles from where the AT crosses I70. Much as I love hiking I love my bed more so section & through hiking are kinda not going to happen for me.
love the trial & as a photographer I love the wildlife that can be seen on the trip. A high point was when a black bear crossed the trail an dozen or so yards ahead of me close to High Rock. We took each other by suprise but I got a few photos once it went to higher ground to check me out.
Being a heavy guy I get a lot of strange looks from fellow hikers, as they puff & pant up a steep incline to see me sat there enjoying the view. But everyone o far has been very friendly. Only once was I not greeted & that was by a runner.
Looking forward to more hikes to the North & South of me in the coming months. And hope to see some of you out there. I'll be the fat guy looking very much out of place:)

HikerMom58
03-29-2014, 19:52
Welcome to Whiteblaze JumpMaster Blaster (cool name). Love what you shared with us! That will be an exciting day when you step foot on the AT for the first time! That's fun!! :>)

Yankytyke- Greetings and Salutations! Keep on hiking & enjoying your time in the woods! Welcome in! :)

Hey Heidi... didn't mean to overlook you. Thanks for introducing yourself! HELLOOOO!! :)

MDSection12
03-29-2014, 19:59
Greetings,
I'm a day hiker located in Western Maryland just 6 miles from where the AT crosses I70. Much as I love hiking I love my bed more so section & through hiking are kinda not going to happen for me.
love the trial & as a photographer I love the wildlife that can be seen on the trip. A high point was when a black bear crossed the trail an dozen or so yards ahead of me close to High Rock. We took each other by suprise but I got a few photos once it went to higher ground to check me out.
Being a heavy guy I get a lot of strange looks from fellow hikers, as they puff & pant up a steep incline to see me sat there enjoying the view. But everyone o far has been very friendly. Only once was I not greeted & that was by a runner.
Looking forward to more hikes to the North & South of me in the coming months. And hope to see some of you out there. I'll be the fat guy looking very much out of place:)
Greetings from just on the other side of the trail (Fredrock)! I may not always say hello but it has nothing to do with who I'm passing, sometimes I'm just focused on something and not paying attention... I'd imagine it happens to many of us, don't think it has anything to do with you. :)

lemon b
03-30-2014, 18:14
Well pretty sure I was in the same Army Division as MasterBlaster 73-76' Grew up in Ma. Dad grew up in the Pacos.
Found WhiteBlaze in June 2011. Found the AT in the late 60's. Support the AT. But am more of a Long Trail GMC person
Would not even venture a guess at how many bag nights or hiking miles. Have gone years when I even lost interest in hiking.
When I went from Springer to Front Royal in 78 my friends gave me the nick name Tunnel Rat. But usually just used my name.
The Lemon was coined by my oldest when he got wind of the trailname concept in maybe 2000. The only AT Thru hikers guide I have is dated 2001. I do get a data book every couple years. Switched to internal frame pack maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
Hiking like many thing has become very commercial. Gore-Tex to me was huge. One hiking pole was also a huge change for me. WA
I love the beauty of hiking and have always been the loner type. Mother nature has way with dealing with big egos.
Like to think I have a big heart.

JumpMaster Blaster
03-30-2014, 20:49
Welcome to Whiteblaze JumpMaster Blaster (cool name). Love what you shared with us! That will be an exciting day when you step foot on the AT for the first time! That's fun!! :>)

Hikermom, I may have left out a little tidbit about some of my on-duty escapades, which lends to my moniker. Something about jumping out of military aircraft and whatnot....anyway, I will be taking suggestions for a trail name pretty soon. I wanted to wait until the weather broke in NC or VA, but I may hop on a quick 2-3 day AT hike for Easter.

JumpMaster Blaster
03-30-2014, 21:04
Well pretty sure I was in the same Army Division as MasterBlaster 73-76' Grew up in Ma. Dad grew up in the Pacos.
Found WhiteBlaze in June 2011. Found the AT in the late 60's. Support the AT. But am more of a Long Trail GMC person
Would not even venture a guess at how many bag nights or hiking miles. Have gone years when I even lost interest in hiking.
When I went from Springer to Front Royal in 78 my friends gave me the nick name Tunnel Rat. But usually just used my name.
The Lemon was coined by my oldest when he got wind of the trailname concept in maybe 2000. The only AT Thru hikers guide I have is dated 2001. I do get a data book every couple years. Switched to internal frame pack maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
Hiking like many thing has become very commercial. Gore-Tex to me was huge. One hiking pole was also a huge change for me. WA
I love the beauty of hiking and have always been the loner type. Mother nature has way with dealing with big egos.
Like to think I have a big heart.
Welcome! I spent 5 years in that Division. Managed to get assigned to every major unit here since not many IT folks want to parachute from planes, lol!

Deer Hunter
04-15-2014, 22:21
^^^^^^^^^^^

warld piece
04-16-2014, 08:45
Hikermom58 and Deer hunter,
I should be starting Saturday April 19th from Mt. Rogers area in Grayson highlands park. I did a 13 mile day with pack a few days ago and was fine hiking but sore later. So I'm not making any specific plan just going to go day by day and see how I feel. Let me know how to get in touch with you, I don't carry a phone and I dropped out of technology after Atari and Nintendo. I'm sure I can borrow a phone on the trail to let you know when I'm getting close to Daleville.

HikerMom58
04-16-2014, 08:56
Hikermom58 and Deer hunter,
I should be starting Saturday April 19th from Mt. Rogers area in Grayson highlands park. I did a 13 mile day with pack a few days ago and was fine hiking but sore later. So I'm not making any specific plan just going to go day by day and see how I feel. Let me know how to get in touch with you, I don't carry a phone and I dropped out of technology after Atari and Nintendo. I'm sure I can borrow a phone on the trail to let you know when I'm getting close to Daleville.

Okay warld piece, I'll PM you my cell #... I'm not going to be around here the last few weeks in May. I'll be hiking! :D

Happy Hiking!

bighammer
04-16-2014, 11:22
Hi all, I'm a new member in Traverse City, Michigan. I'm looking forward to seeing at least part of the AT for the first time) this May/June. I've always been more of a bicycle tourist, but trying out backpacking with my nearly 16 year old son. We love hiking and camping, this will just be an extended combination of the 2 for once. We'll see.

Gambit McCrae
04-16-2014, 11:46
Im maps. From TN, section hiker ona 7 year plan. since october I have hiked 175 miles of the AT, but have hiked 1300 miles in the past 4-5 years on section/ weekend trips. I have completed TN, and MD and am working towards completing the nc/tn border section, nc section and the rest of the smokies this year. as well as using my vacation to hike GA in the fall. So hopefully after 2014 I will have completed the first 500 miles of the trail which for a weekender I feel is pretty quick timing. Now that I think about it i think i will start a thread in general on this subject of sectioning the trail. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?103275-Section-Hiking-The-AT-General-Thoughts&p=1871152#post1871152)

RedBeerd
04-16-2014, 12:05
I'm redbeerd. My beard is red. I like to play in the woods and I'm a gearaholic.

Shipfixer
04-16-2014, 18:37
Hi All, Shipfixer here. Been section hiking for a little or a year now. wish I could get out more often. Finished New Jersey last year and I'm working on "Rocksylvannia" this year. Hope to thru someday.... never say never!
Great website, constantly learning, appreciate all your help.

Francis Sawyer
04-17-2014, 12:13
I'm Francis Sawyer. I am counting down to my thru-hike. 7 yrs 7 months left. I didn't do the hike when I was young and had the time so now I have to wait till I retire. I've been lurking for about a year and decided to join !

DatFLhiker
04-17-2014, 16:30
Hi Y'all im from miami and have recently discovered hiking ,my goals for this year are to hike the AT virginia sections both in August then later in December .Ive been doing alot of day hikes here in florida and plan on doing alot of overnighters/weekend hikes. glad i discovered hiking its nice to get off the grid every once in a while

Shakespeare 1990
05-10-2014, 21:10
I've hiked most of the AT in sections, missing the parts in PA, NJ, NY. Did the southernmost 600 miles in Spring of '90, and that's when I was given my trail name. If I can save up the cash, I want to try for a NoBo through hike in 2016 or 2017. For now, it's just day hikes in the North Cascades.

Shakes

Surfbumdj
05-11-2014, 11:16
Hi!

I am 38, and have recently found an interest in backpacking. I was in scouts when I was a kid (star was the highest rank I achieved) and since have done a fair amount outdoors - but that slowed down some when I started having kids. They're 15, 11 and 10 now.

We we have always liked camping and recently started hunting some. Truth be told, my interest in backpacking came down a path that seems a bit quirky to be, but nonetheless here I am. A friend of mine told me about his "bug out bag", so I did my research. It was interesting and all, but I thought to myself "how can I come up with a practical application of all of this and teach my kids to be safe in the wild?" Well, it didn't take me long to find an interest in the AT.

So I decided that our summer vacation this year will be a few days on the trail and some time in towns surrounding learning about the area and history.

I have decided to hike Newfound gap to Davenport gap, with a detour to Clingman's Dome the first day. (Unless of course someone has a better suggestion?) we will either spend time in Gatlinburg or Asheville after we hike.

I began buying equipment piece by piece but haven't gotten far (thankfully). I bought a couple of cheap packs off of eBay and a couple of sleeping bags and a tent. As a father of 3 there is no chance that I can afford all the best equipment right off the bat, so I am hoping to upgrade as time goes on.

Basically, I am a complete newbie zero experience taking my kids on a 35 mile hike.... Wow, now that I say it that way it seems a bit crazy lol

I feel confident that I can prepare myself properly and be fine - which is what brings me here.

I am am hoping to find the guidance here that I seek so that when we take to the trail we will have a good time and come out of it better than we went in.

All of that being said, there are some points of preparedness that I am looking to learn more about.

Temperature/clothing for a July or august hike in the northern smokies
how much food to take
what pieces of equipment I should skimp least on
am I crazy to even try this

a few links to pertinent articles is what I am looking for because I am sure these points have been addressed before somewhere but I can't seem to find them yet

lastly, I have been a part of forums before and realize that I don't yet have much to contribute. I promise to leave the forum Better than I found it by taking part in conversation as I learn and grow as a hiker. But I do apologize having to come here and be a taker of information initially. It won't stay that way :) promise.

Thanks for for reading and most importantly, thank you for your patience!

Derek

sccamper
05-12-2014, 22:19
Hey everyone. I've been backpacking for years, mostly 2 and 3 day weekends with a couple week long trips over the years. I logged some AT miles in PA and MD when I was in high school, moved to SC after school. I have a lot of trail options within an hour from home so that works good for weekend trips. Takes 2-3 hours to get to the AT in GA and NC. Over the last few years, my interest has been all AT, cant get it out of my head. I've done everything up to Stecoah Gap so far, hope to be past the Smokies this year. After that, it will likely be catching some of the more popular sections and not worry about every step of the trail in between(for now). I get on Whiteblaze every once in a while to read and do research, finally decided to register and say hello.

almostfaded
05-21-2014, 17:53
Howdy, y'all. I'm new to the backpacking world, but I love day hiking and being in the woods. I'm mostly a lurker because I don't have anything meaningful to add to the conversation (yet.) I'm planning a thru hike for 2015 and reading up on everything I can to better prepare myself for that long walk/climb/crawl/slide/y'all get the gist.

WaxQueen
05-23-2014, 12:18
Hello!!!

I'm new to long distance hiking but super excited to hike the AT(hopefully a thru or halfway hike in 2015)! I love challenges, natural living and the great outdoors!! For now I'm just obsessing and gauging how I'd need to prepare for this hike!
Otherwise I'm an NVC(Nonviolent Communication) enthusiast, a sister to many, a dreamer, a little poetic, a little crafty and sometimes a little confused.. :rolleyes:
Can't wait to get to know people!!! :sun

Teacher & Snacktime
05-23-2014, 16:35
For all the recent Newbies or New-to-posting-bies: HikerMom has requested that in her absence I forward the welcomes, so you'll have to deal with my less-friendly greeting for now, and she'll likely catch up with each of you in the future. So here goes:

bighammer, Gambit McCrea, Red Beerd, Shipfixer, Francis Sawyer, DatFLhiker, Shakespeare 1990. Surfbumdj, scamper, almostfaded and WaxQueen:

Welcome to WhiteBlaze and we hope to see you posting and having fun soon. There are lots of friends to be made here and loads of information to glean. We hope it proves and rewarding and enjoyable as it has for us! Again, welcome! ....and HikerMom sends her best :)

WaxQueen
05-28-2014, 23:54
Thanks!!! :) I'm definitely a newbie to long distance hiking, but learning soooo much already!! Glad to be here! :)

Rolls Kanardly
06-05-2014, 12:15
Hey HikerMom58, time for an update

218 Whiteblazer's have posted on this thread as of 6/5/14. Trail names starting with "S" are the most frequent with 30 names. U, V, X, and Y sneaked in with 1 each. There are no trail names starting with Q and Z. Wow Q and Z must be pretty bad.

And yes I am really bored today. hee hee hee Rolls

12TH Man, 2 Trail Hikers,2014flipper, 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker, 2ndCharter, 2NewKnees, 4shot, 58starter,88BlueGT, Abatis1948, adamjunzler, aficion, AkaMirage, Almost There,almostfaded, Andy P, AngelEyez, Angle, Astro, ATHopeful2018, bamboobob, beaud,Berserker, bighammer, Blacksmith, BrainLe, briangreunke, BuckeyeBill,burningrabbit, Buzzy84, Calebj, capehiker, Carlz993, Carryon, ChinMusic,ChristieBelle, Cookerhiker, Corajb, crispy2104, Cro-Mag, Daicy, daimonpaul,darkbyrd, DatFLhiker, DatWolf, Dawkins Leffel, DeerHunter, DevinHarvey,Dinendir, DinMecca, Docmahns, drifter, Drybones, DugK, EnglishStu, erieite,Ewok11, FelilxS13, Feral Bill, fins1838, Fishone, FooFighter'12, Foresight,Francis Sawyer, Furlough, futureatwalker, Gambit McCrae, geomaniac,gETSoutothewild, GirlfromoZ, gof, Goji, Grampie, GreyGhost, grumps, Gus9890,Gwilli, handlebar, Hang R, HarderthanNails, he.who.forgets, Heeler59,hikerboy57, HikerMom58, homelesswook, Honuben, illabelle, importman77,imscotty, ITri, Jagger, jfarrell04, jimmyjam, johnnybgood, Julio, JumpMasterBlaster, K_Squared, kayakkarl, Kc Fiedler, Ken.davidson, Kerosenehat, Kerrkid,Kevin B, Kitfox man, Kolo, Koozy, ladytrekker, lemon b, likeahike, LittleRock,Lucy Lulu, macdaddy, Mags, ManyMoons, marylandmymaryland, Matthew82, Matthikes,McFly, mcgrabo, mdschill, MDSection12, Meriadox, Merrell, Miked, mikeunger,minda, Mockingjay, MoonstruckRed, Murphy7, NCn8chrgrrl, nitewalker, Noneyet,norts, nymeria, Nyte, Oak88, OCDave, Odd Man Out, Okie Dokie, OldEagle, PapaD, ParkieMan, PChang, PhoenixFirebird, prain4u, Prime Time, psyenz, psyon27, rangeley,RedBeerd , Renfeild, RinoaPops, RN-PCT2015, Robin2013AT, RockDoc, RollsKanardly, Roughthis, Sacchoromyces, Sanna, Sarcasmtheelf, sasquatchinlaw,SawnieRobertson, sccamper, SCShooter1983, Seatbelt, Shakespeare 1990, shelb,Shipfixer, Shutterbug, Sierra2015, skinnbones, SkraM, slbirdnerd, smithjv, SnailRacer, soul patch, sparkygeek, Spatchka, Spirit Bear, squeezebox, StovieWander,Stronger, Studlintsean, stupid adage, SubieLove, Sugarfoot, sureaboutthis,Surfbumdj, tawa., Teacher & Snacktime, Tharwood, TheRob, Tinker, TLHiker,Toon, Traffic Jam, Trail Otter, Trainguy, Trebor66, Treehuggerva, tsgosnell,Tuckahoe64, ugggggggh, ValleyGirl, Waitin4mytrlname, warld piece, Waterbuffalo,WaxQueen, wcgornto, whiskeystick, whisperwalking, WildBlue, windels11,wookinpanub, wrenagain, wtrenda, xokie, Yankytyke

soul patch
06-05-2014, 13:26
hello White Blaze, I am Soul Patch, my name covers the reason why i hike,its just good for the soul, and i also have that distinctive patch of hair under my bottom lip. lol. and i am grateful for all of the info on this site and the way the moderators keep it moving in a positive direction, Thank you.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-06-2014, 04:51
Welcome Soul Patch.....hope you have loads of fun both here and of course on the trail!

FL Grandma
06-13-2014, 19:26
Good idea! I am a 64 yr old retired teacher, living in FL. Not the best location for backpacking training... So far I have completed the AT section from Damascus to Troutdale, Harper's Ferry to the Mason-Dixon line ( with my daughter-in-law), and in September will be doing Rockfish to Front Royal. My dream is to complete the entire AT, if not as a thru-hike, one section at a time. I will probably be 85 when I finish at this rate...! I have also done a number of trips in the Grand Canyon, including rim to rim last November, with my older sister.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-13-2014, 19:58
From one Grandma to another....impressive & keep up the good "hike" :)

akrewson
06-14-2014, 02:37
Hello, White Blaze. I'm a hiker's mom. I spent a night on Springer Mountain on May 2, rather unintentionally, and I visited the trail in North Carolina or Tennessee three times in May - Newfound Gap, Sam's Gap and near Shady Valley.
Hiker child is 24, in southern Virginia now, and I'm responsible for mail drops. Thanks so much for all the information here.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-14-2014, 12:57
Enjoy watching your hiker's progress, akrewson. Maybe join for a mile or 2 yourself? If you're near Roanoke, contact HikerMom. I'm sure she'd love to meet up with another supportive mom.

akrewson
06-14-2014, 16:10
Maybe join for a mile or 2 yourself? If you're near Roanoke, contact HikerMom.

I should do that! Reading things here gives me a little more confidence in that possibility.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-14-2014, 17:11
At the very least try to join him/her for the trip up to McAfee Knob. It's an icon of the trail, not a difficult hike (take the fire road) and you'll feel very accomplished. HikerMom can lead you to the trail.

akrewson
06-14-2014, 19:25
I just looked at McAfee!
Sounds doable, plus a trip into town to a restaurant:
http://www.roanokeoutside.com/mcafee-knob-trail
Just need to update at least shoes, quickly.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-14-2014, 19:28
Nah....this hike can be done in sneakers. And the restaurant, The Home Place, is an attraction in itself!

petuni
06-16-2014, 10:04
Hi Whiteblaze, I'm tuni and been a lurker for a while. I am originally from Nova Scotia but living in New Brunswick Canada now. I hiked a lot when younger but took about 15 years off only to rediscover it 6-7 years ago. Last September, I sectioned from the Approach Trail at Springer to Winding Stair Gap NC and this September I am thinking of Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs. I would love to do a thru but can not get the time off required, hopefully that will be my retirement dream. Whiteblaze has really been helpful to me so thank you all!

lemon b
06-16-2014, 10:56
Akrewson. The home support person is extremely important to a Long Distance Hiker, Mail drops etc, knowing what to send and where. All kinds of taking care of stuff so one can continue their hike. Bet someone like Baltimore Jack could almost write a book on that subject. I know the role has changed over the years. But in 78 my sister was sometimes like a god send. That was the pre cell phone time. She knew the trail and knew me.

jayw288
06-23-2014, 09:53
Hello everybody. My name is Squirrel (or Samuel to most people). I grew up in California just west of Sequoia National Park so I was up there a lot as a kid. Dad loves the outdoors and raised my brothers and I to love it as well. I moved to NC about five years ago and just love it here (although nothing beats the Sierras). Been looking into doing some sections on the AT and finally have a planned hike in August. Look forward to meeting some awesome people here and on the trail.

Deer Hunter
06-23-2014, 10:10
Hi Whiteblaze, I'm tuni and been a lurker for a while. I am originally from Nova Scotia but living in New Brunswick Canada now. I hiked a lot when younger but took about 15 years off only to rediscover it 6-7 years ago. Last September, I sectioned from the Approach Trail at Springer to Winding Stair Gap NC and this September I am thinking of Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs. I would love to do a thru but can not get the time off required, hopefully that will be my retirement dream. Whiteblaze has really been helpful to me so thank you all!

Welcome petuni. I have wanted to visit Nova Scotia for a long time. Maybe soon.

Deer Hunter
06-23-2014, 10:12
Hello everybody. My name is Squirrel (or Samuel to most people). I grew up in California just west of Sequoia National Park so I was up there a lot as a kid. Dad loves the outdoors and raised my brothers and I to love it as well. I moved to NC about five years ago and just love it here (although nothing beats the Sierras). Been looking into doing some sections on the AT and finally have a planned hike in August. Look forward to meeting some awesome people here and on the trail.

Welcome jayw. I visited Sequoia National Park a little over 10 yeras ago. Nice place.

dangerdave
06-23-2014, 10:19
Oops! Started posting elsewhere before introducing myself...

Hi, fellow hikers! I'm Danger (or DangerDave, if you like). I'm a fifty year old, soon-to-be retired firefighter from southern Ohio (about an hour from where Grandma Gatewood lived). I was born and fight fires in Chillicothe, Ohio, but I was raised in West Virginia. In my youth, my friends and I would pack up every weekend, and drive to WV for camping and whitewater kayaking. It's safe to say I've paddled nearly every river and creek that will hold a kayak in the ole Wild and Wonderful State. Thus, I learned a great appreciation for the outdoors over the years. Also hiked (no backpacking), biked, and kayaked all over the Appalachian Range, but always seemed to cross the AT instead of hike it. Now comes my chance.

Since my wonderful wife became disabled five years ago, I haven't gotten out nearly as much, as she depends on my a lot. I can feel myself slowly getting "soft". This hike will change that, no doubt. I plan no training, aside from testing my pack weight on day hikes, and will let the AT temper me along the way. I look forward to the pain, the challenge, and the evolution that will occur on this walk. I will be taking my time, enjoying the moment, and hopefully meeting many like-minded individuals en route.

Just look for Danger! He's always around! :)

Smilie
06-23-2014, 14:55
Hi all, I'm Smili got my trailname from Sunrise and Sunshine who Lemon and I ran across while they were thru hiking. So far just a few shake down hikes with Lemon.
We'll be out and about in New England. Hopefully I can get Lemon to do some of Va. with me this year. So far am enjoying the trail which we are not very far from and cross while driving almost everyday. In Dalton, Washington, Hinsdale,and Becket, Ma.

AfghanVet
06-23-2014, 15:05
Well, I'll get in on this. I'm Richard, from Cumming, GA. I was retired by the US Army due to injuries received in an IED strike that I was sitting on top of in March of 2010. I'm fairly new to hiking but I've done a day trip here and there around Springer. I'm currently signed up for a Sierra-Nevada, 5-day hike in September and a thru-hike with Warrior Hike in March of 2015. I have a beautiful wife and 3 amazing kids, a 9 year old daughter, 7 year old son and a 3 month old son.

rocketsocks
06-23-2014, 15:08
:welcome always good to have new blood in the mix to bounce around ideas or share your comings and goings...er just kick back and read and research.

AO2134
06-25-2014, 22:06
Hi! Just joined a little this week. Nice to meet you all. My name is John. I am 28 year old attorney in Gwinnett Georgia. I am fairly new to solo hiking. I had a good friend who would take me hiking and he was very knowledgeable so I just blindly followed him. We hiked a lot in the highlands/Cashews area of NC. I also hiked Glacier National Park for 4 days with him and some other friends. Unfortunately, he moved away to grad school. Gone was the only person who liked hiking and actually knew what he was doing.

If I had to describe myself as a hiker, I would say that I enjoy the hike as much as I enjoy the summit. I don't hike for the summit. I hike to hike. The hike alone is reason enough. However, if i get to a nice view, I do take time to soak in.

Recently, I started to solo day hike and that is when I discovered day hiking the AT. It was reasonably close and easy to access. I started with hiking blood mountain (summit and out). As I continued to do research, I quickly learned about loop trails (i.e., blood mountain loop trail and springer mountain loop trail). With this discovery, my hikes started to get longer and more enjoyable. I've done those loop trails more times than I can count.

In May, I did my previous longest single day hike ~20 miles. I did blood Mountain loop trail, nearby DeSoto Falls, Brasstown bald Mountain, and Arkaqua trail (point and back).

In early June I did my longest day hike to date. ~ 30 miles. Amicalola to Springer via approach, Springer to Three Forks via BMT, Three Forks to Long Creek Falls via AT, Long Creek Falls back to Amicalola Falls via AT, AT approach, and Hike In Trail. This hike ruined me. My feet hurt for about 2 weeks before they were back to normal. As a day hiker, I never bought proper gear. After that last hike, I started to look into buying proper hiking gear.

Needless to say, this has become an obsession with me.

I also started to really consider section hiking and overnight hiking. I have never done a overnight hike alone. Over labor day weekend I have a dream of section hiking Springer to NC border. If anyone is interested in joining, please let me know. Especially if you have thru or section hiked in the past. Any help, advice would be welcomed. I also plan to day hike several portion of the AT, for example: Springer To Woody; Woody to Neels gap; Neels Gap to Unicoi; and Duncan Ridge Trail.

Anyways, that is my story of how I got here and who I am. It is nice to meet you. I look forward to hopefully getting to know some of you.

akrewson
06-27-2014, 14:22
Thanks, lemon b.
Just did 10 miles!!!! with kid from Wood's Hole to Pearisburg. My unprepared legs were rubber by the end, but loved Wood's Hole and I'm helping with some logistics nearby for a couple of days. Never would have had that adventure without the Kid's prompting. And yes, I'm hearing about some trail angels who help lots along the way.
Whether the kid just goes as far as she can this season, which might not be Katahdin, it's been a great experience.

Deer Hunter
06-27-2014, 15:53
Thanks, lemon b.
Just did 10 miles!!!! with kid from Wood's Hole to Pearisburg. My unprepared legs were rubber by the end, but loved Wood's Hole and I'm helping with some logistics nearby for a couple of days. Never would have had that adventure without the Kid's prompting. And yes, I'm hearing about some trail angels who help lots along the way.
Whether the kid just goes as far as she can this season, which might not be Katahdin, it's been a great experience.

I live close to the trail. I would be glad to help her/you out in any way that I can. I can pm you my number and you can pass it on to her if you want to. Glad you got to join her for some hiking.

Root66
06-28-2014, 13:27
Hi, Root66 here and my wife Mickey. I am 66 and she is 47. We are campers and stayed in the Smokey's last year. We hiked up from the parking lot to Charlie's Bunion and back....the bug has hit us. We plan to hike our first section of the AT from Springer to North Carolina next summer probably in August.

We are gathering gear and hiking with 20 pounds packs around our neighborhood and training the rest of this summer. We will be hiking parts the Superior Hiking and Kekebabic Trails, part of the North Country Trail, this August. Also looking at parts of the Ice Age Trail in September and possibly some of the Ozark Trail in October.

But our main goal is to section hike the AT as many years as we can. I would be in my 80's if we did the entire trail. Thanks for the great information, experiences and advice from everyone here!

Root66 & Mickey

akrewson
06-28-2014, 13:59
Thanks, Deer Hunter. Sure, emergency numbers are always good. There's a loose group behind the big bubble still coming through your part of the world.

Deer Hunter
06-28-2014, 17:24
Thanks, Deer Hunter. Sure, emergency numbers are always good. There's a loose group behind the big bubble still coming through your part of the world.

Yes, the number of hikers coming through here has slowed down. There were a pretty decent number in SNP last Friday.

linus72
07-01-2014, 10:20
I am Linus72, trailname Linus. I hiked the northern half of the AT in Connecticut where I'm from as a Boy Scout, many moons ago. I also did the Presidentials, Cannon and Lafayette while at summer camp in New Hampshire as a teen. That is where my love for the trails was born. I lost touch of it for a while save for an occasional overnight in college, again on the CT AT or the local nature preserve trails with my kids when they were young. About a year ago I decided to do a meetup and try some of the Mattabesset Trail to get some excercise and nature. Everything changed. All of that love for the hiking and trails came flooding back. My home state has over 800 miles of trails maintained by the Forest and Park association in addition to the 52 miles of AT through the state. The Mattabesset and Metacomet make up part of the New England Scenic Trail and there's probably 50 other trails in their amazing walk books which I try to explore weekly when possible. Beautiful trap rock ridges line the mtns in the center of the state and have given me new appreciation for the beauty of my home state. Since that first hike last year, I logged an additional 45 miles including about 10 of the New York and CT AT, more Blue blazed CFPA trails, Ward Pound ridge in NY (on my quest to check out as many Leatherman caves as I can) and Monument Mtn in Massachussetts. This year I'm already far past that and am working my way backpacking through the entire CT AT with my wife, and then on to other states. We've been meeting some great thru-hikers and ATC trail runners and learning a lot from them as well. Sometimes I feel more at home on the trail than I do in the civilized world! Nice to meet everyone. See you on the trails.

mirken
07-24-2014, 09:22
Hi HikerMom. I'm new to this site. I haven't done any serious walking in over 10 years but I've been getting back into it slowly over the last month or so. This site has been fantastic at offering tips on fitness etc. I live in Ireland but have relatives in the States who hike... They asked me to join them for the vermont section of AT this summer.... Unfortunately I can't make it as I'll be hiking in Ireland for 3 weekends, England for 1 week and Spain for another week in December... I sure would love to do some of the AT at some stage in my life as it looks and sounds wonderful... If any of you want any ideas if you're planning hiking in Ireland just contact me and I'll find out what I can for you :) Hoping to make some fellow walker friends who understand the spirit of adventure :)

Teacher & Snacktime
07-24-2014, 17:45
Hello Root66, Linus72 and Mirken,

Welcome everybody to WhiteBlaze. HikerMom has left the site, but it's nice for the rest of us to learn about the new folk reading and posting here! We hope all your AT and WB adventures are fun ones.

MJGreen
07-26-2014, 17:41
I'm M. J. Green. I don't have a trail name yet but most people end up calling my Mr. Green or Matty Cakes. I've always loved being close to nature and fining peace in solitude. I've been collecting gear and saving money for a while now and I plan on leaving my job in 2015 or 2016 depending on future circumstance. I'll be traveling with a Gregory Contour 60 and a MSR Nook (might have a companion and if not, I like the extra space). Training up right now in the beautiful Arkansas wilderness. I have famly in Tenn/GA to stay with and transport me to Springer and then my adventure begins. I'm leaving my job as a microbiologist to live the life that I've always dreamed of. After the AT, I might decide to yo-yo or I might take a train to the West Coast for the winter. Then, I plan on hiking the PCT before heading to Hawaii to see some spiritual brethren and take a few weeks to rest. My goal is to see as much as this world has to offer as I can. I'm also a seeker of strength and peace and hope to fulfill my maximum potential in this life. I look forward to meeting those whose destiny crosses paths with mine.

Green, M. J.

Vibes Man
07-26-2014, 18:51
There's a lot of new user names popping up on Whiteblaze lately. It's nice to know who's who and :welcome newbies (and lurkers) to the site.

I'll start- I'm HikerMom. I've been an active member for a little over a year. I like meeting new people. I have many friends on this site. I hope to make many more.

I live near the trail crossing in Daleville VA.

I've never added up the miles I have hiked on the AT but I'm guessing I've sectioned about 300-400 miles so far. My first backpacking trip was about 125 miles.

I can't wait to get back to my old stomping grounds in New Hampshire. I'm hiking with my daughter, who has done over half the trail. This spring we will finish up PA. Looking ahead.. she's already done CT and all but 4 miles of MA. I looking forward to the Whites with her and a friend. :>)

I hope everyone feels comfortable here & feels welcome... so introduce yourself. :sun

Thanks for the welcome. I got it in me to start hiking the AT a few months ago. My plan is to do section hikes for the next eight years, when I plan on retiring. Then, I would like to do a thru-hike. Tomorrow morning, I will begin my first hike, 100 miles from Pen Mar to the Shenandoah National Park.

Peace!

Woody213
07-26-2014, 20:31
They call me Woody. Its not dirty, my boss thought I looked like Woody from toy story. I was in Boy Scouts. I backpacked regularly for a few years after and am looking at getting back into it. Want to plan an AT thru hike for when my best bro gets out of the navy.

Deer Hunter
07-26-2014, 22:22
Welcome Woody, Vibes Man and MJGreen!

RabbitHole
07-29-2014, 21:27
Hello world! I'm generally a lurker just trying to absorb as much thru hiker knowledge as I can. I'm 25 and going to attempt a through in 16 or 17. Been just obsessively reading whatever books and online info I can get my hands on also been steadily upgrading gear. I fell in love with hiking when I hiked the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail and it's 70 miles of awesomeness in central PA about 15 years ago. I highly recommend looking into it. I live in Northern Virginia now and have been hiking stuff in SNP and the AT when ever I can. Please anyone who wants to to hike with me in the local area please message me. I think this winter I'm
Going to muster up the courage to post my gear on here and have some of you seasoned veterans give me a shakedown. So far though I'm pretty happy with what I've selected. Maybe a few luxury items too many though :). Anywho this is a great community and if anyone has questions or lives in my neck of the woods send me a PM.

-Rabbit Hole

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 22:23
Hello world! I'm generally a lurker just trying to absorb as much thru hiker knowledge as I can. I'm 25 and going to attempt a through in 16 or 17. Been just obsessively reading whatever books and online info I can get my hands on also been steadily upgrading gear. I fell in love with hiking when I hiked the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail and it's 70 miles of awesomeness in central PA about 15 years ago. I highly recommend looking into it. I live in Northern Virginia now and have been hiking stuff in SNP and the AT when ever I can. Please anyone who wants to to hike with me in the local area please message me. I think this winter I'm
Going to muster up the courage to post my gear on here and have some of you seasoned veterans give me a shakedown. So far though I'm pretty happy with what I've selected. Maybe a few luxury items too many though :). Anywho this is a great community and if anyone has questions or lives in my neck of the woods send me a PM.

-Rabbit Hole:welcome Rabbit hole. yup, post that gear list and whatever else. Glad to hear your gettin' back into it.

Traveler
07-30-2014, 05:56
Just seeing this and thought I would chime in. Trail name is Traveler, here AT Traveler. I live in Litchfield CT, am 60 years old, and routinely am out doing something silly like walking up and down steep rutted trails in snow, ice, mud, water, and every once in a while, dry conditions. I've not done a through hike, but have done several sections and most of New England at this point since 1970 when I was introduced to the AT. Hello to all!

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 07:09
Just seeing this and thought I would chime in. Trail name is Traveler, here AT Traveler. I live in Litchfield CT, am 60 years old, and routinely am out doing something silly like walking up and down steep rutted trails in snow, ice, mud, water, and every once in a while, dry conditions. I've not done a through hike, but have done several sections and most of New England at this point since 1970 when I was introduced to the AT. Hello to all!:welcome Traveler.

Vas
07-31-2014, 00:09
Hey all, I'm new to the forum. Ive hiked portions of the AT before on week long spurts but nothing too serious. Starting to look into planning a thru hike in the next few years and figured this was the place to come!

Deer Hunter
07-31-2014, 09:08
Hey all, I'm new to the forum. Ive hiked portions of the AT before on week long spurts but nothing too serious. Starting to look into planning a thru hike in the next few years and figured this was the place to come!

Welcome Vas. Lots of good information here.

weirdwayne
07-31-2014, 21:29
Howdy ! I'm Wayne, I'm 55, and just started back hiking after many years. I'm an old school Colin Fletcher kind of walker, so I have a lot to learn about all the new light gear, and stuff. Looking forward to the journey !

Roanmtnman
07-31-2014, 21:35
Hey Im Brian 43 years old. Was in the woods a lot when I was younger but just recently rediscovered the joy of it though trail hiking. Loving this site so far cant wait to hit the trails!

Sclark9082
08-25-2014, 07:42
Hello everyone, I'm Steve. Been on site for awhile, only made a few posts. But have been gleaning some excellent advice from all the wonderful people that take the time to share what they have personally experienced. For the past two years I have been setting aside the funds so that I can start my AT thru-hike. Have been dreaming of this for 30 plus years. (family, work, etc.) well...now is the time and I still have my health and ability. I start on March 1, 2015 North bound from Springer. And I must say the excitement grows by the day....nice to meet everyone. HELLO FROM North Virginia

Deer Hunter
08-25-2014, 08:49
Welcome Brian, Wayne and Steve. Glad to have ya here. :)

jjozgrunt
08-25-2014, 09:11
G'day all, I'm Jim or Moose, and I'm mainly here to get all the facts and pointers about the AT before I walk it in 2015. By and large found everyone very friendly and open with their info although some are very excitable. I've been bushwalking, it seems for ever, and spent 17 years in the Military, Infantry. Just had a wonderful read through the post on shelter etiquette 12 pages and counting, and had to leave my take on all that info with my usual aussie humor. I a happy go lucky guy with no real hangups, love a joke especially if I'm not the butt of it and can't wait to get there and start. Kicking off on 13 Mar 2015 NOBO.

kampingexpert
09-06-2014, 02:35
Hi, my name is Jeremy. I have been an on and off hikers for years and am now getting really serious about it. I have been doing a lot of the local trails here in the Smoky Mountains. I love taking pictures and documenting my hikes. I also have a website called KampingExpert (http://www.kampingexpert.com) where I talk about backpacking gear and some of the local trails here in the Smokies. I hope everyone is having a great day. Happy hiking.

Charliev
09-09-2014, 20:46
Hello from Georgia. Fairly new to backpacking, have been getting gear and my self ready for the Ga loop at the end of Oct. Learning a lot from here. Thanks everyone.

gidgetgirl
09-16-2014, 08:42
Hello!! My name is Nic and I am from Texas. This spring will be my first time on the AT, and I am planning on doing a 6 week section starting in Roanoke/Daleville in April, tentatively. I've never been anywhere near the AT but I did 500 miles on the PCT last year and had a great experience. This forum is a great place, thanks to everyone who keeps it alive!! Nice to meet y'all!

hooshr
09-16-2014, 09:56
Hello, my name is Jim. I moved to Roanoke VA area several years ago from the flat midwest. This spured an interest in hiking and with easy acces to the AT I have taken full advantage. It helps that I see McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliff each day from my deck, i.e., love the view. I am planning a 2017 thru hike after I reach certain age and pension numbers and while I am physically able. I am a frequent reader of forum posts and find the information sharing very helpful. Thanks for all the posts and this great forum. Hope to see you on the AT

Deer Hunter
09-16-2014, 10:46
Hello!! My name is Nic and I am from Texas. This spring will be my first time on the AT, and I am planning on doing a 6 week section starting in Roanoke/Daleville in April, tentatively. I've never been anywhere near the AT but I did 500 miles on the PCT last year and had a great experience. This forum is a great place, thanks to everyone who keeps it alive!! Nice to meet y'all!

Welcome Nic! You will be in my area especially if your going northbound out of Daleville. Pm me if you need any area info or help. :)

gidgetgirl
09-16-2014, 13:58
Welcome Nic! You will be in my area especially if your going northbound out of Daleville. Pm me if you need any area info or help. :)

Thanks Deer Hunter! I am currently trying to work out resupply issues around your neck of the woods, so I'm sure I will be contacting you for advice soon. Thanks again!

Bigfoot86
09-17-2014, 11:11
Hi I'm Bigfoot ive lurked for a year or so but joined recently. I plan on thru-hiking nobo in 2017. My foot size is 15.5 so ya im a Bigfoot. Ive hiked the at a whole lot just near northern va and wva and i live near front royal, va.

Ray C
09-17-2014, 13:08
Hi to all, I'm Ray C.
I have been around for a few mounts and joined on 8/27/2014. I am a avid hiker and am about to retire from my job of almost 35 years with the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (Sate Parks). Did a lot of hiking as a kid and for the last 6 yeas have hiked a lot in my hobby of Geocaching.
I have been thinking about the AT for a long time and now is the time for a "Thru" hike. Planning on a March 2015 start. still working on my gear.

Thanks to all for the great forum here.

rocketsocks
09-17-2014, 18:09
:welcomeBig Foot and Ray C, Happy hiking.

SmokytheBritt
09-20-2014, 10:49
Hi everyone!

I'm Brittany (or Smoky on the trail). I completed my NoBo thru hike in 2013 and couldn't have done it without the help of the community at whiteblaze, so thank you all for your advice! It was one amazing journey. I never got around to signing up until now but would love to help any beginners with any questions they may have. Feel free to send me a PM.

Nice to finally "meet" you all,
Brittany (Smoky)

K. J.
09-20-2014, 19:20
My name is Kameron, I grew up in Botetourt Va. Always pulled to the trail. I am starting to plan some nice long sections. I would love to be able to thru but that is going to be years down the road. Now I am a little south of Roanoke. Would love to meet up with some local experienced hikers to pick their brain about the normal newbie stuff and see about some good 3-4 day hikes around the area.