PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Yourself ... Please

Pages : [1] 2

HikerMom58
12-22-2013, 17:34
There's a lot of new user names popping up on Whiteblaze lately. It's nice to know who's who and :welcome newbies (and lurkers) to the site.

I'll start- I'm HikerMom. I've been an active member for a little over a year. I like meeting new people. I have many friends on this site. I hope to make many more.

I live near the trail crossing in Daleville VA.

I've never added up the miles I have hiked on the AT but I'm guessing I've sectioned about 300-400 miles so far. My first backpacking trip was about 125 miles.

I can't wait to get back to my old stomping grounds in New Hampshire. I'm hiking with my daughter, who has done over half the trail. This spring we will finish up PA. Looking ahead.. she's already done CT and all but 4 miles of MA. I looking forward to the Whites with her and a friend. :>)

I hope everyone feels comfortable here & feels welcome... so introduce yourself. :sun

Traffic Jam
12-22-2013, 18:16
Hello! I was a lurker for a looooong time before I got the courage to start posting (I'm a bit shy). I never contribute anything worthwhile but it's fun nevertheless. I've been consistently hiking for 4 years and most of it has been in the Smokey's. Whiteblaze, and everyone here, has given me the courage to branch out and try new places. I'm planning on sectioning the BMT next year and doing some AT sections.

Storm
12-22-2013, 18:16
Well Hi Hikermom. I'm Storm, nice to meet you.

NCn8chrgrrl
12-22-2013, 18:32
Hello, I'm Amanda. I'm planning a thru in 2015 and wanted to check out the community a bit before then.
I live in Kings Mountain, NC, and hike as much as possible, though the thru will be my first big hike.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Waitin 4 my trl name
12-22-2013, 18:37
Thanks for starting this thread HikerMom - Stephen here. Haven't hiked any AT---yet. Just moved to an area about 2 hours from the southern terminus and am hoping to thru-hike (or at least cover some very long sections) in 2017 when a good friend of mine and I reach a particular "chronological milestone". Thanks for the welcome.

rangeley
12-22-2013, 19:21
Hey all
I'm Rangeley from Rangeley Maine!
i don't post much but sponge up a lot of great info
Well I'm actually from RI but moved up here a couple years ago to get away from the sheep. I had done a little backpacking before moving up here, but really got into it once moving up here. I go whenever I can in the 3 better seasons, and ski in the winter. I'm starting from Springer on March 14th 2014 and will hike as far north as I can, hopefully I'll make it to Maine

DatWolf
12-22-2013, 19:28
Hello, I'm Wolf. I'm just getting in to backpacking and I've almost decided to attempt a thru hike in 2015. I really enjoy getting and giving a little advice in this community.
I'm from the middle of nowhere Arkansas and Ive been trying to hike as much as possible.

CalebJ
12-22-2013, 19:33
Good evening! I'm Caleb. Got involved in backpacking through Troop 209 in Roanoke, VA more than twenty years ago and have always loved it. I especially love winter trips to Mt Rogers and Mt Sterling. Have wanted to do a thru-hike since I was in high school and it looks like next summer I'll finally get the chance to at least do a long section. Going to step off from Maine in June. Not sure how far I'll go, will be flexible on that based on the experience and how my body feels. Knocked out a 40 mile hike a couple of weeks ago and loved it, but I certainly won't be trying to do that kind of daily mileage.

Coffee
12-22-2013, 19:36
I've been on WhiteBlaze for about a year. I've lived in Northern Virginia for the past eleven years and hike in SNP whenever I get the chance. Backpacked in the 1990s in California but mostly day hiked until this year when I got new gear, did some AT sections in and around SNP, hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim, and thru hiked the JMT. I am currently planning two major hikes in 2014: AT SOBO from Harpers Ferry going as far as I can get in three weeks starting early-mid April and a thru hike of the Colorado Trail in the summer. I'm planning to thru hike the PCT in 2015 if I'm not sick of backpacking at the end of next summer!

Robin2013AT
12-22-2013, 19:43
Hi HM! Great idea!! Violet B. here although how would you know that? I'm a 2 year WB Veteran. Lots of good info here. I completed my thruhike in 2013 and was proudly known as the older, skinny lady with the grin from ear to ear. Best time ever!!

Hey Rangley...there is something valuable about actually hiking home. The destination is clear so you just keep walking North. You'll make it.

importman77
12-22-2013, 19:44
I'm Importman. I live in SC about 5 hours away from the trail at best. My hiking on the A/T is very limited. I really don't have any plans of attempting a thru. I do plan to do sections as my free time allows. I've been on WB for a year or so now, just don't post a lot. What little I know about backpacking has mostly come from here.

capehiker
12-22-2013, 19:56
Hikermom- a member for a year? Your join date says 3.

4shot
12-22-2013, 20:04
joined this site maybe 6 months before my thru hike in 2010. it was/is a great resource but can be a bit confusing at times for the beginning backpacker due to all the conflicting opinions. There is no substitute for experience so take everything you read/see/hear on this site with a grain of salt...get out and hike as much as you can.

Gwilli
12-22-2013, 20:05
Hi, I'm Greg. I've been a member for about a year or so. I'm mostly a lurker, learning as much as I can from the community. I post things once and a while. I live in WA St, in the Tricities. I spend as much time as I can on Mt Rainier as I can. Looking forward to hiking Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams this spring/summer.

Phoenix Firebird
12-22-2013, 20:23
Evening all,

I'm Phoenix Firebird, & have been an active and lurking member for a little bit now. I live on the western side of PA, but a good bit of distance from the AT. I have been planning thoroughly and enjoying a possibility of a thru-hike. I was going to this year, but life had different plans for me.

It's certainly always nice to see such a great community on here, I must say. As I have seen nothing but fantastic people time and time again here.

Wild Blue
12-22-2013, 21:43
Hi I'm Pete. Lurked a while with an occasional post here and there. I managed to backpack Big Bend and sections of the Pinoti and BMT this year. I was set to thru the BMT but a family medical situation took precedence. Also visited Springer twice once via the approach trail the other by car. I'm not sure what 2014 will bring, kind of living one day at a time right now. I have learned a lot on this site and appreciate people sharing their experiences. I think I'll post more when my next trip is planned or completed.

Traffic Jam
12-22-2013, 22:06
Hi I'm Pete. Lurked a while with an occasional post here and there. I managed to backpack Big Bend and sections of the Pinoti and BMT this year. I was set to thru the BMT but a family medical situation took precedence. Also visited Springer twice once via the approach trail the other by car. I'm not sure what 2014 will bring, kind of living one day at a time right now. I have learned a lot on this site and appreciate people sharing their experiences. I think I'll post more when my next trip is planned or completed.

You and your wife have been in my thoughts a lot. Best wishes to you both.

Subie Love
12-22-2013, 22:21
Hello! My name is Jonathan, originally from Michigan but I just moved to Jacksonville, FL. I've backpacked quite a bit around Michigan and just started exploring Florida a bit. A few months ago I won an all expenses paid trip to hike 70 miles of northern Sweden... pretty amazing experience. I have a start date for my '14 thru of April 3rd, can't wait!!

If there is anyone in the Jacksonville area that would like to meet up and do some hiking let me know. I don't know many people here and I definitely don't know many places to backpack.

Astro
12-22-2013, 22:21
HM, thanks, this thread was a good idea.
Astro here, been on WB now for 2 years. Started section hiking at Springer with my son during Thanksgiving 2010. On my own now, and have 670 miles (Newport, VA), with 1500 to go. Hope to knock out the rest with a month or so each of the next 3 summers.

Wild Blue
12-22-2013, 22:48
Thanks Itri, I appreciate it.

Christie Belle
12-22-2013, 22:54
Hello everyone!

I'm Christie Belle (also a Southern-Belle!). I've lived in Western North Carolina most of my life, and when I wasn't living here I lived above 8,000 ft. in Colorado. I've flirted with the AT ever since I started college at Appalachian State, taking weekend trips, day hikes, and a couple 3-4 day trips on several of the NC AT trails and just recently I met the ponies on Mt. Rogers, VA!! I suppose I've been lurking for a month or two, trying to read and research as much as possible! I'm planning on a thru-hike starting first week of April, but I have to admit I don't know how to start the actual planning process. I have at least 7 AT books, I've been devouring this website as well as others, I'm pretty set on gear, but as far as planning an itinerary and budget... I feel lost! I grow more and more excited each day although my parents frown on me for wanting to hike alone (I will for sure get murdered & such). I'd love to get into contact with as many of you AT veterans as possible, you all have an endless supply of info and encouragement :)

None yet
12-22-2013, 23:08
I'm CJ, lived in MI most of my life where I skied, raced sailboats and later lived on the boat while cruising. Every year I try something in which I have no knowledge or experience and have a dozen reasons why I want to hike the AT. I was open water kayaking in October and had an overwhelming feeling that I had hike the AT. I'm starting in Springer in April. I happened on WB by chance and have made many gear choices after devouring these threads (big one left is what shoes to get for an April start). Thanks for the thread.

HikerMom58
12-22-2013, 23:40
Hikermom- a member for a year? Your join date says 3.

Yes capehiker... I joined 3 years ago but I never posted much or logged on. I've been an active member for over a year. :)

Thanks so much ya'll for all the replies!! So many of you I know, already.. :D For the ones I didn't know, I do now.. :banana

Thanks for sharing a bit about yourselves on this thread. *Hugs*

Next?

Hey CJ...congrats on starting the trail in April. Start a thread about what you are looking for in a hiking shoe, I'm sure you would get some good advice. :>)

Tuckahoe
12-22-2013, 23:54
Hi my name is Tuck... I'm a recovering... oh wait wrong thread...

Toon
12-23-2013, 00:20
Hey trailname is chief. 400 miles on at in 12. Thur in 14

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Teacher & Snacktime
12-23-2013, 00:41
We're Teacher & Snacktime and we're working our way through exploring all the AT states and meeting lots of WB members along the way. We're working on a 4 year homeschool project call Eddie's Challenge - An Appalachian Adventure (our Facebook page), and the most important thing we've learned so far is how great is the AT Community!

slbirdnerd
12-23-2013, 10:08
Thanks for the thread, HikerMom! I'm Sonya "Rock Slide." Always a hiker but started backpacking this year and am hooked. I've learned a great deal from everoyne at WB, the books I've read and videos I've watched, as well as my (so far) limited experience. Happy to learn, happy to share, LOVE to hike!

adamkunzler
12-23-2013, 11:47
Hey, I'm Adam, trail name is Snowball. I've been planning a thru-hike for about a year and a half and will attempt one this coming season. I haven't done a whole lot of hiking before. I did some overnighters in the Ozarks of southern Missouri (Hercules Glades area for those familiar with that location) and plenty of day hikes round about there as well. I'm quiet and more apt to listen than talk or ask questions. WhiteBlaze has been helpful in figuring out and getting familiar with certain aspects of the trail and its community.

hikerboy57
12-23-2013, 11:49
im hikerboy.
here to help.

AkaMirage
12-23-2013, 11:55
Hello fellow outdoor enthusiasts!

I'm Lynsey, aka "Mirage". Have been "Lurking" for a few weeks, but finally decided to join last week to seek out some advice, and got some great feedback. I did my first backpacking trip on the AT with my parents and brother (Kodak, Monarch, and 20 lbs.) about 4 years ago, but was forced to bail after injuring my knee descending Trey mountain in GA. Truthfully, I wasn't really prepared mentally or physically to backpack even a section of the AT.

I decided that after losing some weight last year it was time to get back on the trail. I did a 25-mile long weekend over labor day and am hooked! In June I'll be introducing my boyfriend and our Dalmatian Lady to the trail on a 4 or 5 day trip from Damascus through the Grayson Highlands, and I couldn't be more excited!

wookinpanub
12-23-2013, 12:09
My name is Frank and I live in Signal Mountain, just outside of Chattanooga. I thru-hiked over 20 years ago southbound. I hiked the entire trail solo (never had a hiking partner, even for a day), so I totally missed out on the feeling of trail community. This site helps capture a bit of that missing piece.The Trail was a life-changer for me. I like reading about current trail issues/gear and hope to thru-hike with my eldest daughter when she graduates high school or college (4 or 8 years from now.)

CarlZ993
12-23-2013, 12:43
Hi, I'm Carl AKA Zman from Austin TX. I thru-hiked the AT in 2013. I'm actively involved in a Boy Scout Venture Crew & done a lot of stuff w/ them (completed the Boy Scout Triple Crown - Philmont, Northern Tier, & Sea Base). I've also done a lot of hiking (solo, w/ my wife, and/or friends) out west, some hiking in Canada, Chile, Argentina, & NZ. I'm planning to hike the Colorado Trail next summer.

Many Moons
12-23-2013, 12:48
They call me Miller on the trail. What time is it? HaHa. It works because thats my last name. A full time paid captain in the fire department. 3 years until retirement. Have hiked from Springer to Hot Springs on several sections on a long spread out thru. Been hiking in Spring with the thru hikers. I have meet many of Whiteblazers on the hikes and in town at trail days. Meet LW, JK and many others there. Baltimore Jack helped me learn to pack my pack at Neel's-how cool is that!!! Last hikers I meet on a short fall hike was Seat Belt and his son-cool dudes!! They nick named my younger son Miller Lite. Every hike is an experience-hard to explain to non-hikers-right? It is real neat to youtube thru hikers videos and see hikers you hiked with making Maine!

So, heres the plan section hike until 2017 retirement year and do bigger sections until make it to K.

See some of ya'll at Hot Springs in mid April headed North with the thru hikers!!! HIKE ON!!!

Miller

There's a lot of new user names popping up on Whiteblaze lately. It's nice to know who's who and :welcome newbies (and lurkers) to the site.

I'll start- I'm HikerMom. I've been an active member for a little over a year. I like meeting new people. I have many friends on this site. I hope to make many more.

I've never added up the miles I have hiked on the AT but I'm guessing I've sectioned about 300-400 miles so far. My first backpacking trip was about 125 miles.

I can't wait to get back to my old stomping grounds in New Hampshire. I'm hiking with my daughter, who has done over half the trail. This spring we will finish up PA. Looking ahead.. she's already done CT and all but 4 miles of MA. I looking forward to the Whites with her and a friend. :>)

I hope everyone feels comfortable here & feels welcome... so introduce yourself. :sun

BrianLe
12-23-2013, 13:26
I'm Brian, aka 'Gadget'; I hiked the AT in 2010. I'm hiking about a month's worth of AT this year starting in Georgia early-to-mid March because a good friend is thru-hiking this year (possibly another trail friend will start then too to hike some weeks with him, or even two others ... trail junkies). A month's worth is a good annual weight-loss plan for me, and if you're going to hike with a thru-hiker, best to do it from the start (tough to jump on and keep up when he's already got his trail legs).

Hope to get to Damascus, but might drop out a bit short of that just to make other schedule plans work out. The sad part is that I know I'll be doing the hardest and coldest bits and leaving just when things start to get really good. Oh well! I'm at least anticipating (hoping for) less blow-downs than were on the trail early on in 2010.

illabelle
12-23-2013, 13:54
Hello everyone!

I'm Christie Belle (also a Southern-Belle!). I've lived in Western North Carolina most of my life, and when I wasn't living here I lived above 8,000 ft. in Colorado. I've flirted with the AT ever since I started college at Appalachian State, taking weekend trips, day hikes, and a couple 3-4 day trips on several of the NC AT trails and just recently I met the ponies on Mt. Rogers, VA!! I suppose I've been lurking for a month or two, trying to read and research as much as possible! I'm planning on a thru-hike starting first week of April, but I have to admit I don't know how to start the actual planning process. I have at least 7 AT books, I've been devouring this website as well as others, I'm pretty set on gear, but as far as planning an itinerary and budget... I feel lost! I grow more and more excited each day although my parents frown on me for wanting to hike alone (I will for sure get murdered & such). I'd love to get into contact with as many of you AT veterans as possible, you all have an endless supply of info and encouragement :)

Hi Christie Belle, I'm originally from western NC, currently east TN, and also a Southern Belle. I'd say we could be sisters, but uh, I'm too old. Maybe you could be my dotter (that's how I like to spell it)! Good luck with your thru attempt. :)

I've been on WB for a couple years, have learned a lot, made some friends, and mostly use the site to nurture my enthusiasm for the trail. I'm looking forward to a short section at the end of 2013 in SNP. I've been busy lately with a Christmas project, so I haven't posted much, but pretty soon I'll post and show you what I've been up to.

Grey Ghost
12-23-2013, 14:15
Hi Hiker Mom, I go by Grey Ghost.I joined Whiteblaze last year and have soaked in as much info as possible but still want to learn more. You could say that I am hooked on it. Thanks to all who have helped make Whiteblaze possible. Did some of the Ga. A.T. in Oct. 2013. I want to finish Ga. and keep heading north.

Murphy7
12-23-2013, 15:21
Hi, everyone! I'm Murphy...been hiking for as long as I can remember! I recently decided to thru in 2014. I have done many sections and I am excited to see new places and meet new people.

Seatbelt
12-23-2013, 15:54
They call me Miller on the trail. What time is it? HaHa. It works because thats my last name. Last hikers I meet on a short fall hike was Seat Belt and his son-cool dudes!! They nick named my younger son Miller Lite. Miller

We think you are real cool, too!! Good luck with all your future hikes!! Seatbelt

HikerMom58
12-23-2013, 16:11
AWESOME stories y'all! Welcome, Welcome!! :D

I, like Illabelle, am busy getting ready for Christmas or else I would take the time to comment on each post. For now, I'll just say how much I enjoyed reading each one.

Later you guys... nice to "meet" all of you!

Like Many Moons aka Miller said, it's fun to meet other Wber's .. maybe our paths will cross at some point. This is fun!

Happy Hiking & Happy Holidays to y'all!! A special good luck wish to the Class of 2014.... we are pulling for you guys and gals!!

Trebor66
12-23-2013, 16:19
Trebor here. Did a lot of hiking in my younger days (80's and 90's) but fell away from it for several years while moving forward in life with a wife, kid, and career, etc. moved from Pennsylvania to Georgia several years ago. Now I live a hour and. Half from Springer and hike in that area often either by myself or with my son.

Nyte
12-23-2013, 17:57
*steps up, holds lit candle, takes a deep breath* Hi, I'm Nyte, and I am an outdoor addict. First time I set foot on the AT was the summer I was 8 or 9, in Washington Monument State Park, on a camping and canoeing trip with the day camp I attended that year. I loved it, being in the woods, as always, and we hiked down to the shelter, and I was fascinated. Group leader told us about the AT, and how people hiked it from Georgia to Maine.

I was captivated, and it always surfaced in my thoughts and dreams. I've hiked, camped, backpacked, hunted, fished, canoed, mountain biked, and more since before then, and still, out in the elements, away from the hypocrisy of society, that is where my heart has always been. It's were I have always longed to be.

Right now the plan is to find work opportunities through 2014, and save every possible penny for a 2015 GA ME hike. I love it here for the wealth of knowledge, the friendly atmosphere, the support, camaraderie, and tolerance.

Devin Harvey
12-23-2013, 18:41
I guess since im asking questions i should introduce my self. My names Devin obviously lol. I dont have a trail name and figured id just take whatever is given to me. I live in the flattest part of Texas you could find, Wichita Falls. im 26 and looking to thru hike the AT sometime in 2014 hopefully starting in early March. As dumb as it might sound I got the AT bug from a documentary on Netflix and started doing research from there.

xokie
12-23-2013, 19:53
Hey, Hiker Mom and the rest of you. I guess I'm a lurker for the most part but prefer to think of myself as a learner. Whatever the topic is, someone usually comes along pretty quickly who knows more than I do.

Deer Hunter
12-23-2013, 21:28
Nice idea for a thread, HM. :)

Sarcasm the elf
12-23-2013, 22:07
Well I'm Sarcasm the elf, or The Elf, or Razorback, or occasionally my real name to those that know me. I'm an Eagle Scout that first stepped foot on the trail when I was twelve. I had the childhood dream of hiking the entire trail that I forgot about for a decade or so and then remembered again in 2008. By then life got in the way and a thru hike was out of the question, so I've been hiking local trails and section hiking the A.T. ever since.

So far it's been great, I've section hiked the A.T. from DWG to Mt Everett MA and have rehiked the sections closer to me a number of times. One of the things that people don't mention enough is that the advantage of section hiking is that you can go out anytime with little planning (once you get used to it.) I'm looking forward to the winter and will hopefully get out a good number of nights in the next couple of months.

Drybones
12-23-2013, 22:31
Drybones here. Started hiking a couple of years ago, been coming to WB about a year or so, did the first 415 miles of the AT last spring, 217 this spring, 387 this fall, puts me about half way. Have two regrets from the last outing; a pretty young lady from Washinton state flagged me down and had me take a photo of her at McAfee point, she asked if I wanted her to take one of me but I didn't take the time to do so, 2) got tied up helping another hiker at Daleville and didn't get to call Mom while I was there...thought about her though as I hiked out of town before sunrise.

Buzzy84
12-24-2013, 00:42
Hey everyone! I'm Aaron but everybody calls me Buzzy (its not why you would think lol) I'm from Maine setting off on my journey on the AT Home Bound late march 2014! I am pretty excited to say the least and can't wait. I'm hiking as cheaply as possible and staying on the trail mostly except resupply in town, so i'll probly start a thread or if you have suggestions just message me. Got a pair of Danner mountain light II for the hike, Made in the USA. Breaking them in now and feel great so far.
Also i will be hiking in honor of "Ferryman" Steve Longley RIP I had the honor of meeting the legend himself, ended up grillin up some steaks for him and my buddy and I at his place. We dropped in while he was getting his cabins ready for some early thru hikers. He was a great guy and it didn't take me long to figure that out. As many of you may know he was a crucial addition to the trail, as a canoe guide across the Kennebec river for 20 years. Transporting over 19,000 hikers across the mighty river without any accidents. I read somewhere he lifted a guys pack into the canoe and tipped himself over but the guy said at that point, seeing his pack in the water was more comical than anything haha ya I bet.
I also read somewhere that after meeting all the great people of the trail, he got an itch for it and wanted to hike it himself but he took his job very seriously and would not take the time off to hike it.
So since he sadly passed unexpectedly and didn't get his chance at the thru hike. My hike will be in his memory I will "observe" as much as i can on my way thru for you buddy.
I'll leave you with a quote of his "I'm not going to be The Ferryman forever. When I move on, all that matters is I left this place in a little better shape than I found it."
He sure did too and helped a lot of people over the years achieve their dreams and inspired some :)

HikerMom58
12-24-2013, 09:55
Hey, Hiker Mom and the rest of you. I guess I'm a lurker for the most part but prefer to think of myself as a learner. Whatever the topic is, someone usually comes along pretty quickly who knows more than I do.

Hey xokie... I like what you said about not being a lurker but a learner!! I LOVE that! See, we need people like you around here to say awesome things like that!! You know more than you realize... thanks xokie! :)

HikerMom58
12-24-2013, 10:03
And the awesomeness just continues as more people introduce themselves.... thanks everyone. Thanks DH! :)

Drybones... I wondered what happened when you rolled through Daleville. lol! That's fine cuz you were helping out another hiker... way to go!! :D You have to come back to get that pic on McAfee! :)

Hiking people are the BEST!! Feel the love and the :welcome here from everyone!

jfarrell04
12-24-2013, 10:34
Good morning and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidaze to all WB'ers! I'm Tim Farrell, aka Big Walker, from Beavercreek, Ohio. Started hiking the AT in 1987 and have completed at least one section each year since, finishing last year in Dalton, MA. Approximately 1565miles down and 620 to go! Don't post much, but read/lurk/learn from you folks (most of you folks) daily.

kayak karl
12-24-2013, 10:40
I'm Father Christmas

BE GOOD! or at least a GOOD try!

Jagger
12-24-2013, 11:39
Hey HikerMom, I'm Mick aka Jagger. Thanks for starting this thread! I'm a long time day hiker and took up backpacking when I retired three and a half years ago. I've done two sections of the AT: Spring Mt. to Fontana in May 2013 and Fontana Dam to I40 ( GSMNP ) in late September 2013. I plan on trying to do about 200 miles a year of the AT continuing north. In addition, I am section hiking the Arizona Trail and I'm hiking the JMT in August 2014 as well as various short trips in Arizona and Indiana. I'm a frequent read of WB and a sometimes poster...great info and sometimes a little humor.

whisper walking
12-24-2013, 11:47
Hello, my name is Kit, from just outside Williamsburg, VA. I joined WB a couple of months ago, and I do more lurking and learning than posting. I am just getting back into hiking and camping after quite a long time away from the woods (Ex-husband thought "getting back to nature" was a barbeque sandwich and an hour of the Discovery Channel). The only time I have been on the AT was in 1998 when I stepped about 10 feet down the path at Newfound Gap in the Smokies. I am very excited about thru-hiking in 2014.

Valley Girl
12-24-2013, 13:01
Hi and Happy Holidays! My name is Linda and I am from the San Fernando Valley area in California and temporarily living in the Houston area. I have hiked the Sierras but that was more than a few years ago. I plan to begin my hike thru mid to late February after a parent's long illness. There is nothing better than trail therapy.

Meriadoc
12-24-2013, 13:28
I'm Merry the Hobbit and I post occasionally (seemingly always about footwear). Thru hiked in 2012. Moved to Maine and loving it. For christmas I am starting construction on a pair of mukluks.

Whiteblaze was the jumping off point for my thru. I learned a lot.

Angle
12-24-2013, 14:17
Hi, my name is Dave and my trailname is Iceman. I've done around 600 miles of the trail and hope to get to Roanoke sometime this summer. I enjoy meeting hikers as they past through PA. and try to make their journey through our rocky state less miserable by offering trail magic in the form of slack packing, sodas, transportation, etc. Merry Christmas to the class of 2014 and hope to see you this summer.

hikerboy57
12-24-2013, 14:33
Hi, my name is Dave and my trailname is Iceman. I've done around 600 miles of the trail and hope to get to Roanoke sometime this summer. I enjoy meeting hikers as they past through PA. and try to make their journey through our rocky state less miserable by offering trail magic in the form of slack packing, sodas, transportation, etc. Merry Christmas to the class of 2014 and hope to see you this summer.you the same iceman i met at piazza rock lean to in september?

Angle
12-24-2013, 15:33
Yes, I packed up and hiked back to my car first thing in the morning then headed north for two days in the 100 mile wilderness. I need to learn how to set up a Solong 6 on a tent platform, because everything was pretty soaked by morning. Nice to have met you and PM me when you come through PA if you need anything.

hikerboy57
12-24-2013, 15:40
Yes, I packed up and hiked back to my car first thing in the morning then headed north for two days in the 100 mile wilderness. I need to learn how to set up a Solong 6 on a tent platform, because everything was pretty soaked by morning. Nice to have met you and PM me when you come through PA if you need anything.
thought you might have gotten washed away that night, you were already gone in the a.m when i got going, i headed into rangely the following day.
same offer, if you're in the ny/ct area let me know.
p.s. i set up the solong6 on platforms twice during my trip and set it on the diagonal from the wooden slats and had no problem getting it pretty tight with some extra cord.

Kolo
12-24-2013, 18:51
Hi, I'm Kolo and have been lurking for a while now. I appreciate all I've gained by reading the posts and hope I can contribute and pass on a little bit of knowledge along the way.

Tuckahoe
12-24-2013, 18:59
Hello, my name is Kit, from just outside Williamsburg, VA. I joined WB a couple of months ago, and I do more lurking and learning than posting. I am just getting back into hiking and camping after quite a long time away from the woods (Ex-husband thought "getting back to nature" was a barbeque sandwich and an hour of the Discovery Channel). The only time I have been on the AT was in 1998 when I stepped about 10 feet down the path at Newfound Gap in the Smokies. I am very excited about thru-hiking in 2014.

Howdy Neighbor!

Trainguy
12-24-2013, 22:38
Hi, my real name is Jim. My trail name will be Trainguy, if I ever get there. I'm a retired locomotive engineer from Cincinnati. Born and raised in Maine. For a while I lived just a bit north of where the AT crosses the Kennebec River in Caratunk. Had plans to attempt a NOBO thru in 2014 but looks like that is on hold for now. My son in law and I spent few days on the Stampede Trail in Alaska back in 2010. A few pictures here: <trainguyjim.com> We watched a movie about the Stampede Trail and decided to hike it for the fun of it. We survived :) I'm mostly a lurker in here learning from all of you. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

wren again
12-25-2013, 13:15
Wren again here. Five section hikes completed. Love every second, even the parts I don't like at the time. Love my various hiking partners, different every time. Shadow, Superfly, The Pollinator, Ice Ice Abby, and Flippen. Can't wait for number six.

jimmyjam
12-25-2013, 15:17
Hi all I'm jimmyjam. My name is actually Jimmy and I received the nickname "jimmyjam" at least 15 years ago and it stuck, so that's my trail name too. I'm a section hiker for now. I started NOBO from Springer last April, stopped at the smokeys and then I have hiked south from Loft Mtn to Newport VA.

shelb
12-26-2013, 00:03
Hey Everyone~

I am Shelb. I have been section hiking the A.T. for 5 years now. Coming from Michigan, I only get to do about 60-100 miles a year. I have completed close to 4 hundred miles of the A.T. with my sons and/or my best friend. I also section-hike The North Country Trail and have completed about 300 miles of that, which doesn't include many sections that I hike repeatedly (such as the North Country Trail/Manistee Trail Loop - which is awesome!).

Merry Christmas and happy hiking!!!!

SawnieRobertson
12-26-2013, 15:10
I used my real name to register on WhiteBlaze.net 11 years ago when an active member who still posts dropped me a note suggesting that I join the ranks of those who had left Trailplace.com in disgust and join this group. I remained on Trailplace until Wingfoot himself left it but also added this cybergroup. Still, I did not become terribly addicted at first. Now, when I get up each morning, I check my online bank account, the weather channel, and Whiteblaze.net for any new developments after letting Fleur, my service dog "out" for a few minutes to attend to what she considers equally urgent and pouring my first cup of strong coffee. For trail news this is as good as the trail grapevine during hiking season. I am 80, but I still go to sleep every night planning my steps on the trail.~~Kinnickinic

RockDoc
12-26-2013, 17:36
I'm RockDoc, a professional geologist among other things.
I started hiking the AT in the boy scouts in the late 1960's. We would do the four state hike, from PenMar to Harper's Ferry. Did it twice, although the second time we were all soaked and frozen, and picked off the trail after a miserable night atop Lamb's Knoll. So early on I learned the pleasures and the pains of the trail.
The day after I graduated high school in Potomac, MD (June, 1974), I hiked up the C&O canal to the AT and walked north all the way to Maine. I turned 18 on the trail, learned about trail life, got into excellent shape, and made some good friendships. So I've been hooked on the AT for 40 years, and have returned regularly to hike new sections, or repeat favorites. Technically I'm a few miles short of 2000 miles. Just need to do Damascus to Hot Springs, and I plan to do that in Fall 2014. So I'm on the 40+ year plan to complete the AT, but I don't think of it as something that ever ends. You keep returning to it, like you go to a spring to fill your cup.

Merrell
12-26-2013, 17:48
Hello backpacking homies

Merrell isn't my real name, it's the kind of shoes I was wearing when I signed up.

Never been to the AT, section hiking with Mrs. Merrell for the first time in May maybe I hope

She has Merrell shoes too

Cro-Mag
12-26-2013, 20:01
Hello!
My trail name is Salad Days, as in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad_days My real name is Michael.

I thru-hiked the AT in 2013. I am now living back in the Los Angeles area and loosely planning a thru-hike on the PCT.

I've received so much info (good and bad) from whiteblaze, that I cannot thank the community enough. The most important thing is to decide what is right for you and the way you hike.

Now get out and hike!

HikerMom58
12-26-2013, 20:12
I'm liking all the introductions... :) I hear ya Cro-Mag- this place isn't perfect cuz it's made up of imperfect people but we still have a lot of fun!

Off and running again... the holiday fun continues.. Later everyone!

Grampie
12-27-2013, 11:22
Hi to all my White Blaze friends. My trail name is Grampie. I thru-hiked the AT in 2001 and have been a White Blaze addict since 2002. I am also a volunteer caretaker at the AMC cabin at Upper Goose Pond.

LAF
12-27-2013, 11:52
hello all from the Cayman Islands: not from here just currently reside here and coming back to the states early 2014 to try and get some of my trail legs back before I start my 2014 thru. I am new to Whiteblaze but not the outdoors; love it all, from underwater to the skies but seems my heart always brings me back to the mountains and the trails. Thru hike of the AT has been in my mind for a long time just never seemed as though the time was right, till now. So off I go end of Mar 2014. Cut my teeth on the trails up in the NE, lots of time in the Whites and the Adirondacks (winter, spring,summer and fall :) ) and some winter stuff up in Maine (sections of the AT not far from Bigelow as well as Mt Abrahm). Not sure what the trail is like down south but do know what I'm getting when I get up north. I'm basically a lurker here; probably should share a bit more but always figure someone else knows better than me even though I do have some good experience - just the way I am, but if you meet me on the trail probably more than happy to share my thoughts with you (once you get me to talk anyway). No trail name yet, don't know what fits....guess time will tell. Hope to meet some of you along the way.

drifter
12-27-2013, 12:23
Hello, Drifter (Mike) here - "drifted" the skies hot air ballooning for 25 years before dusting off and getting reacquainted with my backpack back in the mid 90's. Discovered it was a lot lighter than packing up the balloon gondola - lol!. Hike in Ohio and Michigan whenever possible. Have sectioned Springer to the Whites getting in 500 miles this year. The plan is to do the Whites this August...possibly finish Maine if the vacation hold out (?) - otherwise finish in 2015. Will probably then help my hiking buddy finish up his hike. One or two more years before retirement from the day job. Daily lurker with a few posts here and there, really enjoy this site.

Shutterbug
12-27-2013, 16:32
I am Shutterbug. I have not yet determined if I hike to take pictures or take pictures as an excuse for hiking. I post my pictures on my website -- http://www.davemcclung.com.

I have not been back to the AT recently, but do hike in some interesting places. I hiked the Inca Trail earlier this year and just returned from Cambodia and Vietnam. I went back to Vietnam to visit some of the places I served in1967 -- 1969.

I post on Whiteblaze when I think I have something to contribute. I am very experienced on the Wonderland Trail and the Grand Canyon.

FooFighter'12
12-27-2013, 17:31
Hello all! I lurked for awhile before my thru hike in 2012 and just recently got up the courage to start posting(yep, on the shy side). I recently moved to Columbia, SC from the upstate area near the Foothills Trail. I miss the mountains and frequent Whiteblaze to live vicariously through others until my next adventure. I have learned a lot from people on this site and very thankful for it. I hope to one day make some friends on here and share a future experience with. Thank you HikerMom for the thread and the opportunity to introduce myself. Happy New Year everybody!

P Chang
12-27-2013, 17:39
Hey everyone…I'm P Chang, and this is my first post. I'll hopefully be heading back to Afghanistan in a few more months, work there for 12+ months, then return and do the hike (MEGA). That will put me in the Class of '15.

I was previously working in Afghanistan, got hurt, and had to return to the States for a few surgeries (neck & elbow have been completed…back is next). Due to my injuries, I've embraced the ultralight mindset, whereas before I never had an issue with a heavy pack. I'm currently trying to get my base weight to under 15 pounds, but closer to 10 would be preferable since food and water weigh quite a bit.

I day hike every weekend, have noticed a few mistakes regarding the choice of gear, but am learning from those mistakes. An example is the pack I use…am on my FOURTH one. The Voodoo Tactical pack I had was just too heavy and had next to zero support (sold on eBay). My Field & Stream 35L pack is quite nice, but not large enough (would like to sell that). My Kelty Coyote 80 was too large, but VERY comfortable (would like to sell that). My Kelty Redwing 50 is what I use now and it appears to be the right one for the job.

I suppose it's a little early to start planning my hike, but I'm a detailed oriented person, and therefore would like to know as much as possible prior to getting on the trail, soooo...THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS WEBSITE!!!

DugK
12-27-2013, 19:10
Hey all, I am DugK. I grew up in the Delaware Water Gap and have wore out many soles from the gap to Branchville as a teenager.
Now I live outside Mt Airy NC. I spend a lot of time backpacking Mt Rogers area with my Son and/or his Boy Scout troop.
I have learned a lot of great stuff on a White Blaze that I try out then pass on to the Scouts.
I had originally had a thru hike planned. I purchased most of the gear and my plan was when I got my discharge papers from the Marine Corps I was walking back to my parents house via Maine. But then life happened, reenlisted, got married, had our son and my plans/priorities changed. I will thru hike on day but for now I am happy on small section hikes with my son.
Thanks to all who share their knowledge.
Doug

Cookerhiker
12-27-2013, 21:20
My trail name incorporates my real last name. My first name is Bill. I completed 29 years of section hiking in 2005 (2 years after I retired) by hiking 700+ miles and saving the best - and my longest - hike for last: Gorham to Katahdin (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2875). This coming March marks 10 years since I backpacked my first 100+ mile section hike and I plan a partial reprise by re-hiking from Springer to Deep Gap, NC in April.

Until 4 1/2 years ago, I never lived more than an hour-and-a-half drive from the AT - now, I'm 4 hours from the nearest point, Davenport Gap. I'm active in hiking and maintaining the Sheltowee Trace (http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/) in Kentucky and will someday thruhike it. Meanwhile, I offer shuttles to anyone wanting to thruhike this 307 mile trail.

FWIW, I thruhiked the Colorado Trail in 2011 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12406) and have written a book about it which I expect to publish by spring.

Waitin 4 my trl name
12-27-2013, 21:27
But then life happened...

Happens to the best of us. Life does have the tendency to change plans we have made and, hopefully, in most cases, for the better.

English Stu
12-28-2013, 06:51
Hi, I am English Stu and I am in the UK. I retired in 2004 and section hiked from Daleville to Springer. I did the JMT in 2008 and the came across the US to hike from Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs. In 2010 I did the 100 mile wilderness to Katahdyn. Therefore big holes in a 2000 miler. I hope to close one this year by hiking from Daleville to Harpers Ferry.
I have also done the GR5 from Geneva to Nice across the Alps and a GB end to End from Cape Wrath on the north west coast of Scotland to Lands End Cornwall.
The JMT and the GR5 have greater views than the AT (though Maine is good from Katahdyn) but the social aspect of the AT is far better. The shelter system gives that a boost even if you do not sleep in them which I rarely do.

Kerrkid
12-28-2013, 12:36
Hello my name is Anthony but I go by the name kerrkid on the trail and I live in Michigan. I have been backpacking for 4 years been out west to ONP & RMNP I have also done parts of the North Country Trail and the NCT/MRT loop, in 2014 im looking to head back to RMNP to summit long's peak.. Thru hiking is not an option for me do to every day life and work but I am looking to do my first 200 to 300 mile section hike on the AT feb of 2015. I am a year round backpacker and love winter backpacking.. This is my first post on this site but as the months pass ill be on hear a lot more trying to obtain more info do's and don'ts for my section hike..

Honuben
12-29-2013, 05:52
Aloha, Jason here. New to the site, lurking a few weeks now and researching. I was planning a northbound trip in '15 after I left Hawaii but my schedule has changed which allows me to Southbound it in '14. Ex-Navy and been working for the gov for the past few years, but decided to get off the grid for a while once the wife retires from the Navy. Hope to see some of you on the trail.

MoonstruckRed
12-29-2013, 07:23
Hi. My name is brad. Most people know me as Moonstruck Red or simply Moonstruck. Its not my hiker nickname its simply the DJ name I go by in my other hobbies. I am no hiker by any stretch of the word. Ive known about the AT since I read an article on Backpacker Magazine back in 2008 by sheer accident. Attempting a thru hike has been on the to do list now since then. I would have already tried it by now but my wife is going through nursing school and I'm working 2 jobs so she can focus primarily on the school side of things. Once she graduates in '15, I plan to jump on the trail the following Spring. Not a day goes by where I'm not thinking about this. Anyways that's me. Hope to meet some cool peeps on the site.

HikerMom58
12-29-2013, 11:07
Welcome in everyone!! :>) We can all get to know each other on this site. It takes time... hang with us! Thanks again all for the introductions. If ur looking to meet cool peeps... we got em!! We are all pretty cool in our own way! :D

HikerMom58
12-29-2013, 11:13
2014 Trail Days in Damascus VA, we can post a thread about that later... that's a good opportunity to meet up with each other. :cool:

Loving all the section hikers out there too! :>)

Teacher & Snacktime
12-29-2013, 12:06
2014 Trail Days in Damascus VA, we can post a thread about that later... that's a good opportunity to meet up with each other. :cool:

Loving all the section hikers out there too! :>)

We'll be there, and hope to meet loads others!

SkraM
12-29-2013, 16:40
Hey all,

This is Skram (backwards for Mark S.) checking in from sunny Seminole Florida. Working my way north one section at a time. Never giving up the dream a attempting a thru hike.

horicon
12-29-2013, 16:43
Old Eagle from New Paltz, NY.

bamboo bob
12-29-2013, 16:51
Hello everyone. My trail name is Bamboo Bob. I live mainly in VT but spend time in Boston as well. I set a goal for myself of backpacking 10,000 miles and completed that a few years back. I have completed the AT three times one of which was a thru-hike. I've also thru-hiked the PCT and the Long Trail (twice) and the Florida Trail (twice) and others including the New England Trail in 2013. I started the CDT and did New Mexico in 2013 as well.
I tend to think that backpacking is easier than a lot of people think. It really is just walking and being willing to get up every day and hike. I like to throw in my two cents now and again. But I do believe you must hike your own hike and that all gear, food, and trail issues have many workable solutions. One shouldn't worry about doing it "right".

Tinker
12-29-2013, 17:01
Tinker. Prefer to hike alone, camp with others. Have hiked a little more than 1/2 of the trail in sections. have climbed New England's 4,000+foot mountains except for 2 in Baxter Park. Climbed Springer in Mach 2006, Katahdin in 2008. Sectioned all of long Trail in Vt. Maine terminus to Front Royal, Georgia, and a bit of trail in the Blue Ridge done to date. Gearhead (recovering - I know what works for me..........and am aware it MIGHT not work for others). Bible head, too, as well as religious non-conformist (don't take your religion and try to make it fit into the Bible - I don't care who, how many, or for how LONG it [your pet doctrine] has been believed). Read it yourself. :)

Papa D
12-29-2013, 17:17
Hey
I'm Papa D.
I hiked the AT thru in 85 then finished up college and started rock climbing. In the 90s through the early 2000s, I ran adventure programs for kids through a summer camp in North Carolina and led backpacking, rock climbing and whitewater adventures. I have also worked as a ski patroller in Colorado, and a bunch of other things. Somewhere along the way, I was able to buy a couple of rental houses and work on them led me into construction (for others) which is what I do now - mostly renovations, historic restoration and other projects involving older homes. I have a full time crew of about 5 people and we do somewhere between 5 and 10 projects per year.
Several years ago, I decided to re-hike the AT but as a long-distance section hiker. Usually, once or twice a year, I do longish 100-200 mile trips and use weekends to "touch up" little missing sections - - I'm currently at just shy of 1250 miles re-hiked but I have covered most of the ground south of Erwin, TN multiple times. So far, I've also done most of VA, all of WV and Maryland, a bit of New York, MA, VT, and all of NH. I also especially like doing long wilderness loops in Joyce Kilmer / Citico Creek Wilderness, Linville Gorge and Pisgah Forest in North Carolina (where I also still climb a pretty good bit).
When I was 31, I lucked into a great girl - quite a bit younger and doomed (by her parents) to fail but I'm proud to say that almost 14 years later, I have a lovely wife who is a pharmacist by trade but also is a trapeze artist. She is just fine with long distance hiking and trekking just so long as she has a shower and a bed at night (or a really comfy tent) so she serves as occasional support staff. We have one daughter who is 8 years old in the second grade. She is a competitive spring board diver and takes after her Mom messing around on the trapeze - - she's also good at basketball.
Trails that I have done aside from the AT include parts of the PCT and the CT. I've also hiked and trekked long distance in Wyoming and in 2010 walked the Long Trail in Vermont (that's where I met Bamboo Bob - see above). I've also completed a lot of smaller trails like the Foothills Trail in SC/NC, and a good bit of the Bartram Trail and the Mountains to Sea Trail.
I try to keep in good shape and really like doing pretty big mile days. Usually after just a couple of days on the trail, I'm in lock-step with most thru-hikers. When I have a slow day though I like to swim in creeks, sit by a responsibly made campfire, read, and cook some pretty dope vegetarian trail meals. I consider myself an environmentalist and a progressive but also a realist and a pragmatist - - I can be happy hanging out with all sorts of people who love the outdoors and look forward to seeing you all down the trail. Cheers.

wcgornto
12-29-2013, 17:43
Hi. I am Wanderlust. I completed a SOBO thru hike from June 14 to November 29, 2009. I have a Maine section hike scheduled for August 31 to September 13 in 2014 ... hopefully without the monsoon rains that I experienced in 2009. I am a native of Georgia, but I now blissfully live in Alaska and I have no plans for any future relocation. When I lived in Atlanta, I did a good bit of hiking in the North Georgia mountains, most notably in the Cohutta Wilderness. I have hiked a lot in Latin America in Argentina, Chile, Peru and Ecuador, Guatemala and Mexico. I hiked the Tour du Mont Blanc in the Alps and have completed much of the JMT in California. Of course, I have been on lots of trails in Alaska.

tawa
12-29-2013, 17:54
Trail name is Tawa. Reside in Evansville, Indiana! Retired high school teacher, coach and administrator. Have hiked from the approach trail to Damascus in the winter months! Also, hike alot in Hoosier National Forest! Wish I was closer to the AT but hope to hike the state of Virginia in 2014.
Previously was a Marathon runner and long distance cyclist but now want to focus on completing the AT!
Always interested in meeting new folks on or off the trail! If your traveling through this area---give me a shout if u need a place to stay or hike from!

Rolls Kanardly
12-29-2013, 18:13
May the following have a Happy New Year and may all your hikes have fair winds, sunny skies and no rocks underneath your sleeping bag.

HikerMom58, ITri, NCn8chrgrrl, Waitin 4 my trl name, rangeley, Dat Wolf, Calebj, RN-PCT2015, Robin2013AT, importman77, capehiker, 4shot, Gwilli, Phoenix Firebird, Wild Blue, Subie Love, Astro, Christie Belle, None yet, Tuckahoe64, Toon, Teacher & Snacktime, slbirdnerd, adamjunzler, hikerboy57, AkaMirage, wookinpanub, Carlz993, Many Moons, BrainLe, illabelle, Grey Ghost, Murphy7, Seatbelt, Trebor66, Nyte, Devin Harvey, xokie, Deer Hunter, Sarcasm the elf, Drybones, Buzzy84, jfarrell04, kayak karl, Jagger, whisper walking, Valley Girl, Meriadox, Angle, Kolo, Trainguy, wren again, jimmyjam, shelb, SawnieRobertson, RockDoc, Merrell, Cro-Mag, Grampie, psyenz, drifter, Shutterbug, FooFighter'12, P Chang, DugK, Cookerhiker, English Stu,Kerrkid, Honuben, MoonstruckRed, SkraM, Old Eagle, bamboo bob, Tinker, Papa D, wcgornto, tawa.

Furlough
12-29-2013, 19:03
Hi, I'm Kolo and have been lurking for a while now. I appreciate all I've gained by reading the posts and hope I can contribute and pass on a little bit of knowledge along the way.

Hi and welcome Kolo, from a fellow NOVAIAN.

Mumbles_2014
12-29-2013, 19:57
Hi I'm Rob, no trail name yet but will hopefully receive a fitting one this year on my 2014 thruhike. I'm pretty new to the whole hiking thing (not too many hills in DE) but I've always loved being outside and camping.

Okie Dokie
12-29-2013, 20:22
Thru-hiked the AT years ago...still miss the feeling of having every care and worry right there on my back and a day's walk ahead of me...been a member for a while, and just check in from time to time to see what the young dreamers are up to...let me know if I can help in any way?

HikerMom58
12-29-2013, 20:43
May the following have a Happy New Year and may all your hikes have fair winds, sunny skies and no rocks underneath your sleeping bag.

HikerMom58, ITri, NCn8chrgrrl, Waitin 4 my trl name, rangeley, Dat Wolf, Calebj, RN-PCT2015, Robin2013AT, importman77, capehiker, 4shot, Gwilli, Phoenix Firebird, Wild Blue, Subie Love, Astro, Christie Belle, None yet, Tuckahoe64, Toon, Teacher & Snacktime, slbirdnerd, adamjunzler, hikerboy57, AkaMirage, wookinpanub, Carlz993, Many Moons, BrainLe, illabelle, Grey Ghost, Murphy7, Seatbelt, Trebor66, Nyte, Devin Harvey, xokie, Deer Hunter, Sarcasm the elf, Drybones, Buzzy84, jfarrell04, kayak karl, Jagger, whisper walking, Valley Girl, Meriadox, Angle, Kolo, Trainguy, wren again, jimmyjam, shelb, SawnieRobertson, RockDoc, Merrell, Cro-Mag, Grampie, psyenz, drifter, Shutterbug, FooFighter'12, P Chang, DugK, Cookerhiker, English Stu,Kerrkid, Honuben, MoonstruckRed, SkraM, Old Eagle, bamboo bob, Tinker, Papa D, wcgornto, tawa.

Aww.... swa-eet, Rolls!! You listed out all the names of everyone that posted on this thread!! :banana I love it.. I wish I could remember all that each one posted, their real names and what they shared... this is sweet!! THANKS ROLLS!

I agree with your sentiments & wish the same for you & everyone else !! ;>) Now to add Furlough, TheRob and Okie Dokie!

I love the usernames that people come up with too... so fun!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

kerosenehat
12-29-2013, 21:44
Lurker with a few posts. No trail name. Live in Richmond Virginia. Started section hiking in October 2013 have about 80 combined miles in Virginia and Maryland. Planning another 65 in April rockfish gap to hawksbill gap

OCDave
12-29-2013, 21:47
I am getting back into backpack camping after 16+ years relegated to car camping. Now that my sons are old enough to hike w/their own packs, (and lighter weight equipment has replaced my way too heavy stuff from 1989), I am getting deeper into the woods and farther from civilization. Most of my hiking is along the North shore of MN, WI and Isle Royale NP but, I have ventured out west a couple of times. The length and duration of my trips grow just as fast as the legs of my youngest son but, I would not see myself thru-hiking anything longer than the Superior Hiking Trail for MANY years.

WhiteBlaze has been an terrific resource for steering me toward improved grear and trail food options. I also find the section hike recomendations inspiring trip planning foder.

I found my way here from Hammockforums. I have slept in tents, snow shelters and bivy bags but, NOTHING (not even my bedroom mattress) is as comfortable as sleeping outdoors on a crisp night in my hammock.

I continue to learn much here. I am greatly entertained by what I read here. I hope I can contribute something worthwhile.

Dave - just a little OCD

Waitin 4 my trl name
12-29-2013, 22:37

Thanks. Here's to a hiker filled and blessed 2014 to and the rest of the WB gang here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Teacher & Snacktime
12-29-2013, 22:51
Same to you Rolls....here's hoping that Task Force of yours has a quiet night.

Deer Hunter
12-29-2013, 23:01

Same wishes for you, Rolls. :)

Goji
12-30-2013, 00:09
Hi,
I'm Goji, planning AT thruhike 2014, late march or early April NOBO

Goji

ATHopeful2018
12-30-2013, 01:44
Hey all, I'm Kait. I'm looking to NOBO hike the AT in 2018 with my long time boyfriend. I live just outside of the Delaware Water gap and have hiked pieces of that trail on and off for a few years but never anything of length. We plan on spending the next few years saving and preparing for the trip!

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

HikerMom58
12-30-2013, 10:52
Welcome in Kerosenehat, OCDave, Waitin 4 my tri name, Goji and ATHopeful2018!! Nice to meet y'all!!

I'm a lil OCD myself... :D ATHopeful... hang out with us and ask any questions you may have... don't be shy! ;) Goji... go class of 2014!!

Love this song... seems appropriate! :>)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXyXDuI9p5U

grumps
12-30-2013, 17:15
Thanks for starting the thread HikerMom. Name is Michael and have been day hiking for years. Planning a thru in 2018 (will be 62 then) so pray for my knees!! See ya on the trail, Grumps

grumps
12-30-2013, 17:16
Hey kait! Just a grumpy old man here that is planning a NOBO in '18 as well. Good luck to you and your BF.

beaud
12-30-2013, 17:31
Hi all, I'm Beau. I've definitely been a lurker for a while and finally registered today so I could add my name to the Class of 2014. I was born and raised about an hour south of Tampa, Florida, getting ready to quit my job as a magazine editor so I can leave to hike the AT in March. I'm nervous, excited, and really loving the community I see here. Thanks!

mikeunger
12-30-2013, 18:13
Hi everyone!

I'm Mike. My wife Naomi and I plan to NOBO thru hike in 2014. I have previously hiked the PCT '06 & '09, the CDT in '10 & '12, and JMT in '13. I joined WB to learn more about the AT. It has been a great resource. I also really enjoy the lively debates over pack weight, food, hiking style, etc. I look forward to continuing to follow and contribute.

Mike

Roughthis
12-30-2013, 20:38
Hey All,
I'm Mike, from Massachusetts. Good to be here and thanks for all the past an future advise!!
Thanks,
Mike (RoughThis)

2NewKnees
12-30-2013, 21:31
Hello everybody,
I'm also Mike! That's 3 in a row I know. Anyway, I'm a longtime AT enthusiast. Have hiked several sections of the trail over the years but with work, life, young kids, etc. I haven't been able to get out there as much as I'd like. I live at the beach in NC and it is 6.5 hours to the trail from here at best. So, I am waiting for big breaks at work when I can go. I'm a teacher and coach which takes up most of the time I would have to go. Would like to give up coaching in a few years and take a leave of absence to Thru hike before I get too old and have to get 2NewKnees to go!

Toon
12-31-2013, 01:30
Hi all, I'm Beau. I've definitely been a lurker for a while and finally registered today so I could add my name to the Class of 2014. I was born and raised about an hour south of Tampa, Florida, getting ready to quit my job as a magazine editor so I can leave to hike the AT in March. I'm nervous, excited, and really loving the community I see here. Thanks!

I live in Sarasota we should do a shake down hike sometime

Ken.davidson
12-31-2013, 11:12
Hi, I'm Ken. I've been a member for about a year. I have been learning as much as I can from the WB community. I post things once and a while. I live in VA and I am a section hiker. I started at Spinger on March 12, 2013 and completed about eighty miles on the AT this year. My wife knows I am a little crazy but she allows me my return to nature. I will be hiking again this spring/summer. Happy New Year and hiking.
Sidewinder
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=435728

beaud
12-31-2013, 11:37
I live in Sarasota we should do a shake down hike sometime

I'd love to, Toon. My next few weekends are booked, but I'm quitting my job around Feb. 7 so I'll have a few open weeks before leaving. Will you be around in February?

Toon
12-31-2013, 12:22
I'd love to, Toon. My next few weekends are booked, but I'm quitting my job around Feb. 7 so I'll have a few open weeks before leaving. Will you be around in February?

Yea I'm starting in Erwin early may I stopped there in 2012

Furlough
12-31-2013, 14:15
Hello Sidewinder from a fellow Dale City WhiteBlazer.

Furlough

Stronger
12-31-2013, 14:34
Hello and Happy New Year! I am Deborah White. I live in South Louisiana. I am newly widowed and newly retired. I was a member of the Explorers Club while in High School (mid-seventies). My experience, at the time, was hiking in Germany; France, and Spain. Of course, one of our mothers was usually following us in a van with a tuna casserole in tow- but we thought we were pretty good. I did backpack up LA 1 via Amtrak and a Red Eye or two but also walked on my own to and through Oregon Ashland;Klamath Falls; Bandon By The Sea, in the early eighties. Nothing really since.

I was told by someone that he thought I was stronger. He was right; I am.

I realize I need a plan. I have one.

I have researched and purchased all the equipment I think I may need to begin seriously backpacking. My first Trip is with the Louisiana Hiking Club to Big Bend, Texas, February 1st.

My next scheduled trip will be to Lake Oconee in April. Next, #2 weeks in Slovenia, then a week-long Hiking Trip to the North Cascades in Washington, late June.

My goal for now, is White Mountains in NH. Possibly August 2014.

Perhaps I am stronger than I think...Thomas Merton

(I have a feeling I'm about to find out.)...Deborah White

Murphy7
12-31-2013, 15:11
Wow! Thank you for the warm welcome. Happy New Year to you all as well!

nitewalker
01-01-2014, 08:01
Nitewalker here aka Mike from Ct. Happy New Year to all of you! I have been on whiteblaze for 6 years and really love what the site is all about. I am more the silent type but I do chime in on occasion. Some of my favorite things to do are hiking/backpacking, biking, ice fishing, skiing, softball, basketball, exercise and lifting. I love to travel but I have been stuck east of the mississippi. one day I will jump that river. I have been camping my whole life but didnt start real backpacking till i was 16ish yrs old. It is now a passion and my favorite activity by far. maybe 2nd favorite if we include all activities...lol.....................ROCK ON 2014

HikerMom58
01-01-2014, 22:17
Happy New Year y'all!!! I think you are Stronger than you think, Deborah!! :cool: Nice to meet all of you!!

minda
01-02-2014, 16:08
Hello everyone! I'm Minda, or Mud Pie - thanks to my tendency to land face first in the mud. My husband & I are forced to section hike until he retires from the Army & our son finishes school. We're four hours from Springer and have been trying to get on the trail as often as possible. We've done quite a bit of hiking in the Olympic Mountains as well as here in Georgia. My favorite hike of all time was the Samarian Gorge in Crete, Greece.

Prime Time
01-02-2014, 17:09
Nice thread HikerMom! Thanks for starting it.
I grew up hiking and backpacking in Northern New Hampshire and now live just 6 miles from the AT in the heart of the White Mountains. My trail name is Dip 'n Sip and I completed a thru hike in 2013. It was an awesome experience and a day doesn't go by when I don't think about it. I plan on continuing hiking, biking, skiing, and just enjoying the great outdoors in the beautiful New Hampshire North Country as long as these old bones will keep me upright! Peace.

McFly
01-02-2014, 17:27
Hello all, my name is Tim. I'm in my mid-thirties and a long long way off from being able to complete my thru-hike (not until both kids are in college...which is at least 18 years away as the youngest isn't due until May). In retrospect, I should have taken some time off in my twenties but hindsight is 20/20. I try and get on the trail as much as possible here in Western Pa. My favorite trails, aside from the AT, include the Laurel Highlands Trail here in western Pa, the Mason-Dixon and Conestoga trails in eastern PA, and the Florida and Pinhoti trails down south. My goal is to start planning some longer weekend trips along some of the great trails in central PA such as the Black Forest Trail. God willing, I hope to be able to tackle the AT in my 50's as it's been a dream of mine since I was a little kid.

briangreunke
01-02-2014, 17:51
Hello, My name is Brian and I'm currently living in S. California. Just discovered this site and the quality info is awesome. Thanks!

Corajb
01-02-2014, 23:51
Hi my name is Coral! I recently had the itch to start backpacking more and in the next few years am planning on hitting the AT and seeing where life takes me from there. Look forward to spending time on this site as my journey progresses. :)

HikerMom58
01-03-2014, 18:43
Welcome all!! Thanks for introducing yourselves, so happy to meet you!!

Prime Time.... Thanks for posting! :) I lived in Whitefield NH when I was in 3rd grade. That's not too far from Sugar Hill, NH. I always think about that when I see you on here. I love ur trail name too. I had no idea you did a thru in 2013... CONGRATS!! :D

12TH Man
01-03-2014, 20:08
Hi my name is Carl. Aleve is my trail name. (Knees much older than I) Grew up in the shade of the SNP. Family once owned Big Meadows. Great granddad ran his cattle there in the summer.
I'm a retired air traffic controller. I live with my old black lab on the side of Old Rag mtn.
I anticipate starting a NOBO thru on Feb 17 2014. (give or take a year or so)
See you on the Trail

Ladytrekker
01-03-2014, 20:15
Hi been on WB for about 4 years or so I run a pretty active meetup group in Florida called Florida Trekkers . Have a strong infatuation with the AT and have only hiked 30 miles of it and am actively section hiking the Florida Trail about 400 miles so far. Also have kayaked a couple thousand miles of Florida waterways. Have a love affair with the outdoors it's my sanity and the woods is my happy place. I have a long bucket list of backpacking venues to complete and keep plugging away at it. Love this forum.

Deer Hunter
01-06-2014, 13:35
Good thread. Just giving it a bump to put back up where people can see it.

burningrabbit
01-06-2014, 14:04
How serendipitous! My name is Jack Hewitt and this August 2014 I'll begin my maiden voyage on the Trail beginning at Roanoke. I live in Wisconsin and have been chomping at the bit to hike all or part of the AT. I plan on hiking for a month in VA as a starting point, hoping to commune with John Brown at Harpers Ferry. I'm going alone and am not put-off by admonitions not to travel alone. Anyone with opinions on this choice please, sing out. I am of the impression that the Trail is sufficiently populated to ever feel remote and truly solitary (which is what I am seeking, alas...). I am planning to hike light, with a hammock tent, drop-shipping food and some equipment once a week. And I still can't figure-out how to proceed to the Trail after arriving by Amtrak in Roanoke. I am an inveterate endurance athlete and hike 24 miles at a time 5 or 6 times in the warm weather. Between now and August I will need to determine exactly what shoes I will wear, either boot or high top sneakers. Again, any and all comments welcomed. This is who I am, and thanks for asking. Peace, love and tolerance of others is (my) code....

burningrabbit
01-06-2014, 14:09
Hi Carl. Jack Hewitt, newbie. What can you tell me about the SNP, which I intend to hike through this August 2014? I'm taking the train from Wisconsin to Roanoke and hiking to Harpers Ferry and back. If you feel generous, share some tips with me. I would love to hook up with you, but that is secondary. Thanks Brother.

marylandmymaryland
01-06-2014, 14:12
Hey y'all! My name is Trey or "A Boy Named Mary". I'm a 23 year old college student that has hiked ~200 miles of the AT. I've done NoVA>MD>SoPA. I've also done some hiking out west around Bryce, the Grand Canyon, and Zion, in Canada, and in Ireland. I've posted a few times here but would like to get more active. Cheers!

HikerMom58
01-06-2014, 15:20
Awesome!! THanks for the bump DH!

burningrabbit- you are in luck! When you arrive in Roanoke, I would be more than happy to shuttle you to the trail. No prob. You sound like a fun person! :D I hope you can hook up with Carl! This is great!!

maryland... I'm just going to call you- mmm! I've seen you post on here before!! :) Hey- jump on in whenever you can!! :>)

Nice to have you!!

Deer Hunter
01-06-2014, 15:35
Hi Carl. Jack Hewitt, newbie. What can you tell me about the SNP, which I intend to hike through this August 2014? I'm taking the train from Wisconsin to Roanoke and hiking to Harpers Ferry and back. If you feel generous, share some tips with me. I would love to hook up with you, but that is secondary. Thanks Brother.

Anything specific you would like to know about SNP?

Deer Hunter
01-06-2014, 15:38
Awesome!! THanks for the bump DH!

burningrabbit- you are in luck! When you arrive in Roanoke, I would be more than happy to shuttle you to the trail. No prob. You sound like a fun person! :D I hope you can hook up with Carl! This is great!!

maryland... I'm just going to call you- mmm! I've seen you post on here before!! :) Hey- jump on in whenever you can!! :>)

Nice to have you!!

Somehow I knew you would volunteer to pick up BR. :)

Prime Time
01-06-2014, 15:39
Welcome all!! Thanks for introducing yourselves, so happy to meet you!!

Prime Time.... Thanks for posting! :) I lived in Whitefield NH when I was in 3rd grade. That's not too far from Sugar Hill, NH. I always think about that when I see you on here. I love ur trail name too. I had no idea you did a thru in 2013... CONGRATS!! :D
Yes, thanks, HikerMom. I remember you were nice enough to offer me a ride back to Damascus for Trail Days from Daleville but it didn't work out because of a prior commitment you had. I wound up getting a ride with a vendor buddy who also happens to live in Sugar Hill that drove down, so all was well! If you need anything on your White Mountain Trip that I can help you with, just let me know. A slack, a ride, anything.

ChinMusic
01-06-2014, 15:47
I am Uncle Si. You may have seen me on TV. I like tea.

Actually, I am from Illinois and just completed my first thruhike (AT) in 2013. I discovered my love of hiking about 12 years ago and have been slowly upping the ante, with trips to Glacier, Alaska, Yosemite/Inyo at the top of my list. I learned that I like long-distance hiking/backpacking and hope to continue doing it as long as my health holds up. I may mumble and grumble on the trail but deep down love the struggle.

I have the JMT penciled in for 2014 as well as a descent section hike prior to Trail Days. I have loose plans for a PCT attempt in 2015 unless a buddy of mine talks me into a cross-country bike ride. I will be getting my first taste of multi-day biking when I do RAGBRAI in July.

prain4u
01-06-2014, 19:09
Howdy, y'all! I am Jon Prain--and I am a pastor. (Hence the name, prain4u). I am also the director of a small drug and alcohol treatment center. I live in Illinois--but am a northern Wisconsin native. I am married (almost 24 years) with two children ages 14 and 20. (The 20 year old is visually impaired and the 14 year old is severely autistic. More about that in a moment). I am age 52. I did my first hike at age nine or ten. (So, you do the math). I have many years (and many miles) of hiking and camping experience--but only somewhat limited AT hiking. My work and family situation (with two special needs kids) currently limits my ability to have an AT thru hike or month-long section hikes. In a couple years, I envision having the chance to get to the AT and log significantly more AT miles. (I live a 12-24 hour drive from most places on the AT. So, it takes me time and effort to get there. Therefore, no weekend AT hikes for me.). I joined WhiteBlaze over five years ago. There will be times when I am on WhiteBlaze often and posting with regularity. Then, I will take a break and not log in to WB for several months. Nice to read about all of you!

Ewok11
01-06-2014, 19:29
Hi all! I'm a somewhat new (hasn't been quite a year yet) and somewhat actively inactive member here. I tend to lurk and read a lot but not post very often. I've sectioned all of GA just not at one time and portions of NC. I had the privilege of growing up a stones throw from most of the GA section of the AT and had a fairly active family, so we spent a lot of time on the trail. I have plans to hike the entire AT one day but they're very loose plans right now because my husband is in a committed relationship with Uncle Sam for a while longer yet; and it's a goal I would like to share with him. So, I have to wait until they have a (hopefully) amicable break up before I can even begin to narrow down a window of time. Uncle Sam has been nice enough to give me the opportunity to see the country along side my husband and hike places I never dreamed of seeing (the Pacific Northwest will always hold a special place in my heart for the scenery alone).

Drybones
01-06-2014, 19:37
Somehow I knew you would volunteer to pick up BR. :)

Gotta love her...one of these days I've gotta meet this lady. Thanks to her and all those that go out of their way to help others....blessings!

BuckeyeBill
01-06-2014, 20:10
Hello everyone I am Bill from Ohio, therefore I am Buckeye Bill. I am in the early stages of planning a thru hike in 2018. I have really learned a lot since joining WB and continue to enjoy reading about everyone's gear list choices and advice.

Deer Hunter
01-06-2014, 20:33

Actually, I am from Illinois and just completed my first thruhike (AT) in 2013. I discovered my love of hiking about 12 years ago and have been slowly upping the ante, with trips to Glacier, Alaska, Yosemite/Inyo at the top of my list. I learned that I like long-distance hiking/backpacking and hope to continue doing it as long as my health holds up. I may mumble and grumble on the trail but deep down love the struggle.

I have the JMT penciled in for 2014 as well as a descent section hike prior to Trail Days. I have loose plans for a PCT attempt in 2015 unless a buddy of mine talks me into a cross-country bike ride. I will be getting my first taste of multi-day biking when I do RAGBRAI in July.

Your plans sound like fun, Chin. I hope it works out for ya.

Traffic Jam
01-06-2014, 20:53

I want to ride RAGBRAI! I have friends who did it last year and had a blast.

aficion
01-06-2014, 21:39

Hey Mom! Charlie here. I've been enjoying the woods ever since I can remember. Done about 500 mi of the AT and looking forward to the rest with relish. Will most likely make my first thru attempt SOBO in 2016 or 17. Have greatly enjoyed getting to know many cyber hiker friends here over the past decade. I have learned a lot, lightened my load a time or two, and shared what I could when it made sense to me. Looking forward to getting up with you and DH when it warms up a bit.

Deer Hunter
01-06-2014, 21:58
Hey Mom! Charlie here. I've been enjoying the woods ever since I can remember. Done about 500 mi of the AT and looking forward to the rest with relish. Will most likely make my first thru attempt SOBO in 2016 or 17. Have greatly enjoyed getting to know many cyber hiker friends here over the past decade. I have learned a lot, lightened my load a time or two, and shared what I could when it made sense to me. Looking forward to getting up with you and DH when it warms up a bit.

Good to see ya posting again. Looking forward to the spring hike.

minda
01-06-2014, 22:15
Hi all! I'm a somewhat new (hasn't been quite a year yet) and somewhat actively inactive member here. I tend to lurk and read a lot but not post very often. I've sectioned all of GA just not at one time and portions of NC. I had the privilege of growing up a stones throw from most of the GA section of the AT and had a fairly active family, so we spent a lot of time on the trail. I have plans to hike the entire AT one day but they're very loose plans right now because my husband is in a committed relationship with Uncle Sam for a while longer yet; and it's a goal I would like to share with him. So, I have to wait until they have a (hopefully) amicable break up before I can even begin to narrow down a window of time. Uncle Sam has been nice enough to give me the opportunity to see the country along side my husband and hike places I never dreamed of seeing (the Pacific Northwest will always hold a special place in my heart for the scenery alone).

It seems our spouse's share the same mistress! We've done quite a bit of hiking in the PNW, as well. Hubs grew up outside of Seattle (his family is still there) so we hike any time we are out that way. Beautiful!

HikerMom58
01-06-2014, 23:00
Yay!!! :banana

Thank you Drybones... I'll look forward to meeting you 2 one day!! AFICION... good to see you buddy!! :sun

Teacher & Snacktime
01-06-2014, 23:24

Come with us this spring, Aficin. HikerMom, DeerHunter, JohnnyBGoode, Snacktime and I are taking 2 hikes in SNP. There's an open Group about it if you're interested.

HikerMom58
01-07-2014, 07:32
Yes, thanks, HikerMom. I remember you were nice enough to offer me a ride back to Damascus for Trail Days from Daleville but it didn't work out because of a prior commitment you had. I wound up getting a ride with a vendor buddy who also happens to live in Sugar Hill that drove down, so all was well! If you need anything on your White Mountain Trip that I can help you with, just let me know. A slack, a ride, anything.

Good to know Prime Time... thank you so much for ur kind offer!! :D I will def. take you up on that when I get to NH.

Yes, I couldn't shuttle you to Trail Days b/c I was hiking in PA... looks like that's happening again this year too! :(

Sweet!! Welcome in Ewok11!

Howdy, y'all! I am Jon Prain--and I am a pastor. (Hence the name, prain4u). I am also the director of a small drug and alcohol treatment center. I live in Illinois--but am a northern Wisconsin native. I am married (almost 24 years) with two children ages 14 and 20. (The 20 year old is visually impaired and the 14 year old is severely autistic. More about that in a moment). I am age 52. I did my first hike at age nine or ten. (So, you do the math). I have many years (and many miles) of hiking and camping experience--but only somewhat limited AT hiking. My work and family situation (with two special needs kids) currently limits my ability to have an AT thru hike or month-long section hikes. In a couple years, I envision having the chance to get to the AT and log significantly more AT miles. (I live a 12-24 hour drive from most places on the AT. So, it takes me time and effort to get there. Therefore, no weekend AT hikes for me.). I joined WhiteBlaze over five years ago. There will be times when I am on WhiteBlaze often and posting with regularity. Then, I will take a break and not log in to WB for several months. Nice to read about all of you!

Nice to hear from you again! :)

aficion
01-07-2014, 08:02
Come with us this spring, Aficin. HikerMom, DeerHunter, JohnnyBGoode, Snacktime and I are taking 2 hikes in SNP. There's an open Group about it if you're interested.

Thanks DH , HM, and Teach! Love to join the fun if it works out for either or both hikes. Will check the group thread.:)

fins1838
01-07-2014, 08:10
Hello. I'm Gary. Been on WB for a couple years. Hiked MD., Southern Va., Northern Pa., & W. Va. I like puppies, long walks on the beach, sunsets, & deep conversations :rolleyes:

Dinendir
01-07-2014, 08:38
Hello, I'm Kilian a marine biology student and I'm from Belgium. I have always been drawn to nature, and I love to hike/walk in the scraps of nature that we have left over here. You American guys have no idea how lucky you are, you have nature (and mountains) that lasts for more than a few kilometers/miles without crossing a major highway. But for the moment I'm still satisfied with what we have in Europe.
I have some of experience with multi-day hiking (Wales, Norway, Belgium) but the plan is to increase this in the coming years. I'm also planning an AT thru-hike in 2016, I graduate in June 2015, so I'm already saving money to get to the States. The pull of the trail is strong but for now trailjournals will have to be sufficient.

I have been reading on whiteblaze for a few months and I have learned an immense amount of things for which I would like to thank all of you.
happy hiking and see you in 2016

Lucy Lulu
01-07-2014, 09:24
Hi All!

I've been an avid hiker since literally as long as I can remember. My aunt and uncle hiked the AT years ago, and I can still recall slowly opening the closet in the front hallway to stare at my aunt's worn old leather boots. I was in awe, and she was my first hero as a small child. I've hiked trails out west and here on the east coast, and I don't think there is one yet I've not found at least a part to love. Thank you for letting my be a part of this community. I look forward to continuing to learn about my addiction I love most...:-).

2ndCharter
01-07-2014, 11:48
Greetings Everyone!

My name is Steve and my forum name is just the name I use on every forum. I've not yet found the perfect moniker for the trail. When I was younger, I competed in several endurance hikes in Europe, most of which were 62 miles in under 24 hours and another which was about 120 miles in 4 days. I haven't really hiked much since those days.

Flash forward and I have a house full of boys who are ready to blaze their own trails with Dad in tow. The improvements to gear in that time are astounding. I've been excited to see the changes in weight, materials and perspectives in the last 20 years.

12TH Man
01-07-2014, 19:29

Hi Jack, Ask any questions. I am happily retired. So time is flexible. Be glad to help with logistics. gravesc705@gmail might be easiest.

12TH Man
01-07-2014, 19:45
Hello everyone! I'm Minda, or Mud Pie - thanks to my tendency to land face first in the mud. My husband & I are forced to section hike until he retires from the Army & our son finishes school. We're four hours from Springer and have been trying to get on the trail as often as possible. We've done quite a bit of hiking in the Olympic Mountains as well as here in Georgia. My favorite hike of all time was the Samarian Gorge in Crete, Greece.

Hi Minda, I hiked the Gorge some time ago. '95. Downhill thankfully. As an ex paratrooper; I paid my respects at the German paratrooper cemetery and monument. (US Paratrooper)

12TH Man
01-07-2014, 19:57
Hello. I'm Gary. Been on WB for a couple years. Hiked MD., Southern Va., Northern Pa., & W. Va. I like puppies, long walks on the beach, sunsets, & deep conversations :rolleyes:
Dude, You scare me.

Drybones
01-07-2014, 21:07
Dude, You scare me.

+1..................

12TH Man
01-07-2014, 22:49
Hello! I was a lurker for a looooong time before I got the courage to start posting (I'm a bit shy). I never contribute anything worthwhile but it's fun nevertheless. I've been consistently hiking for 4 years and most of it has been in the Smokey's. Whiteblaze, and everyone here, has given me the courage to branch out and try new places. I'm planning on sectioning the BMT next year and doing some AT sections.

TJ Whats up with the PerpWalk look?

minda
01-09-2014, 06:29
Hi Minda, I hiked the Gorge some time ago. '95. Downhill thankfully. As an ex paratrooper; I paid my respects at the German paratrooper cemetery and monument. (US Paratrooper)

I hiked it back in 91 when I was at Souda Bay NAS. I think all hiking trails should end at a beach where there is plenty of wine & beer.

And thank you for your service. A paratrooper's life is not always easy. I used to sit in the ER at Ft. Bragg in shock at the injuries I saw coming in after a jump. My husband's old roommate still has some issues from a head trauma that left him with amnesia. Y'all are true warriors.

Parkie Man
01-09-2014, 14:28
This is Parkie Man. Diagnosed with PD on my 50th Bday. Doesnt keep me off the trail yet. My son and I are planning a half thru this summer when he gets out of school and do the rest next year.

So if you see someone on the trail this summer that looks like he is cold all the time....that be me.

12TH Man
01-09-2014, 21:59
I hiked it back in 91 when I was at Souda Bay NAS. I think all hiking trails should end at a beach where there is plenty of wine & beer.

And thank you for your service. A paratrooper's life is not always easy. I used to sit in the ER at Ft. Bragg in shock at the injuries I saw coming in after a jump. My husband's old roommate still has some issues from a head trauma that left him with amnesia. Y'all are true warriors.

Thanks Minda, Souda Bay was incredible from a distance. They wouldn't admit paratroopers. Worried about the neighborhood.
I spent time in the ER there at FB after landing on a immoveable piece of armor. The tankers decided they didn't need to chemlite
on an absolutely pitch black combat equip night jump.
Life has been fun.

12TH Man
01-09-2014, 22:16

Minda, Thank you and your husband for your service. Your husband spend any time in north GA barking at the moon?

HikerMom58
01-09-2014, 23:32
Thanks Minda, Souda Bay was incredible from a distance. They wouldn't admit paratroopers. Worried about the neighborhood.
I spent time in the ER there at FB after landing on a immoveable piece of armor. The tankers decided they didn't need to chemlite
on an absolutely pitch black combat equip night jump.
Life has been fun.

*Ouch* Thanks for your service Carl! :)

12TH Man
01-10-2014, 00:29
*Ouch* Thanks for your service Carl! :)

No. Thank you Mom!

norts
01-10-2014, 05:04
G'day, I'm Roger, from Tasmania. I have been bushwalking seriously for about 13 years here in Tassie. I live in the hills of the East Coast on a 10 acre bush block.
I started my walking career in 1972 when my Dad took me into Lake Pedder to see it before it was flooded by a hydro dam.Then just a walk here and there until we( wife and 2 boys) came back to Tassie in 2001.
Work wise I have been a driller,roughneck, soldier, Local Government Inspector, and alot of temporary jobs when I was hitching around Australia.
I have had the AT in the back of my mind for along time but never thought I would be able to get enough time to actually do it. Then I was made redundant in 2012, had a panic attack then realised I didnt need to work, we had enough money to live on. Then I had light bulb moment, I have the time to do the AT. So I fly out to Atlanta on the 18 Mar this year.
I have been lurking around WB for a while getting info.
I am pretty experienced at bushwalking in Tassie , so I am hoping most of my skills will be of use on the AT.

I also do a Photo of the Day email, sent out most work days. I send out to about 40 ppl it is always of bushwalking in Tassie, and always from a walk I was on. If anyone is interested in seeing a bit of Tassie bush just let me know and I can add you to the list.
Hope to see some of you on the track, sorry trail. When I get back from the AT my walking mates are going to give me hell because I will be calling all the tracks trails.

Roger

minda
01-10-2014, 06:40
Minda, Thank you and your husband for your service. Your husband spend any time in north GA barking at the moon?

My crazy husband spends most of his time barking at the moon, but not in the way you mean. LOL.

BTW, is your "12th man" a Seahawks reference?

minda
01-10-2014, 07:41

My crazy husband spends most of his time barking at the moon, but not in the way you mean. LOL.

ihavea4
01-10-2014, 09:20
Hey guys, my name is DJ. I've been lurking here for about a year, and finally decided to sign up. I'm hoping to do a thru sometime in the next couple of years, but i can't afford it yet. Until then i'm gathering my gear together and trying to find ways to get outside.

Tharwood
01-10-2014, 09:55
Tharwood.. Haven't been on since fall of 13... But I still see some of the same people. Hikermom.. birdbrain, Tipiwater.

HikerMom58
01-10-2014, 10:04
This is Parkie Man. Diagnosed with PD on my 50th Bday. Doesnt keep me off the trail yet. My son and I are planning a half thru this summer when he gets out of school and do the rest next year.

So if you see someone on the trail this summer that looks like he is cold all the time....that be me.

Hey Parkie Man... God Bless you buddy! Good for you getting out there... Love it!! That's great you can get out there with your son too! Thanks for sharing with us!! :sun

HikerMom58
01-10-2014, 10:09
Tharwood.. Haven't been on since fall of 13... But I still see some of the same people. Hikermom.. birdbrain, Tipiwater.

Tharwood... Hey there!! Great to "see" you! ;) Yes, we are all still here in some fashion! Hope all is well with ya! Don't be a stranger anymore! I'll let Birdbrain know you are here too! :)

squeezebox
01-10-2014, 12:56
I'm squeezebox, I play the English version of Irish button accordion. not piano accordion. thus the name. Folk dancer. I've been a carpenter , old houses, and an RN. currently unemployed. Long seperated from a verbally abusive wife. Son off to College. He learned her abusive style. I'm hoping the time on the trail will clear my head of depression. Nothing big holding me here in St. Louis. Time to go somewhere and figure who I basically am and where I want to be / go. The AT might be faster and cheaper than therapy. Today is grey and cold, I'm in kinda a funk.

Berserker
01-10-2014, 13:31
Berserker here…been a member of WB for quite a while. I come on here mostly to get and share info, and for entertainment. I’ve been working on the AT one piece at a time since the end of ’07, and I’m almost half way done mileage wise. I’ve hiked in all the states except NH and ME (haven’t hit much of MA yet either), and plan to get into NH this year. I’ve been knocking the sections down on weekends and via one longer (1 – 2 weeks) hike per year. I took last year off to do the JMT (you can check out my trip report of that hike here: http://www.trailjournals.com/Berserker/).

I do aspire to do a thru hike of some trail at some point, however I’m married with two children and working on raising them so no time for an extended vacation right now. When I do get the opportunity I’d like to section or thru hike the PCT. I may also consider attempting a thru of the AT at some point.

Feral Bill
01-10-2014, 13:31
I'm Bill. I got my backpacking start in Harriman SP in the late sixties, and have hiked all over since. I hope to do a short section, including Harriman, this summer, and thru in two or three years. Meanwhile, I'm teaching high school science and enjoying my family.

psyon27
01-10-2014, 13:58
Hello!
Been lurking on here for a few months now, absorbing as much as I can. Stationed at Ft Meade, which is a new environment since I'm Active Duty Air Force. Originally from Upstate New York.

Most of my camping has been car camping as a Boy Scout. Looking to go lighter to get further into the woods! Lots of great info on here. Would like to try a through of the AT when I get out of the military, as I can't exactly get 6 months off until I do lol. In the meantime I plan on slowly regearing and trying small hikes to work myself up to some of the smaller long trails (ie. Long Trail, 100 Mile Wilderness, small sections of the AT).

Ken

4Days
01-10-2014, 15:57
Hello all. I am CarryOn(trail name) I am sure others use it but that's the name I have always wanted. My last hike was hiking thru Baxter State Park with my soon to be wife, 25 years ago!!!! 3 kids later and we are back to our first love - the wilderness! We carried external frame packs with the cheapest (heavy/unreliable) gear and lots of food and beer. Now, with all new gear we are carrying just enough to keep the pack weights down.

This will be a test year for us. I am a trail maintainer for the MA Mid State trail, a 92 mile trail that goes thru central MA from NH to RI. So we will be doing that. If all goes well then we have our eyes on the Long Trail in VT. Then the pilgrimage of the AT. We may do three weeks at a time, section hiking, but who knows.

We live in central MA near the Mid State trail
:jump

Tharwood
01-10-2014, 16:53
Great to hear from you too.. Yes .. It has been a while.. lol Thanks for the welcome back .

Deer Hunter
01-10-2014, 17:32
I'm squeezebox, I play the English version of Irish button accordion. not piano accordion. thus the name. Folk dancer. I've been a carpenter , old houses, and an RN. currently unemployed. Long seperated from a verbally abusive wife. Son off to College. He learned her abusive style. I'm hoping the time on the trail will clear my head of depression. Nothing big holding me here in St. Louis. Time to go somewhere and figure who I basically am and where I want to be / go. The AT might be faster and cheaper than therapy. Today is grey and cold, I'm in kinda a funk.

Hope you get it all figured out. I went through a divorce several years ago. Thats when I got into hiking. Hiking wasn't a cure-all for me but it definately helped me then and still does now.

aficion
01-10-2014, 18:27

Hey Squeeze box and welcome. Your introduction hit close to home. My marriage ended several years ago for similar reasons. My oldest son, who has struggled to overcome a learned tendency to be kind of mean, asked me this morning if we could go fishing. Grey, cold, rainy day...his school cancelled due to ice this morning. Long story short we went and fished Jennings Creek where the AT crosses it.... saw many trout....caught one... but mainly had fun, and healed up a bit. Give it time.:)

crispy2104
01-10-2014, 18:41
Hi, I'm Chad. I have been lurking for almost 2yrs. Learning a lot from the active members! Thank-you all.

I live in NH, I'm going to start section hike the AT this spring.

When my children (10&2) are older I would like to thur-hike the AT.

Sent from my LG-VS410PP using Tapatalk 2

windels11
01-11-2014, 00:28
Hi ! I'm Conor! I'm an a high schooler that is completely addicted to the hiking and the A.T. I am on the track to graduate a semester early to thru hike the trail in 2017! I always love learning new things so if you have any cool facts or info I'm always glad to hear it!!

Koozy
01-11-2014, 08:30
Hi everybody! I'm pleased to say that just yesterday I requested my leave of absence from work and was surprisingly given approval to start my NOBO thru hike this April. I'll be going by the trail name of Clark Kent since my last name translates to Man of Steel. Looking forward to meeting some of you out on the trail.

fins1838
01-11-2014, 10:27
Dude, You scare me.
Fear no more. GO SEAHAWKS

HikerMom58
01-11-2014, 14:16
This is great!! Nice to meet all of you! I'm happy for those that are going to be hiking in the class of 2014 and beyond.... WTG.

It's also nice to hear from those that are struggling too. It's not all good, all the time, for everyone. We can help out each other when we can relate. Thanks to those that did just that... you know who you are! :)

squeezebox- my mom plays the accordion also! :>) I love to hear her play! Also, the trail can help, in the healing process, of what you describe you are going through. Believe me, I know this to be true personally. :)

58starter
01-11-2014, 17:45
Hi, I am Russell, 62 and a section hiker, I have made it from Springer Mt, Ga to Dennis Cove in the last 4 years. Since I live in Florida it is hard for me to get to the trail often. I hike a couple times a year and always try to be hiking somewhere on my birthday( March 19th). This year I hope to hike from Dennis Cove to Damascus. Hope to see some of you on the trail someday.

aficion
01-11-2014, 19:51
Hi, I am Russell, 62 and a section hiker, I have made it from Springer Mt, Ga to Dennis Cove in the last 4 years. Since I live in Florida it is hard for me to get to the trail often. I hike a couple times a year and always try to be hiking somewhere on my birthday( March 19th). This year I hope to hike from Dennis Cove to Damascus. Hope to see some of you on the trail someday.

Coincidence... My oldest son's birthday is March 19th...he'll be 16....we both hope to see you out there.....a little further north.

HarderthanNails
01-13-2014, 01:40
Hey all, im Jackson. Im 16 years old and planing a thru hike for 2015. Gota start planning early because of school. Live up in the white mountains plenty of hiking up here!! Hope to see some people on the trail!

HikerMom58
01-13-2014, 07:37
Hey Jackson... Cool! You are from Jackson, NH!! I love New Hampshire... I was lived in Nashua, Littleton, Whitefield and Plymouth NH. WElCOME to WB!

LittleRock
01-13-2014, 09:08
Hey all, name's LittleRock, from NC. Section hiked from Springer to about 50 miles shy of Damascus. Looking forward to going back out in 2014, finishing TN and going over Mt. Rodgers.

skinnbones
01-13-2014, 09:32
Hello Hiker mom. My long time dream of hiking the Appalachian Trail will hopefully happen in 2015. I have never back packed nor hiked over 15 miles (The army forced me to walk those 15 miles, lol). I have studied and read so much over the years about this trail that I feel like an expert. I'm learning much more here on White Blaze. Have a great day!

HikerMom58
01-13-2014, 09:53
Hello Hiker mom. My long time dream of hiking the Appalachian Trail will hopefully happen in 2015. I have never back packed nor hiked over 15 miles (The army forced me to walk those 15 miles, lol). I have studied and read so much over the years about this trail that I feel like an expert. I'm learning much more here on White Blaze. Have a great day!

Howdy skinnbones :) I see you are in the Sunshine State. :sun Hopefully you will get the chance to backpack/hike the AT sometime soon.
I believe WB has a Florida Trail Forum if you wanted to backpack on that trail, there's a lot of great information on there as well.

Nice to have you here!

When you embark/return from your first hiking trip be sure to come on here and tell us all about it! Have a great Monday!
Thank you! :)

imscotty
01-13-2014, 12:17
Hello Whiteblaze and HikerMom,

My name is Scott and I live just north of Boston with my wife and three kids.

I can remember the day I first learned of the AT. Sometime around 1972 when I was 12 or 13 my mother gave me the National Geographic book, 'The Appalachian Trail' by Ronald Fisher. The photographs and the stories of the people and communities along the trail really drew me in. I suppose I have been dreaming about thru-hiking the AT ever since. But shame on me`, I am now 54 and so far it is still just a dream.

My hiking experience has been limited to mostly fair weather weekend forays in the Whites and Vermont. Right now I am working on sectioning the Long Trail north of the Maine Junction. I did not get much hiking accomplished this past summer and so far I have only made it as far Camel's Hump and the Winooski River. I've been having a great time, though.

If I am ever to fulfill this childhood ambition of mine I need to get going; time waits for no man! I have begun putting together some of the gear I will need for a long distance and I have been learning what I can from your collective wisdom. But..... family will always come first. I will have two kids in college next year and my youngest is 14. I need to keep working so a thru-hike is not in the cards for now. I do not expect to be able to retire for another 14 years when I will be 68.

So I am reaching a point in my life where I need to choose a direction in all this. Will I be just a sorry daydreaming pack-snider? Will I live my childhood dream? I am coming to the conclusion that hiking the AT in a couple of big sections would be a more realistic approach for me to take. At my current rate of physical decline there is no way I will be in any shape for a thru-hike at the age of 68. So, I am thinking about starting with Springer to Damascus in 2015. We wall see.

Scott

Deer Hunter
01-13-2014, 13:32
Hello Whiteblaze and HikerMom,

My name is Scott and I live just north of Boston with my wife and three kids.

I can remember the day I first learned of the AT. Sometime around 1972 when I was 12 or 13 my mother gave me the National Geographic book, 'The Appalachian Trail' by Ronald Fisher. The photographs and the stories of the people and communities along the trail really drew me in. I suppose I have been dreaming about thru-hiking the AT ever since. But shame on me`, I am now 54 and so far it is still just a dream.

My hiking experience has been limited to mostly fair weather weekend forays in the Whites and Vermont. Right now I am working on sectioning the Long Trail north of the Maine Junction. I did not get much hiking accomplished this past summer and so far I have only made it as far Camel's Hump and the Winooski River. I've been having a great time, though.

If I am ever to fulfill this childhood ambition of mine I need to get going; time waits for no man! I have begun putting together some of the gear I will need for a long distance and I have been learning what I can from your collective wisdom. But..... family will always come first. I will have two kids in college next year and my youngest is 14. I need to keep working so a thru-hike is not in the cards for now. I do not expect to be able to retire for another 14 years when I will be 68.

So I am reaching a point in my life where I need to choose a direction in all this. Will I be just a sorry daydreaming pack-snider? Will I live my childhood dream? I am coming to the conclusion that hiking the AT in a couple of big sections would be a more realistic approach for me to take. At my current rate of physical decline there is no way I will be in any shape for a thru-hike at the age of 68. So, I am thinking about starting with Springer to Damascus in 2015. We wall see.

Scott

Dark Shadows fan? That show used to give me nightmares when I was a kid.

HikerMom58
01-13-2014, 14:25
Dark Shadows fan? That show used to give me nightmares when I was a kid.

Omgosh.. I remember that as well.... "the shadow knows".... LOL! I just googled... I remember hearing about that TV show but I never watched it. I remembered the radio show.. the shadow knows..

Thanks for popping on here, imscotty. I've "seen" you around. Nice to get to know you! If you can pull off from Springer to Damascus hike... you'll love it. I hope you can! :)

Spirit Bear
01-13-2014, 14:29
I don't really an official Trail name as of yet. Nothing has stuck. My name is Randy, my friends call me Randoe and I have always refused to acknowledge that name. It's probably going to end up being my trial name.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-13-2014, 15:25
Do they call you Randoe because you are a dear (deer)?

mdschill
01-13-2014, 15:47
Hi, i'm Mike and i go by Pack Mule on the trail. My son and i do a section of the AT every spring break and sometimes in late summer, and we are gradually getting the whole thing hiked. He tells me when he graduates from high school he's going to through-hike the whole thing. As for me, i am doing some long-range planning for the John Muir Trail in fall of 2015 -- scrimping and saving, and trying to convince my girlfriend to accompany me. I've been lurking on WB for a few years now, and i have learned a lot of really useful things, so thanks WB community!

58starter
01-13-2014, 16:15
Coincidence I am from Calhoun, Ky. In 2012 I came to eastern Ky and hiked 3 sections of the Sheltowee Trace. The group is doing it again this year.
I do not know if you have hiked it or not but it is a lot like Ga just not the climbs.

sasquatchinlaw
01-13-2014, 16:49
Hi im Eric. Just joined so ive been lurking around quite a bit. Im hoping to do some hiking on the AT in march.

johnnybgood
01-13-2014, 17:52
Hello Hikermom, quite a little thread you got going on here. It sort of taken on wings and soared. :)

Deer Hunter
01-13-2014, 18:00
Omgosh.. I remember that as well.... "the shadow knows".... LOL! I just googled... I remember hearing about that TV show but I never watched it. I remembered the radio show.. the shadow knows..

Thanks for popping on here, imscotty. I've "seen" you around. Nice to get to know you! If you can pull off from Springer to Damascus hike... you'll love it. I hope you can! :)

I wasn't allowed to watch it but I would sneak and watch it when I could. Yeah I know that doesn't make sense. Why watch a show if it gives me nightmares? I was a kid so..........

geomaniac
01-13-2014, 18:44
Hi Hiker Mom..Ive been lurking here for a couple of years now, So I guess its about time I introduce myself. Im Tom aka Geo( Im really into geology) I live in Columbus, Ga and am geared up and ready for a March 15 start of my thru. Finding it hard to wait!

2ndCharter
01-13-2014, 22:09
Hello!
Been lurking on here for a few months now, absorbing as much as I can. Stationed at Ft Meade, which is a new environment since I'm Active Duty Air Force. Originally from Upstate New York.

Most of my camping has been car camping as a Boy Scout. Looking to go lighter to get further into the woods! Lots of great info on here. Would like to try a through of the AT when I get out of the military, as I can't exactly get 6 months off until I do lol. In the meantime I plan on slowly regearing and trying small hikes to work myself up to some of the smaller long trails (ie. Long Trail, 100 Mile Wilderness, small sections of the AT).

Ken

Hi Ken. I'm a former active duty zoomie. What, may I enqiure, do you do?

HikerMom58
01-13-2014, 22:38
Hello Hikermom, quite a little thread you got going on here. It sort of taken on wings and soared. :)

Thanks johnnybgood! :) It's the MEMBER'S thread! We own it- We are awesome!

Thanks all for introducing yourselves... it's FUN!

Hi Hiker Mom..Ive been lurking here for a couple of years now, So I guess its about time I introduce myself. Im Tom aka Geo( Im really into geology) I live in Columbus, Ga and am geared up and ready for a March 15 start of my thru. Finding it hard to wait!

Hi geomaniac... Why yes, I would say its about time! ;) I like geology better than biology.. I do like it! . :>)

Congrats on you upcoming hike! If you have a journal or online blog, feel free to post it here. We love to live vicariously through AT hikers. We all try to get out & hike ourselves every now & then! :p

Welcome in....

Thanks for your service psyon27 and 2ndCharter!

Treehuggerva
01-14-2014, 13:36
Hi HikeMom,

Moved to Copper Hill, Virginia this year. Sectioned hiked over 95% of the AT from the late 70's until the summer of 2012. It was a great adventure.
The changes in the hiker gear were most interesting to watch over the last 30 years. The one item everyone packed and shared was a bar of soap to rub on the bottom of the cook pots. Many people in the 70's/early 80's rubbed the bottom of their pots before cooking to help with clean up of soot. A fire was made for everyone to cook, coals from the fire moved to the side with cook grates at many fire rings... the soap was handed around for all. Many a time you could walk up to a shelter and find a bar of soap.
The other thing I remember was we all wore flannel and wool...and carried big canteens....my first hiking bag was a WWII down army bag from my Great Uncle. I gave that up for his wool army blanket after the down was soaked. It is hard to believe at 18 I could fit in that thing with another person;-) with snow on the ground and wrapped heated rocks keeping two silly heads in a make shift lean-to warm.
oh well..;-)
In planning my hikes I was always appreciative of the people who would shuttle me so I could hike back to my car. Virginia, 541 miles, took me five years to do. Now that I am retired...and no longer backpack.. except winter...I thought I would try my hand at shuttling north and south of Roanoke. That would include the part of the AT on the Parkway. I enjoy driving...since I drove back and forth from SC to the trail until I got part way into MA...then I flew...love the woods, do not mind sitting with a good book and some trail magic on the side of the AT waiting. ...so If anyone needs a shuttle and we can schedule it...I am going to try my hand at it and see how it goes... contact - [email protected]
Treehuggerva

HikerMom58
01-14-2014, 14:58
Hi HikeMom,

Moved to Copper Hill, Virginia this year. Sectioned hiked over 95% of the AT from the late 70's until the summer of 2012. It was a great adventure.
The changes in the hiker gear were most interesting to watch over the last 30 years. The one item everyone packed and shared was a bar of soap to rub on the bottom of the cook pots. Many people in the 70's/early 80's rubbed the bottom of their pots before cooking to help with clean up of soot. A fire was made for everyone to cook, coals from the fire moved to the side with cook grates at many fire rings... the soap was handed around for all. Many a time you could walk up to a shelter and find a bar of soap.
The other thing I remember was we all wore flannel and wool...and carried big canteens....my first hiking bag was a WWII down army bag from my Great Uncle. I gave that up for his wool army blanket after the down was soaked. It is hard to believe at 18 I could fit in that thing with another person;-) with snow on the ground and wrapped heated rocks keeping two silly heads in a make shift lean-to warm.
oh well..;-)
In planning my hikes I was always appreciative of the people who would shuttle me so I could hike back to my car. Virginia, 541 miles, took me five years to do. Now that I am retired...and no longer backpack.. except winter...I thought I would try my hand at shuttling north and south of Roanoke. That would include the part of the AT on the Parkway. I enjoy driving...since I drove back and forth from SC to the trail until I got part way into MA...then I flew...love the woods, do not mind sitting with a good book and some trail magic on the side of the AT waiting. ...so If anyone needs a shuttle and we can schedule it...I am going to try my hand at it and see how it goes... contact - [email protected]
Treehuggerva

Wow, Treehuggerva.. your post is MOST interesting. :) I bet others will enjoy you sharing about, hiking back in the day, as much as I did.:cool:

By all means you can help out with shuttles in the area. We can work together on that! I will tell you that a lot of hikers need a ride back and forth to Damascus for Trail Days. I will be hiking myself again this year, so I can't offer rides. Maybe you would be interested in helping out.

Section hikers need shuttles all the time in this area.

If you enjoy doing it, you should put your name in, at Outdoor Trails, in Daleville too. I don't have mine there. I just shuttle people through word of mouth. I like doing it, like that. Nice to meet you! :)

StovieWander
01-14-2014, 15:19
I have lurked around here a few years, and only recently felt the urge to post anything. I also hope to finish PA this spring, starting North from the trailhead just south of Darlington shelter. I have hiked the AT between Springer Mountain and there, plus NJ, over the last three years. My yo-yo from Pen-Mar to HF and back is my only lightweight backpacking experience, with a cheap book bag as my frameless pack. If you see me, I will probably have an Osprey Exos58, Merrell Moab Ventilator footwear, a rolled up CCF pad, and an alcohol stove of my own design. I was never drafted and never volunteered for military service, respecting my parents' wishes and following my natural inclinations. I am grateful to all who have served. My small contribution to my country is software I wrote and/or maintained for the Army, Navy, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. I currently risk my life and health volunteering for phase 1 clinical trials, which leaves me some free time to hike. I pay for my hiking with my own blood.

psyon27
01-14-2014, 15:37
2ndcharter, SATCOM technician, also some airfield systems experience.

Hikermom, thanks for the support!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

12TH Man
01-14-2014, 20:38

Minda ; dearest darling 12TH Man , refers to the one and only 12T Man. TEXAS A&M, College Station, Texas.

Seahawks and fans are wannabees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

HikerMom58
01-14-2014, 20:38
I have lurked around here a few years, and only recently felt the urge to post anything. I also hope to finish PA this spring, starting North from the trailhead just south of Darlington shelter. I have hiked the AT between Springer Mountain and there, plus NJ, over the last three years. My yo-yo from Pen-Mar to HF and back is my only lightweight backpacking experience, with a cheap book bag as my frameless pack. If you see me, I will probably have an Osprey Exos58, Merrell Moab Ventilator footwear, a rolled up CCF pad, and an alcohol stove of my own design. I was never drafted and never volunteered for military service, respecting my parents' wishes and following my natural inclinations. I am grateful to all who have served. My small contribution to my country is software I wrote and/or maintained for the Army, Navy, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. I currently risk my life and health volunteering for phase 1 clinical trials, which leaves me some free time to hike. I pay for my hiking with my own blood.

Well, we have something in common right away. :) I, too, am planning on finishing up PA this spring. (May) We are starting at the 501 shelter & heading north towards all the rocks. :p

My daughter has done from Springer all the way to 501 shelter in PA skipped NJ & most of NY but has knocked out all of CT & MA.
Then, it's on to VT, NH and ME... I tagged along for part of her hike. If she'll have me, I want to complete the rest of it with her... I'm excited!

Interesting way to pay for ur hiking. :D WElCOME StovieWander... I'm glad you came out of the shadows.. nice to have you here!

12TH Man
01-14-2014, 20:47
Hi Mom.
Always glad to see your post.

HikerMom58
01-14-2014, 20:49
Hi Mom.
Always glad to see your post.

Hi 12TH Man... right back at ya! :)

Treehuggerva
01-14-2014, 20:56
I would be glad to provide shuttles to Damascus for Trail Days. Keep in touch and enjoy your hike.

Your joy of the AT shines in your posts so...I share one of my many quotes collected while hiking just for you.

"It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy."
Horace Kephart Camping and Woodcraft 1917

HikerMom58
01-14-2014, 20:59
I would be glad to provide shuttles to Damascus for Trail Days. Keep in touch and enjoy your hike.

Your joy of the AT shines in your posts so...I share one of my many quotes collected while hiking just for you.

"It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy."
Horace Kephart Camping and Woodcraft 1917

We'll keep in touch! :) I love that quote!! Thanks so much!

Spatchka
01-14-2014, 20:59
Hello HikerMom

Joined the site when I moved to Tennessee and rekindled the urge to attempt the Trail.

Guess I'm a lurker. Solo hike mostly, so it is hard to get info from fellow hikers.

The site has been a big help in gearing up.

Retired once from the Air Force and excited about fully retiring again in July.

Planning to go Southbound ( solo of course...) for 2015.

Spatchka is from ' A Clockwork Orange' meaning ' to sleep '. Got the trail name while hiking in Wales.

HikerMom58
01-14-2014, 21:04
NICE Spatchka...I'd love to visit and hike in the UK!! Welcome in.... hang out with us until ur hike next year & congrats on ur second retirement in July! :D

windels11
01-14-2014, 21:13
Hey all, im Jackson. Im 16 years old and planing a thru hike for 2015. Gota start planning early because of school. Live up in the white mountains plenty of hiking up here!! Hope to see some people on the trail!
Hey ! Someone close to my age!! I'm planning for my thru to be in 2017 when I graduate! It would be awesome to talk To you about the trail and backpacking since your only a year older then me!!

12TH Man
01-14-2014, 21:14
Hi 12TH Man... right back at ya! :)

Life goes the way life goes. Strange being that I am; Thinking about buying a new piper cub.

I've probably got a hundred landings at ROA.

You have been a doll Thank you.

Carl

Rolls Kanardly
01-16-2014, 11:40
HK58, Introduce Yourself....Please, 137 members posted so far. Good job Rolls

HikerMom58
01-16-2014, 11:51
Rolls.. thanks for keeping up with everyone posting on here. :) I hope they can feel the love from all of us.

Matthew82
01-16-2014, 12:54
Hello everyone! My name is Matt

Will be doing my first longer trek on the AT starting this May (Maybe 3 weeks of trail time), and was informed that this is the online community to latch onto to gather needed information and possibly even make a few new acquaintances.

Take care and have a wonderful day. =D

HikerMom58
01-16-2014, 13:33
Hello everyone! My name is Matt

Will be doing my first longer trek on the AT starting this May (Maybe 3 weeks of trail time), and was informed that this is the online community to latch onto to gather needed information and possibly even make a few new acquaintances.

Take care and have a wonderful day. =D

Hey Matt... you were well informed about White Blaze. :) It doesn't get any better than this for gathering backpacking information. I've heard/read the same thing myself about WB. So happy to be here too!

We try to be a friendly bunch too. :>) I've met so many people on here, all great friends!

There's a group heading out this coming weekend to hike together in NY. There will be another thread this Spring for anyone that wants to hike with us in Central VA. (April)

There's a lot of members from MD, I've noticed. MDSection12 for starters... :D If you have any questions about the section of the trail you are planning to hike this May.... ask away!

Have a wonderful day, yourself! :>)

2 Trail Hikers
01-16-2014, 15:47
Hi Everyone I'm Russell my wife is Beth. I'm 39 she's 36, both of us have been career driven practically our whole life. After years of climbing the preverbal corporate ladder it took the passing of my mom after a 3 year battle with brain cancer to make me realize life is too short. In September 2013 we decided to take a huge step and downsize our lives. We are building a small one bedroom house on land next door to my father, the goal is to build this debt free. Once completed we have decided that I will leave a career that has taken me nearly 21 years to achieve.

https://www.facebook.com/2TrailHikers?ref=hl

2 Trail Hikers
01-16-2014, 15:48
Sorry for the double post not sure what happened to my original post.

Hi Everyone I'm Russell my wife is Beth. I'm 39 she's 36, both of us have been career driven practically our whole life. After years of climbing the preverbal corporate ladder it took the passing of my mom after a 3 year battle with brain cancer to make me realize life is too short. In September 2013 we decided to take a huge step and downsize our lives. We are building a small one bedroom house on land next door to my father, the goal is to build this debt free. Once completed we have decided that I will leave a career that has taken me nearly 21 years to achieve. The end goal is to hike a trail we have intentionally avoided every weekend and every vacation with the intention to thru hike it and see it all for the first time. We have done numerous hikes in the past couple of years, and were avid hikers until a back injury sidelined Beth. Several years passed and work got more intense so hiking wasn’t something we were afforded time to do. In a moment of desperation we opted to leave the house and head into western North Carolina for a short day hike, within a few 100 yards we both had that warm joyous feeling and knew this is what we were meant to do. As mom’s illness progressed we spent more time with her as we knew her days were numbered. After her passing we made the commitment to make the dream of the AT a reality. So far we are off to an amazing start our friends have pitched in and helped us build from the ground up and in 3 and a half months we can see the completion of what we call Operation Dream Maker in the very near future. Initially we thought 2015 would be our year, while we are still hopeful we may not finish and recover financially in time for this to happen. Regardless the dream is alive and nothing is going to damper it. We look forward to learning from all the wonderful people here on the forum and sharing in the 2014 hiker’s experience.

https://www.facebook.com/2TrailHikers?ref=hl (https://www.facebook.com/2TrailHikers?ref=hl)

smithjv
01-16-2014, 18:58
Hope I'm not breaking any rules; I'm section hiking.
Trail Name: PACKBACKER (Think NFL football)
Retired from USAF after 28 years, now 10 years working for USAF as a civilian. A couple more until final retirment(?)
Section hiking from Springer for8 days; planned start date 3 May with partner.
Wife not a hiker, but a good sport about it.
Both I and partner (trailname TBD) from Warner Robins GA.
Hope to maybe thru it some day.
Never too late to start.

HikerMom58
01-16-2014, 21:05
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1383071_10151922987863738_1425098016_n.jpg

Woo Hoo 2 Trail Hikers.. welcome.. thanks for sharing your dream with us. I stole this pic from ur fb page, which i liked! :)

smithjv.. ur not breaking any rules at all. Thanks for your service to our country! Have a great hike in May!

DonMecca
01-16-2014, 21:09
hello everyone Donell ,
I've been just reading for the past few months and decided to go ahead and jump into a few conversations. I'll be starting my thru-hike early April so keep an eye out and don't be afraid to say hi to the black guy ;)..lol

HikerMom58
01-16-2014, 21:18
Hey welcome Donell... good for you.. jump in & take a dive into more conversations! Good luck in your thru-hike starting in April. That's AWESOME!

DocMahns
01-17-2014, 00:09
Hey all, my name is Tim. I currently reside in northwest Indiana. A little background; I'm about to attempt a SOBO thruhike after I graduate nursing school this May and take my boards in June. I will be hiking with my fiance. I was in the military for 5 years, used to hiking around a lot of gear. To keep myself in shape for the AT I've been doing trails around here and hiking the sand dunes that grace the shores of Lake Michigan (nothing like hiking up 1000 ft elevation of sand). I've had to live in some pretty rough conditions so I'm hoping that's prepared me for what's in store. I'm excited to be here and excited to start my adventure. Good to be here and hope to come back more knowledgeable and able to contribute to this community!

Foresight
01-17-2014, 00:15
hello everyone Donell ,
I've been just reading for the past few months and decided to go ahead and jump into a few conversations. I'll be starting my thru-hike early April so keep an eye out and don't be afraid to say hi to the black guy ;)..lol

What!?!?!? Black guys don't hike, lol.

Good friend of mine from the Navy was a black guy named Donnell (last name), but the ages are too far apart. Good luck on your hike and please keep a journal if you haven't already decided to do so!

Deer Hunter
01-18-2014, 22:11
^^^^^^^^ :)

Waterbuffalo
01-18-2014, 22:26
Since this post seems to have gone for a while I'll chime in
My name is Mark my trail name is Waterbuffalo I live just north of Atlanta and I have been section hiking since 1997. For the last 11 years on here I have been mostly a lurker except if I see something I want to chime in on.

MDSection12
01-18-2014, 22:28
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1383071_10151922987863738_1425098016_n.jpg
I didn't put deodorant on before hikes, because I didn't want to leave the aluminum or whatever on for days at a time... Next thing I knew I wasn't wearing it at home either. It's an experiment, that my wife doesn't appreciate, but I totally blame hiking. :)

HikerMom58
01-18-2014, 22:42
Since this post seems to have gone for a while I'll chime in
My name is Mark my trail name is Waterbuffalo I live just north of Atlanta and I have been section hiking since 1997. For the last 11 years on here I have been mostly a lurker except if I see something I want to chime in on.

Hi Waterbuffalo... nice to meet you! You can tell by my post count that I find lots of things to chime in on. :eek: 11 years is a long time to hang out on here.. :) I'm glad you stayed!

I didn't put deodorant on before hikes, because I didn't want to leave the aluminum or whatever on for days at a time... Next thing I knew I wasn't wearing it at home either. It's an experiment, that my wife doesn't appreciate, but I totally blame hiking. :)

I would go with the hiking as well, MD. :) Show her this... lol! She might even laugh! ;)

sparkygeek
01-27-2014, 17:48
Howdy to all, I'm Amber and I actually grew up in Blacksburg VA, yet never hiked more than a few miles on the AT at a time with my mother (who always dreamed of thru-hiking but recently had to give up that dream) or with scouts.
Now that I'm in Texas I get the itch to go the distance, both for my own sake and so my mom can live vicariously through me. I will be sectioning the SNP this summer, and am planning a thru-hike in 2015 or possibly 2016, depending on what life throws at me.
I'll be hitting it solo as my husband claims the guvmnt makes him do enough walking around in ****ty conditions, but he's supportive even if he thinks I'm a little crazy.

sparkygeek
01-27-2014, 17:51
Whoops, sorry for the cursing. It was a direct quote and I didn't think about it. That's pretty neat that WB automatically censored it, I suppose.

HikerMom58
01-27-2014, 21:42
Howdy to all, I'm Amber and I actually grew up in Blacksburg VA, yet never hiked more than a few miles on the AT at a time with my mother (who always dreamed of thru-hiking but recently had to give up that dream) or with scouts.
Now that I'm in Texas I get the itch to go the distance, both for my own sake and so my mom can live vicariously through me. I will be sectioning the SNP this summer, and am planning a thru-hike in 2015 or possibly 2016, depending on what life throws at me.
I'll be hitting it solo as my husband claims the guvmnt makes him do enough walking around in ****ty conditions, but he's supportive even if he thinks I'm a little crazy.

Well, I'm so glad you introduced yourself sparkygeek! :) You spoke of living in Blacksburg but yet not hiking on the AT much. Same thing happened to me, I lived in NH till I was 18 but never stepped foot on the AT. Now, I can't wait to hike the Whites.

I'm sectioning it with my daughter. She hiked by herself for over 1,000 miles but she's agreed to let me tag along while she knocks out the miles. She's working her way up to NH.. can't wait till we get there. :)

Hey, I hope you hang out with us while you wait it out until you get back to the trail. :) Nice to have you here!

Whoops, sorry for the cursing. It was a direct quote and I didn't think about it. That's pretty neat that WB automatically censored it, I suppose.

No worries.. WB takes care of all that! It's kinda nice! :)

Seatbelt
01-28-2014, 11:33
Hey all, my name is Tim. I currently reside in northwest Indiana. A little background; I'm about to attempt a SOBO thruhike after I graduate nursing school this May and take my boards in June. I will be hiking with my fiance. I was in the military for 5 years, used to hiking around a lot of gear. To keep myself in shape for the AT I've been doing trails around here and hiking the sand dunes that grace the shores of Lake Michigan (nothing like hiking up 1000 ft elevation of sand). I've had to live in some pretty rough conditions so I'm hoping that's prepared me for what's in store. I'm excited to be here and excited to start my adventure. Good to be here and hope to come back more knowledgeable and able to contribute to this community!

Welcome to WB! from another Indiana fellow-hiker. Just curious, where are the 1000' sand dunes? i wasn't aware that we had anything that tall anywhere close to Indiana. I would love to come and work out on these!! Seatbelt

Teacher & Snacktime
01-28-2014, 13:19
I don't know about 1000', but Warren Dunes, on the SE side of Lake Michigan, just north of Michigan City has some serious dunes. I imagine if you tried to hike straight up in hiking shoes/boots in the sand it would be quite the workout. Then when you get overheated you can turn around and take a dip at the lake beach!

Seatbelt
01-28-2014, 13:40
I don't know about 1000', but Warren Dunes, on the SE side of Lake Michigan, just north of Michigan City has some serious dunes. I imagine if you tried to hike straight up in hiking shoes/boots in the sand it would be quite the workout. Then when you get overheated you can turn around and take a dip at the lake beach!
Thanks! He may be referring to hiking up a dune 3 or 4 times to equal 1000'. The highest reference i could find was 260' above Lake Michigan.

Blacksmith
01-29-2014, 23:01
Hello everyone! Looks like a fantastic community you all have here. I'm 46 now and have certainly been aware of the AT for most of my life (it's famous you know...) but I've never hiked on it (yet). Where I have done a fair amount of hiking is on my local trail, New York's Finger Lakes Trail. Perhaps not as famous as the AT but it's quite a gem in it's own right. In my younger days I spent three years on the island of Oahu and did a fair amount of hiking on the various trails all over the island. I often did weekend hikes on the FLT when I lived in New York's southern tier in Rushford, Allegany county. I would do two, three or four day solo hikes with a simple frameless rucksack and a WWII army pup tent and G.I. mess kit, pretty simple. I worked a four day week then and layoffs were fairly frequent so it was easy do hit the trail often. Then I got married in '06, relocated further north to another county and all that stopped :( Now as of December I am divorced happily ever after, relocated to near the western north/south spur of the FLT and my wanderbone is itching again :)
I am looking forward to a SOBO solo through hike on the AT but realistically that is likely 3 or 4 years ahead of me. Once my two teen daughters are off two college I'll hop a bus to Maine. In the meantime I have plenty of time to gear up for the big show by reacquainting myself with the FLT and getting my kit all together and into a system I am comfortable with.
Lot's to read up on here and I'm glad I found the WB!
Cheers! Daniel :)

RinoaPops
01-30-2014, 05:47
Good Morning to everyone from the Northwest Valley in Arizona. Picking a screen name was hard, so I just used my grand baby's name (Rinoa) and what they call me (Pops). So, I'm RinoaPops. My wife and I are avid hikers and I'm planning a through hike on the AT. My wife will join at various times for short day hikes. This is something that I've thought about doing for too long and the plan is now in motion to get it going. I've been lurking for a while and reading some journals as well as buying some books. Just super excited to be a part of the community.

HikerMom58
01-30-2014, 15:33
Welcome in Blacksmith and RinoaPops! :) Nice to have you here!

futureatwalker
01-30-2014, 17:04
Hi, I'm futureatwalker. I've been on WB for a handful of years, and enjoy the discussions.

I live in Scotland. It rains here all the time. We have some long distance trails, like the West Highland Way, the Southern Upland Way, and some others. There are also long distance trails in England, including the Coast-to-Coast walk and the Penine Way, and several others.

I caught the AT bug several years ago, and have tried to scratch it with some sections hikes. I've done all of Georgia, and some miles by Harper's Ferry. Prior to moving to Scotland, I lived in New Hampshire, and did lots of hiking in the Whites, and did Katahdin.

I've done some hiking in Europe, particularly in Switzerland on the Alpine Pass Route, but not as much as I'd like.

Though the AT has is my first love, I've had a few trips to Yosemite and the John Muir Trail, and, well, there's some pretty good backpacking - perhaps the best? - out there...

handlebar
01-30-2014, 21:55
Hello, all.

HikerMom, this is one of the most interesting threads I've read in the 9 years since I discovered Whiteblaze. I started backpacking in 1970, but hung up the pack whilst raising the family and dealing concentrating on my career. Once my 3 girls got old enough I outfitted my wife, 3 girls, and myself; and we started weeklong backpacking trips in the Canadian Rockies and shorter trips in PA. When my youngest daughter left for college in Columbia, SC, she and I would beet halfway for weekend hikes in the souther Appalachians. I set a goal to retire early and hike the AT and have since done a lot of long distance backpacking---over 10,000 miles.

While hiking the AT, I learned about the triple crown and that became another goal. My most recent goal is to stay in good enough condition to introduce my four grandsons to long distance backpacking in another 10 years or so. I tell them that they'll be carrying my food. :)

I got a lot of good input from the posts here that helped me put together my gear and have reasonable expectations for my 2005 AT thru. I occasionally chime in on a post where my experience can help out someone else. Nice to meet all of you.

Deer Hunter
01-30-2014, 22:10
Hello, all.

HikerMom, this is one of the most interesting threads I've read in the 9 years since I discovered Whiteblaze. I started backpacking in 1970, but hung up the pack whilst raising the family and dealing concentrating on my career. Once my 3 girls got old enough I outfitted my wife, 3 girls, and myself; and we started weeklong backpacking trips in the Canadian Rockies and shorter trips in PA. When my youngest daughter left for college in Columbia, SC, she and I would beet halfway for weekend hikes in the souther Appalachians. I set a goal to retire early and hike the AT and have since done a lot of long distance backpacking---over 10,000 miles.

While hiking the AT, I learned about the triple crown and that became another goal. My most recent goal is to stay in good enough condition to introduce my four grandsons to long distance backpacking in another 10 years or so. I tell them that they'll be carrying my food. :)

I got a lot of good input from the posts here that helped me put together my gear and have reasonable expectations for my 2005 AT thru. I occasionally chime in on a post where my experience can help out someone else. Nice to meet all of you.

I really hope you get to hike with your grandsons. That would really be great IMO.

HikerMom58
01-30-2014, 22:44
Hello, all.

Hey- So nice to meet you too, handlebar. I'm glad you enjoyed this thread. I like it very much myself. So interesting!! :)

Congrats on your 2005 thru-hike!! Wow, you are passing the baton right on to your grandson's... that's awesome!

Nice to meet you & thanks for any and all advice you can give to us from your own experiences!

FelixS13
01-31-2014, 01:16
Hi, my name is Felix and I am originally from and now live again in NM. I just retired in January and I am planning on day hiking the AT from my truck and mini-rv sleeper starting on or about Spring 2014. I just registered on White Blaze yesterday and am a total Newbie. Other than attending my daughter's PHD graduation from Stony Brook University at Long Island, NY, I am flexible on my hiking plans. I am hoping to hook up with an individual or small group to do a flip flop, section hike, thru hike, whatever you want to call it or that it turns out to be of the AT. I have hiked most weekends during my last 8 years of working in NM (including two CO 14 Teeners, and the high points in TX, OK, NM, and AZ). I have a BS in Math and have worked as an Environmentalist, HS Math Teacher and Child Care Specialist, and in Public Works in NM, AZ, TX, OK, and LA. I am also a 2 year cancer survivor.