PDA

View Full Version : take a stove or not

None yet
12-22-2013, 23:35
If you didn't start with a stove, did you later purchase one? If you started with a stove and sent it home, did you regret it?

Lucy Lulu
12-23-2013, 08:12
I was out west back packing several years ago, and sent my stove home. I did not regret not having the stove. I did not use a stove this year over about an 800 mile section on the AT. I did not miss the stove.

RCBear
12-23-2013, 08:25
I could live without hot meals, for awhile. I can't live without hot coffee in the morning.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Starchild
12-23-2013, 08:47
Only one backpack ever that I did without a stove and that was my very first backpack, my first purchases when I got back was a hot meal, the second was a backpack stove.

I most likely could do it now a lot more comfortably, but with stuff like esbit fuel, which can be the stove in itself, I don't see the need to go without. I also enjoy the cook time, so a added incentive to bring it for me.

Deadeye
12-23-2013, 09:39
I've never gone without stove, but I have forgotten the fuel! I did just fine without it, but I do like hot coffee or tea in the morning and at lunch, so for a few ounces, I'll keep bringing the stove, and try to remember the fuel.

slbirdnerd
12-23-2013, 09:57
I suggest taking one and if you find you like living without it, send it home. If you plan to cook, fires can be a pain at times. Plus, if there isn't an established fire ring, you're violating LNT principles: http://lnt.org/.

Coffee
12-23-2013, 10:01
Coffee makes a stove required equipment for me and since I need to have it anyway, hot food is a bonus. I can see going without hot food but never without morning coffee.

Grampie
12-23-2013, 10:21
There is nothing like having something hot to eat and drink when it's cold and wet. Bring a stove it adds to the creature comforts you will learn to like.

Old Hiker
12-23-2013, 10:25
A hot lemonade at night helped keep me warm. Never remembered to do it, but it really wasn't necessary during 2012, but a hot water bottle may have come in handy 2013.

I do like my coffee/hot chocolate mix in the morning and then sometimes for lunch. It's worth the weight for me.

Almost ran out of fuel only once: in the Smokies, as the grocery store at Fontana didn't have any canisters. I was able to buy one from a hiker half-way through the Smokies JUST before my canister ran out.

Mags
12-23-2013, 10:41
Something I wrote a earlier that may be of interest:
http://www.pmags.com/going-stoveless-cold-food-for-thought

The overall synopsis: Is it for everyone and all situations? Nope. Is it a good tool to have in the kit and may work for some people and some situations? Yep.

4eyedbuzzard
12-23-2013, 11:36
No pasta, no rice, no hot oatmeal :-?:( and NO HOT COFFEE?:confused::eek::mad:

A stove and fuel just doesn't weigh that much. 1 oz alky stove, windscreen, and 12 ounces of alcohol fuel (bottle of yellow HEET) weighs about 12 ounces (and the weight goes down every day as fuel is used). That will heat about two cups of water 16 times at 3/4 oz per boil under optimal conditions. Even factoring in colder water, air temps, and some wind, you can probably count on 5 days worth of hot breakfast cereal and coffee/tea and a hot pasta or rice or couscous or other dinner. That's hard to pass up to save, say, an average of 12 ounces carried weight.

Going one step further, for a few ounces more, any canister stove will have you eating before hikers with alky stoves even have their water hot. If it's really cold, you won't regret carrying it over the alky stove.

Add that hikers that go stoveless often wind up carrying more weight as the foods they carry almost always have a higher water content. And in freezing conditions, some of these foods become very hard to eat. Anything with water will freeze and become a flavored ice cube and you'll have to carry it next to your body to thaw it. It is also difficult to reconstitute most dry food without the aid of heat.

Mags
12-23-2013, 11:41
As I said, it is another tool that works well for certain situations and hiking styles. It is never just about weight.

During hot and sticky weather, such as in the middle of of a thru-hike in the Mid-Atlantic, a hot meal may actually be a minus.

In Maine, in late-September, a hot drink could be nice.

Good to have choices, different tools and applying it to different situations.

4eyedbuzzard
12-23-2013, 11:52
If you didn't start with a stove, did you later purchase one? If you started with a stove and sent it home, did you regret it?If you are starting a long hike and are unsure, you could take a cheap alky stove to start and try it, then bounce it up the trail (or get another one if you choose to go back - make one or buy one, they're cheap) and go a week without to see if you like one option over the other. As Mags and others noted, going stoveless is a choice. Only you can find out which choice is best for you.

Slo-go'en
12-23-2013, 12:03
This is another one of those "it depends" answers. In the spring and fall when it's chilly out, it's nice to have hot food and drink. In the summer, not so much. A lot of hikers go stove less during the summer months. The advantage is you usually get to eat quicker. You can make and eat a PB+J sandwitch faster then some people can prime thier stove. But don't expect to save much weight, no cook food tends to be heavier and have more bulk then the usual pasta and instant mashed potato meals most people cook.

ChinMusic
12-23-2013, 12:08
I just did an AT thru and didn't bring a stove. I got my fill of "real" food in towns and ate a lot of tortillas on the trail. I never missed hot food and I am not a coffee drinker.

Coffee
12-23-2013, 13:27
I'll have to give cold Via a try as Mags suggested in his article. Never thought of it. I like hot coffee but it is the caffeine that is essential to have.

garlic08
12-23-2013, 13:53
I brought a stove on my first long hike, the PCT, and after a few weeks decided to mail it ahead. I thought I sort of missed it, but then a few weeks later I mailed it ahead again, and eventually sent it home. After a few months of trying it both ways, I decided my hiking was better without it. I haven't carried a stove on a three season trip since, including the CDT, the AT, and a few other shorter trails.

As Mags says, it's good to have a choice, and the US Post Office easily provides that.

Tipi Walter
12-23-2013, 14:03
But don't expect to save much weight, no cook food tends to be heavier and have more bulk then the usual pasta and instant mashed potato meals most people cook.

I think this is true, at least for me on long trips w/o resupply. My dehydrated meals go a long way and 20 days worth only fill a small stuff sack. One of the secrets is to do your own home drying and put into ziplocs.

Beyond this, even backpackers with stoves go stove-less at times and much of the food they eat is "snack" food requiring no cooking---bread, peanut butter, cheese, fruit, crackers, granola, probars, etc etc. VARIETY is the name of the game and a stove increases the variety of food choices you have.

max patch
12-23-2013, 14:05
I drink a pot of coffee a day, but after a couple weeks I decided it was too much of a hassle to cook breakfast. I found I didn't miss the coffee at all. In CT I mailed my stove ahead 3 weeks as an experiment. I was glad when I caught up to my stove. However...as there are now more proteins which can easily be carried (think tuna in foil, etc) than when I thru'd, and based upon the posts of garlic and others who have hiked without a stove, I'm going to give it try next long hike. I'll start off with it, mail it ahead, and make the final decision when I catch up to it.

Second Hand
12-23-2013, 14:19
I always carried a stove and found I never used it. This year I did about 200 miles without a stove. In shoulder season and winter I switched to using an esbit stove. It's small, cheap and easy. Generally I only use it to make some hot tea before bed or early in the morning when it's really cold.

RedBeerd
12-23-2013, 17:32
People don't carry stoves? Way to take the pleasure out of life

Astro
12-23-2013, 17:51
First section on AT I went stove-less. Needless to say my first purchase when I got home was a Jet Boil. 4 weeks on the AT this past July and I used it every morning and night. Could not imagine ever going again without it, even on a weekend trip. I guess just another HYOH.

Chair-man
12-23-2013, 18:13
I bring a stove but I only cook dinner now (Mt House beef stew if I can find it).

I quit making breakfast and coffee for few reasons.

1. I was never really a breakfast person before I started hiking. I have to awake for a little while before I get an appetite.

2. Breakfast and coffee take too long to make. It already takes me an hour to pack up in the morning.

3. Coffee dehydrates you and that's the last thing my body needs in the morning.

4. Breakfast and coffee uses up my precious water as I tend not to stay at shelters and water may not be available (think summits).

5. I'm well rested in the morning and ready to start hiking. Starting early allows for for more breaks during the day.

6. Coffee & creamer are luxury items that takes up space and weighs more than you might think. I have my luxury item. My chair.

I eat a 1/2 a cliff bar before my hike. Cliff bars have a little caffeine in them.

Son Driven
12-23-2013, 19:03
Instant coffee crystals, mixed with cold spring water, some coco mix, powdered cream, some honey, or New England real maple syrup, shake it up in a one quart bottle. once I discovered the AT spring water coffee mocha, did not miss my stove at all. However early in March warm food and coffee, was worth carrying a stove for. If I do another long hike I will treat my stove like winter gear, so when I ship my winter gear home, my stove will go along on the ride.

Had no problem with soaking ramen noodle while I set up my hammock, I also ate oatmeal, and potato flakes mixed with water and NITO. NITO powdered cream was the secret ingredient for me. NITO is loaded with calories, and makes just about everything better.

xokie
12-23-2013, 19:45
I bought a little grill from http://lawsonequipment.com/ and used it all summer and fall on the AT. I might go back to a stove in more remote areas where LNT is more of an issue but there are enough fire rings in existence on The AT that it was never a problem. I like to eat as much fresh food as possible and this little grill makes corn, peppers, onions, and other grocery store items easy to prepare along with foraged mushrooms and wild roots.

Starchild
12-23-2013, 21:54
I bring a stove but I only cook dinner now (Mt House beef stew if I can find it).

I quit making breakfast and coffee for few reasons.

1. I was never really a breakfast person before I started hiking. I have to awake for a little while before I get an appetite.

2. Breakfast and coffee take too long to make. It already takes me an hour to pack up in the morning.

3. Coffee dehydrates you and that's the last thing my body needs in the morning.

4. Breakfast and coffee uses up my precious water as I tend not to stay at shelters and water may not be available (think summits).

5. I'm well rested in the morning and ready to start hiking. Starting early allows for for more breaks during the day.

6. Coffee & creamer are luxury items that takes up space and weighs more than you might think. I have my luxury item. My chair.

I eat a 1/2 a cliff bar before my hike. Cliff bars have a little caffeine in them.

HYOH and all, but with a autoignition jetboil you could have had hot coffee with a turn of a valve and a click and a pour if you set it up before hand, and while still in the sleeping bag and still half asleep.

Also some of the Cliff bars have caffeine in them, I don't believe all do. There are some that specifically state .contain caffeine'.

Sarcasm the elf
12-23-2013, 22:15
If you didn't start with a stove, did you later purchase one? If you started with a stove and sent it home, did you regret it?

My stove isn't just for food. It boils snow to make water in the winter, acts as a backup to my water purification in the summer. It is part of my safety kit by letting me turn my Nalgene into a hot water bottle when the temperatures are very low or when hypothermia is a risk. It also lets me carry lighter food than I would otherwise, but that might just be me.

If I were hiking in a very dry environment like the mid or southwest USA, I might consider leaving the stove at home out of concern about wildfires, but on the A.T. I've never worried about it.

None yet
12-23-2013, 23:13
I appreciate all the responses and your article Mags. I was curious about why/why not you had a stove. I love coffee/hot tea, but don't sit still to drink it and rarely eat anything cooked (I know this will change on the AT). I have a Jetboil (pros; boils quickly and is not an open flame. Cons; bulk/weight) that I will use for April, and plan on mailing home with winter gear. Maybe...

Mags
12-24-2013, 01:21
Though gear discussion dominates these forums it seems, I would not worry too much. After a month on the trail, you will be in the groove and find what works for you. I have X miles under my shoes and I am still learning, experimenting and have fun doing it. :).

Have a wonderful journey following those white blazes. Many people find it leads not only north to Katahdin, but to other journeys as well.

MuddyWaters
12-24-2013, 01:40
I dont use a stove for anything but dinner normally. Thats about a 600 calorie meal item, out of 3000-4000 daily.
When I look at it in that perspective, it seems not really unnecessary.
Except I do likes my hot food in the evening. It gives me something to do while the day winds down and my sweaty clothes dry up some. Its a comfort thing.

garlic08
12-24-2013, 09:15
Though gear discussion dominates these forums it seems, I would not worry too much. After a month on the trail, you will be in the groove and find what works for you...

And few hikers finish a long trail (at least their first one) carrying the same gear they started it with.

...Have a wonderful journey following those white blazes. Many people find it leads not only north to Katahdin, but to other journeys as well.

Now, that's a worthy thought.

squeezebox
12-24-2013, 10:03
What do the no stove people do at home ?

colorado_rob
12-24-2013, 10:06
I could live without hot meals, for awhile. I can't live without hot coffee in the morning.
This! Exactly.

Mags
12-24-2013, 10:11

Make a home made lasagna for a friend's Christmas party.

Oddly enough, I did not wear nylon pants or polypro to the party. I slept in a bed. Had central heating and hot running water. And I made sure I showered every day this week in addition to shaving, too. ;)

garlic08
12-24-2013, 15:01

On my AT hike, when queried once about how I got my pack so small, I mentioned the no stove concept. The other hiker said, "Interesting. What else do you do without?" I was perplexed at the question, since I didn't consider stoveless hiking "doing without." It's just a better way for me to hike. Similarly, I'm perplexed at the question above.

CarlZ993
12-24-2013, 15:26
I carried an alcohol stove & titanium pot on my AT thru-hike. I like a hot meal. No regrets.

I hiked w/ one guy for about 500 miles. He was stoveless at the beginning. Added a stove & pot in Damascus. He was glad he did. He appreciated his hot meals & coffee. I hiked w/ another guy later on that sent his stove & pot home & finished the remainder of the trail w/o them. He was also glad he did. He learned to drink ice coffee mix and eat cold meals.

I remember reading where Ray Jardine (ultralight backpacking guru) went stoveless on his AT hike to save weight. He vowed not to do that again. Either style would work. Just depends on your personal preference.

ChinMusic
12-24-2013, 15:30
Either style would work. Just depends on your personal preference.
I don't think any of us stoveless folks are trying to talk anyone into it. We are just stating what works for us.

Tipi Walter
12-24-2013, 16:43

On my AT hike, when queried once about how I got my pack so small, I mentioned the no stove concept. The other hiker said, "Interesting. What else do you do without?" I was perplexed at the question, since I didn't consider stoveless hiking "doing without." It's just a better way for me to hike. Similarly, I'm perplexed at the question above.

I can understand Squeezebox's point---if going stoveless is so great in the woods then why not continue the activity at home? It's a valid question.

Hikes in Rain
12-24-2013, 16:53
HYOH and all, but with a autoignition jetboil you could have had hot coffee with a turn of a valve and a click and a pour if you set it up before hand, and while still in the sleeping bag and still half asleep.
'.

I love the theory of this. Hot coffee in bed. But I always have to pee first thing in the morning, especially as i get older. After that, well, since I'm already up........

ChinMusic
12-24-2013, 17:19
I can understand Squeezebox's point---if going stoveless is so great in the woods then why not continue the activity at home? It's a valid question.

Valid???? It's like asking a hammocker what they sleep on at home.

Apples and oranges,

Tipi Walter
12-24-2013, 17:31

Apples and oranges,

Not really. I spent the last 3 weeks sleeping on my Exped pad in the back yard cuz I want to be outside. Sure, the home is there but I prefer the sky. So, wouldn't a hammocker keep using his hammock even at home? (if it's so good?). If fact I know of hammockers who stay "well-hung" even at home.

Ergo and repeat---why cook at home if the cookless way on the trail is so much better? Let's say a person spends 6 to 8 months of the year backpacking and out on the trail---wouldn't he want to keep his stoveless chops up by not cooking at home?

I even know some backpackers who only take showers once every two weeks---when at home---because they know they will have to go without on their long winter trips. It keeps them "ripe and ready". And some old timers say not bathing off body oils keeps their bodies warmer when living outdoors.

4eyedbuzzard
12-24-2013, 17:32

Apples and oranges,

I bought a home in NH a number of years ago that had big ring hooks on opposing walls of the great room. I was dumbfounded at the time, but later learned that the previous owner used them for, you guessed, a huge hammock. I did a little research and found they are actually common for sleeping in some cultures.

Tipi Walter
12-24-2013, 17:33
I bought a home in NH a number of years ago that had big ring hooks on opposing walls of the great room. I was dumbfounded at the time, but later learned that the previous owner used them for, you guessed, a huge hammock. I did a little research and found they are actually common for sleeping in some cultures.

Point taken.

ChinMusic
12-24-2013, 17:41
I cook nice meals at home and sleep on my California King bed. I even use heat for my home.

Mags
12-24-2013, 20:12

I go stoveless at home sometimes for similar reasons on the trail: convenience, ease of preparation and just because it suits me at certain times.

On a hot summer day here at home, a large salad of fresh tomatoes, cukes, avocado, chick peas, black,olives, fresh greens, carrots and some grated cheese with a little oil and vinegar is actually a favorite meal of mine.

And I dare someone to say that leftover cold eggplant, marinated peppers, cappicola, left over frittata, good cheese and some crusty bread does not make a good early evening meal on a Sunday night. This or a,similar meal growing up was often had.

Likewise a couple of left over hard boiled eggs, some yogurt and a piece of fruit makes a good quick breakfast that I often do.

not sure why this topic is so contentious. Just another option. If is not either/or. :)

As for not showering for two weeks at a time? That is inane. Even on the trail, I try to wash up a bit with a bandana. Not washing can cause GI issues, rashes and inflammation in certain parts of the body and so on. I do not care what the old timers say. :)

/wearing blues jeans, cotton boxers and a cotton tshirt right now. Guess I should be wearing nylon pants using the theories mentioned here....

garlic08
12-24-2013, 22:37
Sometimes I even use a wheeled conveyance (often a bicycle) to get around when I'm not hiking a trail.

I'm still perplexed at the idea that one should live the same way off the trail as on it.

ChinMusic
12-24-2013, 22:58
I'm still perplexed at the idea that one should live the same way off the trail as on it.

I tried to live one the trail as off it, but there were limits.

Turk6177
12-24-2013, 23:19
Make a cat can stove. It weighs next to nothing. Use it if you want, don't if you don't. I guess if you are thinking of not having a stove, you can make a cat can stove easily enough while you are in town. The only thing you would need to buy would be a pot to put on it. Personally, i like to cook oatmeal in the morning and have a hot meal for dinner. Cooking seems to be part of the fun of being in camp for me.

Ercoupe
12-25-2013, 07:29
Hot food and drinks get my bowels moving in the morning, so I consider a stove an essential. Cold potatoes, oatmeal and raman noodles just don't sound appealing.

Starchild
12-25-2013, 09:30
I go stoveless at home sometimes for similar reasons on the trail: convenience, ease of preparation and just because it suits me at certain times.

I guess this is why it works so well for you, it is already a large part of your lifestyle from even early childhood.

Garlic08 made a interesting statement, that in it's inverse seems to answer the question of why stoveless works better for some then others:

It is familiarity, but it is also knowing what your body needs. Needs not taken in the literal sense that someone needs hot food, but needs certain types of foods that lend themselves to cooking or not.

Mags did a good job highlighting what may be a typical meal, all does not require any cooking and for Mags it works. There would be really no reason to change this for 'on trail' living.

For me, even growing up my body has always required large quantities of animal protein. Without that I will feel like I'm starving in a few days no matter how much I ate of other stuff. As a child I taught myself to cook when most children were not allowed to use the stove or even be near it. I do feel it was because I knew at some level that I needed animal protein and the only source I could get to was the uncooked stuff in the fridge.

So for me cooking and hot food has been a ever present part of my life.

Translating to the trail. I did have a good selection of cold animal protein sources and would have several cold meals. But even that got tired at times and the AT is a long journey. I also found out that 'good' food goes a long way to high morale and offers a good deal of comfort.

So to answer Garlic08's post my answer would be what is different from the life's journey we have done that got us to eventually thru hike the trail and the life's journey on the trail? To a large extent the whole thru hike for me was just a a small part of a single journey, that is still continuing today.

Also I'm not saying that one should not try new things, Actually I did try to change my 'on trail' diet to be more in line with the typical 'thru hiker' diet. It didn't work for me and I switched back.

jimmyjam
12-25-2013, 12:35
I can't do without my stove. I need one hot meal a day and I like to have coffee on the trail.

QiWiz
12-25-2013, 18:28
For me, having hot meals and beverages when I want is worth the small weight penalty of a wood-burning, alcohol, or Esbit stove. Have only gone stoveless when doing very high mileage summer endurance challenges.

Franco
12-27-2013, 23:51
What is your motive for doing the trail ?That to me is the difference between one hiker and another.
Some do it to beat records, others to get fit, others still just to do something different and or have a good time for a month or five.
Now, if you are out there just to have a good time i would assume that you will also want as many of your comfort items as you can.
If you like a hot cup of coffee when you get up or a hot soup on a cool/cold rainy day, chances are that having a stove will make your hike more pleasurable.

Hill Ape
12-28-2013, 17:46
do it at home for a week, see how it goes for you. now factor in the calories you'll burn hiking. that cold whatever mush starts to really sound good huh

ChinMusic
12-28-2013, 18:52
do it at home for a week, see how it goes for you. now factor in the calories you'll burn hiking. that cold whatever mush starts to really sound good huh
As one that has backpacked stoveless for years, I don't understand the "do it at home for a week" experiment. I eat differently at home vs the trail. If I had done that experiment at home I might have come to the conclusion that I needed hot food/drink on the trail.

RockDoc
12-28-2013, 21:21
The new canister stoves with flint strikers are so nice compared to the old SVEA stoves we used for years, which were loud, heavy, and fussy. Only problem is you can't fly with them; so we ship them ahead via UPS ground.

MDSection12
12-28-2013, 22:29
As one that has backpacked stoveless for years, I don't understand the "do it at home for a week" experiment. I eat differently at home vs the trail. If I had done that experiment at home I might have come to the conclusion that I needed hot food/drink on the trail.
Agreed. I wonder if those that preach that store things in their home, vehicle or office... Or if they carry all their belongings on their back at all times.

garlic08
12-28-2013, 22:48

My trail diet, back about ten years ago when I carried a stove, consisted of typical hiker's fare: Kraft Mac'n'cheese, Lipton's sides, Knorr's mixes, converted rice, ramen, Idahoan mashed potatoes, instant grits--not exactly gourmet cooking. Basically warm, salty glop. Try eating that for a week at home. Actually, I guess lots of people do, based on what I see in line at the grocery store. Ugh. It all depends on your perspective.

I know there are talented camp chefs out there. I know I'm not one of them. My stoveless diet is actually pretty good, and I do often eat that way at home and do quite well with it. It's just a nice method to know about, another tool in the box, as Mags says.

DaBrownie
01-03-2014, 22:50
I hiked without a stove onec. Mistake. I got my base weight way down too, then an unexpected cold snap came through. Another mistake. (Not mine; the weather's! ;-))

One of hiking's great pleasure is listening to a no-stover go on about saving weight and effort, while he/she enjoys a warm beverage heated on my stove. A stove is worth the weight just for that experience.

ChinMusic
01-03-2014, 22:57
One of hiking's great pleasure is listening to a no-stover go on about saving weight and effort, while he/she enjoys a warm beverage heated on my stove. A stove is worth the weight just for that experience.
Most "no-stovers" have fully stated that it is NOT a weight-saving strategy.

And if you are offering hot chocolate, I'm accepting.

nickgann
01-04-2014, 00:27
As a coffee addict, I dig having a stove. As far as meals go, I always use a fire(this of course depends on whether you are in no-fire type areas.)

squeezebox
01-04-2014, 03:45
Take a stove!

DaBrownie
01-04-2014, 10:25
Most "no-stovers" have fully stated that it is NOT a weight-saving strategy.

Nah, not true. How silly, carrying a heavier total feed system with less appetizing food!

Going stoveless is less hassle. Suppose we both pulled into the same campsite for the night, and it takes me 30 minutes longer to cook/eat/clean teriyaki fried spam and pineapple chunks over sushi rice than it does you to prep/eat/clean peanut butter and raisins on mini bagels. What have you gained? Answer: 30 minutes with nothing else to do.

And if you are offering hot chocolate, I'm accepting.

I always offer. It's obvious you'd rather have hot chocolate than cold and I'm happy to oblige.

russb
01-04-2014, 10:29
My first 20 years of backwoods experience whether it was canoeing or backpacking I never brought a stove. I am fortunate to have grown up where fires were always allowed. Even a tiny fire with twigs can be made very quickly. A cooking fire is different from a campfire. I started to use a stove and after a few years realized I still made a small fire often just as smudge. I now carry a small alky burner but use it sparingly. In summer I often eat no-cook food as it is what i crave when it is warm out. The same is true at home. I did a 7 day trip last summer only bringing 4 oz of alcohol. I ended the trip with half of it still. Is it necessary? I suppose like all things, it depends on many factors. First and foremost is the individual. Like all things HYOH, YMMV, LNT, HMHDI, DAISNAID, ABACAB, etc...

MuddyWaters
01-04-2014, 11:02
simplicity is elegant.
Less gear, less hassle

I bring a stove most of the time, but stove, pot, fuel, etc all adds up to ....7 oz with fuel for a week.

Mags
01-04-2014, 12:32
Answer: 30 minutes with nothing else to do.

I hope you find more to do with your time than just eat. :)

ChinMusic
01-04-2014, 12:59
Going stoveless is less hassle. Suppose we both pulled into the same campsite for the night, and it takes me 30 minutes longer to cook/eat/clean teriyaki fried spam and pineapple chunks over sushi rice than it does you to prep/eat/clean peanut butter and raisins on mini bagels. What have you gained? Answer: 30 minutes with nothing else to do.

I actually prefer my meal and the extra 30 minutes of sleep. TEHO

ChinMusic
01-04-2014, 13:00
I always offer. It's obvious you'd rather have hot chocolate than cold and I'm happy to oblige.
I prefer Diet Coke and have been know to show up in some pretty remote places with a fresh bottle.

10-K
01-04-2014, 15:05
Didn't read the thread but I go stoveless in all but Winter because it's less to keep up with and think about. As for weight I haven't found it to save much, if any.

It also frees me up to camp at more places (or not have to carry the weight of extra water to a dry camp).

I have to think about it more but I'm pretty sure I create less trash going stoveless.

zelph
01-04-2014, 17:23
follow MAGS lead, go stoveless.

4eyedbuzzard
01-04-2014, 18:27
follow MAGS lead, go stoveless. :eek: Shocked I tell you. Of all the people . . .

Remind me to never hire you as my marketing manager :D

Mags
01-04-2014, 21:14
I don't go stoveless all the time time. No more than I always wear the exact same clothing as I do in Dec as I do in June. Or prepare the exact same meals at home. Or drink the exact same beer every time:)

I'll say it again peeps: It is just another tool to use.

Hot and dry conditions when open flames and certain types of stoves are banned? Why not go stoveless.
Winter backpacking when I melting a copious amount of snow for water? White gas.
Going on a casual trip with friends or the wife? Canister.
Solo trip in shoulder seasons? Alcohol.

I see a lot of people trying to convince why no stove works. Great..awesome. Doesn't work for you..cool.

But there are valid reasons why it works for me, Chin, 10k, Garlic,etc.

To say why our choice for *US* doesn't work for *US* is just plain..well, stupid. :)

Make your thai spam delight. Cool. I doubt I'll be around to see it. I'll be hiking off-trail all day, going to sunset, making my camp, and munching on my cous cous and tuna and then sleeping. :)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3823/9281227218_7fcf2606d2.jpg
No shelter to see. No trail. No one making Spam Thai Dee-lite

And some times, I'll just hike with friends in Utah, make a cup of joe, and enjoy the awesomeness of Canyonlands NP.

http://pmags2.jzapin.com/gallery2/d/22066-2/image-bw031.jpg

Or I'm in the Smokies in March, it's be cold and rainy/sleeting . A hot meal is quite satisfying. The alcohol stove was light and simple.

http://pmags2.jzapin.com/gallery2/d/19690-3/acq.jpg

But I enjoy winter sunsets. No water to be found. I need to melt some snow for a group of people. Better take the white gas. (Sorry..still no Pad Thai Spam Terriyaki Pineapple DEE-LITE ;) )

http://pmags2.jzapin.com/gallery2/d/11705-2/act.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=419b61d182482cd74b897e6c5db0 f2d3

And so on.... :)

ChinMusic
01-04-2014, 21:38
I don't go stoveless all the time time. No more than I always wear the exact same clothing as I do in Dec as I do in June. Or prepare the exact same meals at home. Or drink the exact same beer every time:)

I'll say it again peeps: It is just another tool to use.

Hot and dry conditions when open flames and certain types of stoves are banned? Why not go stoveless.
Winter backpacking when I melting a copious amount of snow for water? White gas.
Going on a casual trip with friends or the wife? Canister.
Solo trip in shoulder seasons? Alcohol.

Same can be said of my use of cameras.

Photo trip like Yosemite: DSLR, tripod, and lens kit
Thru hike: iPhone

Now I do wear much of the same clothes year round and always want Diet Coke (I did have a coupla Moxies in Maine).

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2014, 23:21
I was out west back packing several years ago, and sent my stove home. I did not regret not having the stove. I did not use a stove this year over about an 800 mile section on the AT. I did not miss the stove.

Thats worthy of a more detailed separate thread as to what you ate... Just an idea.

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2014, 23:22
follow MAGS lead, go stoveless.

Don't egg on the Naysayer's - unless you are sarcastic!

None yet
01-04-2014, 23:45
The pics are amazing- can't wait to be 'there'... With or without a stove!

Mags
01-05-2014, 00:05
can't wait to be 'there'... With or without a stove!

You have your priorities right! :) Have a blast!