PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the cheapest way to get from Maine to Atlanta?

Buzzy84
12-23-2013, 16:13
I plan on leaving sometime in march 2014 for a thru hike back home. I've seen plenty of threads on best way to get from Atlanta to the trail. I'm looking to find the cheapest way possible to get there from Lewiston or Portland Maine.
Also I don't really wanna fly so that's out of the picture..

RED-DOG
12-23-2013, 16:15
Take a Gray Hound Bus or Hitch Hike ? this would be my guess

Buzzy84
12-23-2013, 16:29
Take a Gray Hound Bus or Hitch Hike ? this would be my guess

Ya that's what i'm guessing. Just wasn't sure if hopping on a train somewhere like Boston or something would be cheaper than taking a bus the whole way.

Slo-go'en
12-23-2013, 16:34
The bus or Amtrak are your only two viable options. The bus would be the least expensive, especially if you do the low budget city to city megabus online deals. The only problem is the bus ride is the better part of three days and you'll get there feeling like a zombie. Amtrak is quicker, just an overnight trip, but significantly more expensive. Either way, book online in advance. The best price for the train is booking one month in advance, it goes up from there. The bus you only need 2 weeks notice. If you wait until the day you want to leave to buy a ticket, you pay full fare.

johnnybgood
12-23-2013, 16:34
Amtrak train from Portland , ME to Atlanta would beat taking the bus,making for a more enjoyable trip

Slo-go'en
12-23-2013, 16:35
Ya that's what i'm guessing. Just wasn't sure if hopping on a train somewhere like Boston or something would be cheaper than taking a bus the whole way.

It's easy enough to find out, go to the respective web sites and type in to and from and when and it will tell you.

Buzzy84
12-23-2013, 16:44
The bus or Amtrak are your only two viable options. The bus would be the least expensive, especially if you do the low budget city to city megabus online deals. The only problem is the bus ride is the better part of three days and you'll get there feeling like a zombie. Amtrak is quicker, just an overnight trip, but significantly more expensive. Either way, book online in advance. The best price for the train is booking one month in advance, it goes up from there. The bus you only need 2 weeks notice. If you wait until the day you want to leave to buy a ticket, you pay full fare.

Hmm some valid points. I dont really feel like showing up feeling like a zombie lol. Looks like i'll have to do more research online. Thanks tho

Buzzy84
12-23-2013, 16:47
Amtrak train from Portland , ME to Atlanta would beat taking the bus,making for a more enjoyable trip

I tried looking up Amtrak but they didnt even have portland as a departure option

Fairway
12-23-2013, 16:50
Check out MegaBus. They run express shuttles between major cities. Their prices are cheaper than greyhound and amtrak, and there are no intermediate stops.

Alligator
12-23-2013, 16:55
Train is about $50 more running from Portland to Atlanta. The train option has a bus leg from Portland to Boston. $130 vs $181. You might be able to save a little bus fare using Megabus for a leg or two. However, Megabus schedules through January show only a 45 minute window in DC if you used Megabus all the way. This is not enough leeway to switch buses in my experience. You may not get there in time and they might not hold your seat.

Also, note in DC the Greyhound station is not at the train station, while the Megabus stop is, should you use different bus companies.

Alligator
12-23-2013, 17:03
Check out MegaBus. They run express shuttles between major cities. Their prices are cheaper than greyhound and amtrak, and there are no intermediate stops.Depends. Stops are very limited but sometimes in between depending on the distance. All the way to Atlanta would also require bus changes. Portland to Boston. Boston to DC. DC to Atlanta. DC to Atlanta has two stops: Christiansburg and Knoxville.

scrabbler
12-23-2013, 17:04
One way car rental ~50 for 2 days, plus gas. Get someone to share the driving and gas to make it cheaper. Just another idea.

Trance
12-23-2013, 17:10
Airtran goes from Portland ME to Atlanta via Southwest now.

The one way car rental is a terrible idea btw. You have to pay to return it somewhere other than where you got it... it's usually based on miles from destination also. Plus the gas (approx 1200 miles), time, and fatigue (Ever drive 18+ hours?) of driving would be killer. Portland Maine to Atlanta GA is 18 hours of actual nonstop driving in the best conditions.

scrabbler
12-23-2013, 17:23
Hertz shows $52, thats based on one way, no surchage, and unlimitted mileage. 1200 miles / 35 mpg * $3.50/gallon = $120 in gas. If you can share the costs, it becomes very cheap. OP asked for "cheapest way possible", not easiest.

Buzzy84
12-23-2013, 17:27
Ya i gotta agree. just the gas alone would be 500 or more plus i can't drive even if i wanted to. no license But if gas weren't so expensive and i could drive i would.. absolutely love driving..
But Ya I think i found greyhound tickets for 200. i'll check out megabus and see whats up with that. Thanks

StealthHikerBoy
12-23-2013, 17:35
Why not fly? Southwest has one way tickets from Portland to ATL in March and April for $160 right now. Besides hitchhiking, I'd be surprised if you can find any way cheaper than that.

Trance
12-23-2013, 17:40
Last year when I hiked I flew from Pittsburgh to Atlanta for $69 one way... the Marta cost me $3 to North Springs Station (i think).... then I got the hiker hostel pickup special for like $80... they drive you from that station to the hostel, you spend a night, then they feed you and drop you at either Amicalola or Springer lot in the morning. I'd recommend them any day of the week.

You have to consider, if you drive a car one way. You will pay a sizeable drop off fee.... make sure you ask them about it. Gas will be undoubtedly more than $120. You still have to find a way to get to Springer/Amicalola too.... and you'll find that although the people around the trail are nice, many expect compensation for the 2+ hr drive from Atlanta to the trailhead...... I know I would.

Buzzy84
12-23-2013, 18:10
Well.. I've never flown It kind of sketches me out. That being said i've come to realize you cant really beat that price, and this hike will be a lot of first's so why not start out taking my first plane ride! Thanks i think i found my solution.

Trance
12-23-2013, 18:15
I drove from North Conway NH to Acadia to Lubec Maine back in October. Maine really is a beautiful place.... kinda of detatched from the big cities in so many ways.

As for flying.... you have a better chance of getting stuck by lightning than crashing. Take the flight! Watch Southwest/Airtran website... they have periodic specials. It's what I do......

Perhaps I'll see you on the trail this year!

MuddyWaters
12-23-2013, 18:32
gas for driving depends on the car
A small car that gets 35mpg, gas would be $120 at $3.50 per gallon,which is conservative right now.

The cheapest way, would likely be to share a ride with someone in a small car.

Its actually only like 18 hrs of driving, two people drive straight thru, its a one day rental.

MuddyWaters
12-23-2013, 18:35
A small car that gets 35mpg, gas would be $120 at $3.50 per gallon,which is conservative right now.

Its actually only like 18 hrs of driving, two people drive straight thru, its a one day rental.

Personally, Id fly no matter what it cost.

Now, If you are credit worthy. Sign up for a credit card that gives you sign up bonus miles you can use on United Airlines. Yes, you have to spend $1000 in first 3 months. Get help, pay for things for others if you have to and have them give you the money.

You can get 30,000-40,000 bonus miles this way, worth about 300-400 dollars.

United lets you book one way tickets. 25,000 miles will get you there.

Done deal, it didnt cost you a thing.

Buzzy84
12-23-2013, 18:39
I drove from North Conway NH to Acadia to Lubec Maine back in October. Maine really is a beautiful place.... kinda of detatched from the big cities in so many ways.

As for flying.... you have a better chance of getting stuck by lightning than crashing. Take the flight! Watch Southwest/Airtran website... they have periodic specials. It's what I do......

Perhaps I'll see you on the trail this year!

Ya maybe we will! I'll be out there! Sounds like a nice trip you had up here. It is very beautiful in Maine I love it here. I lived down in Derry PA. for a couple months down by pittsburgh that was nice too but Dang what would normally be like a 45 min ride up here, took me 2 hours to get from Derry to Pittsburgh lol. So i hear ya..

As for flying! You talked me into it! Thanks! I will be watching those airlines soon!

Buzzy84
12-23-2013, 18:44

Personally, Id fly no matter what it cost.

Now, If you are credit worthy. Sign up for a credit card that gives you sign up bonus miles you can use on United Airlines. Yes, you have to spend $1000 in first 3 months. Get help, pay for things for others if you have to and have them give you the money.

You can get 30,000-40,000 bonus miles this way, worth about 300-400 dollars.

United lets you book one way tickets. 25,000 miles will get you there.

Done deal, it didnt cost you a thing.

Nope have crappy credit.. But have decided to fly, seems to be the cheapest way!

Theosus
12-23-2013, 19:03
Well.. I've never flown It kind of sketches me out. That being said i've come to realize you cant really beat that price, and this hike will be a lot of first's so why not start out taking my first plane ride! Thanks i think i found my solution.
Id be more worried about the plane people losing or damaging the pack than the flight itself. Find a hotel that will accept your package, or one of those ups stores. Ship your pack down there a few days before you go. Save yourself lost luggage, pack damage, wasted time in security, and inflated bag handling fees (plus people wanting tips for doing their jobs). Get on plane with no hassles, get to ATL, pick up your pack and off you go.

Sunds too good to be true, I'm sure there are a lot more hassles than that.

Buzzy84
12-23-2013, 19:11
Id be more worried about the plane people losing or damaging the pack than the flight itself. Find a hotel that will accept your package, or one of those ups stores. Ship your pack down there a few days before you go. Save yourself lost luggage, pack damage, wasted time in security, and inflated bag handling fees (plus people wanting tips for doing their jobs). Get on plane with no hassles, get to ATL, pick up your pack and off you go.

Sunds too good to be true, I'm sure there are a lot more hassles than that.

Ya that does sound like quite the hassle and for the price of shipping my pack i mine as well just take the bus.. hmmmm got some thinking to do

scrabbler
12-23-2013, 22:01
Plus a one way flight with no luggage virtually guarantees a nice TSA shakedown or two.

Slo-go'en
12-23-2013, 22:08
Ya that does sound like quite the hassle and for the price of shipping my pack i mine as well just take the bus.. hmmmm got some thinking to do

I shipped my pack to my folks house in Florida for about $20 - UPS ground. They then drove me up to Georgia after visting for a few days. Granted, that was a few years ago, but I woudn't think it is that much more now. Not having to deal with any luggage other then a little carry on bag, if that, and knowing your pack is going to show up with all its contents, no matter what you put into it (except fuel of course) is priceless. Of course, having a one way ticket and a small carry on does rise some eyebrows with security. Just don't act figgity :)

One way or another your going to have to arrange to get to the trail head via some shuttle and it's hard to beat the deal the Hiker Hostel gives you, which is where you'd have your pack shipped to.

Robin2013AT
12-23-2013, 22:26
Buzzy 84...I looked long and hard but you can't get there from here...
I shipped my pack ground (50.00) to Hiker Hostel. I took the Portsmouth Logan Express to Boston (50.00) and got a 140.00 nonstop into Atlanta. 3.00 for the Marta and hiker hostel picks you up (80 for everything 2013). It was quick and easy considering where we come from.
It was a long trip but much longer walking home.

Buzzy84
12-23-2013, 22:33
Buzzy 84...I looked long and hard but you can't get there from here...
I shipped my pack ground (50.00) to Hiker Hostel. I took the Portsmouth Logan Express to Boston (50.00) and got a 140.00 nonstop into Atlanta. 3.00 for the Marta and hiker hostel picks you up (80 for everything 2013). It was quick and easy considering where we come from.
It was a long trip but much longer walking home.

"Can't get there from here" Hahaha. Sounds about right! Was that a non stop flight? Also what is Marta? a few people have mentioned it and i just haven't looked it up yet. Thanks for your input.

Slo-go'en
12-23-2013, 22:39
MARTA is the public mass transit system for the Atlanta area. Getting yourself from the airport to the north side of Atlanta makes it a lot easier for them to pick you up, since they can avoid some of the traffic - which is down right frigteningly thick around there. If you choose this route, the details are easy enough to find.

Buzzy84
12-23-2013, 22:46
MARTA is the public mass transit system for the Atlanta area. Getting yourself from the airport to the north side of Atlanta makes it a lot easier for them to pick you up, since they can avoid some of the traffic - which is down right frigteningly thick around there. If you choose this route, the details are easy enough to find.

Oh nice. Ya I probly will go that route seems that just about everyone suggests it. Sounds good to me. I wonder how many people just walk from the airport or at least from the edge of the city

4eyedbuzzard
12-24-2013, 03:12
Buzzy, find and old suitcase or duffel that your pack will fit in and check your pack. Just throw or give it away once it has served its purpose. Buy your fuel on the way to the trail - most shuttle services will stop for this or if you're staying the first night at a hostel fuel should be available somewhere. Southwest allows two bags under 50 lbs. for free. Remember - NO STOVE FUEL of any kind allowed in either checked or carry on luggage. Make sure you fill out and put a name tag on it and your cell number or some local GA contact on it. I fly all the time and in 30 plus years have only had a bag "lost" once and they shuttled it to me at my destination later that evening.

Buzzy84
12-24-2013, 10:32
Buzzy, find and old suitcase or duffel that your pack will fit in and check your pack. Just throw or give it away once it has served its purpose. Buy your fuel on the way to the trail - most shuttle services will stop for this or if you're staying the first night at a hostel fuel should be available somewhere. Southwest allows two bags under 50 lbs. for free. Remember - NO STOVE FUEL of any kind allowed in either checked or carry on luggage. Make sure you fill out and put a name tag on it and your cell number or some local GA contact on it. I fly all the time and in 30 plus years have only had a bag "lost" once and they shuttled it to me at my destination later that evening.

Good to know Buzzard. Thanks i'll keep that in mind

MuddyWaters
12-24-2013, 22:41
My experience with checked baggage has been less stellar.
Avoid flight connections that are too close together.

Trainguy
12-24-2013, 23:36
If you decide to take Amtrak be aware you will have to cab it or subway it in Boston. There's no Amtrak connection between North Station and South Station in Boston.

Buzzy84
12-25-2013, 11:25
If you decide to take Amtrak be aware you will have to cab it or subway it in Boston. There's no Amtrak connection between North Station and South Station in Boston.

Thanks train guy. I think i'll be going by bus or plane at this point.

Kingbee
12-25-2013, 11:47
When driving, consider the tolls you pay if you stick to 95. You can take routes around tolls, but adds a bit of driving time.

Mother Natures Son
12-25-2013, 11:53
Don't ride on the Dog. Back when I was doing some long travels to get to the trailhead, I took the Dog. Big mistake! Overpriced, long nasty ride all to be dumped off in some rundown part of town. O by the way, did anyone tell the ticket agent they no longer have a bus that goes to.......... (fill in the blank.) Does anyone else have something they want to share about riding the bus?

Buzzy84
12-25-2013, 11:56
Don't ride on the Dog. Back when I was doing some long travels to get to the trailhead, I took the Dog. Big mistake! Overpriced, long nasty ride all to be dumped off in some rundown part of town. O by the way, did anyone tell the ticket agent they no longer have a bus that goes to.......... (fill in the blank.) Does anyone else have something they want to share about riding the bus?

Whats the dog? Greyhound?

George
12-26-2013, 06:20
I just got bus tickets chicago to atlanta for 2.50$

-Animal
12-26-2013, 09:12
My bus experience was terrible…from Texas to Roanoke VA, the closest to the trail for a section hike I did in 2013, is a long ride and they don’t let you sleep. Several times they made us all get off the bus for cleaning during the night. Carpooling with four or more hikers is the best cheapest way to get to the trail. Should be less than $100 each depending on distance, right?

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2013, 10:27
I just got bus tickets chicago to atlanta for 2.50$Megabus? I've heard they are actually pretty good for city to city, but their departure times are sometimes odd/inconvenient and stringing connecting bus tickets together can be a big problem (like 12+ hr layovers waiting for the next leg of the trip. If just a one bus ride deal though, you can't beat the price.

Odd Man Out
12-26-2013, 11:56
Bus times and fares are not out for March yet. Assuming they stay the same and you purchase well in advance, based on today's schedules you could do this:

Megabus non-stop from Portland Transportation Center to Boston South Station. Dep 9:30 AM - Arr 11:25 AM for 1$

Boston SL1 (Silver Line) bus from South Station to Logan Airport. Departures every 10 minutes - 15 minute trip for $2.50

Southwest Airline flight 5308 (operated by Air Tran) nonstop from Boston to Atlanta. Dep 3:00 PM - Arr 5:44 PM for $133. This fare is available on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays in March. It's a non-stop flight with two free checked bags, so probably no need to ship your bag.

Take the MARTA rail Red Line from the Airport to the North Springs Stations (end of the line). $2.50

If you are going to use the Hiker Hostel Thru-Hiker Deal, they will pick you up there, take you to the hostel, one night's lodging, breakfast in the morning, 8 oz of alcohol, and a shuttle to the trail head the next morning for $80

If you wanted to save a few bucks, you could take an afternoon bus to Boston, then take the 6:30 PM bus from Boston to NYC arriving at 10:45 PM (3$) then take the 1:30 AM bus to DC (1.1 mile walk between bus stops). You'll have a 2.5 hr layover in DC and then get the 9 AM bus to Atlanta, arriving at 10:00 PM. The BOS-ATL bus is $79 so this saves $51 over the SW flight, however, you end up in downtown ATL at 10 PM. I don't know if the Hiker Hostel would pick you up this late so you might have to stay in Atlanta which will cost much more than $51. Even if you sleep on a park bench, since the bus trip takes an extra day, you have an extra day of meals to pay for which would eat up more of the potential savings.

If you have some other way of getting from Atlanta to the trail, that would save you the $80 from the Hiker Hostel.

Bus and air fares seem to be best on Tues and Wed.

Have fun.

Buzzy84
12-26-2013, 12:08
Bus times and fares are not out for March yet. Assuming they stay the same and you purchase well in advance, based on today's schedules you could do this:

Megabus non-stop from Portland Transportation Center to Boston South Station. Dep 9:30 AM - Arr 11:25 AM for 1$

Boston SL1 (Silver Line) bus from South Station to Logan Airport. Departures every 10 minutes - 15 minute trip for $2.50

Southwest Airline flight 5308 (operated by Air Tran) nonstop from Boston to Atlanta. Dep 3:00 PM - Arr 5:44 PM for $133. This fare is available on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays in March. It's a non-stop flight with two free checked bags, so probably no need to ship your bag.

Take the MARTA rail Red Line from the Airport to the North Springs Stations (end of the line). $2.50

If you are going to use the Hiker Hostel Thru-Hiker Deal, they will pick you up there, take you to the hostel, one night's lodging, breakfast in the morning, 8 oz of alcohol, and a shuttle to the trail head the next morning for $80

If you wanted to save a few bucks, you could take an afternoon bus to Boston, then take the 6:30 PM bus from Boston to NYC arriving at 10:45 PM (3$) then take the 1:30 AM bus to DC (1.1 mile walk between bus stops). You'll have a 2.5 hr layover in DC and then get the 9 AM bus to Atlanta, arriving at 10:00 PM. The BOS-ATL bus is $79 so this saves $51 over the SW flight, however, you end up in downtown ATL at 10 PM. I don't know if the Hiker Hostel would pick you up this late so you might have to stay in Atlanta which will cost much more than $51. Even if you sleep on a park bench, since the bus trip takes an extra day, you have an extra day of meals to pay for which would eat up more of the potential savings.

If you have some other way of getting from Atlanta to the trail, that would save you the $80 from the Hiker Hostel.

Bus and air fares seem to be best on Tues and Wed.

Have fun.

Thank you Odd Man Out! This is what i was looking for. I'm still having a hard time deciding. I think i will take the cheapest bus route, I dont mind a layover or walking a lil bit to the next station. So i think thats my best bet

Odd Man Out
12-26-2013, 22:11
Thank you Odd Man Out! This is what i was looking for. I'm still having a hard time deciding. I think i will take the cheapest bus route, I dont mind a layover or walking a lil bit to the next station. So i think thats my best bet

You might find other bus options with Greyhound. I only checked Megabus. If you do go that route, the secret to saving $ on Megabus is to be first person to buy a ticket - they get those 1$ deals. If you snooze you loose. So check back on their site often to see when the March tickets become available and be ready to grab one.

Buzzy84
12-26-2013, 22:32
You might find other bus options with Greyhound. I only checked Megabus. If you do go that route, the secret to saving $ on Megabus is to be first person to buy a ticket - they get those 1$ deals. If you snooze you loose. So check back on their site often to see when the March tickets become available and be ready to grab one.

Oh ok. thanks again. The only bus ive ever heard of was greyhound. lol so I will definitely be on watch for them march dates

George
12-27-2013, 04:54
Megabus? I've heard they are actually pretty good for city to city, but their departure times are sometimes odd/inconvenient and stringing connecting bus tickets together can be a big problem (like 12+ hr layovers waiting for the next leg of the trip. If just a one bus ride deal though, you can't beat the price.

they can make the dog seem like deluxe travel - all stops are on the street, seating is by cattle call

mainelydave
12-27-2013, 10:31
I plan on leaving sometime in march 2014 for a thru hike back home. I've seen plenty of threads on best way to get from Atlanta to the trail. I'm looking to find the cheapest way possible to get there from Lewiston or Portland Maine.
Also I don't really wanna fly so that's out of the picture..

Others have answered with the cheapest, but if I decide to thru-hike this year, I'm taking Concord Trailways bus from Portland to Boston South Station, then Amtrak from Boston to Gainesville. After transferring in NYC, getting a sleeper unit called the 'roomette', which includes meals.

Bus from Portland to Boston $30? I think
Train from Boston to Gainesville $350. ($159 if you don't get 'roomette', just a seat)

mainelydave
12-27-2013, 10:34
25426 here it is.

mainelydave
12-27-2013, 10:36
Also - post on Craigslist - if you have a flexible departure time, you might easily find somebody who wants company, or share gas $, who is heading South

Buzzy84
12-27-2013, 10:47
Others have answered with the cheapest, but if I decide to thru-hike this year, I'm taking Concord Trailways bus from Portland to Boston South Station, then Amtrak from Boston to Gainesville. After transferring in NYC, getting a sleeper unit called the 'roomette', which includes meals.

Bus from Portland to Boston $30? I think
Train from Boston to Gainesville $350. ($159 if you don't get 'roomette', just a seat)

Thanks Dave. This sounds like a good option too.. I'll Keep it in mind. Still not sure how i'll be traveling but sounds like plenty of options

TomM
12-31-2013, 20:07
Seems to me that going all the way to Atlanta is a waste. Get off at Gainesville. If you go to Atlanta you would only have to backtrack north.

Papa D
12-31-2013, 22:03
figure out how to get to Boston, Ma
then take Amtrak to NYC (Penn Station)
then take Amtrak to Gainsville, GA (the Crescent)
Gainsville is really close to Amicalola / Springer
you can continue on the same trail to ATL if you like
message me and I'll help / shuttle, etc.

mainebob
12-31-2013, 23:05
this spring, my daughter sassafras and i flew out of boston to atlanta (my wife drove us) and the tickets were $140. look on live every day, they were 240 for our march departure date on 3/20/12 in january and the beginning of febuary and one day they were $100 cheaper so i jumped on it. we then took the marta train for a few bucks and did the thru hiker special at the hiker hostel (a shuttle from the marta station, ride to there place, a bunk over night, breakfast in the morning and a ride to the trail head for about $70) we checked our backpacks and mailed our food to the hostel. the shuttle driver stopped a a super walmart on the way from the airport, and an outfiter, so i would by my food then if i did it again. we live in new gloucester, if you have any questions let me know. kaboose

Happy44
12-31-2013, 23:40
walk............

horicon
01-01-2014, 11:59
Grayhound?? or do you mean Greyhound.