PDA

View Full Version : 2014 First time thru hike gear list. PLEASE look over!

Devin Harvey
12-23-2013, 16:16
Im looking to attempt a thru hike sometime in March of 2014 and have been putting a list together of the equipment I will want to take. I did some hiking when I was younger back in the mid to late 90's as a scout in California but nothing recent at all. Ive done a lot of reseach trying to get a good combintaion of equipment. I know lighter is better and it doesnt come cheap so I hope the stuff ive listed isnt the worst but doesnt neccisarly have to be the best either. I feel like I should be taking more stuff lol but maybe not. If you guys and gals could look it over and let me know what you think that would be awesome. I really love the site and appreciate everybodys help.I have a lot more planning to do but I figured this would be the first things i get squared away. I do have some specific questions though.
1) on a lot of gear list ive looked at i see a vest listed but no jacket, how are you keeping your arms warm? (youll see i listed a vest and a jacket)
2)I havent listed a water system other than some dasani bottles but even that is open. I looked at a Sawyer and Platapus kit at REI this weekend and idk which would be better. The sawyer you can squeeze and the platapus is more of a gravity system but it says 4L of water in 2.5 minutes. that seems really good. is that accurate? would you recomend two 1L platapus bottles instead of (cheap) dasani?
3)shoes Well i did a lot of reseach and it seemed that everybody basically says its all about fit so i went to REI this weekend and got the shoes listed. I tried on a lot of shoes and was really wanting some solamen but they just felt to narrow for me. I know there water proof and some say yay and some say nay. but i think im going to use them to start and drop ship or buy some regular moab when these give up or it gets hot enough i decide i want to. I got the sole listed and seem to be happy with them but i dont know what they should feel like. how do I know im getting the right support?
Packing and Camping
Backpack-ZPack Arc Blast 52L-18.07oz-341.95
Shelter-ZPack Hexamid Solo Tent-14.3oz-$430.00
Stakes-ZPack 6.5" Orange Tough Titanium (10) 2.33oz-$20.00
Sleeping Bag-Zpack 200 900 Fill Power-19.8oz-$420
Sleeping Pad-therm-A-Rest NeoAir X Therm-15oz-$150.00
__________________________________________________ ______________
Total Weight 4.3lb Cost $1362.00
Packed Cloths
Base Layer Top-Terramar Thermasilk Crew-3.4oz-$24.00
Base Layer Bottom-Terramar Thermasilf Pants-3.4oz-$30.00
Torso Insulation-Mont-bell U.L. Down Vest-5.1oz-$120.00
Rain Jacket-ZPacks-5.5oz-$265.00
Spare Socks-Smartwool PHD Running Lite-1.5oz- $20.00
Warm Hat-Mountain Hardware Micro Dome-1.5oz-$18.00
Gloves-Mountain Hardware Powerstretch-2.0oz-$30.00
Midlevel-Smartwool Midleweight Crew-9.0oz-$95.00
Midlevel-Smartwool Lightweght Pants-8.0oz-$85.00
Midlevel-Mont-bell Plasma 1000 Down Jacket-4.8oz-$269.00
__________________________________________________ ___________
Total Weight 2.81lb Cost $976.00
Cooking
Cook Stove-Classic Ti-Tri With Inferno-12.17oz-$119.95
Cook Pot-Evernew Ultra Light 1.3L-$69.95
Pot Cozy-Anitgravity Gear-1.5oz-$12.00
Mug-Evernew TI MUG 400FD-1.7oz-$22.00
Spoon ULV Titanium Spork-.38oz-$8.84
Fire Starter Bic Mini Lighter-.40oz-$2.00
Dish Scrubber-1/3 Scotchbrite Pad-.5oz-$1.00
Towel-1/4 Pack Towel-.5oz-$10.00
Water Container-1L Dasani Bottles-UN-Free
__________________________________________________ ____________________
Total Weight 1.04lb Cost $245.78
Worn
Hiking Shirt-Mont-bell Cool T-shirt-5.6oz-$44.00
Hiking Pants-Mont-bell Trail Ridge Convertable-14oz-$85.00
Underwear-Icebreaker Anatomica Relaxed Boxer-UN-$50.00
Socks-Smartwool PHD Running Lite-1.5oz-$20.00
Shoes-Merrell Moab Water Proof-24oz-$110.00
Insoles-Sole SIGNATURE DK RESPONSE-UN-$45.00
Sunglasses-Okley Fuel Cell-UN-Free
Trecking Poles-Locus Gear CP3-5.5oz-$100.00
__________________________________________________ __________________
Total Weight 3.16lb Cost $454.00

Accesories
Light-Petzl Tikka RXP-4.1oz-$90.00
Knife-Leatherman MICRA or Styles CS-1.4-1.8oz-$30-$35
Sleeping Bag Linner-Sea to Summit Silk Mummy-4.8oz-$60.00
First Aid Kit-Undecided
Hygene-Undecided

-Animal
12-23-2013, 19:14
Well, I can tell you something about choosing footwear:
Many hikers have trouble getting the right footwear. You can try out different shoes until you find one that fits perfectly. The right shoe should feel like there is no shoe or after a week of five to ten mile hikes there should be no pain, tightness, or hot spots. Or another way to go is to get fitted for a shoe. Some running stores offer this service…I used Luke’s Locker when I was in Texas running marathons. When you get fitted you will see what your shoe should feel like. You will also find out if you pronate or supinate and how to match your arch to the shoe/insert. Then finding the right hiking shoe becomes a lot easier. I’ll let someone else tell you about your gear. Good luck and see you on the trail.

Trance
12-24-2013, 09:38
Use Aquamira drops and boil you water if you still think it's unsafe.

You do not need a pump filter... it's a waste of space, money, and time. Treat as you go.... dont wait till you are out of money. I was never waiting on water b/c I stopped to treat some before I ran out and it was ready when I did.

theGABE
12-26-2013, 15:18
I would stay away from the pump filter, like Trance said. About shoes, I saw a lot of Merrell MOAB shoes on the trail this year as well as my Salomon Ultra shoes. I can personally attest to the quality of the MOABs they lasted my more than 1000 miles, they are truly great shoes.

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2013, 15:39
...I know lighter is better and it doesnt come cheap so I hope the stuff ive listed isnt the worst but doesnt neccisarly have to be the best either..."isn't the worst"? All in all that's some pretty high end/high dollar UL gear. I'd ditch the filter, bag liner, and think about the vest. Also, you are carrying both light and mid weight base layers? I'd chose one or the other based upon the season/location and expected temps. I'd also think about carrying three pair of socks - one pair being worn, one pair hanging from pack and drying out, one pair dry. Old school, but I like my feet warm and dry. You don't mention stuff/dry sacks, line/cord, etc.

Don H
12-26-2013, 16:16
Add a second lighter or waterproof matches.
Add a 3rd pair of socks.
You can save weight on your cooking system.
Go with freezerbag cooking and do away with the pot scrubber and all dishwashing. Downsize your pot, I used a Snowpeak 600ml mug with a tinfoil lid since you'll only be boiling a cup or so at a time. Don't use a spork, they poke holes in the freezer bags.

steve0423
12-26-2013, 18:35
1st, My experience with Zpacks stuff has been awesome. I’d also recommend Aquramira for water treatment, I thru hiked with it and won’t use anything else if I can help it. I too think you could go with a smaller pot, I carried a .6L Evernew Ti pot and was very happy with it. Three pairs of darn tough brand socks worked well for me, switched to two pairs when it warmed up. I love Salomons , they just work for me, but I saw a ton of Merrells on the trail and was blown away by the miles some folks were getting out of them. Also Merrell is the only shoe company I know of that will send you one free pair of shoes to anywhere along the trail if you call them up, tell them you’re thru hiking and send them some photos of your old shoes. Respect

evyck da fleet
12-27-2013, 00:58
I'll bite and try to help. 1) For water, I used Aqua Mira and 2 1L Gatorade bottles. If you want to be able to carry more water for camp, I think you can get a 96 oz collapsible bladder that weighs a few ounces at REI. 2) Clothing: I don't think you need a base and midlevel layer. I'd add a second pair of underwear and a third pair of socks if I'm reading your list correctly. I'd probably ditch the vest since you have a down jacket for camp. If its cold you can use your rain jacket as a second layer over a long sleeved shirt to keep your arms warm - hiking should keep you warm after you've been going for 15 minutes. 3) Footwear you'll figure out on your own and you can switch if you don't like what you started with. I started with a cheap pair of NB switched to Salomon then to Merrill, when I got some free shoes, but ultimately went back to Salomons to finish my hike.

Happy44
12-27-2013, 01:10
did u win the lotto?

okiefree
02-09-2014, 16:49
Use Aquamira drops and boil you water if you still think it's unsafe.

You do not need a pump filter... it's a waste of space, money, and time. Treat as you go.... dont wait till you are out of money. I was never waiting on water b/c I stopped to treat some before I ran out and it was ready when I did.

A good filter that removes bacteria, is quite small, weighs 2.2oz and hardly a waste of "space, money, and time"). As far as time, it's much faster than a weak solution of chlorine dioxide (aquamira) that is not effective in the amount of exposure time most hikers allow.

Sierra2015
02-09-2014, 17:12
... Wealthy/super supportive parents??

I'm feeling gear envy. :p