PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail VT, October, which Hennessey Underquilt?

JoeHiker
08-29-2005, 13:56
I'll be hiking the Long Trail in October from the 12th to the 30th. Most nights I'll probably sleep in shelters but I'm bringing my HH along with me and plan to use it at least a few times.

I have a Western Mountaineering Alpinish 20° sleeping bag and an Oware Evazote underpad (which I chose because it can also be used in a hammock without slipping problems).

But I don't know which underquilt to buy. Would the Shenandoah blanket along with the Oware Pad (plus the sleeping bag, of course) be enough to keep most people warm in the Green Mountains in October or should I spend the extra $70, deal with the extra 5 ounces, and buy the Nest Down Under quilt instead?

Thanks,

-Joe

JoeHiker
08-29-2005, 14:29
I am referring to the Jacks R Better underquilts (in case that is by any chance unclear).

neo
08-29-2005, 14:51
I am referring to the Jacks R Better underquilts (in case that is by any chance unclear).
i will be section hiking from dalton mass to franconia notch from oct 9th
to oct 22 nd,i will be using my henn.hammock ultralite non asym,my
8x8 silnylon jacksrbetter tarp,my 30 degree speer quilt,and a pad i really
like from walmart:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7242/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7105/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6063/sort/1/cat/500/page/15

neo
08-29-2005, 14:54
I'll be hiking the Long Trail in October from the 12th to the 30th. Most nights I'll probably sleep in shelters but I'm bringing my HH along with me and plan to use it at least a few times.

I have a Western Mountaineering Alpinish 20° sleeping bag and an Oware Evazote underpad (which I chose because it can also be used in a hammock without slipping problems).

But I don't know which underquilt to buy. Would the Shenandoah blanket along with the Oware Pad (plus the sleeping bag, of course) be enough to keep most people warm in the Green Mountains in October or should I spend the extra $70, deal with the extra 5 ounces, and buy the Nest Down Under quilt instead?

Thanks,

-Joe

i would buy the jacks r better nest underquilt,i plann on buying the jacks r better 3 season quilt set one day:cool: neo

JoeHiker
08-30-2005, 13:40
i would buy the jacks r better nest underquilt,i plann on buying the jacks r better 3 season quilt set one day:cool: neo
Yes, I guess I'd probably regret it if I didn't buy enough. It can get down into the 30s and below that time of year.

Thanks Neo.

peter_pan
08-30-2005, 13:53
JoeHiker,

The Shanandoah Universal Blanket is realatively new down product from us ... As such, there are not a lot of them in the field and no one has had a chance to push the temperature range of the SUB since it has not been cold yet for these owners...Since responses from this limited population is not likely I offer some thoughts to help your deliberation.

This quilt was built to allow hammock hangers to get below the 5 lb range in base weights to meet Backpackinglight.com SUL challenge without pads and without having to leave the hammock behind...and to get significantly below the one pound barrier... It has a simplified sew thru design with out head hole or slit entrance... 800 pf Down is used and the calculated fill is 1.2 inches....because of the sew thru design it will appear as 1.8 or so, but because of the varing thickness caused by the sew thru it is a 45 degree quilt/blanket... Some will note that it was originally called the Summer UB...but since it is more correctly a two season item , and a great item midway thru AT, for Virginia, the name was quickly changed to Shanandoah UB.

While it may suffice for your intended hike in Oct, it is better to consider your generalize hiking patterns both by season and local...

If you see yourself hiking more, into Nov, Mar, April and in the more northern states you would probably be better off with the Nest which although heavier by 6 oz is still light...It is 2+ inches thick and baffled... It has an entrance slit to match the HH, more convient... and it is a wearable as a parka length vest.

If, on the other hand, you are a serious and experienced Ultralighter dedicated to becoming SUL and want a one or two season moderate temperature quilt/ balanket consider the SUB.

PM me if you want to discuss this in more detail.

Pan

JoeHiker
08-30-2005, 15:29
Thanks PP and Neo. I'm going with the Nest Down Under tomorrow (payday!)

neo
08-30-2005, 16:01
Thanks PP and Neo. I'm going with the Nest Down Under tomorrow (payday!)
i am going to buy the 3 season quilt set soon as my wife lets me:cool: neo

JoeHiker
08-31-2005, 10:06
i will be section hiking from dalton mass to franconia notch from oct 9th
to oct 22 nd,i will be using my henn.hammock ultralite non asym,my
/sort/1/cat/500/page/15 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6063/sort/1/cat/500/page/15)
Hey Neo, it looks like I'll probably just miss you. I'm heading North to South on the LT so I won't hit the LT/AT southern section until probably a few days after you've turned off towards NH.