PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about showering or ways to stay clean

Buzzy84
12-24-2013, 16:39
I know there's lots of hotels and hostels on the way where you could shower. But what if you would like to stay on the trail as much as possible to save money? Is there any other ways to freshen up?

Tipi Walter
12-24-2013, 16:47
This is sort of a no-brainer---and I like to avoid towns as much as anyone. In the summer you jump into a creek and bring your Bronners (I know, I know, rinse away from the water). In the winter you either do a partial bath with your pot/or water bottle and Bronners (for face and scalp and hands and hair), or you wet a paper towel/bandana with water and scrub your body---repeat as needed. If it's -10F and you feel cruddy just warm up a cup of water with the stove and clean with a hot cloth/paper towel/bandana.

Buzzy84
12-24-2013, 17:01
Ya that is a no brainer alright lol but like you said, rinse away from water n all that. Looking for more of those kind of ideas. Many streams down south that dont get used for drinking water?
Bronners is good stuff huh?

Robin2013AT
12-24-2013, 17:04
baby wipes. some people dry them out first and remoisten as needed.

Bags4266
12-24-2013, 17:49
two quart platy with a top that has holes drilled in it. Heat one quart of water pour into cold one. perfect to shower with with. I manage to do it with one quart, I have a crew cut though. When its to cold I just towel off with water and bandana.

squeezebox
12-24-2013, 18:01
Bandanas or those sham wow things from the auto parts store ?
I want 3 ; 1 to dry,1 to wash, 1 for the extra dirty places,
I'm leaning towards those shamy things 8x8" they hold more water than a bandana

Buzzy84
12-24-2013, 18:11

I was thinking of baby wipes just not sure i could afford em. But will look into it for sure.

two quart platy with a top that has holes drilled in it. Heat one quart of water pour into cold one. perfect to shower with with. I manage to do it with one quart, I have a crew cut though. When its to cold I just towel off with water and bandana.

Sounds like this could work.. Thanks!

Bandanas or those sham wow things from the auto parts store ?
I want 3 ; 1 to dry,1 to wash, 1 for the extra dirty places,
I'm leaning towards those shamy things 8x8" they hold more water than a bandana

I agree i think they may dry quicker too. I've never used one tho.

jimmyjam
12-24-2013, 19:54

The Coleman wipes from walmart work great. dry them out and add water to them when you use them.

Del Q
12-24-2013, 20:16
Washing up is one item, to me its also what you wear. Merino wool for me has been a game changer. Freshen up with water every day, wash the salt off your body and groin areas...........wash and air out tee shirt when you can. I used to wear synthetic tops, nasty!!!!

I carry a 1 gallon plastic jug, light, fill it up, bring a light washcloth........pin it to the outside of my pack during the day, wash up, pour it over my head, always refreshing, dry off with shammy, put night clothes on asap

My section hikes are late March and Sept/Oct so it is usually chilly at night............washing up and getting into my night clothes and sleeping bag is a great way to end the day. Add a bit of scotch or whiskey, not a bad day!

Buzzy84
12-24-2013, 20:27
The Coleman wipes from walmart work great. dry them out and add water to them when you use them.

I'll be sure to check those out..

Washing up is one item, to me its also what you wear. Merino wool for me has been a game changer. Freshen up with water every day, wash the salt off your body and groin areas...........wash and air out tee shirt when you can. I used to wear synthetic tops, nasty!!!!

I carry a 1 gallon plastic jug, light, fill it up, bring a light washcloth........pin it to the outside of my pack during the day, wash up, pour it over my head, always refreshing, dry off with shammy, put night clothes on asap

My section hikes are late March and Sept/Oct so it is usually chilly at night............washing up and getting into my night clothes and sleeping bag is a great way to end the day. Add a bit of scotch or whiskey, not a bad day!

Sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks i'll keep this in mind. The liquor might not be a bad idea either, But i dont think i'll be drinking on this trip, that could change tho.

Storm
12-24-2013, 20:29
You are going to get dirty. No way around it. I carry a nylon bucket to wash in when it gets warm. When it's cold just wait till I hit a hostel or camp where I can get a hot shower for a couple bucks. If I have the money nothing beats a long hot shower at a motel/hotel. Also you will not be the only dirty person and may be more out of place being fresh and clean.

Buzzy84
12-24-2013, 20:37
You are going to get dirty. No way around it. I carry a nylon bucket to wash in when it gets warm. When it's cold just wait till I hit a hostel or camp where I can get a hot shower for a couple bucks. If I have the money nothing beats a long hot shower at a motel/hotel. Also you will not be the only dirty person and may be more out of place being fresh and clean.

Thanks for the reply Storm, Ya I don't mind getting dirty but there's certain times you just can't take it anymore..
Do the hostels let you shower for a couple bucks even if you don't stay there?

Tipi Walter
12-24-2013, 20:59
Thanks for the reply Storm, Ya I don't mind getting dirty but there's certain times you just can't take it anymore..

Another good trick is to bring two pair of lightweight silk or nylon underwear and on Day 10 of a 20 day trip swap out the old for the clean and try to wash out the old in a creek. This elevates the mood sometimes on long winter trips.

Buzzy84
12-24-2013, 21:12
Another good trick is to bring two pair of lightweight silk or nylon underwear and on Day 10 of a 20 day trip swap out the old for the clean and try to wash out the old in a creek. This elevates the mood sometimes on long winter trips.

Thanks, Walt. I do have 5 pairs coming in the mail. I have not weighed my pack yet tho so I cant say if i'll be bringing them all. I am a bigger guy tho so i carry more than most light hikers carry.

Tipi Walter
12-24-2013, 21:27
Thanks, Walt. I do have 5 pairs coming in the mail. I have not weighed my pack yet tho so I cant say if i'll be bringing them all. I am a bigger guy tho so i carry more than most light hikers carry.

Only 2 pair are needed---one to wear (it helps to keep the shorts or leggings clean) and one clean.

Buzzy84
12-24-2013, 21:52
Only 2 pair are needed---one to wear (it helps to keep the shorts or leggings clean) and one clean.

I'll keep that in mind

Turk6177
12-24-2013, 23:23
I just use a bandana and water to wash dirt off at the end of the day. Before bed, I use an alcohol hand sanitizing wipe or a baby wipe to wash the private areas to keep any funk from forming. If I am really grimy, I will put a drop of Dr. Bronner's soap on my bandana. I haven't been out for weeks at a time, so I don't know if my method would work over the long haul.

WILLIAM HAYES
12-24-2013, 23:36
I carry an extra nalgene lid with small holes drilled in it and use it as a shower works great if its chilly you can always heat up the water

Storm
12-25-2013, 11:09

When you get your guide book there will be prices listed for showers without stay for those that do.

Buzzy84
12-25-2013, 11:35
When you get your guide book there will be prices listed for showers without stay for those that do.

Ok sweet Thanks!

Rain Man
12-25-2013, 13:23
two quart platy with a top that has holes drilled in it.

Gotta agree with this one! And if I'm on a short hike (weekend, etc) I leave a gallon milk jug or Clorox jug of water in the trunk, with a spare cap with holes drilled into it. It's usually warm when I get back, so I shower and change into clean clothes and have a more pleasant drive home. Of course, I have gotten strange looks when pouring "Clorox" all over my head and body, no matter how dirty I got! LOL

On the trail, I use rubbing alcohol and small cotton pads from the ladies' make up department. Easy to burn or use as a first starter too.

Rain:sunMan

Buzzy84
12-25-2013, 13:45
Gotta agree with this one! And if I'm on a short hike (weekend, etc) I leave a gallon milk jug or Clorox jug of water in the trunk, with a spare cap with holes drilled into it. It's usually warm when I get back, so I shower and change into clean clothes and have a more pleasant drive home. Of course, I have gotten strange looks when pouring "Clorox" all over my head and body, no matter how dirty I got! LOL

On the trail, I use rubbing alcohol and small cotton pads from the ladies' make up department. Easy to burn or use as a first starter too.

Thanks Rain Man for the input. I bet you have gotten some strange looks with the clorox hahaha. rubbin alcohol noted. thanks

bigcranky
12-25-2013, 16:55
I can give myself a pretty good cleaning with two baby wipes. So a .99cent package lasts a while. But for weight and cost a bandana bath works just as well.

Buzzy84
12-25-2013, 17:07
I can give myself a pretty good cleaning with two baby wipes. So a .99cent package lasts a while. But for weight and cost a bandana bath works just as well.

Thanks Cranky! Gonna look into wipes

Different Socks
12-25-2013, 17:29
I carry a water bag with a shower head. Use it for cleaning, showering and/or water supply especially if said supply is far from the shelter.

Buzzy84
12-25-2013, 18:27
I carry a water bag with a shower head. Use it for cleaning, showering and/or water supply especially if said supply is far from the shelter.

Thanks for the idea

handlebar
12-25-2013, 21:23
I use a gallon size ziplock freezer bag folded down about halfway as a wash basin and my "luxury item" wash cloth to wash the buildup of salt off myself. Every few days I'll add a small bit of Dr. Bronners bar soap (cut down) to take a "bucket bath". I find this very refreshing as long as the temperature is above freezing.

shelb
12-25-2013, 23:29
I agree with the bandana wash for most areas.... However, as others mentioned, the wipes or sanitizer for groan and underarm areas is wise. These areas tend to chafe, and you do not want any sweat, salt residue there.

Zippy Morocco
12-26-2013, 12:40

This is my exact method. It is especially nice if you have a hiking partner that will help out. Then you have a proper shower.

RED-DOG
12-27-2013, 12:20
are you gonna carry a water bladder, like platypuss? if so you can use that, fill it up, hang up side down with a piece of string or food bag rope with the drink tube hanging down, and use the drink nozzle like a shower head, it's very easy to do and you can go as far away from the creek as you need to.

Rain Man
12-27-2013, 12:26
Thanks Rain Man for the input. I bet you have gotten some strange looks with the clorox hahaha.

Yep! And sometimes I turn it up to chug out of it if I'm thirsty. I've seen eyes get pretty wide after a beginners' hike and it's still all new to them. LOL

Buzzy84
12-27-2013, 13:43
I'm not sure what kinda water jug i'll be taking but ya probly some sort of bladder. But I don't think that would work very well for me. I think i'm gonna just use baby wipes or something like that. and just pay for showers when i can along the way, and just take a dip if i see a swimming hole

Bags4266
12-27-2013, 14:04
When I go with my girl for a long trip I also use my poncho as a shower stall. I find three trees close to one another and tie off the poncho in a triangle.

Buzzy84
12-27-2013, 14:16
When I go with my girl for a long trip I also use my poncho as a shower stall. I find three trees close to one another and tie off the poncho in a triangle.

Good idea.

CoffeeBager
12-27-2013, 17:27
Just a heads up for women: Most women should seriously limit or avoid alcohol-based cleansers (hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes) in the genital region since they can kill off good as well as bad bacteria and make some women more susceptible to things like yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis. Some baby wipes can cause irritation for some women, too, since they can have a number of chemical ingredients that you may/may not react to, so try them out before you decide to rely on them on the trail so you can find a brand that works for you.

You can also make your own. I haven't done it yet, but there are lots of paper towel-based "recipes" for them online with a google search for "homemade baby wipes". I haven't tried making any yet, but I might later this winter.

Lyte-w8-hyker
12-27-2013, 18:07
This is some good advice. I hate chaffing.

Alpha3168
12-27-2013, 18:33
Well this is from an old special operations military guy, your just gonna stink nothing sweet about it 10 days or so without a shower. Nothing wrong with a stream, there are soaps that are environmentally safe. The biggest thing is to keep clean after releiving yourself. Clean up with baby wipes and lube up with baby rash lube. Trust me very important nothing worse than hiking with a rash. Hope it helps may sound funny until you get a rash that rubs and rubs.

Cro-Mag
12-27-2013, 18:34
Hey! We're the same age and I lived in Lewiston/Auburn from 4th grade to 12th grade. Weird!

Buzzy84
12-27-2013, 19:03
Hey! We're the same age and I lived in Lewiston/Auburn from 4th grade to 12th grade. Weird!

Huh no kiddin thats sweet. I'm not from L/A but live hear now. Can't wait to leave lol

Dogwood
12-27-2013, 19:05
I was thinking of baby wipes just not sure i could afford em. But will look into it for sure.

Packages of Baby Wipes can be purchased in Dollar Stores along the way for, uh let's see, $1. If you can't afford to "spurge" on this "luxury" item you probably shouldn't TRY to hike the AT. It DOES take some amount of resources, including financial resources, to hike the AT for very long.

Buzzy84
12-27-2013, 19:10
This is some good advice. I hate chaffing.

I hate chaffing as well that's why i'm trying to figure out best way to stay clean. Plenty of good tips so far.

Well this is from an old special operations military guy, your just gonna stink nothing sweet about it 10 days or so without a shower. Nothing wrong with a stream, there are soaps that are environmentally safe. The biggest thing is to keep clean after releiving yourself. Clean up with baby wipes and lube up with baby rash lube. Trust me very important nothing worse than hiking with a rash. Hope it helps may sound funny until you get a rash that rubs and rubs.

Thanks for the input. And thanks for your service Alpha

Buzzy84
12-27-2013, 19:13
Packages of Baby Wipes can be purchased in Dollar Stores along the way for, uh let's see, $1. If you can't afford to "spurge" on this "luxury" item you probably shouldn't TRY to hike the AT. It DOES take some amount of resources, including financial resources, to hike the AT for very long.

Cool good to know.. Since i Don't have kids i've never bought baby wipes therefore not knowing price..

Coffee
12-27-2013, 19:18
I recommend Wet Ones single use packets, "extra gentle" and essentially unscented:

http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Ones-Singles-Sensitive-Individually/dp/B000GCOLZC/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_y

I typically use one or two per day and save at least two for use before going into a store or other parts of "civilization". One for face, arms, and hands, another for armpits and groin area (in that order). I might still stink but I haven't had any negative comments yet. Works out to about 17 cents per individual packet if you buy three 24 count boxes from Amazon.

Buzzy84
12-27-2013, 19:26
I recommend Wet Ones single use packets, "extra gentle" and essentially unscented:

http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Ones-Singles-Sensitive-Individually/dp/B000GCOLZC/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_y

I typically use one or two per day and save at least two for use before going into a store or other parts of "civilization". One for face, arms, and hands, another for armpits and groin area (in that order). I might still stink but I haven't had any negative comments yet. Works out to about 17 cents per individual packet if you buy three 24 count boxes from Amazon.

Good deal. Thanks

Papa D
12-27-2013, 20:54
This is sort of a no-brainer---and I like to avoid towns as much as anyone. In the summer you jump into a creek and bring your Bronners (I know, I know, rinse away from the water). In the winter you either do a partial bath with your pot/or water bottle and Bronners (for face and scalp and hands and hair), or you wet a paper towel/bandana with water and scrub your body---repeat as needed. If it's -10F and you feel cruddy just warm up a cup of water with the stove and clean with a hot cloth/paper towel/bandana.

I was going to respond to this thread but I would have done it almost exactly as Tipi did. This is exactly what I do. I do carry a very small light pack towel that I dedicate to cleaning myself - - if it's warm enough to get naked next to a creek or a stream for a few minutes, you can just soak your pack towel and sponge yourself down really good for a few minutes - - I squeeze out the nasty dirty water in the dirt and then re-wet the towel in the water source - downstream from where anyone would collect water. My practices are as close to LNT as I can be. I can do this down to about 25 or 30 degrees - - if it's colder, I do what Tipi suggests with warmed water. You can keep surprisingly clean and tidy in the woods if you work at it a bit.

Papa D
12-27-2013, 20:55
I was going to respond to this thread but I would have done it almost exactly as Tipi did. This is exactly what I do. I do carry a very small light pack towel that I dedicate to cleaning myself - - if it's warm enough to get naked next to a creek or a stream for a few minutes, you can just soak your pack towel and sponge yourself down really good for a few minutes - - I squeeze out the nasty dirty water in the dirt and then re-wet the towel in the water source - downstream from where anyone would collect water. My practices are as close to LNT as I can be. I can do this down to about 25 or 30 degrees - - if it's colder, I do what Tipi suggests with warmed water. You can keep surprisingly clean and tidy in the woods if you work at it a bit.

I DO NOT use "wet ones" or any of that wasteful nonsense - - they are gross in my opinion and are totally unnecessary

Hill Ape
12-28-2013, 17:48
there will be hiker smell

Dogwood
12-28-2013, 20:16
Absolutely enjoy your almost comical sense of communication of appreciation, enthusiasm, and attitude of openness and non argumentative approach in your replies. Funny. So nice to witness whatever your doing. :)

"Looking for more of those kind of ideas. Bronners is good stuff huh? ... will look into it for sure. Sounds like this could work. Thanks! I'll be sure to check those out. Sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks i'll keep this in mind. The liquor might not be a bad idea either, But i dont think i'll be drinking on this trip, that could change tho. Thanks for the reply Storm, Ya I don't mind getting dirty but there's certain times you just can't take it anymore.....Thanks, Walt. Ok sweet Thanks! Thanks Rain Man for the input. I bet you have gotten some strange looks with the clorox hahaha. rubbin alcohol noted. thanks. Good idea. Huh no kiddin thats sweet. Plenty of good tips so far. Thanks for the input. And thanks for your service Alpha. Cool good to know.. Since i Don't have kids i've never bought baby wipes therefore not knowing price. Good deal. Thanks"

:banana

Buzzy84
12-28-2013, 21:28
Absolutely enjoy your almost comical sense of communication of appreciation, enthusiasm, and attitude of openness and non argumentative approach in your replies. Funny. So nice to witness whatever your doing. :)

"Looking for more of those kind of ideas. Bronners is good stuff huh? ... will look into it for sure. Sounds like this could work. Thanks! I'll be sure to check those out. Sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks i'll keep this in mind. The liquor might not be a bad idea either, But i dont think i'll be drinking on this trip, that could change tho.Thanks for the reply Storm, Ya I don't mind getting dirty but there's certain times you just can't take it anymore.....Thanks, Walt. Ok sweet Thanks! Thanks Rain Man for the input. I bet you have gotten some strange looks with the clorox hahaha. rubbin alcohol noted. thanks. Good idea. Huh no kiddin thats sweet. Plenty of good tips so far. Thanks for the input. And thanks for your service Alpha. Cool good to know.. Since i Don't have kids i've never bought baby wipes therefore not knowing price. Good deal. Thanks"

:banana

Is there a problem Dog??

Dogwood
12-29-2013, 03:24
Absolutely not. I'm enjoying your posts. You demonstrate a lot of politeness, appreciation, and openness to new ideas. I enjoy that. It's nice to witness. :D

Buzzy84
12-29-2013, 12:10
Absolutely not. I'm enjoying your posts. You demonstrate a lot of politeness, appreciation, and openness to new ideas. I enjoy that. It's nice to witness. :D

Oh ok i read into it wrong sorry about that.. I'm here to learn everything i can before i embark on this adventure and i truly do appreciate everyone's previous knowledge. Just doing my part to be polite and maybe, just maybe everyone will do the same. :)

QiWiz
12-30-2013, 12:58
I bring a lightweight water bucket like the ones from Sea to Summit, a small pack towel, and a small bottle of Camp Suds. Fill the bucket at a water source, walk into the woods far enough that you can't see anyone (if you want to be modest and private, my preference), and wash up. With careful bucket water management, I usually have enough left over water to wash out my hiking shirt, socks, and boxers (having brought my camp/sleep wear with me to change into). My nylon hiking shirt will be worn again the next day after drying overnight while the socks and boxers are pinned to the outside of my pack to finish drying as I hike. This for me is a daily routine though if it's pouring rain I usually don't do the clothes washing part.

mainelydave
12-30-2013, 14:03
Huh no kiddin thats sweet. I'm not from L/A but live hear now. Can't wait to leave lol

The Dirty Lew!

Dogwood
12-30-2013, 15:43
Buzzy, you'll attract that which you give. You''ll experience many wonderful things in your life because that's what you are attracting by imparting it into other folk's lives. :)

Getting back to the topic, and along the lines of what DelQ and QiWiz said they do, a guy a hiked with on the PCT had the trail name Milkjug Express because he hiked fast with a cut down plastic 1 gal milk jug hanging off the back of his backpack to gather water and use as a basin to wash up in and wash his clothes. He carried a small bar of soap or sometimes a small bottle of Dr Bronners Peppermint liquid soap. You can also buy collapsible basins that fold totally flat or that are flexible enough to crunch up into a ball like at outdoor gear stores( I've seen hikers with ones that crunch up so small they fit inside their solo sized cookware) and in food gadget's depts like in Bed Bath and Beyond. They even sell these at some big Pet Stores(Pet Smart for example) for dogs that could be used. The eucalyptus, lavender, and especially the Peppermint are nice. I typically drop a small bottle of Dr Bronners Peppermint into a mailed resupply box that I use for washing clothes and gear being my laundry detergent, washing ME(including using as a shampoo and body liquid soap), brushing my teeth, as a deodorant, and as something that MAY have some insect repellancy for me.

You could just carry a bandanna and/or super absorbent small ditty wash cloth(like a Sham Wow or equivalent, they sell these at virtually al hiking gear stores) and wash up on the trail. Doing this, as well as keeping nails cut, AND having a cleaner shirt, pr of dry cleaner socks, and maybe occasionally changing into cleaner clothes for the bottom half go a LONG way in feeling more human on the trail for me. Many long distance hikers, including myself, snap a few safety pins onto the outside of our backpacks to let washed/wet clothes dry by hanging on the outside of our backpacks. In this regard, and to repeat what DelQ already said, merino wool clothing tends to not get as funky smelling as much of the synthetic clothing. My super absorbant hand sized washing clothe is my do all ditty clothe for cooking, cleaning, etc. A bandanna could work as well. :)

One other thing I do that the vast majority of male hikers don't do is regularly shave my face and cut my hair short although I do usually maintain a gottee on long distance hikes. I get it regularly cut into a professional short length style while on trail particularly in the warmer summer months when hiking. IMHO, removing facial hair can cut down on the grundge factor and maintenance of hair while just making me feel cleaner. This is counter to what most long distance hikers do though. It can seem a bit overly fussy to some. Many male hikers wear their hair long, including not shaving, for long periods or for their entire long distance hikes, making many to appear even more gundgy IMHO but they often do it like they are wearing a badge of masculinity.

Keeping cleaner on the trail than a bear or Sasquatch doesn't need to be a big deal or be made into something that's inconvenient. Some hikers get lazy and use hiking as an excuse though to stay grundgy as if they have to. BS.

Buzzy84
12-30-2013, 16:17
I bring a lightweight water bucket like the ones from Sea to Summit, a small pack towel, and a small bottle of Camp Suds. Fill the bucket at a water source, walk into the woods far enough that you can't see anyone (if you want to be modest and private, my preference), and wash up. With careful bucket water management, I usually have enough left over water to wash out my hiking shirt, socks, and boxers (having brought my camp/sleep wear with me to change into). My nylon hiking shirt will be worn again the next day after drying overnight while the socks and boxers are pinned to the outside of my pack to finish drying as I hike. This for me is a daily routine though if it's pouring rain I usually don't do the clothes washing part.

Thanks for your input Qiwiz. Plenty of good practices.

The Dirty Lew!

Exactly! haha

Buzzy, you'll attract that which you give. You''ll experience many wonderful things in your life because that's what you are attracting by imparting it into other folk's lives. :)

Getting back to the topic, and along the lines of what DelQ and QiWiz said they do, a guy a hiked with on the PCT had the trail name Milkjug Express because he hiked fast with a cut down plastic 1 gal milk jug hanging off the back of his backpack to gather water and use as a basin to wash up in and wash his clothes. He carried a small bar of soap or sometimes a small bottle of Dr Bronners Peppermint liquid soap. You can also buy collapsible basins that fold totally flat or that are flexible enough to crunch up into a ball like at outdoor gear stores( I've seen hikers with ones that crunch up so small they fit inside their solo sized cookware) and in food gadget's depts like in Bed Bath and Beyond. They even sell these at some big Pet Stores(Pet Smart for example) for dogs that could be used. The eucalyptus, lavender, and especially the Peppermint are nice. I typically drop a small bottle of Dr Bronners Peppermint into a mailed resupply box that I use for washing clothes and gear being my laundry detergent, washing ME(including using as a shampoo and body liquid soap), brushing my teeth, as a deodorant, and as something that MAY have some insect repellancy for me.

You could just carry a bandanna and/or super absorbent small ditty wash cloth(like a Sham Wow or equivalent, they sell these at virtually al hiking gear stores) and wash up on the trail. Doing this, as well as keeping nails cut, AND having a cleaner shirt, pr of dry cleaner socks, and maybe occasionally changing into cleaner clothes for the bottom half go a LONG way in feeling more human on the trail for me. Many long distance hikers, including myself, snap a few safety pins onto the outside of our backpacks to let washed/wet clothes dry by hanging on the outside of our backpacks. In this regard, and to repeat what DelQ already said, merino wool clothing tends to not get as funky smelling as much of the synthetic clothing. My super absorbant hand sized washing clothe is my do all ditty clothe for cooking, cleaning, etc. A bandanna could work as well. :)

One other thing I do that the vast majority of male hikers don't do is regularly shave my face and cut my hair short although I do usually maintain a gottee on long distance hikes. I get it regularly cut into a professional short length style while on trail particularly in the warmer summer months when hiking. IMHO, removing facial hair can cut down on the grundge factor and maintenance of hair while just making me feel cleaner. This is counter to what most long distance hikers do though. It can seem a bit overly fussy to some. Many male hikers wear their hair long, including not shaving, for long periods or for their entire long distance hikes, making many to appear even more gundgy IMHO but they often do it like they are wearing a badge of masculinity.

Keeping cleaner on the trail than a bear or Sasquatch doesn't need to be a big deal or be made into something that's inconvenient. Some hikers get lazy and use hiking as an excuse though to stay grundgy as if they have to. BS.

Thanks gotta run now but i'll comment later

Buzzy84
12-31-2013, 10:15
Thats right Dogwood. Thanks for taking the time to write out all them suggestions from what you've experience. An empty milk jug sounds like a good idea, nice and light when empty.. need a sham wow or 2 for sure.. As for the hair it will stay short, the beard i'm in the middle of growing my beard for a year so I'll be hiking with till June 1st at least, then it will probly come off since it'll be so hot and buggy. But good point I think it will be challenging to take care of a beard out there through the muggyness and all

Slo-go'en
12-31-2013, 11:36
Just keeping your hands and face reasonably clean is 99% of the battle and isn't hard to do. The rest of you doesn't matter that much. Unless you like to hike in shorts, then you'll want to wipe the dirt off your legs each night. Keeping your hair short and beard trimmed is also a big help. A small pair of sissors is all you need to keep your beard trim.

If you do use wet wipes, carry the used ones out (have a ziplock to store them in) or burn them in the fire pit. They do not decompose well in the privy and thier anti-bacterial properties could harm the molding privies. I use them for my butt, after the usual TP treatment. It seems that's the only way to keep that area clean...

Buzzy84
12-31-2013, 12:56
Just keeping your hands and face reasonably clean is 99% of the battle and isn't hard to do. The rest of you doesn't matter that much. Unless you like to hike in shorts, then you'll want to wipe the dirt off your legs each night. Keeping your hair short and beard trimmed is also a big help. A small pair of sissors is all you need to keep your beard trim.

If you do use wet wipes, carry the used ones out (have a ziplock to store them in) or burn them in the fire pit. They do not decompose well in the privy and thier anti-bacterial properties could harm the molding privies. I use them for my butt, after the usual TP treatment. It seems that's the only way to keep that area clean...

Good advice, thanks Slo-Go'en

HikerMom58
12-31-2013, 13:32
Oh ok i read into it wrong sorry about that.. I'm here to learn everything i can before i embark on this adventure and i truly do appreciate everyone's previous knowledge. Just doing my part to be polite and maybe, just maybe everyone will do the same. :)

Yup, that's all you can do Buzzy. Don't be shocked if some aren't polite back to you, tho. For reasons unknown to anyone but themselves, some will not be able to control themselves & they will be "ugly" to you, for no reason. I still find that hard to understand & put up with myself....:rolleyes:

That is so true, Dogwood! :) There are exceptions to this but you can't control others so it then becomes each persons responsibility to deal with the "exceptions" wisely. It's not easy, sometimes! :p

There's a lot of good advice on this thread! :sun

Dogwood
12-31-2013, 14:17
Above ALL else Buzzy, this is what I think you would be BEST to always keep in mind about hiking, particularly on a site like WB or any other hiking related web site: These are only opinions given, MOSTLY given in regard to what has or can work for others. These are only options being given THAT MAY WORK FOR YOU. There is no "this is how it is done" way that's right for everyone when it comes to hiking. Hiking, unless you're going on an organized led hike, where there is a leader calling many of the shots, means what you do is up to you. You have to really grasp that and step forward into that position when you hike. Consider, observe, adjust, go hike.

Buzzy84
12-31-2013, 15:29
Above ALL else Buzzy, this is what I think you would be BEST to always keep in mind about hiking, particularly on a site like WB or any other hiking related web site: These are only opinions given, MOSTLY given in regard to what has or can work for others. These are only options being given THAT MAY WORK FOR YOU. There is no "this is how it is done" way that's right for everyone when it comes to hiking. Hiking, unless you're going on an organized led hike, where there is a leader calling many of the shots, means what you do is up to you. You have to really grasp that and step forward into that position when you hike. Consider, observe, adjust, go hike.

Exactly, I hear ya. It's a good start for someone fairly new like myself. I'll just take it all into perspective and do what i think will work for me, and maybe try a few things before the trail kind of hard to do in the winter but maybe i can try a few things right at home anyways.

Buzzy84
12-31-2013, 15:43
[/B]

Yup, that's all you can do Buzzy. Don't be shocked if some aren't polite back to you, tho. For reasons unknown to anyone but themselves, some will not be able to control themselves & they will be "ugly" to you, for no reason. I still find that hard to understand & put up with myself....:rolleyes:

That's right HikerMom.:) It's the way of the world I guess. Luckily there's lots of nice folks on here, the bad apples are few and far between :)

That is so true, Dogwood! :) There are exceptions to this but you can't control others so it then becomes each persons responsibility to deal with the "exceptions" wisely. It's not easy, sometimes! :p

There's a lot of good advice on this thread! :sun

There sure is! A wide selection of all different sorts of ways to stay clean. Very good info