PDA

View Full Version : clothes recommendation.specifically baselayers

Bencape4
12-25-2013, 00:13
So I'm getting all ready for my thru and clothes are last struggle.
I Am a very lightweight hiker. But not the most in clothing.
So any recommendations are welcome, but tentatively I'm thinking:
Target brand girls short shorts (I basically live in these year round)
Mountain hardwear convertible pants(also womans because they zip a bit shorter)
Mountain hardwear quarter zip fleece
Lightweight koppen down jacket
North face rain shell

So i need to figure out shirts and base layer. I hear Merino wool is nice but I need to hear brands.
links would help.

Basically any input is appreciated. But I am on a super tight budget and there's not much I can do about that. However, what's necessary is necessary.

Feral Bill
12-25-2013, 02:27
Good wool (Smartwool and such) is costly. For me it's worth it, but a tight budget suggests generic polyester for your base layer. See your local big box or surplus store.

johnnybgood
12-25-2013, 03:21
Target sells the C-9 polyester shirts for warmer weather for under $25 . Begin searching for sales after the holidays from your big name online outfitters for the cold weather woolen base layers.

Ercoupe
12-25-2013, 07:22
Stoic from backcountry.com is the least expensive Merino wool, I have found. I only have a short sleeve shirt, but it has held up fairly well. Smartwool is probably more durable.

I have never used bottoms, sleep in my pants. When I am hiking my legs stay warm. Love the wool really cuts down on the body odor.

Bencape4
12-25-2013, 22:12
Thanks guys! This helped me get looking a little better. I decided on icebreaker brand base layer. Got lightweight Merino wool bottoms for 36 and shirt for 27. Big Christmas sale today at sierra trading post. I was also able to use the discount to get a lot of other things I needed.

tecti
12-28-2013, 16:46
Hello,
I'm also looking for my baselayer and have just heard about fishnet (mesh) baselayer. I heard it was the best you could have: warm, gets your sweat off your skin, etc. But I haven't found it in stores, only online (Wiggy's, Aclima and Brynje). Does anybody know about these baselayers? These brands? Have you suggestions?

w00dchuck
12-29-2013, 11:15
Base layers are only really a concern in cold weather. I have tried all the options from poly pro to smart wool. Hands down smart wool is worth every penny. I can't think of anything worse than being 25 miles deep in the woods wishing I hadn't cheaped out on my underwear. IMHO

Wise Old Owl
12-29-2013, 12:01
Smart wool in my mind refers to socks. Did you mean Under Armour? Feral Bill mentioned generic polyester its the tighter the weave the better it traps air and allows sweat to wick away as poly cannot hold water or sweat. Swim in it and 10-30 minutes later the material is dry. ultra thin fuzzy polyester doesn't appear to be c-9 this is a summer weight clothing and undergarments As I write this in the winter the product looks like the image below taken from an old product Bergalene. Also there are many references to Tech Wic or Techwic and it should be the same thing but be aware of knock offs, none of the products should contain cotton.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-49242.html

Bags4266
12-29-2013, 12:44
If your getting the c9 brand they make different styles of them. Make sure the tops are the running c9 they are lighter. It will say so on the label.

Autummyst
12-29-2013, 16:22
Thanks guys! This helped me get looking a little better. I decided on icebreaker brand base layer. Got lightweight Merino wool bottoms for 36 and shirt for 27. Big Christmas sale today at sierra trading post. I was also able to use the discount to get a lot of other things I needed.

I have only done one week hikes at the longest, so that's how far my opinion goes here. I'm also attempting a thru hike the AT in 2014. My base layers are all icebreaker. So far, they've been durable for the week outings whereas my husbands base layers fell apart. He was using Ibex. He now switched out to icebreaker too. I bought mine though when they had major after season sales. Depending on your start date, you might be able to wait until winter is over and get a really great deal. I did that last year when I started acquiring my clothes/gear and such.