PDA

View Full Version : Trail Guides

Jack Tarlin
08-29-2005, 14:41
There's been talk lately, here and on other Trail Forums, about some of the current Trail guides and handboooks, and how useful they are.

I'm curious about this, and I direct my comments SPECIFICALLY to folks who've been hiking extensively this past year, i.e. I don't want this to turn into a bitch session about grudges and years-old complaints about certain authors, editors, and websites.

If you've used either of the major guidebooks this year, either the 2005 Thru-Hiker's Companion or the 2005 Thru-Hiker's Handbook, I have a few questions:

*What did you find most useful about the book you used?
*What did you find NOT useful?
*Was the information, in the main, accurate and up-to-date?
*If, not, what specifically do you remember that was wrong?
*If you were in charge of the next edition of the book you opted to use,
what would you do differently, what would you change, what would you
add?

Lastly, if you could briefly say anything to the editors or publishers of the book you chose to use, in order to improve next year's book or to make things better for next year's hikers, what would you tell them?

neo
08-29-2005, 14:57
i am not a wingfoot fan,but i have used the data book,the companion,and

the thru hiker hand book,i prefer the thru hiker hand book over the other
2 put together:cool: neo

shades of blue
08-29-2005, 15:11
I used the aldha companion and the AT data book.
-Good...I liked the maps of the trail towns and info on services in the towns.
-I liked that my money was going to a worthy cause.

Bad...
-I didn't like that there weren't discriptions of alternate ways into towns...especially in Maine.
-I had to use both the data book and companion, instead of one book.
-Sometimes the data book would say services a certain distance, and it would be inaccurate, or the services shut down...when the opposite direction there were services that were open.

I would tell the aldha people to join the companion with the data book.

I would ask them to make sure the options of services in both directions were there and make sure a service wasn't long shut down. It really sucks to walk .5 miles and see the gas station shut down with $1.25 gas still listed on it's board.

I hiked over 1000 miles this summer....sometimes I had to borrow people's wingfoot to find out services for roads that weren't listed in the companion. When you really need something....it's good to have the option of having complete information. I still liked the companion....but mainly for where the money was going.

Peaks
08-29-2005, 16:42
Well, I didn't do the AT this year, but my one suggestion for the ALDHA compaion is that it incorporate the data book so you carry just one publication.

rickb
08-29-2005, 17:13
If you've used either of the major guidebooks this year

I haven't, but then again, I never did follow directions very will. FWIW, in the ALDHA Companion:

1) The camping regulations listed for the WMNF are not technically correct. IIRC, they state that no camping is allowed anywhere within 200' of the AT. This always true within Wilderness Areas, but not everywhere (even though its good practice and many people think it is).

2) The chart of campsites through the Whites has some obvious ommisions. Nauman isn't listed on the chart, for example (even though it is mentioned in the description). I would think you would even want to list Huts in that summary section.

Footslogger
08-29-2005, 17:33
I used the Handbook:

Essentially the size and layout of the material.

The prelude and definitions. Too preachy and one-way oriented.

For the most part, given the rate at which things can change now adays.

Mainly the mileage and water callouts. Lots of the mileage markings seemed out dated and inaccurate to me. As for the water ...it was generally identified and absent or vice versa. There were often way too many "stream" references. If the trail is going to cross the same little stream a number of times it would be more efficient to just say that up front instead of making a separate line item for each dang crossing. Gets kinda confusing if you're trying to count em.

add?

I would attempt to package the material in more of a "loose leaf" fashion so that hikers could separate and assemble their own guide from the available material. I ended up buying 2 copies of the Handbook for 2003. I butchered one up and carried it in sections and kept the other one for my wife to use back home and for me to have as a keepsake after the hike.

'Slogger

Lilred
08-29-2005, 18:00
There's been talk lately, here and on other Trail Forums, about some of the current Trail guides and handboooks, and how useful they are.

I'm curious about this, and I direct my comments SPECIFICALLY to folks who've been hiking extensively this past year, i.e. I don't want this to turn into a bitch session about grudges and years-old complaints about certain authors, editors, and websites.

If you've used either of the major guidebooks this year, either the 2005 Thru-Hiker's Companion or the 2005 Thru-Hiker's Handbook, I have a few questions:

add?

Lastly, if you could briefly say anything to the editors or publishers of the book you chose to use, in order to improve next year's book or to make things better for next year's hikers, what would you tell them?

I used the Thru-hikers Handbook.

* I liked the detail as far as town services and road crossings. I liked the mileage between campsites and shelters. The Companion is lacking in campsite and spring information. Seemed better covered in the Handbook. I liked the altitude measurements.

*I didn't like how the book was divided, with the mileage up front and the service info in the back of the book. I didn't like the lack of history in the Handbook. The Companion had more history info. I also didn't like the fact that there was no privy info in the Handbook.

* The info was fairly accurate and up to date. There were some inaccuracies as far as the order of certain landmarks, nothing serious.

* I would add privy info to the Handbook. OK, so I'm a girl..... I would also publish it in some kind of binder where pages can be removed and replaced easily.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else. I'll let ya know if I do.

SalParadise
08-29-2005, 18:23
I am using the current version of the Handbook.

Like:
+The town maps are very useful
+The altitude of everything

Dislike:
-Many water sources either no longer exist or do and are not noted in the book
-Large camping areas and even a few blue-blazed campsites are not listed
-Much of the book can be edited out like history and tradition, for example the four lines of detail about a bakery in New York that is no longer open. Who cares if Grandma Gatewood slept there once?

If hikers do happen to care where Grandma Gatewood slept, or about the flora and fauna or the history of some landmarks, an entirely separate book should be printed and left out of a skin-and-bones shelter and mileage book.

fiddlehead
08-29-2005, 22:09
I think it's best not to use a handbook for this kind of information and that a journey is better when you don't expect things. Yes it's easier to know where the laundromat is, but you may run into some interesting locals by asking around instead.
Travelling is something i love to do and i used to use the Lonely Planet Guides exclusively, but i've learned that if i don't take a guidebook, i get to meet the real indigenous people instead of staying in the same place as all the other travellers stay.
Too each his own of course (always my motto) but personally , i'd leave the guidebook on the shelf and i think your journey will be more rewarding. just my 2 cents of course.
The Data book is all i carry on the AT.

neo
08-29-2005, 22:21
i like it better because it is a great combo of info and data
i am not a wing foot fan,but he does a great job ,i like the detailed maps
and info and data all in one,its great:cool: neo

Skyline
08-29-2005, 22:50
I've used both the Handbook and Companion, and think they are both great. And each has some info the other doesn't.

The nod might go to Wingfoot because his is divided into two sections. One is very DataBook-like, the other is very Companion-like. Together it's a more complete package in one book.

If the Companion would team up with the DataBook (as both have an association with ATC, it might not be that difficult to arrange such a marriage), they'd probably get the nod because their info is >slightly< more up-to-date.

Bassline
08-29-2005, 23:08
Hey Jack, Bassline here. I used Wingfoot's book...

What did you find most useful about the book you used?
It was concise. There was not too much extra crap.

What did you find NOT useful?
Wingfoot's useless garbage like his bad jokes, and pointless dictionary. It was a waste of weight. At the same time though, we had a good time making fun of the dictionary a few nights...

Was the information, in the main, accurate and up-to-date?
Mostly, It has already been stated, btu there were some times where I would go much farther than he said I had gone, and there were some water sources that were way off. Oh, and the town of Front Royal was much larger than Wingfoot suggested.

If you were in charge of the next edition of the book you opted to use,
add?

I would definently get rid of the dictionary. One thing I would add is internet access when possible. Also, I personally would love a book that catered to more of my style of hiking. That being a good look at the beer and liquor situations in towns as well as a bit more of a blunt approach to how different towns, hostels, and National Parks work. For example, talk about when how Bears Den Hostel is also a christian outreach ministry, or how Miss J's is the best dose of chaos a hiker could ever get. It is all good.

bassline

ARambler
08-29-2005, 23:51
I have purchased the 2003 Data book, the 2004 Handbook, and the 2004 Companion. I have also downloaded the 2004 and 2005 Companion (and made a modest donation to ALDHA), and the 2003 Data book in spreadsheet form. In ancient times, 2004, I carried printouts of the 2004 Companion and 2003 data book spread sheets. This year I carried the same data sheets and the 2005 online companion.

I only had to carry a few weeks worth at a time to: save weight, always have the current page open (on top), and there is less "damage" when making notes on the sheets, getting them wet throwing old ones out etc. Also, the spread sheet data is better because you can easily create subtotals from the last (or next) resupply and / or shelter.

1) So my number one request would be to get the new data book on line in spreadsheet form, presumably with a suggested donation to ALDHA / ATC.

2) I carry too much water, so I blame it on the data book. Maybe a few more enties on water and an indication of whether it is reliable or seasonal.

3) More info on side-trails to views. Distances / quality.

4) Does Miss Janet have room the day I arrive? OK, I guess that it's not possible to take away all of the uncertainty.

MedicineMan
08-30-2005, 00:39
The pda has the complete downloadable guide.