PDA

View Full Version : Bus Service to Sylacauga for Pinhoti Thru- hikers

ednotmilkman
12-25-2013, 12:24
I just happened to see that Greyhound has a new route going along US 280 from Birmingham to Columbus, GA and Dothan, AL. This is good news for solo thru-hikers as one of the stops is at Allen Oil 42020 HWY 280. This is 13 miles from FS 603A and 22 miles from Flagg Mountain.

So now people have an option to not have to drive to the start as I'm sure a taxi ride from Sylacauga would not be TOO bad, and then the possibility of a shorter hiker shuttle from other hikers in the area, since you can get bus connections to anywhere from B'ham, to Atlanta and south GA from Columbus, GA, or to Florida from Dothan, AL.

blisterbob
12-25-2013, 16:42
I picked up a hiker at High Point TH last year and brought him back to the library in downtown Sylacauga.
He checked at the police sta. across the street and they recommended he park in the lot at the library for
his 8 day, 161 mile hike. The taxi driver for the Sylacuuga cab co. didn't know where Flagg Mtn. was but
if he would direct him, he would take him there. The charge was $20.

Dogwood
12-25-2013, 17:57
THX for the info. The Dog didn't go to Dothan AL from Atlanta when I did the PT earlier this yr. I don't know if I would want to ride the Dog for 10 hrs w/ a long layover to get from Atlanta GA to Dothan AL even now since they have this option. The Dog did have the Atlanta to Sylacauga option when I did the PT but I chose to take the Dog to Anniston/Oxford and hitched to Trammel Speedway from there; don't advise that even though it worked out fine for me not hiking on a set schedule. When I spoke to several Forest Service employees they all told me the FS considered Trammel Speedway/Rebecca Mt to be the end/southern terminus of the PT. That's where I started going NOBO ON ALL NICE FORESTED SINGLE TRACK.

ednotmilkman
12-26-2013, 22:01
The schedule right now is :

Southbound
Birmingham 9:15am departs
Sylacauga 10:20am
Columbus 1:20-2:00pm transfer to 1:35-3:25pm Atl bus, 4:05-4:50pm Montg bus, 6:00a-12:30p Jackx, FL bus
Dothan 3:10pm continue on from here to Mobile, or transfer 6:20pm to Tallahassee, FL bus.
Mobile 7:20pm

Northbound

Mobile 5:30am
Dothan 9:40am transfer in from 12:45am - 1:55am Tallahassee bus
Columbus 1:10- departs 2:10pm transfer in from ATL 5:55-8:10am bus, or 6:50am-1:25pm Jacksonville bus
Sylacauga 3:10pm
Birmingham 4:15pm

This route also stops, both directions, in Childersburg, Sylacauga, Alex City, Opelika, Columbus, Eufaula, Abbeville, and then from Dothan it actually turns west with stops in Enterprise, Evergreen, Atmore, Bay Minette then ends in Mobile. You might get to/from Mobile quicker by going north to B'ham and then taking the direct bus south.

Current prices from Sylacauga are $14 - $19 to/from Birmingham, $31- $40 to Columbus, $46- $59 to Dothan, $67-$85 to Mobile. This depends on whether it is weekend or not, and 2 week advance purchase, web purchase or walk-up purchase.