PDA

View Full Version : books/preparation

Bencape4
12-25-2013, 21:38
What were the most helpful or interesting books you found prior to your thru hike?
Every day all I can think about is the trail and anticipate it with every second of my life.
What things can I do to get more ready?

I Work every day to save and when I'm not working I'm either on trail journals, white blaze, or hiking/running.
But I just can't wait and I need more!

fiddlehead
12-26-2013, 08:59
I just read that book "Wild" about the PCT.
Thought it was pretty good.

Dogwood
12-26-2013, 12:29
Best prep to hike the AT is not reading, thinking, or talking about it but getting out on multi night backpacking trips.

Slo-go'en
12-26-2013, 12:54
I just read that book "Wild" about the PCT.
Thought it was pretty good.

I just got that book for Christmas and about 1/3d through it. I wouldn't have given that poor girls problems to a monkey on a stick as Letterman would say :) A good example of how NOT to start a thru-hike, but that's what makes it a good story.

On a more practical side, I still think " How to hike the AT The nitty-gritty details of a long-distance treck" by Michelle Ray (available as an amazon ebook) is a great how to book anwering all the questions which keep being asked here on WB.

clairedeve
12-26-2013, 14:18
Every day all I can think about is the trail and anticipate it with every second of my life.

I Work every day to save and when I'm not working I'm either on trail journals, white blaze, or hiking/running.
But I just can't wait and I need more!

I feel you there! I'm planning a March 23(ish) start to my 2014 thru hike and I dream about the trail every night and think about it everyday. I just read Bill Bryson's "A Walk through the Woods" and Cheryl Strayed's "Wild", which were both good books. I wouldn't say they helped me feel more prepared, but good reads nonetheless.
Last August I section hiked the Colorado Trail and fell in love with the solitude of trail life, so in order to better prepare myself for so much alone time, I'm starting to meditate even if only for 10 minutes a day. In February, I'm going to Cambodia and taking part in a 10 day silent meditation retreat. I feel that the endless gear lists I create (almost everyday) won't really hurt, but it's the mindfullness that I need to really focus on. Mental health while on the trail is my biggest concern.

Paul the Brit
12-26-2013, 18:23
I enjoyed and would recommend Zach Davis "Appalachian Trials"

steve0423
12-26-2013, 18:50
+1 on Appalachian Trials… Gives an insight to the mental endurance required for a thru hike, which is the real challenge before you.

CarlZ993
12-26-2013, 18:56
I feel you there! I'm planning a March 23(ish) start to my 2014 thru hike and I dream about the trail every night and think about it everyday. I just read Bill Bryson's "A Walk through the Woods" and Cheryl Strayed's "Wild", which were both good books. I wouldn't say they helped me feel more prepared, but good reads nonetheless.
Last August I section hiked the Colorado Trail and fell in love with the solitude of trail life, so in order to better prepare myself for so much alone time, I'm starting to meditate even if only for 10 minutes a day. In February, I'm going to Cambodia and taking part in a 10 day silent meditation retreat. I feel that the endless gear lists I create (almost everyday) won't really hurt, but it's the mindfullness that I need to really focus on. Mental health while on the trail is my biggest concern.
Not that much solitude in the beginning on the AT. At least at the end of the hiking day. Every shelter or decent camping spot will undoubtedly have people there. It is a very social hike. Enjoy it.

Mags
12-26-2013, 19:03
Appalachian Trail Reader. (http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Reader-Official-Guides/dp/0195100905)My copy of this book is very dog eared. This book collects writings on geology, history and the culture surrounding the AT. It also features musings on the the trail and the Appalachians in general from the raw, but powerful voices, of everyday hikers to the eloquent musings of Thoreau and Wendell Berry. Highly recommended.

Also check out On The Beaten Path (http://www.amazon.com/On-Beaten-Path-Appalachian-Pilgrimage/dp/1599214970). Perhaps my favorite book on thru-hiking about ANY trail. A well written account of what the AT is like for many of us: A pilgrimage in the mountains.