PDA

View Full Version : A GREAT trail journal

mountainman
12-26-2013, 18:23
Wow, I just finished reading Bluebird's 2006 journal. It may be the best one I've read. Great reading on a cold winter day.

Mike415
12-26-2013, 21:15
Where is it?

CalebJ
12-26-2013, 23:22
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3341

whisper walking
12-27-2013, 00:02
Get Bluebird's book, Footpath, My Ass.

mountainman
12-27-2013, 13:11
Get Bluebird's book, Footpath, My Ass.

I read a review that said the book is just a rewrite of her jounral.

priegerix
12-27-2013, 16:20
I also just finished her book today. It was the closest thing I have read about the trail (I have read several) that made me feel like I was really on the trail. Good job Bluebird. I hope I can keep the same attitude while I am on the trail next year.

Mountain Dog
01-02-2014, 21:01
Thanks for the insite people. I like reports about the trail more than those books the have a little trail and a lot of filler stuff. I'll be reading her book soon.

slbirdnerd
01-03-2014, 13:14
Reading her journal now thanks to the OP and really enjoying it. Thanks for sharing!

MuddyWaters
01-03-2014, 23:29
I would never criticize someones trail journal.
But when I have purchased their book, even at a token price, I see no issue with doing so.

I couldnt finish the book.
Its a trail journal. An overly wordy, uninteresting journal.
There is only so much "woke up, ate, hiked to X, saw sleezy, sleepy, and dopey." kind of writing one can take.
The first part of trail journals are often interesting because the author is stumbling their way thru the first part of the trail.
Generally, by the time they get past the smokies, they are boring as hell and I cant read them anymore.

My opinion was this one fits that mold.
I have seveal like that I couldnt finish and lost interest in.

There are quite a few much better ones.

Astro
01-04-2014, 02:40
I would never criticize someones trail journal.
But when I have purchased their book, even at a token price, I see no issue with doing so.

I couldnt finish the book.
Its a trail journal. An overly wordy, uninteresting journal.
There is only so much "woke up, ate, hiked to X, saw sleezy, sleepy, and dopey." kind of writing one can take.
The first part of trail journals are often interesting because the author is stumbling their way thru the first part of the trail.
Generally, by the time they get past the smokies, they are boring as hell and I cant read them anymore.

My opinion was this one fits that mold.
I have seveal like that I couldnt finish and lost interest in.

There are quite a few much better ones.

+1
Wish I had known the trail journal was out there and I would not have spent money on the book. Finished the book since I had paid for it, but if just checked out from a library I probably would have bailed.

squeezebox
01-04-2014, 03:43
I've been enjoying reading her journal. Would not buy the book if it was just the same thing.

futureatwalker
02-03-2014, 16:01
I enjoyed this trail journal - thanks for the recommendation. In reading it, I had the thought from early on that Bluebird was going to finish the trail. She was so positive, and underneath this, determined.

Hot Flash
02-03-2014, 16:33
Eh, I'm not really fond of the type of journal that is the "Wow, who would imagine that a woman, especially a woman my age can do this?"

squeezebox
02-03-2014, 19:07
there are 2 2in thick books in my local library that's basically a collection of old trail journals, fairly old stuff. I'll go get them and let you know how they are.

perrymk
02-03-2014, 20:22
I'm guessing you mean "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" (2 volume set, Hardcover – January 1, 1975) by JAMES R. HARE. I picked up a cheap copy with a slightly water damaged cover on ebay. Inside is perfectly good though.

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Appalachian-Trail-2-set/dp/0875960677/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391473142&sr=8-2&keywords=james+hare+appalachian+trail

I'm just about through the second volume. A pretty good read and interesting to contrast how many new ideas are old.

Ewker
02-03-2014, 22:34
I have the "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" 2 volume set with the dust covers still on them. Both are in excellent conditions. I am surprised they are selling for that much. Maybe I should think about selling them.