PDA

View Full Version : weight loss and weight gain on and off the trial!

Happy44
12-26-2013, 19:59
i just want to start by telling my story! 2012 aug 22 i jumped on a bus to duncannon from vegas without even knowing what a blaze was, throw on a pack 65 liters (****ty one) on my back with a sleeping bag and a bunch of clothes a sleeping bag and 1 water bottle :P and 450$. i never hiked really before, but i was just winging it, i made it to pearsburg va in about 5 weeks and did over 500 miles i weighed 240 when i started and i was 185 at the end of sept, im at work atm so when i get home tonight ill post my full story ! gtg

SunnyWalker
12-26-2013, 20:34
Yes, my weight gain and loss is a trial all right!!!

4shot
12-26-2013, 20:58
weight management is exactly = money management. If you input exceeds your output you will gain. if the exact opposite occurs, you will lose. this advice is free but priceless. Feel free to share it with those you love.

RockDoc
12-26-2013, 21:53
The joke in our house is that there are only two diets that really work.
One is hiking, which can loose one pound/day if you do a lot of hours/day.
The other is cancer ;-(

Happy44
12-26-2013, 23:08
ok im back

Happy44
12-26-2013, 23:19
well i didnt know anything about what the cost of hiking was, but but the thing that got me was the sleeping bag, i had a 20 degree sleeping bag , but it was ****, uber **** and i froze to death at night, and it wasnt even that cold but maybe 36 ish give or take at the coldest night, what got me was i guess the weight loss, a combo of a few 30+ mile hikes my body felt like it had stopped making heat , like it was just saving energy for hiking, food wise i was eating every hour, it felt like every hour there was trail magic or someone giving me food some way or some how

Happy44
12-26-2013, 23:28
i ended up leaving because i just couldnt take the cold , but i know that i could of made it to springer, i blacked out one of my last days on the trial because of around a 35mile hike where i pushed myself 2 hard to keep up with a guy name "moving on" who was "fit" and had about 1000+ more miles then me and could do 30s back to back and was an ULer, i was just coming form duncannon, where my first days hike was like 6 miles and i done, and i know that " BIG MILES is not what the trail is about but i enjoyed pushing my self , even though my pack was about 45pounds!

Happy44
12-26-2013, 23:31
The joke in our house is that there are only two diets that really work.
One is hiking, which can loose one pound/day if you do a lot of hours/day.
The other is cancer ;-(

the cancer thing is not funny

Bags4266
12-27-2013, 08:58
Your bag is only as good as the pad underneath you. If you have a 20 degree bag and a 40degree pad you'll be cold.

Happy44
12-27-2013, 12:20
in wanyesboro va i got some trail magic and was giving a thermorest pro plus, it was not the pad, and the sleeping bag had a few holes in it form an explosion at the priest shelter that burned a few holes in it!

map man
12-27-2013, 12:51
Since the title you gave this thread mentions weight gain and loss both on and OFF the trail, how has your weight been doing in the 15 months since that epic weight-losing hike? Did you pick up any habits on the hike that have helped you stay more fit after the hike?

Pedaling Fool
12-27-2013, 16:25
Since the title you gave this thread mentions weight gain and loss both on and OFF the trail, how has your weight been doing in the 15 months since that epic weight-losing hike? Did you pick up any habits on the hike that have helped you stay more fit after the hike?
Yes, that's a good question. Doing the trail to lose weight is one of the easiest ways to lose weight, but the catch is that you need to really reduce calorie intake when you get home to keep it off and to maintain an exercise regimen to keep your fitness, otherwise you just wasted your time out on the trail. BTW, you lost about the same amout of weight as I did, I was also 240 when I started, I now keep weight between 210-215 (gained back mostly muscle) and stay very active. Hiking the trail is one of the best things I've done!

Happy44
12-27-2013, 20:07
by jan i was back to 235 , but i got a job over the summer time and was biking to work and now im down to 210 , shoting for 195 by march so when i get the trail ill be in somewhat shape!