PDA

View Full Version : Wild Oasis vs. Gatewood Cape

10-K
12-27-2013, 08:45
Is it my imagination or is the Wild Oasis a Gatewood Cape without the 'head hole' and the netting sown around the perimeter?

There's a bit of a price difference and all things being equal (which I guess they're not...) you'd think the GC would cost more than the WO.....

handlebar
12-27-2013, 23:35
Not your imagination. If you check the footprint drawings on SMD site they are the same. I can comment that the netting on the WA is pretty effective and that, in a pinch, the WA will keep you dry in high winds and during freak 18" spring snowstorms since I've experienced both in it. Near James Peak on the CDT in CO I was afraid the wind would pull out the stakes and the tent (it's really a shaped tarp) would fly away. I pot boulders atop the stakes and tied my bear line from a loop inside the tent around my sleeping pad. Though I had a taut pitch the buffeting of the wind made enough noise it was difficult to sleep. During the April 23rd snowstorm in PA, the silnylon would sag toward my face waking me. I'd then slap at the sides until the wet snow slid off and then push it away from the netting to keep some air flow to minimize condensation. I spent a zero in it then and a couple other days with miserable weather.

It's a good piece of gear but a little on the short side for anyone over 6ft tall. Both the WA and GC were similar to the Lunar Solo which has been updated to accommodate taller hikers.

Slo-go'en
12-28-2013, 12:59
If the WO has the same foot print as the Gatewood cape, I don't think you'd be happy with it. It is more suited to people who are not much taller then 5 feet! I used the cape on one of trips with an OR bug bivy. I keep thinking I might use it again, but never do as a real tent is so much better.

QiWiz
12-29-2013, 14:22
I used a Gatewood Cape (with a NetTent in bug season, without NetTent in non-bug season) as my primary shelter year-round for about 3 years and was very happy with it at 5' 10" tall. Taller folks might find they run out of room. I never used it much in poncho mode, as I was worried about damage to my shelter while hiking and getting it caught on brambles, etc. Silnylon stretches when wet, which is a bit annoying, and is one of the reasons that I eventually switched to non-stretch cuben in the form of a ZPacks Hexamid, which has an almost identical shape and footprint. The Hexamid is much more expensive, and I'd get a Gatewood or Wild Oasis in a heartbeat if I were looking for a good price on a shaped tarp.

Country Roads
08-19-2014, 11:57
They do have the same foot print. Folks at SMD said the net tent for the Gatewood cape would most likely fit the wild oasis. Yes, it has that netting around the perimeter, but I have found that in hard rain, the mesh gets wet and then the air flow stops, creating a LOT of condensation. I removed the mesh perimeter and now no condensation.
I think the mesh should be set back in several inches rather than sewn to the canopy hem. But for the weight, now 11 ounces, it works very well.

q-tip
08-19-2014, 19:23
I had really bad experience with the WO. Super bad condensation, especially in the rain, splashing on my sleeping bag, and condensation soaking my sleeping bag foot. I love the design and the weight, but had to go back to my Tarp Tent Contrail. Still not giving up on it, may use on JMT next year.