PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite spots between Devils Fork Gap and Damascus?

msumax1985
12-27-2013, 10:46
Doing this section NOBO starting mid-April 2014--I did Springer to Devils Fork in 2013.

Looking for advise on "things I can't miss" along the way. Or things that are memorable to you about this section. I prefer to tent, but dont mind shelters. From what I hear, I've got Uncle Johnny's, Overmountain Shelter, Mountain Harbor Hostel, Kincora Hostel on my list. But these are all places to sleep. Do you prefer something different from these? Where are the fantastic views I should look forward to? Any great tent sights? Any recommendations on resupply? I do about 10-12 miles/day.

TIA.

Tennessee Viking
12-27-2013, 11:08
Here are some great viewpoints and spots:
The old orchard field near Frozen Knob*
Big Bald*
Beauty Spot*
Unaka Mtn summit*
the old apple orachard north of Iron Mtn Gap*
cliffs of Little Rock Knob
Cloudland
Roan High Knob*
the Round/Jane/Grassy Ridge Balds
Overmountain shelter
Little Hump Mtn/Bradley Gap/Hump (best when the Longhorns are grazzing)
Doll Flats
Bishop Hollow/High Point
Jones Falls/Elk River (side trip to Elk River Falls)
Mountaineer Falls (Shelter) *
Hardcore Cascades
Canute Place*
Laurel Fork Falls
unmarked trail near Laurel Fork Falls rock staircase (takes you to a view point of the gorge high above the falls)
Watauga Dam
Uncle Nick Grindstaff's grave*
the old Osborne farm tract at Cross Mountain
TN/VA state line

* shelter/camp

RED-DOG
12-27-2013, 12:09
Tennesse Viking pretty much sums it up, Except their's a great camp site about a mile before Mountaineer Shelter right on the river a nice grassy spot.

msumax1985
12-28-2013, 12:16
Awesome list, thanks guys! I just went through my AWOL guide and starred all the things you mentioned to make sure I don't miss any.

Thanks again.

Toon
12-28-2013, 23:34
Doing this section NOBO starting mid-April 2014--I did Springer to Devils Fork in 2013.

Looking for advise on "things I can't miss" along the way. Or things that are memorable to you about this section. I prefer to tent, but dont mind shelters. From what I hear, I've got Uncle Johnny's, Overmountain Shelter, Mountain Harbor Hostel, Kincora Hostel on my list. But these are all places to sleep. Do you prefer something different from these? Where are the fantastic views I should look forward to? Any great tent sights? Any recommendations on resupply? I do about 10-12 miles/day.

TIA.

I did the same hike in 2012. I'm also starting this year early may at devils fork gap.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2