PDA

View Full Version : Off Trail

toblazeornottoblaze
12-27-2013, 20:30
On my NOBO im looking to deviate off the trail to work on compass and map skills. At what point along the AT do you think it would be a good point? Probably no more than 2 or 3 days off trail.

Rocket Jones
12-28-2013, 06:41
Because much of the AT is a narrow corridor, I'd suggest doing a separate bushwhacking trip in one of the National Parks or Forests. That way you have some room to work. I know that Prince William National Forest near me has orienteering routes, but I've never tried one.

moldy
12-28-2013, 09:45
Maine is about the only place along the Appalachian Trail that you can deviate 2 or 3 days without encountering civilization.

Ironbelly
12-28-2013, 09:53
There are tons of places, just take a look at a map. Any of the national forest, park, or wilderness areas would probably be your best bet.

Slo-go'en
12-28-2013, 11:44
That is some thing best done out west where the country is more open and you can actually see landmarks to take bearings on.

Alligator
12-28-2013, 12:11
There are tons of places, just take a look at a map. Any of the national forest, park, or wilderness areas would probably be your best bet.+1 on this, particularly some of the wilderness areas the AT passes through. Might not always be big enough for your wanting 2-3 days. Please do everyone a favor though and leave a detailed off trail plan with a trusted person should you need a little SAR.

johnnybgood
12-28-2013, 12:24
I have often seen boy scout troops off trail in SNP acquiring navigation skills needed for I assume earning merit badges .

Grap a park map and look at the possibilities of gaining secondary navigational skills so by the time you cross into Maine you can then go further off trail with the basics already down

Feral Bill
12-28-2013, 14:20
I used to hike off trail in Harriman SP often. Get the park map and make your own route from Elk Pen to Bear Mountain. Overbrowsing by deer simplifies things.

toblazeornottoblaze
12-29-2013, 19:08
Thank you all!!