PDA

View Full Version : Benton MacKaye Trail Thru-Hike

Papa D
12-27-2013, 20:46
Hello everyone:
I'm contemplating a Benton Mackaye Trail Thru Hike starting on May 27th or 28th of 2014. My goal would be to do the trail in about 18 days.
If you are not familiar with the BMT, it starts near Springer Mountain in Georgia and makes its way into North Carolina at a more westerly and
primitive tact than the AT - - it has sections that are closer to urban areas than the AT (actively logged areas, highways, farms) and more remote
areas (Joyce Kilmer Wilderness) - it crosses the AT at the southern part of the GSMNP and then ends at the northern terminus of the GSMNP - Davenport Gap. There are only 2 shelters on the BMT and not nearly the number of hikers that are found on the AT so you are mostly tenting at night. The trail is
harder to follow, less traveled, more rugged, more stream crossings, but certainly very doable. You can easily search for the BMT website for more
info.
Here are my questions for you all:

1) what do you think about the dates? I've spent many summers in the big woods of the south and it can get hot but there are plenty of streams to swim in
and mornings and nights can still be surprisingly chilly and wet so I'm cautiously ok with the dates - - I think that earlier in the spring or early fall would be
optimal but this timing suits my schedule perfectly.

2) What general comments do you have regarding this thru-hike? I haven't done my homework on re-supply too much. For what it's worth, I've hiked the AT thru
and as a long distance section hiker. I've also done the Long Trail in Vermont. I'm not a newbie but if you have any specific tips regarding resupply on the BMT, I'd appreciate it.

3) Finally, would you or anyone you know like to go with me? It's a pretty remote trail. If and when I do the AT again (thru) I know I can go solo and meet tons of people -
maybe more than I want to. The BMT is different - - much more remote - - a partner would be fun. Like I said, I'm a capable and experienced hiker and can easily do 18 mile
days on the AT - - I'd like to start the BMT at a 12 mile per day pace for a few days but quickly get to the 18 -20 mile per day or so pace - - hoping to average around 16 miles per day plus over the course of the trip so any partner would need to be somewhat experienced and trail-fit.

that's about it. Please respond. Thanks!

Papa D

Razor
12-27-2013, 21:16
A great trail that is on my list also.---I have heard water is scarce there at that time of year . Sgt Rock ,the BMT expert will see this and give you more detail too your questions and in the meantime buy his trail guide .It is about as good as it gets.

Tipi Walter
12-27-2013, 21:36
The month of May could be hellish heat-wise as I did the Cohutta/Big Frog/Reliance/Coker Creek/Unicoi Gap/Sandy Gap/State Line Ridge/Brookshire/Sugar Mt stretch in May/June of 2012 and it was rough, especially around the Hiwassee section. Saw a copperhead and a rattlesnake in the same couple days. In fact I'll be at Sandy Gap in a few days and hiking north on the BMT along State Line Ridge and over Sugar Mt and up to Whiggs Meadow so I'm cranked to get going. Getting my winter kit squared and my books (not boots) greased and my forelock combed, etc.

Your mileage seems doable especially for you at what, around 17 miles per day? Oh, wait, I see you've already figured it. I'd like to join you but I'd never be able to keep up and anyway, if I'm out then maybe we could meet up at a campsite of your choice somewhere north of the Whigg like Cold Spring Gap or Cherry Log Gap or Crowders or on Slickrock Creek. That would be sweet.

Hope you find someone to join you nonetheless as it's a lonely trail and you may not see a single backpacker the whole time, or if you do they won't know they're on the BMT.

Papa D
12-27-2013, 21:42
The month of May could be hellish heat-wise as I did the Cohutta/Big Frog/Reliance/Coker Creek/Unicoi Gap/Sandy Gap/State Line Ridge/Brookshire/Sugar Mt stretch in May/June of 2012 and it was rough, especially around the Hiwassee section. Saw a copperhead and a rattlesnake in the same couple days. In fact I'll be at Sandy Gap in a few days and hiking north on the BMT along State Line Ridge and over Sugar Mt and up to Whiggs Meadow so I'm cranked to get going. Getting my winter kit squared and my books (not boots) greased and my forelock combed, etc.

Your mileage seems doable especially for you at what, around 17 miles per day? Oh, wait, I see you've already figured it. I'd like to join you but I'd never be able to keep up and anyway, if I'm out then maybe we could meet up at a campsite of your choice somewhere north of the Whigg like Cold Spring Gap or Cherry Log Gap or Crowders or on Slickrock Creek. That would be sweet.

Hope you find someone to join you nonetheless as it's a lonely trail and you may not see a single backpacker the whole time, or if you do they won't know they're on the BMT.

Maybe I'll meet you one day next week for a pow wow - where is Sandy Gap - - anywhere near Double Camp?

Papa D
12-27-2013, 21:45
A great trail that is on my list also.---I have heard water is scarce there at that time of year . Sgt Rock ,the BMT expert will see this and give you more detail too your questions and in the meantime buy his trail guide .It is about as good as it gets.

Ok - I'll look for SGT Rock's reply (and Guide) - - I ran backpacking summer programs based in Joyce Kilmer Wilderness from 1998-2009 and we did 10 day trips there - - sometimes it was hot and water was tricky and sometimes we dodged rainstorms all week and swam in big water holes - - unless we get another super - drought, I think I can deal with the water issues. thanks so much

10-K
12-27-2013, 23:12
I've hiked it and would go with you but I'll be on the PCT. :)

Tipi Walter
12-28-2013, 00:10
Maybe I'll meet you one day next week for a pow wow - where is Sandy Gap - - anywhere near Double Camp?

I'll be coming in at Bald River falls and hiking thru the small wilderness and taking Kirkland Creek up on a leisurely hump to reach Sandy Gap which is north of Unicoi Gap and Tate Gap and Six Mile Gap (and below Waucheesi Mt). At Sandy I'll be on the BMT proper and going north.

CalebJ
12-28-2013, 00:22
Sounds like a great trip. Wish I could join but those are the only dates this whole summer I'm in town. Getting in from Spain around the 28th and headed to Maine for the section hike on 6/15. Very jealous of your trip though!

SGT Rock
12-28-2013, 04:48
I just saw this. I'm heading off to work in a minute, so I'll respond more in detail later tonight hopefully. But the folks you have answering questions here have a lot of experience on the BMT or at least sections of it.

SGT Rock
12-28-2013, 20:07
Home from work...

Hello everyone:
I'm contemplating a Benton Mackaye Trail Thru Hike starting on May 27th or 28th of 2014. My goal would be to do the trail in about 18 days.
If you are not familiar with the BMT, it starts near Springer Mountain in Georgia and makes its way into North Carolina at a more westerly and
primitive tact than the AT - - it has sections that are closer to urban areas than the AT (actively logged areas, highways, farms) and more remote
areas (Joyce Kilmer Wilderness) - it crosses the AT at the southern part of the GSMNP and then ends at the northern terminus of the GSMNP - Davenport Gap. There are only 2 shelters on the BMT and not nearly the number of hikers that are found on the AT so you are mostly tenting at night. The trail is
harder to follow, less traveled, more rugged, more stream crossings, but certainly very doable. You can easily search for the BMT website for more
info.
Here are my questions for you all:

1) what do you think about the dates? I've spent many summers in the big woods of the south and it can get hot but there are plenty of streams to swim in
and mornings and nights can still be surprisingly chilly and wet so I'm cautiously ok with the dates - - I think that earlier in the spring or early fall would be
optimal but this timing suits my schedule perfectly.It can be hot during the day during that part of the season, depends on the year. You can probably make the miles and there are a few places where you can get cooled off for sure. Add to that the services along the trail should all be open for business which can be an issue for hikers early in the year or late in the year along the BMT since they do not stay open as long as some of the services along the AT.

2) What general comments do you have regarding this thru-hike? I haven't done my homework on re-supply too much. For what it's worth, I've hiked the AT thru
and as a long distance section hiker. I've also done the Long Trail in Vermont. I'm not a newbie but if you have any specific tips regarding resupply on the BMT, I'd appreciate it.If you get my guide, I've tried to list every possible place and method of resupply you can use on the BMT. Right now I'm updating the guide, should be done next month. I'm a little later than normal this year due to some setbacks I couldn't have foreseen. But given the time of year you are hiking and your planned mileage I expect you can probably carry about 3-5 days food in most sections of the trail. The hardest section to resupply is generally before you enter the Smokies if you are northbound. But it isn't impossible and lots of folks make it work.

3) Finally, would you or anyone you know like to go with me? It's a pretty remote trail. If and when I do the AT again (thru) I know I can go solo and meet tons of people -
maybe more than I want to. The BMT is different - - much more remote - - a partner would be fun. Like I said, I'm a capable and experienced hiker and can easily do 18 mile
days on the AT - - I'd like to start the BMT at a 12 mile per day pace for a few days but quickly get to the 18 -20 mile per day or so pace - - hoping to average around 16 miles per day plus over the course of the trip so any partner would need to be somewhat experienced and trail-fit.

Papa DI can't go with you. Maybe someone here can. But you are right, I saw more other hikers between Springer Mountain and Long Creek Falls (around the AT) than I did on the rest of the BMT during my first hike of it. I've gon 5 days without seeing another human being out there. But the time of year you are going you can probably bet to see more hikers than I did in January.

hikerboy57
12-28-2013, 20:17
papa d.
im starting from springer april10th, taking the bmt through the smokies and hooking back up with the at .if you can push up your start date, id love the company, i was planning on roughly the same pace.
sgt rocks guide is thorough.

Dogwood
12-28-2013, 20:41
It will probably be getting hot w/ high humidity but you're from Athens Ga and have thrued the AT so that should give you a good feel for what the weather will be like in late May going into early June. The BMT was damn humid to me since I now spend most of time hiking and living out west though.

The BMT is easier elevation change wise compared to the AT so you shouldn't experience pain in that regard. Sounds like you're already in OK shape and have a good plan for working your way into the thru so you should be fine.

Sgt Rocks BMT guide and the three Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps(small as well as larger picture on one map for the BMT) should be all you need.

You'll do fine Papa D. It's only labeled remote from an east coast hiking perspective and even then it's still not as remote as the AT in Maine(or anywhere as strenuous as the AT in Maine or New Hampshire or the Long Trail overall in Vermont). IMO, it's roughly equal to remotness as the long Trail in Vermont and the LT isn't all that remote IMHO.

Dogwood
12-28-2013, 20:44
You might want to have some light wt pants to hike in in late May/early June as the brambles will be growing tight along/into the trail in a few places. AND, the rattlers will be warming themselves up, sometimes on the trail. Stay alert.

royalusa
12-28-2013, 22:00
We hiked the BMT-AT loop at that same general time frame. As others have said, it will be hot and humid with a good chance of overgrown trail in some places if it was like the year we went. There's a summary of the AT vs. BMT as well as a list of the maps we carried at the end of our journal: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317704

The first page of our journal also includes our resupply strategy.

Have fun!

Papa D
12-29-2013, 12:31
papa d.
im starting from springer april10th, taking the bmt through the smokies and hooking back up with the at .if you can push up your start date, id love the company, i was planning on roughly the same pace.
sgt rocks guide is thorough.

I'll take a hard look at the HB but my wife suggested these dates (May/June) because this corresponds with her trip with my daughter and her parents to Italy.

hikerboy57
12-29-2013, 12:35
I'll take a hard look at the HB but my wife suggested these dates (May/June) because this corresponds with her trip with my daughter and her parents to Italy.
jeez, putting family first?
alright, i guess.:)

Papa D
12-29-2013, 12:38
Thanks Dogwood and Sgt Rock, Hikerboy and others:
Good tip on the long pants because in May/June I would have been inclined to skip them but I do
have some real light Marmot rain pants that I can add to the mix.
I have a very trained eye for snakes and automatically am on the lookout for them - - I generally
think that rattlers are pretty docile and want to get away from you and thus are not that dangerous unless
you are just not paying attention but thanks - I'll be on the lookout and watch where I put my hands and feet.
I'll look forward to getting your updated guide Sgt Rock. Let me know when and where I can buy one. Thanks D

hikerboy57
12-29-2013, 12:43
http://bmtguide.com (http://bmtguide.com/)

Papa D
12-29-2013, 12:46
jeez, putting family first?
alright, i guess.:)

I'll try to plan on catching you on the AT somewhere later in the summer assuming I don't change the BMT plans.
Also:
Let me know if you need a shuttle to Springer - - Amicalola State Park is just over an hour from my house. Not
sure of your travel plans but you can get Amtrak from New York (The Crescent) right to Gainsville, GA which is
super close to the start - I've picked people up there before. You can even get a Viewliner Roomette (little sleeper
car) which is my preferred long distance Amtrak method. I might even run up the Approach Trail with you or
something.

hikerboy57
12-29-2013, 12:50
I didn't know the BMT had an approach trail

hikerboy57
12-29-2013, 12:51
oh yes it's here in the guidebook my bad

10-K
12-29-2013, 20:12
After the BMT left the AT for the last time I only passed 1 other hiker wearing a pack all the way to GSMNP. This was in April.

Mags
12-29-2013, 20:58
I only saw six backpackers on the BMT...4 of which were a few miles from the Smokies parking lot. :)
A few misc day hikers near a popular falls (can't remember off hand) and that was it.

Nice little trail.

4shot
12-29-2013, 23:12
Hello everyone:

Papa D

papa D - I did the BMT thru the Smokies last summer (picked it up at the Fontana dam via the Lakeshore Trail as I came up the AT nobo from Hiawassee until I hit GSMNP). I absolutely loved it. I am a school teacher and always do a couple of weeks of backpacking at the end of the school year. I might be interested in hiking with you on this thing. Like you, I can ramp up to 18 mile days but don't plan on that at the beginning. Will stay in touch.

Traffic Jam
12-30-2013, 11:01
I'll be out there sectioning/day hiking it over the next year. I'm already a little nervous about the sketchy trail markings I've heard about and I'm grateful to have such expert guides here on WB. Any suggestions for how to section it in 4-5 day blocks would be appreciated. I'm slow and 10-12 mi days are my norm. I'm planning on starting in the Smokeys and dividing it into 3 trips.
1. Lakeshore Tr (going south)
2. Smokemont to Lakeshore Tr
3. Smokemont to I40

I hope to see y'all on the trail.

SGT Rock
12-30-2013, 15:02
I'll be out there sectioning/day hiking it over the next year. I'm already a little nervous about the sketchy trail markings I've heard about and I'm grateful to have such expert guides here on WB. Any suggestions for how to section it in 4-5 day blocks would be appreciated. I'm slow and 10-12 mi days are my norm. I'm planning on starting in the Smokeys and dividing it into 3 trips.
1. Lakeshore Tr (going south)
2. Smokemont to Lakeshore Tr
3. Smokemont to I40

I hope to see y'all on the trail.
That sounds like a good start. You may want to look at going Tapoco to the Cherohalla, Cherohalla to Unicoi Gap. Unicoi to Reliance, Reliance to Thunder Rock. Thunder Rock to Blue Ridge, Blue Ridge to Springer as good section options.

Traffic Jam
12-31-2013, 09:19
That sounds like a good start. You may want to look at going Tapoco to the Cherohalla, Cherohalla to Unicoi Gap. Unicoi to Reliance, Reliance to Thunder Rock. Thunder Rock to Blue Ridge, Blue Ridge to Springer as good section options.

Great advice SGT Rock, thank you. I'm patiently waiting for your updated guide. Let us know when it's ready.

TNhiker
01-04-2014, 21:38
hey papa d....

i live down down in TN and if dates and my schedule line up---i could be convinced to help you with rides into town and what not.......

and may join ya for a weekend hike or something like that....

Papa D
01-04-2014, 23:30
hey papa d....

i live down down in TN and if dates and my schedule line up---i could be convinced to help you with rides into town and what not.......

and may join ya for a weekend hike or something like that....

hey that would be great

Dogwood
01-04-2014, 23:46
I only saw six backpackers on the BMT...4 of which were a few miles from the Smokies parking lot. :)
A few misc day hikers near a popular falls (can't remember off hand) and that was it.

Nice little trail.

This past summer as I did the 500 mile AT/BMT loop I met only two other BMT thru-hikers and less than 10 BMT day hikers. I met more hikers on the entire loop at two AT shelters than the entire BMT. One of which was Slo-go'en from here on WB on my last night of the loop at Spring Mt shelter.

Bati
01-05-2014, 00:23
As I approached SMNP heading northbound on the BMT, I set a goal to try to see more people than bears inside the park, which was the opposite of my experiences for about a hundred miles south of the park. I was quite glad to achieve that goal, though I did spend a couple of nights alone in the park, including one on a Saturday night in May. My first night in the park, I actually had company at the campsite ( two people at site 98), the first time it had happened since my first night on the BMT. But the solitude isn't that bad, if that's what you're concerned about. I think I only had one day in the park when I saw no one on the trail, and south the of the park, I often saw people at the road crossing (drivers count as human contact if they honk or wave, in my book.)

My BMT experiences in the park were more crowded than the AT was when I came through there. One night on the BMT there were a massive number of groups at the campsite (firetower); on all the others it was either just me or me and one other small party of two or three. At no point on the AT in March/April did encounter more than one other group (two or three people total) at a shelter and on only two nights was there anyone there who wasn't with the "thru-hiking" group. The secret to finding solitude is hike a popular trail when the weathers bad. If you want to see more people on the BMT, try to stay at the more popular sites like #90, #38 or the shelter. If you're concerned about hiking alone, there is a fair amount of traffic and what I consider to be a large number of rangers in the area (I talked to rangers/etc. twice on the BMT and even hitched a short ride to the ferry site with one, whereas on the AT I only saw one and he was at the rest area just North of Clingman's Dome.)