PDA

View Full Version : Hike in Shenandoah National Park

Scooter2
12-28-2013, 00:58
Beautiful weather today in Shenandoah (Dark Hollow Falls) near the AT ...sunny weather after an overnight freeze. Winter can be a great time to hit the trail as there were few people out, and the ice made for some great scenery at the waterfall. Anyone have other locations that are a must-see during the winter? Hope you enjoy my pics...

jimmyjam
12-28-2013, 08:39
Jones Falls in the SNP are pretty neat when frozen, but even better are the Crabtree Falls .

Studlintsean
12-28-2013, 17:35
Does white oak canyon freeze? I did a trip there this fall and would love to do it in the winter with frozen falls If possible.

Coffee
12-28-2013, 17:40
Beautiful weather today in Shenandoah (Dark Hollow Falls) near the AT ...sunny weather after an overnight freeze. Winter can be a great time to hit the trail as there were few people out, and the ice made for some great scenery at the waterfall. Anyone have other locations that are a must-see during the winter? Hope you enjoy my pics...

Looks great! Did you go down to the Rose River Falls as well and if so was it frozen? One of my favorite spots for a quick camping trip. It has been too long since I visited SNP.

johnnybgood
12-28-2013, 18:23
Does white oak canyon freeze? I did a trip there this fall and would love to do it in the winter with frozen falls If possible.

It certainly can, although it will take longer before the upper falls, with the sheer volume of water flowing over it to finally freeze.

Water volume and width of waterfall itself along with duration of sub freezing temps have to be taken into account. I would go after a week of really cold weather in the park.