PDA

View Full Version : AT Hiker App

ChuckT
12-28-2013, 10:21
Got the 2014 thru Hiker Companion as a pdf yesterday. An "AT Hiker" App for Android is prominent on page 8. But Google Play/Guthook doesn't have it, at least that I could find. There are pieces and parts ("AT from nnn to nnn") and a demo; but if the whole thing, AT from Springer to Katahdin, is there I didn't see it.
What's up with that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Snowleopard
12-28-2013, 14:09
Guthook's website links to the Android app at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=High+Sierra+Attitude,+LLC I didn't buy it but it looks like it's for sale in sections.

http://www.guthookhikes.com/apps

He's pretty approachable and I'm sure he'd answer any questions unless he's out hiking.

BrianLe
12-28-2013, 16:00
Interesting stuff. I installed the AT Demo app on my Android phone and while it looks good, I found that everything (app and data) go into "app storage", which is pretty limited on low end smartphones. There appears to be no way to move the (I would assume extensive) data onto the microSD card. I've sent an email to the developer asking if I'm missing or misinterpreting anything there. On past through-hikes, it's been important to me to get large stuff (music, photos or videos taken, certainly map data) onto the SD card. Backcountry Navigator does that, and I presume I can find an AT data plot for that, so I expect I'll go that way for my ~30 day AT hike this year unless the sierraattitude.com folks get back to me with a solution. It's a PITA, however, to download all of the map chunks that way, so I'd love it if the Guthook approach would work for me. Maybe I can squeeze out some stuff to make room in 'app storage' (would help to know before I paid for it just what the actual space hit would be, however).

I guess the other thing is that it would be nice to have some review information from folks that have hiked extensively --- i.e., how accurately placed, complete, and up-to-date are things like shelters, water sources, resupply options, etc. I wonder if there are any objective reviews that address that for specific trail chunks?
I'm NOT suggesting that this isn't a great product nor that it isn't accurate and complete and up-to-date --- just that in a hasty search I didn't find much in the way of objective reviews by folks that had hiked a lot of miles using it.

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2013, 16:14
My low tech approach: I put the entire Companion in pdf format on my SD card. I've got all sorts of docs on mine, including my older Companion version, the National Electrical Code Handbook, and lots of MS Word and Excel files, etc. I user both the Adobe Reader app and Quick Office depending on format and which works better with a particular document.

ChuckT
12-28-2013, 16:44
I got no problem loading a pic on an sd card. But a 10 part something is not an app. Maybe it's 10 apps maybe it's 10 files but it is not AN app.

BrianLe
12-28-2013, 21:25
FWIW, I got a pretty speedy, friendly, and complete response to my query about the Guthook app.

Unfortunately, the response wasn't really clear. I'm not sure it could be as it sounds like not all Android phones and operating systems use memory the same (?). So I bought #1, about the first 240 miles from Springer. I've got a ton of free memory on my external SD card, but it seems like these guys are using the pseudo (not actual) "SD" card that for whatever reason Android sets up. The result is that while I've got over 20 Gig free on my actual SD card, I get an error when I try to download 339 MB of map data, their "large" map set option.

Backcountry Navigator has no problem putting stuff on my actual SD card, but for me the Guthook app is a no-go, at least at this point.

alicebodnar
12-29-2013, 02:29
Hi there, I am one of the Guthook's Guides developers. The AT Hiker app series is set up as 9 sections on both the iPhone and Android. For the iPhone version you download the demo app (which includes the Springer Mountain approach trail) and then do in-app purchases for the 9 sections from Springer to Katahdin. For the Android version you purchase each of the 9 sections from the Google Play Store rather than as an in-app purchase. The price is the same whether you purchase iPhone or the Android version.

The Android SDCard issue mentioned by BrianLe is very rare (he is the first person I have ever corresponded with about this issue, though I was aware it could possibly arise), so I hope that his comments will not discourage anyone from at least trying the demo app. We will address the issue in a future release.

Best, Alice Bodnar, High Sierra Attitude, LLC, www.sierraattitude.com (http://www.sierraattitude.com)

Got the 2014 thru Hiker Companion as a pdf yesterday. An "AT Hiker" App for Android is prominent on page 8. But Google Play/Guthook doesn't have it, at least that I could find. There are pieces and parts ("AT from nnn to nnn") and a demo; but if the whole thing, AT from Springer to Katahdin, is there I didn't see it.
What's up with that?

ChuckT
12-30-2013, 20:02
So the answer is that "an" is no longer singular now it's plural. Of course (smacks forehead dramatically) so obvious. Why didn't I think of that. Must be new speak or sumtin'.

canoe
12-30-2013, 20:10
I bought guthook this past summer. Was hiking from springer north. The app worked extremly well. I really like it. One thing that I liked to most is that it pinpionted exactly where I was on the trail. I d go gut hook again and as I move forward in my section hike will buy it again.

canoe
12-30-2013, 20:12
I got no problem loading a pic on an sd card. But a 10 part something is not an app. Maybe it's 10 apps maybe it's 10 files but it is not AN app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk So whats your problem

alicebodnar
12-30-2013, 21:11
ChuckT, I apologize if you feel mislead. There was definitely no intention to do so. Sincerely, Alice

So the answer is that "an" is no longer singular now it's plural. Of course (smacks forehead dramatically) so obvious. Why didn't I think of that. Must be new speak or sumtin'.

canoe
12-30-2013, 21:21
ChuckT, I apologize if you feel mislead. There was definitely no intention to do so. Sincerely, Alice Alice you have nothing to apologize. Hes just being an azz

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2013, 22:42
Alice while you are here perhaps you can give us some more information about the App and what sets it apart from other things that we have seen.. Such as level of detail - works without a cell connection etc... What is the preferred location or website so we don't go the wrong app.

guthook
12-31-2013, 09:22
Alice while you are here perhaps you can give us some more information about the App and what sets it apart from other things that we have seen.. Such as level of detail - works without a cell connection etc... What is the preferred location or website so we don't go the wrong app.

Hi Wise Old Owl and everyone. I'm here as well, so I'll chime in on this one

-The app works fine without cell signal, although you need an internet connection the first time you open the app in order to download the necessary data.

-For the level of detail, right now the AT is split into 9 sections, 6 of which have complete data and 3 of which are less complete. The fully finished sections include every peak, viewpoint, shelter, official campsite (and many unofficial campsites), major water source, parking area, road crossing, and many other points of interest and side trails. Each waypoint/POI has a virtual trail register where users can comment publicly. There are also photos of more than 90% of the waypoints, so you can see what you'll be looking for when you get there, and descriptions of the waypoints with information like how many tents can fit comfortably in a tentsite, how reliable a water source is, local history, or other tidbits.

-The two primary ways of viewing the trail are with a map that shows the trail and side trails on a topo map, and an elevation profile of the main trail. Both primary views have a GPS toggle button that will show your location (for the elevation profile, you only show up if you're close to the trail).

-You can find links to the iPhone and Android apps at either www.guthookhikes.com/apps (http://www.guthookhikes.com/apps) or www.sierraattitude.com (http://www.sierraattitude.com) or just search either the App Store or Play Store for "Guthook". We have apps for the PCT, JMT, Tahoe Rim Trail, and Long Trail, too.

-I'm finishing up the next big update to the iPhone version of the app, which should be ready in early February, so a few new features will be added soon, such as a better databook view, Facebook/Twitter/SMS sharing options, NOBO/SOBO mileage switch, mileage from you to given waypoints, and a few other little things.

I'm always happy to answer questions, but I don't spend a lot of time on Whiteblaze or Facebook, so I tend to miss questions if they're not addressed straight to me. I'll keep an eye on this thread, though :)

louisb
12-31-2013, 09:52
I have the app on my iPad and use it a lot for planning my section hikes on the AT. I like it so far. I do wish you could add in waypoints on the map and maybe get a mileage between each waypoint. It would also be nice if you could add private notes to the waypoints for planning etc. I need to get the app for my Samsung phone before my next trip. Will be handy to carry along.

Thanks,

--louis

Starvin Marvin
12-31-2013, 12:50
Hello Mr Guthook,

If someone were to purchase all 9 section apps now, will there be an additional charge later, once you update the 3 incomplete apps? Also, what about future updates, for changes or additional info?

guthook
12-31-2013, 16:00
I have the app on my iPad and use it a lot for planning my section hikes on the AT. I like it so far. I do wish you could add in waypoints on the map and maybe get a mileage between each waypoint. It would also be nice if you could add private notes to the waypoints for planning etc. I need to get the app for my Samsung phone before my next trip. Will be handy to carry along.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis, I've been thinking of adding private notes and personal waypoints, but I haven't gotten around to planning it yet. I will put it on the to-do list. I can't guarantee how soon it will become reality... I don't want to make any promises I can't keep, but I can definitely say that I will work on it.

Hello Mr Guthook,

If someone were to purchase all 9 section apps now, will there be an additional charge later, once you update the 3 incomplete apps? Also, what about future updates, for changes or additional info?

Marvin, there are no fees for updated trail info or app updates. You buy it once, and you'll get any updates I make until I stop making them. I plan on updating the two Virginia sections to full data this summer, so if you buy them now at the discounted price, you'll get the full data later without having to pay for an upgrade. Consider it an alternative to Kickstarter ;)

Second Half
12-31-2013, 16:07
Each waypoint/POI has a virtual trail register where users can comment publicly. There are also photos of more than 90% of the waypoints, so you can see what you'll be looking for when you get there,

So far I've found that there are no entries in the trail registers, and that trying to add an entry causes the app to crash.

Also, I've only seen one photo so far (out of many waypoints I've clicked on).

Otherwise it looks pretty cool and useful.

guthook
12-31-2013, 17:40
So far I've found that there are no entries in the trail registers, and that trying to add an entry causes the app to crash.

Also, I've only seen one photo so far (out of many waypoints I've clicked on).

Otherwise it looks pretty cool and useful.

Oh yeah... forgot to mention the "Partial data" sets don't have many photos (Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania). The Springer Approach Trail demo section is probably the best impression overall.

As for the register entries glitch, I've got a fix for that one in the update that's coming out in February :)