PDA

View Full Version : Pre planning first section hike ever 4 2015

Kerrkid
12-28-2013, 13:22
Hello my name is Anthony trail name ( kerrkid ) I am planning a section hike for 2015 and I am looking to do 200 to 300 mile hike any suggestions on a starting pointe? My starting month will be Feb date? I am in the pre planning stages and would like to have my starting pointe set by this summer so I can do my research on that section.... Any suggestions and or do's and don'ts? This has been on my bucket list for many years even before I started backpacking 4 years ago, but now is the time to knock out my first section hike.. Thanks in advance :D

ChinMusic
12-28-2013, 15:25
Amicalola to Hot Springs - 280ish
Davenport Gap to Damascus - 230ish
Damascus to Daleville - 260ish

You would be better to delay your start to March or April if that fits your needs. A Feb start will bring winter skills into the mix. Being from Michigan maybe that isn't a big deal.

Kerrkid
12-28-2013, 20:33
Thank you ChinMusic for the post reply and for the info. I have been looking at the AT mileage chart and starting in Amicalola to Hot Springs looks like a good section hike for me. Anyway thanks again for the info....

ChinMusic
12-28-2013, 20:40
Re Amicalola to Hot Springs: You will qualify as a thru-hiker when it comes to the required Smokies permit since you would be starting 50 miles before the park and planning on finishing 50 miles after. With a Feb start the weather could be dicey at any point and especially in the Smokies. Some flexibility with regards to the length of time to complete this section would be advisable.