PDA

View Full Version : hiking shorts

Happy44
12-28-2013, 14:45
i looking for a good pair of hiking shorts, the last ones i had , had a seam down the middle and i dont wear boxers so it rubbed the tip of my..... and gave me a blister , so if any of you know a good pair of hiking shorts let me know :)

mudsocks
12-28-2013, 16:25
I like running shorts. Most have a soft netting to keep things in place and minimize chafing. Bonus: no underwear necessary.

Traffic Jam
12-28-2013, 16:28
In a recent thread about going commando, a lot of people recommended swim shorts. Those who wear kilts really seem to like them too.

juma
12-28-2013, 16:47
basic kmart/walmart swimsuit. pin the crotch to the net to prevent inside of thigh rub it it happens.

10-K
12-28-2013, 16:51
After GoLite discontinued the shorts I really liked I asked on here for short recommendations and someone recommended Kuhl. I bought a pair and like them 2x better than the GoLite shorts!

http://www.kuhl.com/products/men/shorts/

mikeunger
12-28-2013, 16:54
These Railrider shorts lasted the entire CDT for me. I liked all the pockets. My biggest complain is that they took a while to dry out.
http://www.railriders.com/men-bone-flats-shorts-p-995.html?cPath=104_112

louisb
12-28-2013, 16:56
El Komando kilt!

--louis

Dr. Professor
12-28-2013, 17:06
I'm eyeing these for my next gear upgrade: http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&model=Incendo-Short

I love Arcteryx gear, and this looks like it'll be really nice....

Night Train
12-28-2013, 17:41
Sport kilt, customize your heart out!

takethisbread
12-28-2013, 18:05
running shorts . losing the pockets sucks but it works in every other way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

redseal
12-28-2013, 20:10
I use running shorts or Nike DriFit shorts. I do not wear boxers either and have no issues.

Bags4266
12-28-2013, 20:20
I use running shorts or Nike DriFit shorts. I do not wear boxers either and have no issues.
I have the same pair, they are great and have pockets and dry quick

toblazeornottoblaze
12-31-2013, 17:21
Picked up some North Face "Horizon" shorts on sale for like 19.00 on sale. Cargo pockets, quick dry and they weigh 8 oz. Good deals are out there right now.

rangeley
12-31-2013, 19:46
were those shorts on sale blaze? :)
I use Nike Drifit shorts. They're light, fast drying and light.

poopsy
12-31-2013, 21:08
I thought people had smartened up about insect borne disease such as Lyme's and did not hike in shorts anymore. Especially in the northeast.

Oh well, people still smoke cigarettes, overeat, and don't wear seat belts. It's your choice and your pain-ridden life. Good luck with the shorts.:datz

Dogwood
12-31-2013, 22:57
nylon running shorts with the stretchy brief liner, ohhhh be careful about shorts w/ mesh in the crotch. MR happy could become Mr VERY UNHAPPY

lemon b
01-01-2014, 00:05
Columbia water shorts work fine for me. Did not really like Golite because the waist didn't have any play no elastic, and I found them uncomfortable commando style because way too much nut movement.

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-01-2014, 00:27
I wore these on my thru in 2006 & I still wear them as my hiking shorts now. 7 years & they are still going strong....... The things are just about indestructible !!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/36414?feat=511548-GN1&page=supplex-cargo-sport-shorts-6-inseam

very comfortable too.

daddytwosticks
01-01-2014, 12:46
I have a pair of big named hiking shorts with a built-in fine mesh liner. I don't wear underware. They are great with one exception - they stink, literally. That "fine mesh liner" picks up and holds the most horrible smells shortly after being worn and sweat into. I love the concept of hiking shorts w/built-in liners because of the comfort and ability to keep Richard and the boys cool, but the smell leaves me wondering if there are other less odorous options. :)

Nooga
01-01-2014, 12:52
Columbia water shorts work fine for me. Did not really like Golite because the waist didn't have any play no elastic, and I found them uncomfortable commando style because way too much nut movement.

Columbia water shorts work great for me.

jkahler
01-04-2014, 04:14
I thought people had smartened up about insect borne disease such as Lyme's and did not hike in shorts anymore. Especially in the northeast.

Oh well, people still smoke cigarettes, overeat, and don't wear seat belts. It's your choice and your pain-ridden life. Good luck with the shorts.:datz

I'll wear shorts and pick em' off as I go. Then we'll take turns the next morning and see who was picking ticks off all night long. Works for me in northern MN where there are ticks a plenty!

-
Nota thu hiker, but I like underarmor shorts, or the NorthFace zip of pants. Both commando.

4eyedbuzzard
01-04-2014, 12:39

Oh well, people still smoke cigarettes, overeat, and don't wear seat belts. It's your choice and your pain-ridden life. Good luck with the shorts.:datzPersonally, when it comes to preventing ticks from latching on, I find treating all my clothing (including heavy treatment on socks and boot uppers) with permethrin to be the best. Long pants alone just don't prevent the suckers from catching a ride and crawling their way to a blood supply.
I would add that when wearing shorts I also can show some leg and hitch rides much more easily. The whistles and cat calls from the ladies are just an added bonus.:p

Praha4
01-04-2014, 18:14
I was using Golite running shorts, but on my last 2 hikes, I started using Montbell Stretchlite hiking shorts, and love them. Plan on using them on all future hikes. Problem is they are out of stock at Montbell.com

Son Driven
01-04-2014, 18:29
Bought an over priced pair of North Face running shorts from a outfitter in Damascus, VA , very comfortable, and they are still in good shape after about 5 months of hiking.

Duramax22
01-04-2014, 19:12
iv always had good luck with addidas soccer shorts

Toolshed
01-04-2014, 23:59
If I am not wearing running tights style shorts (bike shorts without the padding) then I am wearing theese Asics half splits. they are short, but they are comfortable, cool, dry very fast and allow freedom of movement. http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Asics_Mens_Intensity_1_2_Split_Short/descpage-AMISIP.html

tiptoe
01-05-2014, 11:16
I backpack in EMS convertible pants and just zip off the legs in the morning. The shorts have cargo pockets, side seam pockets, back pockets, a cell phone pocket, and even a little pocket within a pocket, if memory serves. They are very durable and comfortable, too.

jjchgo
01-05-2014, 14:04
i hike in board shorts w/ tights under them. they dry quick, arent restrictive, and be had for $5-10 at resale shops and ebay.

jeffmeh
01-05-2014, 14:44
I prefer shorts with a relatively short inseam (5" - 7"), with pockets that are deep enough that items will not fall out, quick drying, light, no liner, composed of either a stretch material or cut so that I can do a deep squat (well below parallel) without the shorts causing any encumbrance.

These are not always easy to find. Some of the Adidas soccer shorts fit the bill, but not all of them. I did pick up a few pairs of the Golite Mesa 5", and will likely cut the lining out before I take them out on the trail. They only have one zippered pocket in the back, so they don't meet all of my criteria, but we shall see.

Bog Balls
01-14-2014, 12:25
+1 on these. I have the same pair. Bomb-proof, and MUCH cheaper at the outlet stores

atbackpacker
01-14-2014, 12:42

+1 for the columbia water shorts. on sale at cabelas and under $20.

marti038
01-14-2014, 13:27

Well if it's checking for ticks or heat exhaustion, I'll just check for ticks.

sadlowskiadam
01-14-2014, 16:02
I used these running shorts on my thru hike: http://www.rei.com/product/845090/the-north-face-voracious-dual-shorts-mens

The shorts have an inner liner, which I choose to cut out and go bojangles for the entire trip.

Siarl
01-15-2014, 03:45
I've only ever done short day hikes and overnight hikes. I've hiked the Redwoods, Yosemite, the Blue Ridge Parkway, trails in and around Tegucigalpa, Honduras, and portions of the Luzon, Philippines and I've never worn shorts. Never worn'em and ain't gonna. Yes, I perspire just like anyone else but it has never really bothered me. I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains and the summers were hot and humid but, again, it is something I've become accustomed to. When growing up my parents were very modest and shorts, after a certain age, were a no-no. The mention of ticks is appropriate for why I don't. It's just a personal choice.