PDA

View Full Version : First time section hiker looking for suggestions

dreamweaver21
12-28-2013, 17:02
I am planning on doing a section of the AT. I am 35 and in pretty decent shape. I have a desk job but I do P90x and Insanity and workouts like that 5-6 times a week and I run 5 miles or so a couple of times per week. I have never done any significant hiking but I used to do a decent amount of daytrips when I lived in Arizona. My hiking there was with a small camel pack and I never stayed the night out. I would do between 8 and 18 miles in a day going from 4800’ to 9000’ or so.

I will be starting on the AT in early April at the south end of the trail. I plan on flying up from FL to ATL and taking the metro / shuttle to stay at Hiker Hostel for a night and then hit the trail in the morning. I am planning on being on the trail for 3-4 weeks and I plan on sleeping in a tent vs a shelter. I could use some help on some things.

Gear – shoes. I have some running shoes (Saucony Cohesions) and some hiking shoes made my Hitec but I found out in AZ I preferred using boots. My favorite out these were some Wegner Swiss Army leather boots that I have. I liked the extra ankle support on the loose rocks. Also the shoes soles were so light that my foot would hurt when I stepped on a rock and my foot wrapped around the rock. The sturdier soles on the boots stopped that. Also, they boots kept my feet warm and dry when I got above the snow line whereas the shoes sucked in the snow. What do you think I should go with on the trail?

Gear – pack. I need to buy one. I don’t really have access to a local outfitter that I know of so I have been reading online. I am thinking either of the ones below but I am open to suggestions. These are in the $200 range.

-Granite Gear crown VC (3660ci 2lbs2oz)

-Osprey Atmos (3783ci 3lbs6oz).

Gear – tent. I found these three. I don’t plan on using trekking poles. These are in the $100-200 range.
-Eureka Spitfire 2lbs12oz not free standing
-ALPS Mountaineering - Lynx 3lbs 8oz free standing
-MSR Hubba 3lbs4oz free standing

Take out point. I haven’t decided where to shoot for or how to get back somewhat economically. Obviously I plan on flying back but from where depends on how far along I am on the trail.

That is about as far as I am right now. Any more help would be appreciated. I would like to keep my total gear purchased to 1k or less if possible but I want to have decent stuff that I would use again if I decide to keep going. I will make another post about sleeping stuff and cookware and stuff like that when I get closer to trip time.

Looking forward to some advice!

Cookerhiker
12-28-2013, 17:20
Not being a gearhead (despite having hiked the entire AT in sections), I'll limit my response to your take-point.

Taking you at your word that you're in good shape, I think you can hike to Erwin, TN. It's 342 miles from Springer which amounts to a little over 13 miles per day in 26 days of hiking, i.e. between 3 and 4 weeks. In Erwin, you can contact 10-K here on Whiteblaze for a shuttle to the Knoxville or Tri-cities airport. 10-K also advertises here on the "Today's Posts" page of WB; click on "Shuttles by Tom."

Del Q
12-28-2013, 20:15
Sounds like a great hike, would definitely go with a lighter tent.

My only experience would be take it easy the 1st few days............I learned this lesson the hard way. Dial up the miles in time, which you have enough of.

burger
12-28-2013, 22:00
As for a take-out point, my wife and I did Spriner to Gatlinburg in 15 days. If you start fit, in 3-4 weeks you shouldn't have much trouble making Hot Springs or Erwin or beyond. There are not many airports in that part of the world, so you'll either be looking at a bus ride, hitch, or shuttle to an airport. My advice would be to not overthink it--things have a way of working out when you're on the trail. You'll get home wherever you are, but it might take a couple of days.

The one thing I would add to your training would be to get in some climbing with a full or nearly full pack. If there are no good trails near you, find a treadmill, and walk uphill while wearing your pack at 10 or 15% for as long as you can. Work up to 2 hours of uphill--don't worry about speed; it's about building endurance. You'll get some strange looks at the gym, but it's a great workout.

dreamweaver21
12-28-2013, 23:48
What day time and night time temps should I expect in April between Springer, GA and Erwin, TN? Will there be any snow? I wouldn't think so but I was surprised how late the snow stayed on the ground in the mountains in Arizona so I really don't know.

I already started packing my small camel pack jogging with me just to get some weight on my back but it is only 6lbs or so with water and whatever else I stuff in there for weight.

There aren't much for hills around here to train on so I may have to treadmill some. There are a couple of places within an hour or so that I can go do an overnight shakedown hike though so I plan on doing that in March.

Sorry about the font above. I had to cut and paste from word. For some reason this forum skips a whole lot of the keys I press and it takes me forever to key into the window.

bigcranky
12-29-2013, 00:41
Weather: all over the place. In April in the southern mountains I prepare for lows in the teens and snow, which is certainly possible, but it's usually lows in the 20s and highs pushing 50 or even higher. Followed by days of rain and 35 :).

Shoes: I like my trail runners. But many hikers like boots. If you like the boots and they are broken in, that's fine.

Pack: Fit and fit are the two most important things. Does the pack fit you well, and does it fit your gear? Both of those are fine packs. You might add the REI Flash 62 to the list. If there's not an REI nearby, you can mail order it. (Looks like there's one in Jax. Doesn't help.)

Tent. Meh. People like the Hubba. I prefer a single wall Tarptent style, but they take some getting used to. A used Rainbow would be in your price range. But there are plenty of good choices that work.

I like to link to this list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) in Backpacker, about the outfitter at Neels Gap (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659). Being right on the trail (you'll walk through the building), they specialize in long distance hiking gear for the AT. This list is a great starting point.

You should be able to get the gear for less than $1K. The sleeping bag is probably the most expensive single item in most lightweight hikers' packs -- look for a down bag rated to 20F that weighs about two pounds. I'd prioritize a good bag and a good pack (and a good pack (http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm) doesn't have to be wildly expensive.)

Good luck and have fun.

daddytwosticks
12-29-2013, 15:46
The Spitfire is a decent tent. I used mine for years of section hiking before getting and using various silnylon tarptents. I tend to use a Notch for most non-summer hikes now. I still have the Spitfire stored in my gear closet. Ditch the steel stakes for some titanium ones. Elinimate the numerous stuff sacks and use some 2 mil painter's drop cloth as a groundsheet. Three pounds right on the nose. Good luck with your hike. :)

waasj
12-30-2013, 16:30
Very cool plan. Suggest a larger pack Osprey Exos for example. Good idea to work out with your pack. Stairmaster works well also. If you can find a stadium (FSU?) reasonably near you can get a decent work out there, or find the tallest office building in P'cola and see if you can climb the fire stairs. Torreya (sp) state park also has a bit of terrain (by Florida standards). Son has a Hubba Hubba (2 person), and likes it, but seems a tad heavy to me. I have a Tarptent and like it. If you can make the journey to REI in J'ville or Atlanta, the assistance offered may make it worth your while. Generally, they will offer good advice, even if it might be a product they do not sell. I prefer trail runners to boots, lighter and they dry out faster. Plan on getting rain, freezing rain and possibly snow in the southern Appalachians in April. Also plenty of good weather. Most of all, get out there and do it. If you start at Springer, on day 3 or 4 you will hit an outfitter at Neel's Gap. They can help tune your gear and ship back what you don't want to keep (and by then, you will have stuff you find you won't need!). Good luck from a fellow Florida Flatlander!!

q-tip
12-31-2013, 09:53
I have extensive spreadsheets for gear with cost and weight, food, and workouts. If you are interested, send me a PM with your email and I will forward.

dreamweaver21
01-05-2014, 20:33
I have extensive spreadsheets for gear with cost and weight, food, and workouts. If you are interested, send me a PM with your email and I will forward.

I have been looking some more and building my own spreadsheet. I am now thinking about the Osprey Exos 58 as a pack and the Spitfire as a shelter. FSU is a 3 hour drive for me so that is not happening.

I am looking at sleeping bags now.

I would be curious to see a workout schedule. Not too worried about a gear sheet. I already have one going.

Duramax22
01-06-2014, 17:27
I have a granite gear crown 60. excellent pack comfortable and carries a nice load. No experience with either tent, i have a big agnes seedhouse sl1 and its a nice tent.