PDA

View Full Version : How soon can I start?

GrandCanyonWildflowr
12-28-2013, 19:56
I'd like to start at Harper's Ferry SOBO or at the .ga .nc border where I left off. Any advice?
Unemployed and have the time right now.
Also, has anyone tried sleeping in snowpants and down coat or is that just a crazy idea?

Del Q
12-28-2013, 20:26
Your call on starting points............I briefly looked at the SELK bags, too heavy.

I guess that snowpants and a down coat could work, would suggest the more standard approach.

Sarcasm the elf
12-28-2013, 20:39
If you're thinking of hiking into the mountains this time of year, get a good sleeping bag rated for zero degrees or colder, especially if you're not used to the cold. Skimping on cold weather gear will leave you miserable at best and can be downright dangerous when the weather takes a turn for the worse.

GrandCanyonWildflowr
12-28-2013, 20:42
Looking for advice from the more experienced. How early can I reasonably start from either point?
Appreciate your wisdom.

kayak karl
12-28-2013, 20:42
a zero degree bag or quilt with a good pad or hammock setup will work fine now. sleeping in clothes does not work for me. a down coat and snowpants are heavy aren't they?

moldy
12-28-2013, 20:45
I would start the first week of April. You could still get snowed on but it's the best time to head South. If you attempt this in Jan or Feb it's a set-up for failure. I have slept in my down coat numerous times. There were some times I would have slept in snowpants if I had them.

kayak karl
12-28-2013, 20:48
Looking for advice from the more experienced. How early can I reasonably start from either point?
Appreciate your wisdom. you can start from either today.

George
12-29-2013, 00:01
you can start from either today.

but if you are used to phoenix weather, april may be a better plan

bigcranky
12-29-2013, 00:27
The weather in both places will be kinda rough right now. Either way you're headed into some big mountains -- sooner rather than later in GA/NC; and after you get through the Shennies in VA. Expect some very cold nights, in the teens or low 20s mostly and single digits sometimes. Lots of wind, occasional winter storms. Highs in the 30s to maybe the 50s. Very short days means fewer miles and much more time spent in camp, where I'm sorry but a down jacket and snow pants are not going to be enough for warmth at night. That's just asking for extremely uncomfortable nights at best, and freezing to death at worst. So yeah, crazy idea :). (You can use warm clothing to extend the range of a sleeping bag at night, under some conditions. A good down parka and insulated pants might make a good 15-F rated bag usable in the winter around here.) It'll be tougher to resupply, with rides harder to come by and none of the usual hiker services open, like hostels and easy shuttles and similar.

All of this is just the usual winter hiking stuff. Not a big deal if you are experienced and prepared for it. If so, great. There are people who start at Springer every year on Jan 1 and complete their hikes. If not, March or April would be better in the south, and late April in the north.

Understood on why you want to do this. Good luck.