PDA

View Full Version : Tarp tent cover for the HH

stag3
08-29-2005, 21:26
:clap Hey, Youngblood or anybody who knows..

You posted some photos of the HH with a tarp tent as a cover..I guess there is only one set of these photos.

Where did you get the tarp? How about size and weight? This looks like a great setup.

Youngblood
08-30-2005, 07:16
:clap Hey, Youngblood or anybody who knows..

You posted some photos of the HH with a tarp tent as a cover..I guess there is only one set of these photos.

Where did you get the tarp? How about size and weight? This looks like a great setup.
It wasn't a HH, it was a home made Speer Hammock... there are some differences in the dimensions (the Speer is a little shorter and since it is a top entry it doesn't set as high off the ground). The tarp is the second version I made specifically for that hammock and is a BIG tarp (130" long and 120" wide) with catenary curves and appropriate tieouts to form the basic structure with some tautness. I believe it weighs about 30 oz with all the guyline, shock cord, stuff sacks (one for stakes and one for the tarp), velcro, seam sealer and 12 half ounce stakes.

It is neat and arguably has a place, but most people will not want a tarp of that size. Basically it is a specialized tarp and I use it only for winter backpacking trips when I am worried about the weather getting below 20 degrees. While writing this I realized that it is "an excuse me, you want me to hammock camp in what kind of weather" shelter. :rolleyes: In the right conditions it is REALLY nice... but in the wrong conditions it is a PIA. And I like big tarps, my usual tarp is 130"x96" but with only six stakes and no velco... I think it weighs around 20 oz (again with everything). The 8 foot width gives me plenty of rain coverage and allows me to have a peripheral view in most conditions so I can get the most enjoyment out of hammock camping. When the weather turns nasty I can lower it, get up more inside the tarp and reposition the ends as necessary to get out of the wind.

Youngblood