PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pad suggestions

bert304
12-29-2013, 17:21
I went out on a over night shake down and learned the sleeping pad I have was not comfortable. I currently have the Thermarest Scout, I am looking for suggestions for better pad.

Feral Bill
12-29-2013, 17:32
Your lower legs don't need much padding, hips and shoulders do. See what you can find that is shorter, but thicker.

nastynate
12-29-2013, 17:41
I have a ridgerest solite torso, a prolite torso, and a neoair xlite large trimmed to full length for me. I like the ridgerest because I can throw it down anywhere, use it as a sit pad,etc. But I have to be careful about tent site selection. The xlite is awesome for comfort, weight, and packed size. I usually take it.

RedBeerd
12-29-2013, 17:48
My z lite is my trusty steed. Neo air x lite very light but noisy and unreliable IMO. My next pad will probably be exped UL7 because I hear its very comfy and seem to be a good balance of weight durability warmth and comfort

blue indian
12-29-2013, 17:55
Exped ul7 is where it's at

Papa D
12-29-2013, 18:04
I'm a 5'8 man and carry a ladies thermarest - - I like it because it packs up nice and small - - never had a problem with it.

he.who.forgets
05-03-2014, 22:43
It's heavy but I love my Big Agnes Q-Core. Very comfortable and warm

squeezebox
05-04-2014, 05:48
20 " is too damn narrow to be comfortable.

Venchka
05-04-2014, 09:09
20 " is too damn narrow to be comfortable.

Amen! There are 25" wide products out there. Wider is better.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

ScareBear
05-04-2014, 10:19
Amen! There are 25" wide products out there. Wider is better.

Wayne

REI Stratus Unisex-L. 25" wide. I own one and it is great for side sleeping. Similar specs to the Exped UL7 LW, but 1/2 the price.

jeffmeh
05-04-2014, 10:56
REI Stratus Unisex-L. 25" wide. I own one and it is great for side sleeping. Similar specs to the Exped UL7 LW, but 1/2 the price.

Looks like a good value. In fairness though, the Exped Synmat UL7 L-W is 1" wider, comes with a repair kit, and weighs 7 oz. less. Whether that is worth 75% more in price is personal preference. :)

dmax
05-04-2014, 11:11
Look at the Klymit Static V. The way it's made you won't roll off. It's cheap. And it's lighter than most inflatables.

Venchka
05-04-2014, 17:47
Look at the Klymit Static V. The way it's made you won't roll off. It's cheap. And it's lighter than most inflatables.

R 1.3??????? 18 ounces?????????
What's the point?
I am looking to double the R-value of my Ridgerest (R2.5) without adding any more weight than possible. I have an old 1" Thermarest R-no clue that weighs 1 lb. 12 ounces. Improving on that will be easy.
I have also decided to get one of the wide pads. So far, the Xtherm is the leader in the clubhouse.

Wayne

misterfloyd
05-04-2014, 18:06
I have the BA insulated inflatable. 1lb 13oz? I winter camp and I like the R-value. Used for a good section on the AT. It was the old one with the brass valve. Finally craped out at Mt. Mitchell, could find the leak, I was convinced it was the seal around the valve. They sent me the Blue one that has a plastic valve and it is loftier. Still prefer the older one. Asked why they replaced the brass for the plastic and they said weight... uh huh.

Going to get a closed cell thermarest for this section. Dont have to inflate deflate get faster on the trail. But the BA is really comfy.....

Floyd

nastynate
05-04-2014, 18:34
Very happy with my Neoair Xlite size large, shortened to 68". Although I still take my Ridgerest Solite torso on occasion.

dmax
05-04-2014, 23:11
R 1.3??????? 18 ounces?????????
What's the point?.
Wasn't mentioned that a winter pad is what was needed. But to each their own...

slbirdnerd
05-05-2014, 10:39
I have a Ridgerest Solite, a Z-Rest, and a Big Agnes Q-Core. I like the Z-Rest the best, its more comfy than the Ridgerest, and wider and less squeaky than the Q-Core.

SunnyWalker
05-05-2014, 15:20
I use the Scout you don't like. However, in looking all this over the NeoAir sure looks like a winner.

Giuseppe
05-05-2014, 15:37
Use a Exped ul7- 27" wide and get a great sleep every night and many envious looks when I use a shelter.

Socalhiker87
05-05-2014, 22:46
The Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Trekker is a great pad that's pretty thick when inflated. It roles up fairly compact! It's super comfortable.

Nooga
05-06-2014, 08:01
Neoair Xlite large (25" wide) and cut it to the desired length

Old Hiker
05-06-2014, 08:46
http://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-RidgeRest-Classic-Mattress-Charcoal/dp/B00HANOY9I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399380042&sr=8-3&keywords=ridgerest

Went to the above closed cell from an OLD Wally closed cell. I'm old(er) and I needed something better. It worked well for my 497 mile attempt. I was comfortable regardless of the ground. Not sure of the R-value, but I haven't had a problem with cold temps yet. It's rolled up under my pack and I can pull it off to sit against wet trees or on wet ground as needed. So far, no leaks. :)

I also have a Klymit Static V my Dad gave me. It's VERY comfortable, but I am VERY leery of it popping. I'll probably just use it on shorter trips. He also gave me the X-frame, but I'm a side sleeper, so it didn't work so well.

http://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Camping-Mattress-Green-Grey/dp/B007RFG0NM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399380192&sr=8-1&keywords=klymit

WahooBackpacker
05-09-2014, 04:14
The NeoAir Trekker looks nice. I have a NeoAir ProLite I really enjoy, and I'm on my side every now and then. Its held up well too.

Berserker
05-09-2014, 12:42
I've been using a Pacific Outdoor Equipment Ether for the last few years, and it's been a good pad. I recently upgraded to the NeoAir Xlite to gain some width, drop some weight and hopefully gain some warmth. You look like you're right around my age, and in my opinion you can't beat a nice thick air mattress. It's worth the extra ounces over something lighter (like closed cell foam) to get a good night sleep.

Gambit McCrae
05-09-2014, 14:15
Exped ul7 is the best pad in the world

rickb
05-09-2014, 18:55

A Ridge Rest can be even better.

Trebor66
05-09-2014, 19:52
Therm a Rest Pro Lite long. Never needed anything else.

Venchka
05-09-2014, 20:17

That may be true. However, I can't get excited about the 2 year warranty and skimpy R-value vs. the Thermarest unlimited warranty, higher R-value and lower weight of the Xlite or Xtherm (my first choice). And a friend of mine shared a tent with a buddy on an Exped "pool float" and complained about the sounds it made.

Wayne

July
05-09-2014, 20:31
No fail ZLite, Prolite+, NeoAir XLite

Lyle
05-10-2014, 06:41
NeoAir XTherm, size medium - warmer, and tougher than the XLite, seems much quieter than the XLite, only 2.5 ounces heavier than the XLite size regular. Plus it comes with an inflation sack. This is replacing a short ProLite that has seen better days.

I also carry a Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso Pad, 4 oz. It is the frame for my pack, a sit pad around camp, foot insulation when using the ProLite, plus it can be called back into service as the only sleeping pad if the inflatables fail. For several years this was my only 3-season pad. I just decided I wanted a little more comfort in my "Old Age".

Drybones
05-10-2014, 08:01
If I were buying a new pad I'd get one of the new Big Agnes pads, 4" thick and light weight.

Patrickjd9
05-10-2014, 08:54
My ridge rest is supplementing under the worn-out cushions on the family room couch. About all it's good for for anybody over 40.

Drybones
05-10-2014, 16:21

The best pad in the world is the one you get a good night's sleep on and it is interesting how different we are. My first "good" pad was a Prolite Plus, did a lot of research and it had good ratings, for me tho it was a pc. of doo doo. I tried several pads and finally settled on the Exped Synmat 7 UL but recently bought a knock off version for $65 less when the Exped chambers came loose and it looked like a baloon, would have gotten the new BA pad but I have a Schnozzle I use with the Exped and hated to have wasted $45 for nothing......in my opinion a bad excuse for not getting what I really wanted....not my first and I'm sure not my last wrong decision.

saltysack
05-12-2014, 20:56
Very happy with my Neoair Xlite size large, shortened to 68". Although I still take my Ridgerest Solite torso on occasion.

How hard was it to shorten ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky&Jack
05-12-2014, 21:25
Your lower legs don't need much padding, hips and shoulders do. See what you can find that is shorter, but thicker.

I havent bought a pad before, but I was wondering about that when I was shopping and noticed the longer the pad, the thicker it rolls up to.

Is it common for hikers to cut it or whatever, to make it only be long enough to support the head thru hips?

I'm 6' 3" and only having it half my size would make the rolled up size about 1/2 as thick and would save space.

Or do most hikers keep the long length to support the whole body?

rafe
05-12-2014, 21:38
I use a "shortie" pad (I'm pretty short anyway) and use my empty pack as a pad for my feet.

nu2hike
05-12-2014, 23:28
X-therm. Very comfy! :)

Venchka
05-16-2014, 22:36

I hope that I agree. After agonizing for at least a year about a new pad to replace my assortment of relics & antiques, I ordered a large XTherm and an Exped air pillow a few minutes ago. I will give them a "test drive" over the coming long weekend.

Wayne

Starvin Marvin
05-17-2014, 09:33

+2. X-Therm in the winter, X-Lite in the summer. Zzzzz...

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-17-2014, 12:19
Never used to use a pad but getting older and cold bothers me a little more. Chose an x-therm for my thru next year. Used it for the second time last weekend. Very comfortable. Only problem was sliding on the tent floor from turning during the night. Recommendations to keep that from happening?

BuckeyeBill
05-17-2014, 17:15
Never used to use a pad but getting older and cold bothers me a little more. Chose an x-therm for my thru next year. Used it for the second time last weekend. Very comfortable. Only problem was sliding on the tent floor from turning during the night. Recommendations to keep that from happening?

Paint silicone stripes on the tent floor. TT do that for you when you order from them. Hope this helps.

thomas5052
07-12-2014, 10:48
I will agree with others on the Exped UL7. It actually has the proper 20" width with inflated, unlike a lot of other pads. Also, no mummy cut or taper makes it pretty roomy IMO.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Venchka
07-12-2014, 15:02
I hope that I agree. After agonizing for at least a year about a new pad to replace my assortment of relics & antiques, I ordered a large XTherm and an Exped air pillow a few minutes ago. I will give them a "test drive" over the coming long weekend.

Wayne

Large Xtherm: Winner.
Large Exped Air Pillow (the red one): Winner.
I am a 5'8", 150 pound side sleeper. I spent a week on this combination in my apartment. A/C set to 78 degrees. I was never too hot under a sheet. I popped up every morning at my usual 5 am feeling just like I do waking up in the bed next the Xtherm. I did not even miss my big cushy down pillow.
I have found my sleep foundation system. All I need now is a new bag to put on the Xtherm.

Wayne

shelb
07-15-2014, 00:27
Just make sure you "listen" to it before you buy it!

I bought a sleeping pad that weighed less than a pound, but it sounds like someone is stepping on potato chips when I sleep on it! Even my hiking partner hated it! I could not sleep at all. Heck, that sleeping pad has now been passed around 4 family members. The only one who likes it is a youth who is comatose when he sleeps!

Venchka
07-15-2014, 08:26
Just make sure you "listen" to it before you buy it!

I bought a sleeping pad that weighed less than a pound, but it sounds like someone is stepping on potato chips when I sleep on it! Even my hiking partner hated it! I could not sleep at all. Heck, that sleeping pad has now been passed around 4 family members. The only one who likes it is a youth who is comatose when he sleeps!
I don't get it. Unless I am a Geezer who is also comatose when I sleep. Rolling onto and off of my Xtherm, there is a bit of nylon crinkle at first. Once I am on the Xtherm, it is quiet with just a light cotton sheet to muffle any sound. I fretted over the noise that everyone complained about with the Xlites & Xtherms as well as using an R-5.7 air mattress in warm weather. Both complaints are non-issues for me. Maybe the Xtherm is different than the Xlite. On the R-value concern, either the Xtherm doesn't have the R-value that Thermarest claims, or it is self-regulating in warm weather. So far, indoors on the floor in the summer in Houston, the Xtherm has been supremely comfortable and unobtrusive. I will find out about the R-value claims in my backyard this winter. As for any complaints about being slippery, no way. The bottom material has a non-skid, tacky surface. It stays in place. In fact, I need to roll it up with the top surface out or the Xtherm will not slide into the stuff sack.
When I spend this kind of money, (although I did get 30% off during REI's Anniversary sale) I get very picky. After 8 nights in a row and a total of 2 weeks on the Xtherm, I have no complaints. I will say that it took a couple of nights to get the inflation correct. Very limp to be exact. There is just enough air in the Xtherm and the Xped air pillow to keep my hips and head from bottoming out. Once I found the sweet spot, I achieved comatose quickly.
I will be sleeping on this pair in a couple weeks near Boone, NC. Standby for an on the ground in a tent update.
For now, stories of the Xtherm's noise and slippery sliding behavior seem to be greatly exaggerated based on my experience.
Sweet dreams!

Wayne

linus72
07-15-2014, 09:47
I got an REI flash insulated air pad at the garage sale for half price and its been doing a great job. My wife bought the Q-core and while its nice and fancy and she loves it, I am super happy on my less expensive flash. both are great options though.