PDA

View Full Version : To compress or not to compress

Sunshine82
12-29-2013, 18:46
Got a new ULA circuit and am having a hard time getting everything to pack after compressing my sleeping bag.just curious how many uses compression sacks and who doesn't ill be hammock camping so at least that saves a bit of volume

kayak karl
12-29-2013, 19:02
i went the compression route for my quilts, but gave it up and got a bigger pack. as i have cut back gear to a 12lb winter base weight the original pack works fine without compressing.

Son Driven
12-29-2013, 19:23
During my 2013 NOBO AT hike, I made a cylinder out of my torso sized closed cell pad. Then I placed a compactor garbage bag inside the cylinder. I stuffed my sleeping bag, under-quilt, and hammock, into the bottom. I used a stuff sack for my clothes, and put that in next, and then my food bag on top. I stored my tarp, cording, and rain gear on the outside of my pack so I could get to them quickly in the event of a rain storm. I carried a ULA catalyst. With the circuit you may need to go without the closed cell pad, and do the inflatable pad instead.

cliffdiver
12-29-2013, 19:23
I have the ULA Catalyst which I believe is a bit bigger than the Circuit. I use Sea-to-Summit compression bag for my sleeping bag- Versalite.

Studlintsean
12-29-2013, 19:33
I just pack mine loose in the bottom of my circuit. There was a recent thread titled "ULA Circuit" (I believe) you can check out for packing styles.

bigcranky
12-29-2013, 20:11
A down bag can be compressed without too many ill effects. A synthetic will lose loft quickly when compressed.

I find with my Circuit that I need to compress my winter bag, but my regular 3-season fits just fine. What else are you trying to get in there? :)

yellowsirocco
12-29-2013, 20:22
I just use an appropriately sized pack. When everything is compressed then stuff is hard to during the day.

Sunshine82
12-29-2013, 20:28
I'm just packing bag,tarp,hammock food clothes and water filter action system.i have alot of stuff on the outside

Deadeye
12-29-2013, 22:41
I'm just packing bag,tarp,hammock food clothes and water filter action system.i have alot of stuff on the outside

IMHO, if you need to put a lot of stuff outside your pack, your pack ain't big enough for what you're carrying. Hanging stuff on the outside is an invitation to lose it.

tiptoe
12-30-2013, 12:00
I find with my Circuit that I need to compress my winter bag, but my regular 3-season fits just fine.

Ditto for me. Just fiddle around until you get something that works.

steve0423
12-30-2013, 12:14
I just pack mine loose in the bottom of my circuit. There was a recent thread titled "ULA Circuit" (I believe) you can check out for packing styles.

Word...
Worked for me

Meriadoc
12-30-2013, 14:34
Got a new ULA circuit and am having a hard time getting everything to pack after compressing my sleeping bag.just curious how many uses compression sacks and who doesn't ill be hammock camping so at least that saves a bit of volume

Check that you are using the full volume of the pack. A compression sack is cylindrical shaped and may not match the contours of the Circuit. Stuff squashable stuff around the compression sack. Also try going without it altogether. Brand new Circuit - I would consider upgrading to the Catalyst or start dropping (unnecessary) stuff from your packing list.

Austin 2014
12-30-2013, 15:28
I'm prepping for a 2014 thru and started with a Circuit. No matter how I packed it, it was bursting at the seams with my gear. I switched to an Aura 65 (it's actually only 63 liters for the size small) and everything fits with just enough room to spare for food. I might be able to switch back to the Circuit for my summer gear, but my winter stuff just wouldn't fit. I like to keep things in stuff sacks so I can find them easily and won't lose them.

Dogwood
12-30-2013, 17:02

I don't know exactly where you're at in your hiking. I'll have to assume some things. I'm going to be frank but not trying to offend. I may get some things wrong or incomplete. I'm trying to help though. Keep that in mind. Two things to consider that might help:

1) Lay out all your "stuff" you want to go into the backpack organized neatly. Examine EACH item closely and assign a priority to how much you absolutely without question NEED(NOT WANT!, I said NOT WANT!). The highest priority items are placed in the MUST TAKE pile. All the rest are often luxuries or for convenience. Still feel you NEED to take some of things in the luxuries and for convenience sake piles look to compress/reduce volume of EACH and EVERY item in all piles. Yes, you already started that with the sleeping bag, which is normally one of if not the most volumous single pieces of gear in your backpack, but I BETCHA their are are other items where the volume can be decreased. One potential area is the volume of food carried. Another potential area of reducing volume is in the clothing you carry. These last two areas are where lesser experienced hikers(and sometimes very experienced hikers!) often get caught up in carrying too much volume IMHO. Your situation may also prompt you to gain a better grip on why reputable sleeping bag and reputable sleeping pad companies in their technical specs clearly list volume of their packed sleeping bags AND pads why SOME hikers carefully factor into and consider sleeping bag/quilt volume when making these purchases.

2)The ULA Circuit has quite a bit of SAFE storage volume and opportunity to carry things on the outside of the backpack. Use this volume and opportunity effectively by maximizing it. You have a huge rear stretchy mesh rear shovel pocket(w/ compression bungee that can be used to lash things to the pack, clothing?, ground cloth?), two big side stretchy mesh pockets, two hip belt pockets, two side compression straps that things can be secured with, a top compression strap that things can be secured under or to(sleeping pad, rain jacket for instance), two bottom loops/two velcro adjustable top loops typically used for carrying trekking poles but can be used for other things like tent poles, ice axe, skis, sleeping pads(in a protective bag if an inflatable pad, sleeping pads are another piece of typically high volume gear for many inexperienced conventional wt hiking style hikers), sleeping bags(again, in a WP protective sack, possible WP compression sack), holding clothing, etc

IF you can't divide things accordingly and/or can't find additional ways to safely secure things on the outside of the pack it likely means you aren't trying hard enough or, perhaps, means you need to go to a larger volume pack(which will in most likelyhood be heavier). Enjoy yourself going in that direction. OR, you could consider going the other direction which will not only lower the volume of what you carry but will also most likely make the wt you carry less. :)

peakbagger
12-30-2013, 17:53
I have always rolled up my sleeping bag, made a double or triple wrap with a nylon strap and got pretty effective compression. I use the strap when I get to camp to haul firewood and any number of other things.

nu2hike
12-31-2013, 02:56
I use to use compression bags but found that just stuffing my down quilts (hammock camper) into the bottom of my pack works much better! This method enables the quilts to adjust to shape of the pack filling the voids!

Kerosene
12-31-2013, 12:03
I use to use compression bags but found that just stuffing my down quilts (hammock camper) into the bottom of my pack works much better! This method enables the quilts to adjust to shape of the pack filling the voids!This was going to be my advice...

slbirdnerd
12-31-2013, 16:22
Compression bags limit you to the size and shape of those bags and they are hard when you have them full and compressed. I use a regular waterproof stuff sack for my down bag: stuff, mash, seal. Bag small and protected but still a little pliable. And better for your sleeping bag.

Another Kevin
01-01-2014, 21:24
IMHO, if you need to put a lot of stuff outside your pack, your pack ain't big enough for what you're carrying. Hanging stuff on the outside is an invitation to lose it.

Things that go on the outside:

Blue foam pad. (The Thermarest is inside, in its stuff sack, but at this time of year I carry two pads.)
Snowshoes (or skis, but I'm not really much of a skier) when they're not on my feet.
Crampon bag if I've brought crampons.
Poles or ice axe (if I've brought an axe) - whichever I'm not using.
Collapsible show shovel if I've brought one.
Avalanche probe.
Camera case (on a utility 'biner on a ladder strap).

For three seasons, that means that the camera bag on the ladder strap is the only thing outside. (Maybe the poles, if I need my hands free for scrambling).

I'm not sure if I'm agreeing with you or not. I'd have figured that most A-T hikers don't have a clue about winter travel (just as I'm a weekender and clueless about long distance hiking), but you're a Vermonter.

Ercoupe
01-01-2014, 21:38
Peakbagger, do you roll your down bag, I read that the Stephenson Warmlite bag people claim rolling rather than stuffing is the correct way to store pack your down bag. Although the manufactures say to stuff.

CalebJ
01-01-2014, 21:54
I generally roll my bag up and stuff it (without a stuff sack) into the bottom of the pack, then everything else goes on top. As mentioned above, it fills the shape of the pack far better that way than it would if using a stuff sack.

As to Stephenson Warmlite, I tend to ignore/read with a grain of salt most anything they say... The tone of their website (and the chain of letters posted here (http://www.weasel.com/gear_jack.html)) are enough to push me away from them. They definitely had some innovative ideas (incorporating the pad directly into the bag, for example) a few decades ago, but they've long since been surpassed by other companies and have failed to do any further innovation of their own.

squeezebox
01-02-2014, 13:33
I'm thinking when I finish gearing up I'll see how everything fits. winter bag is almost 10 L larger than summer bag. down jacket and heavy wt. fleece 3-4 L each ? That's 15-20 L change from winter to summer. So I'm thinking compress winter, not in summer. Unless I'm crazy enough to get a smaller pack for summer.

Grinder
01-06-2014, 15:45
I use a rolled up closed cell pad as my pack frame. I put my food bag on the bottom(remember to take out today's lunch), then a trash compactor bag for my sleeping bag and PJs, sock, hat and gloves . I carry a kindle which I bury in the middle of the sleeping bag. My tarp and hammock go next and my other clothes (in a dry bag) go on top.

The food bag on the bottom makes the load sit better.

leaftye
01-06-2014, 16:04
This seems like the right time to get help whittling down your gear list instead of adding a compression bag.

Dogwood
01-06-2014, 18:52
LOL, they don't want to hear it Leaftye. :) Wasted my time writing all that.

swjohnsey
01-06-2014, 22:12
I use a drybag/compression sack for my sleeping bag (Sea To Summit). If you have too much gear for a Circuit you have too much gear.

Two Speed
01-06-2014, 22:22
I use to use compression bags . . . filling the voids!
Compression bags limit you . . . better for your sleeping bag.In the same vein I've found my down bag conforms far better to the bottom of my pack with a larger stuff sack. Compressing it in a smaller stuff sack made a hard ball that didn't conform well and wasted space.

Seatbelt
01-07-2014, 13:38
LOL, they don't want to hear it Leaftye. :) Wasted my time writing all that.

This was my thought, too. I bought my ULA circuit to go lighter, not add extra stuff. It's amazing what one can do without. I just finished a few days in the Smokeys with my ULA Circuit and had plenty of room for everything, cold weather gear and all.