PDA

View Full Version : Help me fill in some blanks for NOBO 2014?

dudeijuststarted
12-29-2013, 18:55
I moved from MD to FL in 2010. With the exception of a 2010 and 2013 trip to the Smokies, I've been off the trail (elevated trail, that is) for 3 years.

I've decided on a NOBO for 2014. Rummaging through my gear and browsing the forums it "seems" that I'm behind the times, but I'm wondering what I truly need to invest in for this hike.

Here's the gear I have left that got me through Northern VA (Snickers Gap) -> Central PA (Duncannon)

Gregory Baltoro 75
REI Quarter Dome T3
Katahdin Hiker
RidgeRest
Z-Rest
REI Sleeping Pad 2.5
MSR Pocket Rocket
Big Agnes LostDog (warm weather bag)

I found all of this gear to be A-OK (I'm 6'0, 200 lbs.) and I don't see any reason to rush out and replace it. Its all in good shape and tests fine. However, I'm entering a whole new ballgame with a NOBO thru-hike (cold southern appalachians vs. hot summer mid-atlantic hiking.) Some questions:

- Maildrops: when are they absolutely necessary and when are they a "nice to have?" I figure I can resupply food and gear on the trail, and never had much of a problem doing that in the past. My past hikes have consisted of ramen, wraps, tuna and chicken, Mrs. Dash or the like, peanut butter/nutella, fruit and veggie from towns, etc. What am I missing?

- Sleeping Bag: What temp rating should I be looking at for the cold weather months? I'll deal with summer when the time comes, I have alot of experience with that.

- Water Filters: it looks like they've come a long way. Should I drop the Katahdin Hiker and iodine tablets for AquaMira and a Sawyer Mini? I'd like to save the money unless its going to save me tons of time and weight.

- Cold weather clothing: I don't like to pack alot of clothes. Can someone explain a simple warm/dry configuration for the colder climates?

- Cold weather footwear: I'm a New Balance guy in the spring/summer/fall. Is there a solid (dry) option for something more comfortable and agile than heavy boots in the winter?

- Underwear: my achilles heel was chafing on the inner thighs. I see alot of talk about bike shorts, going commando, etc. What are some preferences?

- Ankle support: I have a questionable left ankle that needs extra support. I use soft braces for most sports but am wondering what else people might be using out there

- Rain protection: My legs/waist got hammered in the Smokies a few weeks ago wearing a standard rain jacket. Seemed like a cheapie poncho would've done the trick but I'm wondering if there's a silver bullet out there to handle all-season wet conditions.

- Stuff Sacks - multiple stuff sacks or one big stuff sack?

- Pack liner - alot of people not digging pack liners, do stuff sacks render them useless?

- Insects - is this a problem in April / May NOBO?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Studlintsean
12-30-2013, 00:02
Not a thru hiker by any means but no one else bit so ill offer some advice. See below in bold.
I moved from MD to FL in 2010. With the exception of a 2010 and 2013 trip to the Smokies, I've been off the trail (elevated trail, that is) for 3 years.

I've decided on a NOBO for 2014. Rummaging through my gear and browsing the forums it "seems" that I'm behind the times, but I'm wondering what I truly need to invest in for this hike.

Here's the gear I have left that got me through Northern VA (Snickers Gap) -> Central PA (Duncannon)

Gregory Baltoro 75
REI Quarter Dome T3
Katahdin Hiker
RidgeRest
Z-Rest
REI Sleeping Pad 2.5
MSR Pocket Rocket
Big Agnes LostDog (warm weather bag)

I found all of this gear to be A-OK (I'm 6'0, 200 lbs.) and I don't see any reason to rush out and replace it. Its all in good shape and tests fine. However, I'm entering a whole new ballgame with a NOBO thru-hike (cold southern appalachians vs. hot summer mid-atlantic hiking.) Some questions:

- Maildrops: when are they absolutely necessary and when are they a "nice to have?" I figure I can resupply food and gear on the trail, and never had much of a problem doing that in the past. My past hikes have consisted of ramen, wraps, tuna and chicken, Mrs. Dash or the like, peanut butter/nutella, fruit and veggie from towns, etc. What am I missing?Sorry can't offer much here.

- Sleeping Bag: What temp rating should I be looking at for the cold weather months? I'll deal with summer when the time comes, I have alot of experience with that.I use a 20 degree WM bag in the winter with a good sleeping pad. Just used my Alpinelite this weekend in just below 20 below 20 degrees (supplemented with cold weather clothes- see below )

- Water Filters: it looks like they've come a long way. Should I drop the Katahdin Hiker and iodine tablets for AquaMira and a Sawyer Mini? I'd like to save the money unless its going to save me tons of time and weight I also used the hiker pro but switched to AM drops and find it a lot more convenient and cheap ($10). I cut the bottom of a water bottle and use this to scoop water if needed.

- Cold weather clothing: I don't like to pack alot of clothes. Can someone explain a simple warm/dry configuration for the colder climates?I used this clothing system this weekend (down to upper teens): Walking: Mid weight bottoms with shorts (cant do convertables and can walk in shorts in dry 30s), quick dry synthetic tee, Patagonia cap 3 1/4 zip, Ex officio boxers, darn tough socks, Marmot Precip Rain Jacket (breaks and ridge walks), Fleece gloves and beenie. Camp (Stays in dry sack- see below): Heavy base layer bottom and top, rain pants, Montbell Alpinelite down parka, Expedition wool socks, Rain Jacket, dry beenie.

- Cold weather footwear: I'm a New Balance guy in the spring/summer/fall. Is there a solid (dry) option for something more comfortable and agile than heavy boots in the winter I wear trail runners( brooks Cascadia 7). Even when wet while moving my feet stay warm and they dry quick(er).

- Underwear: my achilles heel was chafing on the inner thighs. I see alot of talk about bike shorts, going commando, etc. What are some preference no chaff since switching to the ex officio briefs (see above)

- Ankle support: I have a questionable left ankle that needs extra support. I use soft braces for most sports but am wondering what else people might be using out thI have a bad left ankle that I broke years ago and roll often. Get hiking poles. I use black diamond adjustable poles.

- Rain protection: My legs/waist got hammered in the Smokies a few weeks ago wearing a standard rain jacket. Seemed like a cheapie poncho would've done the trick but I'm wondering if there's a silver bullet out there to handle all-season wet conditi I like the rain jacket and pants (when real cold) option. Lots of opinions on this.

- Stuff Sacks - multiple stuff sacks or one big stuff sacis I use a trash bag to protect my sleeping bag (loose) , camp clothes (in stuff sack) , and down jacket. Hasn't failed me yet in heavy down pours and a recent fall in a creek.

- Pack liner - alot of people not digging pack liners, do stuff sacks render them useless? see above

- Insects - is this a problem in April / May NOBO? I carry bug spray in the summer months but again never thru hiked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I hope this helps some. Sent from phone if typos.

dudeijuststarted
12-30-2013, 09:13
Studlintsean, this is extremely helpful. Your gear gives me a good frame of reference for my shopping list. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

mountain squid
12-30-2013, 11:18
Some thoughts:

maildrops - unless you have some dietary concerns, you shouldn't need too many maildrops. Baltimore Jack's resupply article (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?132) might be helpful. If you do have some maildrops, I would suggest post offices easily accessible from the trail or at a Hostel that you plan to stay at. Also bear in mind, that post offices are closed on weekends and holidays (if you get into town late on Sat and Mon is a holiday . . . ). Baked Goodies from home are always nice and hopefully there is enough to share with hiker friends!

sleeping bag - in my opinion, your sleeping bag should be rated below whatever temp you routinely expect and that is directly related to your start date. Jan/Feb - maybe a 5f, Mar - maybe a 15f/20f, Apr - maybe a 20f/30f. Even though you might start during a warm spell in GA, you still need to get through The Smokies and the Roan Highlands which will likely still have cold nights in May.

water filters - I use AquaMira. The two part drops are good for 30 gallons, which for me equated to about 30 days (you'll boil meal water and every 3-5 days will have town water).

cold weather clothing - typically you want layers, but you shouldn't need more than what you'll wear at one time. If you are cold in camp, get in your sleeping bag.

cold weather footwear - most wear trail runners. They'll get wet and be frozen in the morning, you just deal with it. Always keep one pair of socks dry, this means putting cold, wet socks on in the morning. I would suggest some camp footwear.

underwear - I think I also have some Ex-Officio briefs that worked well for me.

rain protection - I wouldn't bring rain pants unless I planned to post-hole through snow, which is probably impossible to anticipate. I started off with a poncho, but got tired of stepping on it going uphill and putting it on only to have it stop raining shortly thereafter. I switched to an umbrella and wind shirt in Damascus. That combo worked well for me except in The Whites because of the wind.

stuff sacks - multiple colors and sizes

pack liner - I don't have one. Pack Cover and umbrella worked fine for me, as well as the stuff sacks.

insects - lots of gnats early on, especially when you stop. More importantly, though, is some sunscreen. No leaves on the trees and you will be exposed all day long.

Some other suggestions might be found in these threads: how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike) and some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

norovirus awareness (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)
maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)

dudeijuststarted
12-30-2013, 12:33
More excellent information mtsquid! Things are starting to come together!!!

Meriadoc
12-30-2013, 14:04
Below in blue:

- Maildrops: when are they absolutely necessary and when are they a "nice to have?" I figure I can resupply food and gear on the trail, and never had much of a problem doing that in the past. My past hikes have consisted of ramen, wraps, tuna and chicken, Mrs. Dash or the like, peanut butter/nutella, fruit and veggie from towns, etc. What am I missing? As long as you are willing to sometimes make do with less than stellar choices, maildrops are not needed. Especially with AWOL's guide, you have a good idea of what is available ahead and can plan purchases accordingly without mail drops. That's for food. For gear, if you switch to a warmer summer bag and summer clothing, you'll want to have it shipped back to you around Bennington VT.

- Sleeping Bag: What temp rating should I be looking at for the cold weather months? I'll deal with summer when the time comes, I have alot of experience with that.I'll second the opinions above.

- Water Filters: it looks like they've come a long way. Should I drop the Katahdin Hiker and iodine tablets for AquaMira and a Sawyer Mini? I'd like to save the money unless its going to save me tons of time and weight. Depends on the person. AquaMira definitely - there is a much shorter wait to use the water compared to iodine. I'd pick up some AquaMira or MSR Sweetwater and carry the Katadyn with you - you'll quickly find out on the trail whether the pump is worth it to you. If you have to replace the Katadyn, most hikers I know would replace it with a Sawyer.

- Cold weather clothing: I don't like to pack alot of clothes. Can someone explain a simple warm/dry configuration for the colder climates?My body runs hot. Wool socks, thin nylon pants, a cold weather baselayer (this one: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-coldgear-fitted-mock/pid1215483-400 (http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-coldgear-fitted-mock/pid1215483-400)), thin liner gloves, windproof hat. I hike in that below 30 degrees. I often wear heavy duty mittens until my body has warmed enough to keep my hands warm. A rain jacket blocks wind and offers a good bit of warmth. I also layer a Patagonia nanopuff for short stops (my favorite piece of kit - wind resistant and stays warm even when wet) and a light down jacket (Montbell UL) for camp. I started in April and sent the down jacket home fairly early.

- Cold weather footwear: I'm a New Balance guy in the spring/summer/fall. Is there a solid (dry) option for something more comfortable and agile than heavy boots in the winter? I don't know of any. I'm experimenting with building my own minimalist winter footwear. (Note: I wore trail runners and would wear them again. My comment is in regards to dry footwear for winter - not what I would wear on another thru.)

- Underwear: my achilles heel was chafing on the inner thighs. I see alot of talk about bike shorts, going commando, etc. What are some preferences? Ex Officio boxer briefs are great. They are my go-to item. I wear them under my kilt too.

- Ankle support: I have a questionable left ankle that needs extra support. I use soft braces for most sports but am wondering what else people might be using out there I can't help on this one. I would bet there are strengthening exercises.

- Rain protection: My legs/waist got hammered in the Smokies a few weeks ago wearing a standard rain jacket. Seemed like a cheapie poncho would've done the trick but I'm wondering if there's a silver bullet out there to handle all-season wet conditions. Ponchos fail in high wind scenarios. For spring and fall, I like a rain kilt but it too fails in high wind scenarios although it worked slightly better than the poncho. In winter conditions I bring/wear rain pants. If you are going the poncho route, consider the Packa which integrates a pack cover into the poncho.

- Stuff Sacks - multiple stuff sacks or one big stuff sack? Stuff sacks of different colors: one for food, one for clothing, one for stove, one for shelter, and one for TP/hygiene.

- Pack liner - alot of people not digging pack liners, do stuff sacks render them useless? Stuff sacks are generally not water proof but are water resistant. A simple contractor trash bag or compactor trash bag works great. A lightweight silynylon pack cover is nice too - it prevents the backpack from soaking up and retaining water.

- Insects - is this a problem in April / May NOBO? At least by the end of May the bugs start to come out. They never bothered me while moving and my shelter's netting was quite sufficient.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

dudeijuststarted
12-30-2013, 15:25
Thanks Meriadoc. Does anyone see a need for a redundant pair of baselayer pants and shirt? It seems that packing winter clothing will take some practice.

What is the weapon of choice for camp shoes?

Any choice UL umbrellas?

I've always used plain old rope or twine for bear bags, is there a better option?

dudeijuststarted
12-31-2013, 15:43
I've got a pair of ExOfficio's and a pair of Minus33 Merino's coming for testing.

Found a few ankle strenghtening tips: http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/12-ways-to-build-ankle-strength-for-top-performance

Someone else had the camp shoe question: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100537-Camp-Shoes-other-than-Crocs&highlight=crocs

mountain squid
12-31-2013, 18:11
You'll definitely see lots of Crocs. I have some Waldies (similar to Crocs without the strap).

I have a Montbell (http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=1405) umbrella. GoLite's (http://www.golite.com/accessories/umbrellas1) are popular.

Paracord or 550 cord is good for bear bagging. You might find something at WalMart or REI or Campmor to suffice. I would suggest at least 50 feet of it.

My theory on clothing is not to carry more than what you will wear at one time. In other words, would you ever wear 2 pairs of pants at the same time? If not, you are probably carrying too much . . . as far as testing skivvies . . . ?!?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Studlintsean
12-31-2013, 19:03
Clothing: As posted above, I can't seem to make myself like the convertible pants so I wear light or mid weight base layer for walking in cold weather. I like the shorts on top because it doesn't look as funny and I can typically walk in shorts in weather down to 30 ish. The redundancy here is I always have base layers that I keep dry for at camp. I hear some people don't bring camp clothes but in cold weather, their is nothing Better than putting on dry clothes in camp.

Camp shoes: personal preference but I like being able to take my shoes off and let me feet breathe in a pair of crocs at the end of the day. They are easy to slip on and off in the middle of the night and can be worn around town (in my case to and more importantly from the trail). Luxury item that doesn't weigh much at all.

I am mostly a weekend hiker but have done enough hikes that I know what works for me. I would pack on the side of caution and then send stuff home after a week or two or do 3-4 hikes before you leave. Everyone has their own system that works for them. You will learn what works for you pretty quick.

Meriadoc
12-31-2013, 21:29
Crocs or something similar are well worth their weight in cold 3 season weather. In warm weather, I go barefoot around camp.

Clothing for cold weather at camp: Keep dry (along with your sleeping bag/quilt) at all costs.
Warm socks, baselayers for bottom and top.
You'll have to experiment a bit to find out exactly how much you need to sleep comfortably in a given sleeping bag/quilt and at a given temperature. Wearing clean (nonhiking) baselayers can also keep your bag/quilt cleaner and less stinky. I have a sleeping bag liner but found it to not be worth its weight.

CarlZ993
12-31-2013, 23:28
I'll make a quick comment on some of your stuff you currently have. Then, I'll give you my opinion (for what it's worth) on some of your other questions.

Your pack is little on the big side for most thru-hikers (& heavy). And a pack abhors a vacuum. You'll end up filling it with stuff. You won't need a 3-person tent if you're solo. Saw a lot of Pocket Rocket stoves. Quite a few Zrest pads. A few Hiker & Hiker Pro filters. Those filters are a little heavy.

Maildrops - Most thru-hikers didn't use this strategy (except for a few locations). I used maildrops almost exclusively. It worked for me. Never missed any food. The money I saved w/ cheaper food purchased in bulk @ home was eaten up w/ postal fees. But, I got stuff that I always liked that was sometimes hard to find on the trail.

Sleeping Bags - Mountain Squid was pretty spot on for the temperature ranges. I started on 3/21 & carried a 15 deg down bag. A couple of nights, I wore every stitch of clothing while sleeping & stayed tolerable in the coldest nights. I later reverted to a 40 deg bag.

Water purification - Saw mostly AM or Sawyer Squeeze filters used on the trail. I used AM. No complaints. Just be sure you screw the top on tightly. Save the mixing cap from your first set when you resupply. Speeds up water purification @ camp. If you use SS, be sure that it stays above freezing. Freezing renders it useless.

Cold weather clothing - Hike cool. This minimizes sweating. On day 1, it was 14 deg & I was hiking w/ nylon pants (running shorts as underwear), wool SS undershirt, nylon long sleeve hiking shirt, wind shirt, knit cap, & gloves. As long as I kept moving, I was okay. I didn't stop much. I had additional layers (long underwear, Montbell insulating jacket, rain pants/parka) for when I reached camp.

Cold weather footgear - Your feet/shoes will get wet & cold. Waterproof footwear slows down the 'getting wet' process. But, they take much longer to dry. I used trail runners (Cascadias) & mid-weight wool socks (REI or Darn Tough). My feet stayed warm enough while moving. I took an extra stuff sack for my shoes & kept them in my sleeping bag when they were wet & it was going to be sub-freezing that night.

Underwear - I used running shorts (w/ 5" inseam & liner brief) as underwear. No problems chaffing. Been using this strategy for years. Saw a lot of compression shorts being used w/ positive results.

Ankle support - Not an issue w/ me. Can't help you there.

Rain gear - Most hikers I saw used both rain pants & parkas at the start. Some sent home their pants when the weather warmed up. I kept both of mine the entire hike. If you do w/o pants, you might wish you had them in the Whites & Maine (depending on when you hit there). Didn't see a lot of parkas.

Stuff sacks - I used multiple stuff sacks (waterproof for clothing, sleeping bag, & TP). Water resistant stuff sacks for other items (toiletries, essentials, etc).

Pack liners - I used a trash compactor bag. Most of the hikers I saw used a pack liner as well. I used a pack cover as well. A little redundancy to ensure dry stuff.

Bugs - I didn't find much problems w/ bugs until late May. June was horrible in CT & MA. Really bad. Did I tell you that it sucked? I guess you catch my drift.

Note: When you start talking about gear & strategies, you'll undoubtedly get many different opinions. If what you're doing & using works, good. If not, don't be afraid to try something different. When in doubt, less pack weight always helps. Especially for the older hikers on the trail like me. I wish you luck on your hike.

dudeijuststarted
01-01-2014, 12:27
Thanks, I agree. As far as the tent and pack go, I know (and my body knows) I can shed a few lbs there. The tent is the result of trying many UL solo tents and hammocks at the time and just not getting comfortable at the end of the day. My hope is to start off with this gear and get some inspiration along the way to see what I can drop. Instead of buying blind I figure I'll save some money and use what worked several years ago, as at least I know what to expect. A week into the hike I'd imagine I'll be buying new gear and sending some home. Hopefully with a little luck I can find some UL gear at a steal.

Warmth, food, health, and injury prevention are at the top of my priority list right now as I can't buy that an outfitter when it becomes a real problem.

fins1838
01-01-2014, 12:34
Scratch mail drops. Negatives outweigh positives. Cash is king.

dudeijuststarted
01-01-2014, 20:43
Date moved up. Bought a ticket into ATL from LAX 3/20, lands around 8AM 3/21. Spent the day picking up medkit stuff. They also had paper-thin $1 back pain patches that work just as well as the $10 stuff (been wearing one for hours!) Goody's pain powder is my personal wonder drug, a dozen packets fold up into a paper-thin slice of foil. With some benadryl should have dependable relief. Going to give Body Glide a shot, and have a small tube of triamcinolone acetonide to knock out rashes (boo!) faster. The girlfriend found some nice zip-locked pencil cases at the Dollar Store, they work well for toiletries / meds / batteries. They are clear and flexible yet sturdier than a ziploc. Inside a dry sack they should work out quite well and take up virtually no volume. All in all alot accomplished today. Thanks for everything so far folks.

HikerMom58
01-01-2014, 22:21
Date moved up. Bought a ticket into ATL from LAX 3/20, lands around 8AM 3/21. Spent the day picking up medkit stuff. They also had paper-thin $1 back pain patches that work just as well as the $10 stuff (been wearing one for hours!) Goody's pain powder is my personal wonder drug, a dozen packets fold up into a paper-thin slice of foil. With some benadryl should have dependable relief. Going to give Body Glide a shot, and have a small tube of triamcinolone acetonide to knock out rashes (boo!) faster. The girlfriend found some nice zip-locked pencil cases at the Dollar Store, they work well for toiletries / meds / batteries. They are clear and flexible yet sturdier than a ziploc. Inside a dry sack they should work out quite well and take up virtually no volume. All in all alot accomplished today. Thanks for everything so far folks.

Sounds like you had a productive day! :D Good luck on your upcoming hike!

dudeijuststarted
01-04-2014, 21:19
Scored two UA ColdGear baselayer shirts today (black and white) at 50% off. TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Added a P38 can opener, sawyer mini (dropping the Katadyn,) AM, Nalgene cantene for camp water, and GSI minimalist cookset (for use with the Pocket Rocket.)

Getting aggressive with the search for deals at thrift stores and discount retailers. I've got intentions toward the TarpTent Rainbow but am still lost on the pack situation. The Gregory rides so well it will be hard to let go, but the weight considerations are really difficult to ignore (that's what she said.)

Draggin
01-05-2014, 10:26
Trash compactor bag works well for a pack liner, which keeps your stuff dry, and a pack cover (silnylon) keeps the pack from getting wet and heavy I made my own and it works well. I second the WM bags they rock. If you can keep your pack weight down trail runners will be fine, look at Solomon's.
You can check out my tentative eqipment list at www.trailjournals.com/draggin (http://www.trailjournals.com/draggin) in the 2014 journal.
Hope this helps
Draggin

dudeijuststarted
01-05-2014, 14:37
Trash compactor bag works well for a pack liner, which keeps your stuff dry, and a pack cover (silnylon) keeps the pack from getting wet and heavy I made my own and it works well. I second the WM bags they rock. If you can keep your pack weight down trail runners will be fine, look at Solomon's.
You can check out my tentative eqipment list at www.trailjournals.com/draggin (http://www.trailjournals.com/draggin) in the 2014 journal.
Hope this helps
Draggin

Thanks Draggin. I see your 2014 post...hoping you can pull things together for another thru!

dudeijuststarted
01-15-2014, 19:14
Just got AWOL's NOBO book. Landlord let me out of the lease early. Ready to do this thing!!!!