PDA

View Full Version : Money and tents

paul f
12-29-2013, 19:09
Hi, I'm a hiker from the U.K flying into D.C to section hike the A.T from Harpers Ferry up into N.Y state in mid march next year. I'm expecting it to take around a month (touch wood, I'm in training). I've got sorted and testing out most of my clothing/equipment but I need two bits of advice please.

1) Money. Cash or pre-paid bank card or a combination of both? Or something else I haven't thought of?

2) Tents. With my timings and position on the A.T I don't expect it to be overly busy. Thus, I'd rather not spend a tonne of money on a tent I'd barely use if I'll be spending most of my nights in a shelter. I will take a tent/tarp, but would rather spend more money on other bits so don't want to go for top of the range for little usage. Thoughts?

many thanks

paul

garlic08
12-29-2013, 19:52
1) Combination of both, mainly plastic. Cash comes in handy sometimes, as some small business do not accept plastic.

2) Look at single wall tents like those made by Tarptent. The Contrail is relatively inexpensive, US$200, very light, and serves very well on the AT.

Good luck.

fredmugs
12-29-2013, 19:57
For a tent check the Selling Used Gear forum here.

Starchild
12-29-2013, 19:59
Cash on the AT = plastic with some ever constant, but low amount of need for paper along the way.

Tent, IMHO if its over 2 lbs 'complete' (that includes everything), you are carrying too much IMHO. Mine was 1 Lb 1 Oz with the addition of one trecking pole (still with that pole under 2 lbs).

bigcranky
12-29-2013, 20:07
Just checking that you know what the weather will be like in Pennsylvania and New York in March and early April....

Edit: debit card is good; you can get cash back from a grocery store when resupplying. I like to have some cash, maybe $100 at any given time. Credit card in reserve for emergencies.

A used Contrail would be a good choice. Tenting is warmer than sleeping in open shelters (for the same reason bridges freeze before the road surface.)

Okie Dokie
12-29-2013, 20:31
If you have a good sleeping bag, rated for the possibility of temperatures in the 20s in March, you'll be ok without a tent as long as you commit to making a shelter by nightfall on wet nights. The incentive of having no tent focuses your mind like you wouldn't believe, and helps you plan accordingly. A shelter will always hold one more even when full....hopefully you'll run into shelter-dwellers who share that sentiment.

Cash is always accepted...denominations no larger than a $20.00 is helpful to some businesses in remote locations. Larger towns and businesses don't mind plastic. If you find yourself in a situation where you have to offer someone some money to give you a ride somewhere smaller denominations than a $20.00 might be helpful.

Odd Man Out
12-29-2013, 20:59
Hi, I'm a hiker from the U.K flying into D.C to section hike the A.T from Harpers Ferry up into N.Y state in mid march next year. I'm expecting it to take around a month (touch wood, I'm in training). I've got sorted and testing out most of my clothing/equipment but I need two bits of advice please.

1) Money. Cash or pre-paid bank card or a combination of both? Or something else I haven't thought of?

2) Tents. With my timings and position on the A.T I don't expect it to be overly busy. Thus, I'd rather not spend a tonne of money on a tent I'd barely use if I'll be spending most of my nights in a shelter. I will take a tent/tarp, but would rather spend more money on other bits so don't want to go for top of the range for little usage. Thoughts?

many thanks

paul

A Visa or Master Card will do for most things. If you can withdraw cash from and ATM with a 4 digit PIN, then you should be set. However, I always travel with a second card as a backup in case one card is lost, doesn't work, etc... I have an ATM card that does not have a Visa/MC logo on it so it can ONLY be used to get cash and then only with the PIN - a little extra security. Also, know that a prepaid bank card may not work for renting a car, just in case you were thinking about that.

Your thought about bringing a tent, even if you don't need it often is sound. Assuming that you can rely on spaces in shelters can get you in trouble. You mention a tarp. If you are experienced with a tarp, then I would think that a cheap generic tarp would be your least expensive and one of your lighter options.

paul f
12-29-2013, 20:59
I have a mammut kompakt winter sleeping bag, I know it's going to get pretty cold at night! The temps that I've researched online seem about the same as what they are over here at the moment, I've got some winter trousers and the standard 3 layer upper body outfit with an outdoorsy coat thrown in for when I need it.

My only issue with plastic is if it broke then I might struggle to get money out, but I guess that's the same for everyone.

paul f
12-29-2013, 21:05
A Visa or Master Card will do for most things. If you can withdraw cash from and ATM with a 4 digit PIN, then you should be set. However, I always travel with a second card as a backup in case one card is lost, doesn't work, etc... I have an ATM card that does not have a Visa/MC logo on it so it can ONLY be used to get cash and then only with the PIN - a little extra security. Also, know that a prepaid bank card may not work for renting a car, just in case you were thinking about that.

Your thought about bringing a tent, even if you don't need it often is sound. Assuming that you can rely on spaces in shelters can get you in trouble. You mention a tarp. If you are experienced with a tarp, then I would think that a cheap generic tarp would be your least expensive and one of your lighter options.

Thanks, I didn't know about the extra secure card, sounds like a great safety net. I guess being money conscious I'm just trying to make sure I don't pay extra charges for withdrawing/exchange rate etc. I'm not overly experienced with tarps (a couple of RAF exercise days with school) but I'm quite an outdoorsy guy and willing to give it a try and learn about using them.

SunnyWalker
12-29-2013, 21:36
Tarp with a net rigged under it and you would probably be happier. I use, and am not necessarily saying to purchase it, just as an example: Gatewood Cape with the net tent under it. You can see this rig on Youtube. It will give you ideas and all. Welcome to the USA and have a great time. Are you near Bury St. Edmunds? My son is there and he is in the USAF.

PS. I used the above on CDT. While on AT I used Hennessee Hammock.

Papa D
12-29-2013, 21:48
Cash is always preferred - even though 100s would be a lighter way to carry a few hundred bucks, I'd suggest 20s - much easier to change - maybe a credit card as an emergency back-up - - keep it somewhere else than your money - - it would be rare indeed to be robbed but it could happen - - I keep a cc and a few 20s in my rain pants (or sometimes my rain jacket) pocket - - this piece is usually stashed anyway. The bankroll goes in my little sack with my headlamp and other little personal things - - i-pod mini, ear plugs, .....

I find tenting much more comfortable and reliable than sheltering. My go to tent is a Hubba Carbon Reflex. I also like the 6-moons design TarpTent - - if funds are tight, like others have said, look at this website on the used gear posting - - any lightweight, easy to pitch, waterproof solo tent will do - - - of course you can also take your chances on the shelters but a combination of sheltering and tenting is probably the most realistic.

Feral Bill
12-29-2013, 21:51
You shouldn't need a bug net in March and April. An 8x10 tarp with a small ground cloth, some line, and a few pegs will work well, and unlike a tent, you can use it as a shelter front for windy nights. Your weather could be borderline hot to bitter cold, with a certainty of rain or snow at some point. Do have a great trip.

Nyte
12-29-2013, 22:10
Having lived a good portion of my life near Harper's Ferry, in MD, be aware that some years, March gets more snow than the rest of winter, and some years it is as cold as January or February. Going north from this area, you will most likely find the same basic conditions, adjusted for altitude.

That said, some years, March and April are disgustingly hot (for so early), and either way, rain, sometimes for days, is to be expected in that time frame.

Odd Man Out
12-29-2013, 22:32
Thanks, I didn't know about the extra secure card, sounds like a great safety net. I guess being money conscious I'm just trying to make sure I don't pay extra charges for withdrawing/exchange rate etc. I'm not overly experienced with tarps (a couple of RAF exercise days with school) but I'm quite an outdoorsy guy and willing to give it a try and learn about using them.

I don't know what terms you would get over there, but most US Bank Credit Cards charge and international transaction fee (like 3%). I shopped around and found a card that doesn't do that to use when I travel. Also for a credit card, there are often fees and/or very steep interest rates for cash advances. A prepaid card or a bank debit card where you are withdrawing your own money from an account/balance are less likely to have these. However in the US, most banks will charge a fee for taking money from some other bank's machine. You may even find that you get charged a fee from both ends - the bank whose machine you are using and the bank you are taking the money from. You just have to ask your bank what fees they charge. I would recommend using ATM from regular banks rather than the no-name machines you might find at a gas station or convenience store. The conventional wisdom is that using credit cards and cash machines will give you the best possible exchange rate compared to a currency exchange window where you exchange GBP for USD. Besides, outside the airport or major cities, you are not likely to find any currency exchange facilities, so ATM's will be your best or only bet.

Don H
12-30-2013, 06:44
Cash on the AT = plastic with some ever constant, but low amount of need for paper along the way.

Tent, IMHO if its over 2 lbs 'complete' (that includes everything), you are carrying too much IMHO. Mine was 1 Lb 1 Oz with the addition of one trecking pole (still with that pole under 2 lbs).

Which tent?

bigcranky
12-30-2013, 09:10
Not sure I'd experiment with a tarp for the first time on a winter hike. I think having a reliable storm-proof shelter is more important in this case. (I say that as someone who has been in several winter storms under a small tarp.)

Hikemor
12-30-2013, 10:03
Trying to spend money in another country tends to incur fees and hassles. Cash is always a good option but evaluate the cash exchange rate vs. credit card/bank fees from pulling cash from ATMs or straight credit card purchases (3 percent on my cards for international transactions). ATMs are abundent in the US as is the opportunity to purchase pre-paid debit cards (in grocery/department/convienience stores).

A light tarp or single-wall tent is likely your best bet. Bugs will not be a problem but condensation in damp or cold weather may be.

March/early April may be the worst time to hike the mid-Atlantic states due to the potential for cold rain/snow and generally crappy conditions. I think a mid-April start would be much better.

handlebar
12-30-2013, 12:40
Beside using a debit card to get cash back at grocery stores in the larger towns, you can also use it at US Post Offices to get cash back (providing the clerk has sufficient cash in the drawer). Just buy a 1 penny stMp and ask for cash back. The maximum you can get is $50. Neither the grocery store nor the post office charges a transaction fee, though your bank back in the UK may have a fee for using an ATM that doesn't belong to them in addition to a fee for exchanging pounds in your account to dollars. Making up for that somewhat is that you get a very good exchange rate. You should seek advice from your bank.

You are probably already aware that you can get a train to Harper's Ferry from Union Station in downtown Washington DC. I believe there is bus transport to DC from Bith Dulles and Baltimore-Washington International Airports. At Harpers Ferry you can take a bus west to the Walmart where you can purchase supplies. Fuel will be available at the outfitter in HF.

HooKooDooKu
12-30-2013, 12:58
The Big Agnes Copper Spur line of tents are getting a minor make-over for 2014. So a lot of sites are having clearance sales on the 2013 Copper Spur. One site in particular, www.Campsaver.com (http://www.Campsaver.com), has the Copper Spur UL1 discounted by 30% and it's ground cloth discounted by 25%. Then, on top of that, they have a discount coupon (Twenty20 as shown on their home page) that will get you an additional 20% off. So at this very moment, you could get a Copper Spur UL1 with ground cloth for $226. (The UL2 and UL4 are already sold out).

Oh yea, for those that don't know, the 2013 UL1 with ground cloth has a packed weight of right at 3lbs and a size of 90 x 42/30 (trapizoid shape).

paul f
12-30-2013, 18:27
Tarp with a net rigged under it and you would probably be happier. I use, and am not necessarily saying to purchase it, just as an example: Gatewood Cape with the net tent under it. You can see this rig on Youtube. It will give you ideas and all. Welcome to the USA and have a great time. Are you near Bury St. Edmunds? My son is there and he is in the USAF.

PS. I used the above on CDT. While on AT I used Hennessee Hammock.

I'm a couple of hours further north than your son, in a county called Lincolnshire. Pretty much all my family work in the R.A.F here. We have loads of bases due to the flat and very cheap land compared to the south. Have been fortunate to see the Red Arrows practice overhead on numerous occasions whilst at work.

paul f
12-30-2013, 18:32
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, guess I'll have to keep looking and end up making a decision at some point! Unfortunately due to work commitments I have to be back over here for mid-may, thus the earlier than preferential start date. However, I would rather it be colder than too warm, as with weather most of the time it's a case of fingers crossed!

Thanks again everyone

q-tip
12-31-2013, 09:51
+ on the Contrail-tent for life...great value at $200 and if you need to sell it after the trip, there is a robust market for Tarp Tents by Henry Shire