PDA

View Full Version : Long section hike

Chex Mix
12-30-2013, 10:53
Well this is kinda straight forward. I've hiked all the trail south of pearisburg. From there to katahdin it's around 1500 miles. I have around 104 days to hike. Is this doable? It averages to 15 mpd not including neros and zeros.

Don H
12-30-2013, 11:14
Hike as far as you can and enjoy.
The average complete thru is, I believe, 150 hiking days.

bigcranky
12-30-2013, 14:17
At your age? Sure, it's doable. Just need to focus on the trail and not get sidetracked in town or with a slower group. Even if you take 14 zero days, and hike for 90 days, that's only 16.67 miles per day. 80 hiking days is just under 19 mpd. Very doable. I probably wouldn't start out the gate at 17 or more mpd, but you can start slower and easily average that.

Have fun!

RED-DOG
12-30-2013, 14:20
I would go as far as i can, and still take the time to really enjoy it, thats the KEY, ENJOY IT.

FarmerChef
12-30-2013, 14:25
Is it doable? Sure! At your age I'm sure you'll be pulling higher mileage after a couple weeks and that will buy you a bit more time for neros/zeros and town stops. The key, as others have said, is to enjoy it, whatever that means to you. If it's hanging with a group and hitting all the town stops, go for it. If it's spending as much time as far from town as possible, go for it! Don't worry about the time or finishing per se. Finish when you finish. Enjoy the journey as much, if not more, than the destination.

fredmugs
12-30-2013, 18:53
It's doable at my age. I normally tell people that you'll cover about 25% less distance a day (from your norm) once you hit the Whites so I would try and be ahead of 15 MPD pace before you get there.

hikerboy57
12-30-2013, 20:57
its doable, but northern nh and western maine youre not gonna be doing 15 mile days, more than likely 8-10mpd. my concern would be you push through that area too hard. its the best stretch on the entire at, so take your time. if you had to come back and take a few weeks the following year to do maine, it wouldnt be the worst. maine is too beautiful to push through just to get done.