PDA

View Full Version : Camp Shoes, other than Crocs?

LAF
12-30-2013, 20:45
What's everyone using for camp shoes besides crocs? Crocs seem a bit heavy to be carrying on a thru (nearly a pound?). I've looked at a couple options but not happy with any of them. Looking for light & comfy with room for socks. Hard to get out and look around at the moment; not much here on the islands.

Slosteppin
12-30-2013, 21:13
Do a search for Vivo Bare foot shoes. Mine weigh about half what my Crocs do. I wear them bare foot or with socks, depending on the weather.

Sheriff Cougar
12-30-2013, 21:31
I use some cheap water shoes that can be bought at Wings or stores like that. I live on the coast and there are a lot of these stores that cater to beachgoers. The shoes are lightweight, have a good sole and dry fairly fast after getting wet and are lightweight. They could be used to hike in if you had to but I would not go very far in them.

Bags4266
12-30-2013, 21:48
Whats nice about the crocs is they are loose fitting, even with socks. Try the walmart version of them, I believe they are lighter.

jimmyjam
12-30-2013, 21:53
You can make some pretty light ones like I did from flipflop soles with Cuben added to make shoes. Also I think cedatree sells them.

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2013, 22:08
http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Page532.html

Cedar Tree came up with a great idea in UL camp shoes, they are comfortable and warm. - PM him - he's a member.

Don's Brother
12-31-2013, 00:25
I used Vivobarefoot Ultra for the entire hike. At about $50, they are very light and flexible. They easily fit in the mesh pocket on the back of my ULA Circuit pack. They also made good town shoes with or without socks. After I replaced my superfeet liners in my trail runners, I put the old pair of superfeet in the Vivobarefoot. Wish I had thought about this earlier.

ams212001
12-31-2013, 00:42
I used Vivobarefoot Ultra for the entire hike. At about $50, they are very light and flexible. They easily fit in the mesh pocket on the back of my ULA Circuit pack. They also made good town shoes with or without socks. After I replaced my superfeet liners in my trail runners, I put the old pair of superfeet in the Vivobarefoot. Wish I had thought about this earlier.

I bought a pair of vivo's on super sale and I did not like bumps on the inside of the shoe. Hurt my feet more. putting the super feet in the show makes sense. I switched over to cheap walmart croc knock offs.

nu2hike
12-31-2013, 02:50
I have the Vivobare which I love! My only complaint is that they are very slippery! Busted my a$$ in camp on a slight slope! My only fall during the entire 70 mile hike! :(

daddytwosticks
12-31-2013, 08:11
Tevas. Everyone will tell you that they are too heavy. Found a pair (size 10) this summer that weighted 11 ounces. Love them as camp shoes and beach wear, etc. More compact than crocs. Not as ugly plus they are very cool (literally)! :)

forrest!
12-31-2013, 08:55
A duplicate pair of hiking shoes. I use trail running shoes. My current pair weighs about 22 oz. I carry a duplicate pair, and keep them reasonably dry. Wonderful on freezing mornings to put on dry non-frozen shoes to hike in.

Forrest

Paul the Brit
12-31-2013, 09:13
I use some cheap water shoes that can be bought at Wings or stores like that. I live on the coast and there are a lot of these stores that cater to beachgoers. The shoes are lightweight, have a good sole and dry fairly fast after getting wet and are lightweight. They could be used to hike in if you had to but I would not go very far in them.

+1 you can these at walmart for $5

No Directions
12-31-2013, 09:19
I remove the laces from my hiking shoes when I get to camp. They fit much looser then, like slippers. Easy to get into if I have to get up in the middle of the night and no additional weight.

kayak karl
12-31-2013, 09:59
http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Page532.html

Cedar Tree came up with a great idea in UL camp shoes, they are comfortable and warm. - PM him - he's a member.

these are pic's CT posted in Hammock F. they weight 2.5 oz per pair.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51971&d=1371955514

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51973&d=1371955514

Coffee
12-31-2013, 10:45
With my trail runners, I never feel a need for camp shoes but I do like having "shower shoes" for use in hostels or campgrounds. But I have yet to find any that are both light and durable enough. I do worry about fungus and other issues in public showers but it is probably more of a psychological thing than anything related to possible germs.

slbirdnerd
12-31-2013, 16:29
I picked up a pair of $15 Skechers molded foam (like crocs) flip flops at a bog box retailer last summer. They are all one piece so there is no toe-strap to pull out of the bottom. They are very light and great for camp, but you can't ford in them. In that case: remove shoes, remove socks, remove insoles, put shoes back on...

Kerosene
01-01-2014, 14:41
I used Vivobarefoots (15 oz, size 10) as camp shoes from Pinkham Notch to Rangeley in Fall 2012, replacing an 7 oz pair of slide sandals I bought from a big box store years ago. While the Vivo's were more comfortable, they weren't any more packable than my sandals and not worth the half-pound penalty. I'll be upgrading to Cedar Tree's CF booties for my next hike.

Colter
01-01-2014, 14:58
I use my hiking shoes.

jeffmeh
01-01-2014, 15:03
The other consideration is whether you want your camp shoes to be ventilated enough to let your feet breathe, or whether you would prefer something that would keep your feet clean and provide some water resistance. I'm in the former camp, so like the Vivo Ultras. If I wanted the latter, I would definitely pick up a pair of CedarTree's cuben booties.

Meriadoc
01-01-2014, 17:16
Tevas. Everyone will tell you that they are too heavy. Found a pair (size 10) this summer that weighted 11 ounces. Love them as camp shoes and beach wear, etc. More compact than crocs. Not as ugly plus they are very cool (literally)! :)

Tevas for hiking and the same pair for camp, just change socks. Or go barefoot around camp.

CalebJ
01-01-2014, 19:58
I've wanted to see a pair of these up close:
http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultralight-Camp-Slipper-in-Sandal-Thong-Flip-Flop-Style/productinfo/CL-N-FLIPFLOP/

.6oz, $1.29. Unfortunately, they only fit up to size 9.

kayak karl
01-01-2014, 21:31
I've wanted to see a pair of these up close:
http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultralight-Camp-Slipper-in-Sandal-Thong-Flip-Flop-Style/productinfo/CL-N-FLIPFLOP/

.6oz, $1.29. Unfortunately, they only fit up to size 9. i have. they are about 1/16th of an inch thick. friend brought the back from Philippines. you can see how they are cut. the strap folds back and goes around heel. an easy DIY

see these http://www.gofastandlight.com/Walk-On-Small-Mauve-The-One-Piece-Camp-Slipper-Shoe/productinfo/CL-FLOP/

Freedom Walker
01-01-2014, 21:57
The crocs I have weigh 16 oz. I think that is the best I can do since I need size 13. They are also very comfortable and work great fording rivers.

wishbone
01-01-2014, 23:04
Teva's. Light weight and compact. Easy to strap to the outside of your pack.

fins1838
01-02-2014, 08:01
Timberland boat type shoes that fold in half & stay that way when zipped. Being a size 13 & lugging Crocs was just annoying. So basically these turn in to 6 1/2's & flatten nicely.

lucky luke
01-02-2014, 10:47
in winter i wear neopren booties, they go over the ankle, are waterproof, insulate enough for a short time and pack flat, about 10$. to stand around in camp i wear my hiking boots. the rest of the year i wear watershoes (just soles and breathable fabric) in camp. i use both for shoes in rivercrossings too.

happy trails
lucky luke

Mooselook Marty
01-02-2014, 12:09
Great thread everyone. Two follow-up questions:
1. Daddytwosticks - which Tevas weigh 11 ounces a pair for size 10? Could not find any that light.
2. Any idea what the weight is for the Walmart Crocs knock-offs?
3. Any idea what the weight is for the Walmart water shoes?

Thanks!
Mooselook Marty

Cedar Tree
01-02-2014, 13:43
The other consideration is whether you want your camp shoes to be ventilated enough to let your feet breathe, or whether you would prefer something that would keep your feet clean and provide some water resistance. I'm in the former camp, so like the Vivo Ultras. If I wanted the latter, I would definitely pick up a pair of CedarTree's cuben booties.

I am not really making any of these anymore. They do pretty much what I want in a campshoe, like Jeff said, clean dry socks are what I'm after. However, feedback is pretty clear these shoes are sweatboxes, and that has been my experience as well. I am considering a newer version that is kind of a cross between a sandal and the current model, hopefully add a little airflow but still provide waterproofness. Traction is bad in these shoes. They are slippery, especially in snow. One good thing I liked about these was I could slip them over my down booties, keeping them clean and dry too. If you don't leave them on for extended periods of time, they work pretty well.
CT

daddytwosticks
01-02-2014, 16:42
Great thread everyone. Two follow-up questions:
1. Daddytwosticks - which Tevas weigh 11 ounces a pair for size 10? Could not find any that light.
2. Any idea what the weight is for the Walmart Crocs knock-offs?
3. Any idea what the weight is for the Walmart water shoes?

Thanks!
Mooselook Marty
I bought them this summer down south here from the NOC Outfitters. They are not the "standard" heavy Tevas. I believe they were advertising them as their "anniversary" edition? Something about the way they were first built? They are lightweight and very compact. Almost like a flip-flop sole with the lightweight strap setup. Durable and comfortable. I think I paid about $50 for them. :)

Mooselook Marty
01-02-2014, 20:35
I bought them this summer down south here from the NOC Outfitters. They are not the "standard" heavy Tevas. I believe they were advertising them as their "anniversary" edition? Something about the way they were first built? They are lightweight and very compact. Almost like a flip-flop sole with the lightweight strap setup. Durable and comfortable. I think I paid about $50 for them. :)

Thank you very much!

Marty

daddytwosticks
01-03-2014, 08:23
Thank you very much!

Marty There was a discussion over on Backpackinglight.com the last few days about very lightweight sandals. If you are interested in sandals as camp shoes, you may want to take a look at that site. Good luck. :)

LAF
01-03-2014, 11:55
thanks daddytwosticks for the backpacking light.com refererence; found a thread that had a reference to something that may be the closest thing to what I've been searching for and at 2.5 ounces:
http://www.zemgear.com/collections/shop-by-activity/hike-and-trail/

Trance
01-03-2014, 13:22
They sell these things called Waldies in Neels Gap..... I didnt bring camp shoes when I started... but I am sure am glad I bought some.... they are great after being in boots all day when you want to get chill and get water.

bamboo bob
01-03-2014, 17:46
In the old days of leather boots, everyone carried sneakers or tevas or something as camp shoes. For a decade now I've hiked in sandals or trail runners and either way I feel no need for camp shoes at all.