PDA

View Full Version : Starting Cash

geomaniac
12-31-2013, 00:43
I am beginning my NOBO on March 15 but still have a few unanswered questions. On top of my question list is Money..How much cash do most people start out with, to pay for things like shuttles and hostels along the way? I plan on carrying a credit card to pay for big items like resupply and gear replacement, but have no idea what kind of cash I should start with. Thanks for the help!

ams212001
12-31-2013, 00:49
I used this as a reference when I thought about this question as well.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?91410-Carry-cash-on-the-trail-on-the-trail-Alteratives

geomaniac
12-31-2013, 00:54
I used this as a reference when I thought about this question as well.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?91410-Carry-cash-on-the-trail-on-the-trail-Alteratives

Thanks for the quick reply, I dont know how that thread got past me, I did a search for "cash" before I posted...Thanks for finding it and bringing it to my attention.

ams212001
12-31-2013, 01:00
No problem. Searching old forums here can feel like an art form at times!

Dogwood
12-31-2013, 02:24
No problem. Searching old forums here can feel like an art form at times!

ohh boy. LOL. there outta be a how to do a WB search toll free number listed on the top of every Forum and on the Search tab. i'd probably be connected to someone in India. those ph operators in India are so helpful, nice, and patient even after all the abuse I've put them through. whoever trains them is doing one heck of a job.

bigcranky
12-31-2013, 10:42
I like to have maybe a hundred bucks in cash -- small bills, nothing over a 20. And a debit card, which I can use at the grocery store and get cash back with no fee.

Zippy Morocco
12-31-2013, 11:19
The post office offers cash back too. I often forget that one. I think $100 is the most I ever carried. It usually lasted a long time too. Most everyone takes cards. Still, it is good to have small bills for shuttles, tipping etc.

kayak karl
12-31-2013, 11:40
i always fear my debit card being lost or stolen and being cleaned out. especially on trail. lose it in one town and realize 4 days later in next.
i have 2 accounts and have an auto transfer of $100 a week (can do it by phone to change or add). this way if i lose card max out maybe $200, not $5000. this paranoia of mine comes from where i live, not the trail.
i NEVER talk about money on the trail.

Bronk
12-31-2013, 20:21
Carry enough cash so that if your pack is stolen and you lose your credit card you can sit in a motel for a few days while they mail you a new card. On my thruhike attempt I tried to have around $300 in cash on me.

RED-DOG
12-31-2013, 20:30
I always tried to keep between 100 to 150 in cash on me and a debit card is a thru-hiker's best friend, and i never talk about cash on the trail EVER.

atraildreamer
01-01-2014, 12:24
i always fear my debit card being lost or stolen and being cleaned out. especially on trail. lose it in one town and realize 4 days later in next. i have 2 accounts and have an auto transfer of $100 a week (can do it by phone to change or add). this way if i lose card max out maybe $200, not $5000. this paranoia of mine comes from where i live, not the trail. i NEVER talk about money on the trail. I know you may not have much use for it on a hike, but I found out you can load cash, (up to $500), into your AAA card, (I have the AAA Gold plan), and use it like a prepaid debit card. If the card is stolen, who is going to know if you have any money on it? Along with your regular debit or credit card and ready cash, it would be a nice emergency backup to have with you.

10-K
01-01-2014, 16:50
Completely off topic but when I hiked the last 800 miles of the AT I replaced my debit and credit card because I was paranoid of the magnetic strip causing problems from wear. My cards were all well used.

It would suck to have a card that wouldn't swipe.

About_Time
01-01-2014, 18:24
To minimize/avoid ATM fees I would get $500-700 depending on bank. I then would split it so that I didn't have to flash a lot of cash and just in case anything happened. I also never left money unattended. I was paranoid about my hike being hampered by a theft.

kayak karl
01-01-2014, 19:29
To minimize/avoid ATM fees I would get $500-700 depending on bank. I then would split it so that I didn't have to flash a lot of cash and just in case anything happened. I also never left money unattended. I was paranoid about my hike being hampered by a theft.
i never had any ATM fee's. used cards at stores and hostels or cash back (must stores and the post office were free).

budforester
01-01-2014, 22:22
The post office offers cash back too. I often forget that one. I think $100 is the most I ever carried. It usually lasted a long time too. Most everyone takes cards. Still, it is good to have small bills for shuttles, tipping etc.
Thanks! I didn't know about cash- back at the Post Office.

Blissful
01-02-2014, 21:34
Carry around $100 stashed in a couple of places. Also carry a couple old fashioned checks.

geomaniac
01-02-2014, 22:00
Thanks everyone for the great advise. I now at least have some ideas. I will carry my debit card and probably $150 in small bills.

kayak karl
01-02-2014, 22:25
Also carry a couple old fashioned checks. i still use them :(

Dogwood
01-02-2014, 23:01
Thanks everyone for the great advise. I now at least have some ideas. I will carry my debit card and probably $150 in small bills.

D.B. Cooper is smiling on ya. :D

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2014, 02:37
Thanks! I didn't know about cash- back at the Post Office.Just don't go into a really small town PO early in the am (esp on Sat) when they open and expect them to have $100 cash to give you. Many won't have more than $25 to $50 in their drawer.

bamboo bob
01-03-2014, 17:53
Completely off topic but when I hiked the last 800 miles of the AT I replaced my debit and credit card because I was paranoid of the magnetic strip causing problems from wear. My cards were all well used.

i've had that happen but stores can just type in the number.

BillyGr
01-03-2014, 19:35

i've had that happen but stores can just type in the number.

The only problem is that many places can only type it in as credit, which would not allow for cash back (like a debit would). But at least you could buy whatever it was you needed.

kayak karl
01-03-2014, 20:03
The only problem is that many places can only type it in as credit, which would not allow for cash back (like a debit would). But at least you could buy whatever it was you needed. i don't think that is the case anymore or at least i've never seen it. i can swipe cards on my phone it's that simple now, and on the trail i will give cash back for a small 14% fee :D

jus10kase
01-09-2014, 21:59
I usually had 80, credit card, debit card. It was always on me, not in my pack.