PDA

View Full Version : Thruhikers.net

planner
08-30-2005, 01:30
I would like to take the time to announce a new web site that is getting off the ground. I am hoping it will be as successful as this web site. If is half as successful I will be happy.

The web site is called “Thru hikers” and the address is www.thruhikers.net.

This web site is designed for anyone who desires or wants to do a thru hike on any trail in the United State. I currently have 7 trail forums on this web site. They are all well known trails in the states. These trails include the Long Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide Trail, North Country National Scenic Trail, American Discovery Trail, and Benton MacKaye Trail. More trails forums can be added also. I am not going to add the Appalachian Trail to the web site at this time. I see no need to do so because WhiteBlaze has this area covered. There is not need to any other Appalachian Trail web site as far as I am concerned.

You are more then welcome to come to the web site now and register and look around. But keep in mind this web site is still under construction. It is not compete yet. The American Discovery Trail, Benton MacKaye Trail section are not been set up yet.

Please leave your feedback, ideas or suggestions in the “Web site feedback” forum. I would like to know what you think of the web site along with what you would like to see and or have changed.

There used to be a web site similar to this on the web at www.thruhikers.com but it had problems and it went offline and has been offline for a long time now. I have contacted the owner of this web site and told him of my plans to us the name www.thruhikers.net and he was very understanding about it. I asked to get his domain name also. But his response was that he is working on his site and plans on putting it back up someday.

The web site is on a very small server at this time. If it takes off like I am hoping I can put it on a server that will handle a bigger load.

Please let me know on the site how I can make it better. I need your help to make this site successful.

Thank you all very much.

Admin at thruhiker.net

Spirit Walker
08-30-2005, 09:25
It's the Pacific Crest Trail - not the Coast Trail.

Streamweaver
08-31-2005, 10:36
Might be a bit of confusion since www.thru-hiker.com has been around for quite awhile and is very popular.But anyway good luck with your new site!! Streamweaver

planner
09-01-2005, 03:51
Might be a bit of confusion since www.thru-hiker.com has been around for quite awhile and is very popular.But anyway good luck with your new site!! Streamweaver

I tried looking for domain names that were not taken. I could only find two, thruhikes.net and thruhikers.net that related to what the web site was designed for. I felt bad that I settled for thruhikers.net because Stephen the owner of thruhikers.com had been using that name and a web site that was similar to what I designed. My idea was not stolen from his. This has been something I have been throwing around for a long time. The reason I settled for thruhikers.net was because thruhikers.com had been down for so long I thought it was not going to come back up. So I wrote and email to Stephen after I put the web site online and asked if I could use thruhikers.com. He wrote back after I had the web site up and running and that was when I found out that he was going to bring the site back online later on when he could get things going.

So now that I know this I am contemplating whether I should change the name to www.thruhikes.net now or not. If anyone else can come up with some domain names that are not taken that will fit what the site is designed for then please let me know. I am open to ideas.

frieden
09-23-2005, 10:29
My domain used to be hikingnews.com, but I missed the renewal, and lost it. Last I saw, it was on sale for $20,000.