PDA

View Full Version : Naproxen vs. Ibuprofin

squeezebox
12-31-2013, 13:37
Does anybody use Naproxen// Aleve instead of Ibuprofin? I like that it's a 12 hour dose, instead of the 4-6 hour dose for Ibuprofin. Works well for me.

Praha4
12-31-2013, 13:39
I've used both Alleve and Ibuprofin, and Alleve (Naproxen) works better for me. Always carry a small amount on hiking trips.

jimmyjam
12-31-2013, 13:51
I'll take naproxen in the morning with breakfast on those days I know I'm going to try and do some high mileage (over 15 mpd for me). I find it works wonders for my knees.

LAF
12-31-2013, 13:54
naproxen has always worked better for me wrt inflammation, which I can get some days with my knees. i try not to take anything but there are some days where it really helps, that's also a sign for me to take a zero day

OCDave
12-31-2013, 14:04
Naproxen- Maximum daily dose is 4 tabs vs 12 tabs for Ibuprofen. Even if slightly more expensive, there will be a cost, weight and space savings w/Naproxen. Naproxen is also the least risky NSAID for individuals with cardiovascular history.

As always, medical advice from anonymous posters on the internet should be viewed with extreme sceptisicm. Speak with a physician or pharmacist or RN regarding your own health and anything you put in your body.

Good Luck

Rocket Jones
12-31-2013, 14:26
Clear it with your doctor first, or at least check with a pharmacist. I'm not allowed to take either because of interaction with my daily prescription medication.

bigcranky
12-31-2013, 15:04
If you can take NSAIDs, then Naproxin is worth a look. I prefer it since I can take two a day, which is much easier to remember. I understand that some folks have more stomach upset with it, though.

Ktaadn
12-31-2013, 15:24
I feel like Ibuprofin works better for me for more acute pain. Naproxen is nice to take before bed for me general soreness and it does last longer. I'm sure that everyone's body reacts differently though.

Kookork
12-31-2013, 15:45
Naproxen is the newer generation of NSAIDS( non steroid anti inflammatory drugs) compare to Ibuprofen . It is like the new Chevy vs old Chevy.

Some might say the older Chevy were better but generally speaking newer NSAIDS are more effective and need less frequent use. The only downfall is that Naproxen starts to work slower that Ibuprofen but we are talking about minuted not hours.

googlywoogly
12-31-2013, 17:04
I have found that taking a Curcumin supplement works better than both Ibuprofin & Naproxen where the reduction of inflammation is the goal. It also doesn't have the side effect warnings that the NSAIDs carry with them.

Your mileage may vary, but certainly worth a try.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78

From the link above:

A Potent, Yet Safe Anti-InflammatoryThe volatile oil fraction of turmeric has demonstrated significant anti-inflammatory activity in a variety of experimental models. Even more potent than its volatile oil is the yellow or orange pigment of turmeric, which is called curcumin. Curcumin is thought to be the primary pharmacological agent in turmeric. In numerous studies, curcumin's anti-inflammatory effects have been shown to be comparable to the potent drugs hydrocortisone and phenylbutazone as well as over-the-counter anti-inflammatory agents such as Motrin. Unlike the drugs, which are associated with significant toxic effects (ulcer formation, decreased white blood cell count, intestinal bleeding), curcumin produces no toxicity.

I have sciatic nerve issues, and when I take a curcumin supplement it manages the pain better than other over the counter medications. If I stop taking it my back hurts bad enough to keep me off the hiking trail...

Kerosene
12-31-2013, 18:19
Note that you will want to let the NSAID build-up in your system for a few days. I now take it pre-emptively to try to keep the swelling down in my knees. Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) is much easier to dose than good ole Vitamin I.

Kookork
12-31-2013, 19:42
I have found that taking a Curcumin supplement works better than both Ibuprofin & Naproxen where the reduction of inflammation is the goal. It also doesn't have the side effect warnings that the NSAIDs carry with them.

Your mileage may vary, but certainly worth a try.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78

From the link above:

A Potent, Yet Safe Anti-Inflammatory

The volatile oil fraction of turmeric has demonstrated significant anti-inflammatory activity in a variety of experimental models. Even more potent than its volatile oil is the yellow or orange pigment of turmeric, which is called curcumin. Curcumin is thought to be the primary pharmacological agent in turmeric. In numerous studies, curcumin's anti-inflammatory effects have been shown to be comparable to the potent drugs hydrocortisone and phenylbutazone as well as over-the-counter anti-inflammatory agents such as Motrin. Unlike the drugs, which are associated with significant toxic effects (ulcer formation, decreased white blood cell count, intestinal bleeding), curcumin produces no toxicity.

I have sciatic nerve issues, and when I take a curcumin supplement it manages the pain better than other over the counter medications. If I stop taking it my back hurts bad enough to keep me off the hiking trail...

Turmeric is a very common spice of middle eastern especially Iranian and I use it frequently. One should note that it has anti inflammatory effects and is not a pain killer. In situations that inflammation is the source of pain it may act like a pain killer though.

QiWiz
12-31-2013, 20:02
Yes, full dose is 4 tabs/day rather than 12 for ibuprofen, so less tabs to take and less weight to carry. We're talking fractions of grams saved every day!

Wise Old Owl
12-31-2013, 23:59
Naproxen... hands down

kythruhiker
01-01-2014, 00:38
Personally, Vitamin-I has always worked better than naproxen.

moocow
01-01-2014, 01:36
Naproxen. Seems like it works better, and if I'm counting grams (which I'm not) I can carry less.

Leanthree
01-01-2014, 04:52
Add me to the naproxen camp. I never saw much effect with vitamin-I so I stopped taking it, then one day someone recommended naproxen and it made the pain night and day.

theinfamousj
01-01-2014, 13:00
Vitamin I works for me. Plus, I like that the doses work for shorter time periods so that I can dial in exactly as much medication as I need and not overdose.

Then again, I have a naturally high pain tolerance, so a single vitamin I can get me through 12 hours.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Mas Mejor
01-28-2014, 09:10
Judicious combinations work best for me, reducing intestinal issues, which can be doubly inconvenient on the trail.

A co-worker just mentioned a great recipe for turmeric chicken. Gotta go back and get it from her.

Starchild
01-28-2014, 10:25
Never took Naproxin, sometimes the I stuff. I also used ginger supplements (and ginger root) as a natural anti-inflammatory, though that is something that does not the sudden effect as the I stuff for me.

colorado_rob
01-28-2014, 10:30
Both work for me, so I simply mix them up, the Naproxen seems to last a tad longer with smaller doses. On huge days (for me, 20-25 miles) I take up to five or six 200mg Ibuprofins, but only 2-3 Alieve's. Lessor days I cut those back to half of that, and some days I try to take none whatsoever. (I am getting up there, 57, so my joints/etc need some pain relief most hiking days).

Kerosene
01-28-2014, 10:55
On my most recent section hike (Pinkham Notch to Rangeley) I started at 600 mg of Napoxen Sodium twice a day. On Day 3 my foot got stuck between two rocks while I was striding, resulting in the heel of that foot firmly implanted in my buttocks given my forward motion and the weight of my pack; the forced stretch (I heard a lot of ligaments and scar tissue 'cracking' as I went down) actually seemed to help(!) but I upped my dosage to 800 mg. A few days later descended from Speck too quickly (I was feeling great after the Notch and following ascents) and the knee started to swell big time. I upped my dose to 1000 mg twice a day until I reached the end of my hike 4 days later. I tapered off my dosage by 200 mg per day as I was able to apply ice.

You certainly shouldn't sustain that level of dosing for very long, but I've had 3 physicians assure me that it shouldn't hurt me if I dose at meals. Of course, speak with your own doctor.

lemon b
02-02-2014, 13:46
I try and avoid both so I can tell what my body is saying. When I do take something it is 400 mg of Vit I. Then maybe another 200.
My doctor also said take it with food and a nice long drink of water. If the discomfort gets over the top I rest. If really over the top I'll take whatever script a doctor suggests. Never had one say here take these perks and drive on. More like take these n rest those old joints than proceed at the rate your body accepts. Hiking is for fun not discomfort. At least at my age.

DocMahns
02-02-2014, 13:57
I always prescribed Naproxen to my marines vs. Mortin, it's easier to remember to take one tab every 12 hours vs three times a day with mortin. Naproxen also has a lower max dose (mortin is 800mg three times a day for max prescription dose). Motrin also needs 72 hours of constant dosing to reach its maximum therapeutic blood levels.

msujay
02-10-2014, 21:12
I prefer bourbon.

And then Naproxen or Vitamin I the next morning.