PDA

View Full Version : Days from Springer to NOC?

slbirdnerd
12-31-2013, 15:32
Question: You're an average to experienced hiker. How many days does it take you to hike from Cooper Gap (12.3 miles north of Springer) to the NOC? Just thinkin' out loud...

map man
12-31-2013, 15:37
The average completing NOBO thru-hiker, hiking in March or April, takes 12 to 13 days to cover this (124.9 miles). The average "experienced" hiker might take a day or two less. There's a lot of variance, though, among hikers -- but you did ask for the average.

MuddyWaters
12-31-2013, 15:51
An experienced hiker would be able to answer that question based on their own prior experiences.
Some people hike 10 mpd, some hike 20+ mpd.
It makes a pretty big difference.

125 miles for a 12mpd hiker, would be 10.5 days, throw in a day to resupply at Hiawassee and youve got exactly what mapman said.

slbirdnerd
12-31-2013, 16:19
Thanks, guys. I will have 2 weeks off but that includes drive time. Sounds like a maybe. Personally, I think "Boss, I'm almost to the NOC so I'll be late getting back to work" sounds like a perfectly good excuse to me, no?

MuddyWaters
12-31-2013, 16:35
If you run behind, you can bail out at lots of road crossings and get a shuttle back to noc. Dont let fear of not making a schedule stop you. If you arent targetting high miles to start with, its not a problem to walk an extra hour per day and pick up a couple more miles.

Whack-a-mole
01-01-2014, 13:09
If 10k replies to this, don't take his advise! He would do this section in about 4 days! He can cover some ground. Some of us are too old and slow. Take into account that is a pretty good drive up to Springer, so you get a little bit of a late start on the first day. If you start at Cooper gap you will gain a days walking, but miss some very pretty woods and waterfalls. It took me 15 days to do that section, but most people could do it faster. A lot will also depend on if you decide to stop at a shelter with daylight left,or keep going to maximize your walking time, and then camp somewhere. Also, Mtn Crossings is a pretty cool place, and it's easy (and nice) to loose a couple hours there. Regardless of how you do it, there are some beautiful views through that part of the trail, especially in winter when the leaves are down.

max patch
01-01-2014, 13:58
Took me 13 days.

may want to consider franklin as an alternative; 27 miles shorter. When you arrive you can decide about continuing on to the NOC.

10-K
01-01-2014, 16:48
If 10k replies to this, don't take his advise! He would do this section in about 4 days! He can cover some ground. Some of us are too old and slow.

Oh now.. there's lots of people here who out-hike me coming and going!

In November I made it from Springer to NOC in the morning of the 7th day. I remember because I got there before the outfitter opened.

This stretch of trail is absolutely perfect for just showing up at Springer to start hiking - resupply is frequent and easy as pie.

takethisbread
01-01-2014, 16:55
it's 10 days if you are seriously hiking. that includes a Nero in hiawasee . the first day in GA and the first two days in Nc are pretty rough tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MuddyWaters
01-01-2014, 19:00
it's 10 days if you are seriously hiking. that includes a Nero in hiawasee . the first day in GA and the first two days in Nc are pretty rough tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Shows how different people react in different ways.
Depends on the weight you are carrying at the time, how hydrated you are, and how well fed you are.

I thought the last 2 days (40miles) in GA were the worst of GA, and immediately found NC to be nicely graded walking, much easier to make 20mpd.

Papa D
01-01-2014, 21:55
If you shuttle me and buy me a big dinner and a pint at the NOC, I'll race 10K.
Seriously, for me, this is about 1 week of normal hiking at about 18 mpd.

slbirdnerd
01-02-2014, 10:56
Thanks, all. I will probably play it by ear but should be able to make NOC with the time I have. I'm not sure anything will be as tough as Springer to Cooper Gap was last June, with a whining boy scout complaining the WHOLE TIME. I love him, but he is staying at home this time! :)

Kerosene
01-02-2014, 16:00
In my case (fit 56-yo with a bum knee carrying 25 pounds in spring or fall), I'd plan on 8 days to cover that distance. I'd probably camp near Ramrock Mtn., Neel Gap, Blue Mtn., Dicks Creek Gap, Standing Indian, Big Spring, Wayah Gap (or spring up the mountain), and NOC after a long last day.