PDA

View Full Version : January 1!

10-K
12-31-2013, 16:50
Well.. about 4-5 times a day the PCT pops in my head and I've been pushing it out until 2014.

2014 is here and I'm giving myself permission to start obsessing about the hike for an hour a day... In February I'll bump it up to 2 hours a day. March... all bets are off. :)

I'm pretty sure I could be ready in a hour or 2.

garbanz
12-31-2013, 17:22
You and me both! Except I fell while exiting a deer hunting tree stand a month ago and am currently hiking with a hobble like Walter Brennan. Given the wealth of online resources Im starting headstrong with the planning phase in January. Its something I cant turn loose of and since the physical dimension is only part of a LDH Im hoping the right exercise and a heating pad will get me to Campo.

map man
12-31-2013, 17:34
Well.. about 4-5 times a day the PCT pops in my head and I've been pushing it out until 2014.

2014 is here and I'm giving myself permission to start obsessing about the hike for an hour a day... In February I'll bump it up to 2 hours a day. March... all bets are off. :)

Come March you'll catch yourself asking your shuttle customers whether they want to be dropped off in Wrightwood or Aqua Dulce?

Malto
12-31-2013, 17:37
You are much better than I was. I limited my obsession prior to my hike to waking hours. Sleep was reserved for dreams about skipping down the shade covered trails of SoCal, next to waterfalls and cool oasis. Then I wake up and obsess all over. Funny enough, I was walking home from work and I was thinking about how much I would like to hiking those brush covered hills of SoCal. But you will have to do it for me!

juma
12-31-2013, 17:57
keep obsessing - its builds motivation. march is good. My weather prediction is that it will be dry this winter in socal and not much water on the trail. The only really annoying thing is the wind and sun. You are gonna hit it from the gitgo. obsess about how you are going to beat the wind at nite and sun in the day. I hope you have black hair and olive skin. If not, don't delay applying sp150 million. take vagisil and use as indicated. I really don't doubt you can do it because clearly you are a mutant who walks among us.

bigcranky
12-31-2013, 18:06
garbanz -- Thank you for the Walter Brennan visual. Awesome.

10-K
12-31-2013, 18:35
I was all hopped up to order my permit tomorrow and went to pcta.org and found out they're not issuing until February 1.

Dang. :)

10-K
12-31-2013, 18:40
What would I do with Vagisil?

Maybe I don't want to know.. .....

:)

juma
12-31-2013, 20:14
crotch angst and redness. easy to get a case of the red azz monkey butt. didja not cyber hike the pct in 2013 with spitfire? that right there was a lesson learned.

Coffee
12-31-2013, 20:28

I'm sure I'll be obsessing over the PCT a year from today looking forward to my 2015 thru hike! I'm envious of the 2014 hikers especially since it looks like it might turn out to be a low snow year (although that brings its own set of problems for CA of course...)

10-K
12-31-2013, 20:42
Low snow is fine with me. That's my major concern, coming from the southeast.

Malto
12-31-2013, 20:52
crotch angst and redness. easy to get a case of the red azz monkey butt. didja not cyber hike the pct in 2013 with spitfire? that right there was a lesson learned.

Good to hear he finished this time. His 2011 experience had to be one of the most drama filled adventures that I have read. Medicated powder is less messy and works for all sorts of rashes, stinks and maladies.

capehiker
12-31-2013, 20:53
10-K, when is your start date? I'm excited for you. The PCT is high up on the to-do list. I find myself researching the PCT more than the AT.

10-K
12-31-2013, 21:11
It's fluid right now but I'm planning on arriving in San Diego around the time of the kick off. Looking forward to it!

Malto
12-31-2013, 21:27
Will 2014 look like this

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/PLOT_SWC.2013

or more like this

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/PLOT_SWC.2011

I am guessing the former.

Dogwood
12-31-2013, 22:31
It's fluid right now but I'm planning on arriving in San Diego around the time of the kick off. Looking forward to it!

Don't know how you plan on getting to Campo but after flying into Diego I spent one night there at a Hostel in the Gas Lamp District. I had to stop by one of the REIs in the area. Up to that pt I was not sure how I was getting to the southern terminus. Met two REI employees at the REI, one on the Board of Directors of REI, who were also planning on hiking the PCT starting the next morning. Ride to the southern terminus solved. :cool: Check the ride board at PCT-L or for the KO or catch the bus and walk/hitch the rest of the way to the southern terminus.

Dogwood
12-31-2013, 22:33
You'll be out there 5 months or so. what's your hurry? STOP, drinking high test coffee.

10-K
12-31-2013, 22:43
Will 2014 look like this

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/PLOT_SWC.2013

or more like this

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/PLOT_SWC.2011

I am guessing the former.

So you're predicting a big snow year?

10-K
12-31-2013, 22:49
Don't know how you plan on getting to Campo but after flying into Diego I spent one night there at a Hostel in the Gas Lamp District. I had to stop by one of the REIs in the area. Up to that pt I was not sure how I was getting to the southern terminus. Met two REI employees at the REI, one on the Board of Directors of REI, who were also planning on hiking the PCT starting the next morning. Ride to the southern terminus solved. :cool: Check the ride board at PCT-L or for the KO or catch the bus and walk/hitch the rest of the way to the southern terminus.

I'm tentatively going to connect with Frodo and Sandy (?) - folks listed as trail angels on the PCT website. I contacted them in November and they said 'no problem' just get back with them after the first of the year.

Don't know anything about them really so if anyone knows these folks feedback appreciated.

Dogwood
12-31-2013, 22:59
They are good people. I've gotten rides from them.

enyapjr
12-31-2013, 23:28
I'm tentatively going to connect with Frodo and Sandy (?) - folks listed as trail angels on the PCT website. I contacted them in November and they said 'no problem' just get back with them after the first of the year.

Don't know anything about them really so if anyone knows these folks feedback appreciated.

Great folks! Barney "Scout" & Sandy "Frodo" Mann hiked the PCT in '07; Barney is currently the PCTA Board Chair...
There are other angels in San Diego area, too - and if the Mann's are 'full', they will get you a place to stay w/ one of the other angels.

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

*Hiking (& hanging) the PCT in 2014*

moytoy
01-01-2014, 10:24
Good luck with your hike. Are you doing a TJ or Blog during the trip?

Attila
01-01-2014, 14:15
10-K,

Have fun on the PCT. Thanks for the ride this past weekend.My wife enjoyed her 1st AT hike and planning to join me on some of my future sections. Let me know if you are hiking the Sheltowee trace again. I can help you with logistics.

Take care,

Attila

10-K
01-01-2014, 16:20
10-K,

Have fun on the PCT. Thanks for the ride this past weekend.My wife enjoyed her 1st AT hike and planning to join me on some of my future sections. Let me know if you are hiking the Sheltowee trace again. I can help you with logistics.

Take care,

Attila

Thanks Attila! It was great to meet you and your wife. I thought about y'all when it started pouring down rain remembering I said it wasn't going to rain. :)

Glad she had a good hike too.

10-K
01-01-2014, 16:21
Good luck with your hike. Are you doing a TJ or Blog during the trip?

I doubt it.. lots of work. I'll probably update my Facebook page fairly regularly and that'll be it.